• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

roflwaffles

Oct 30, 2017
If you could ask Itsuno a question, what would you ask him?

[Hidden content]
When are you making a new versus style fighting game that will include all these DMC characters.

I have a few complaints with the combat and I was wondering if anyone felt the same. Actually it has more to do with the ranking system than the combat.

V is broken in this regard. You can literally mash triangle and square and you will get an SSS in no time.
Dante is also WAY too easy to get SSS with. Just do a few combos and then switch you devil arm and you'll continue to raise your rank all the way up to SSS with minimal effort.

I truly believe Nero is the only one that seems to have a balanced ranking system as it seems to require legit effort to hit SSS.

Weirdly enough I have no issue hitting S ranks with Nero but most of my Dante missions are A rank.

Thickstone

Oct 27, 2017
It's nothing like the second half of DMC4, who told you that?
The game definitely picks up during the second half, the common negative being the level design is a bit dull though I don't mind it.

It just sounds similar in the sense that the first half is great fun and then the pacing falls off a cliff. Same happened in DMC 4 to me and the complaints here make it seems as if the same could happen in DMC 5, albeit for different reasons.

Oct 25, 2017
It just sounds similar in the sense that the first half is great fun and then the pacing falls off a cliff. Same happened in DMC 4 to me and the complaints here make it seems as if the same could happen in DMC 5, albeit for different reasons.
The pacing didn't fall off though, it literally picked up during the second half.
DMC 4's problem was Dante's campaign being a backtrack fest with no unique bosses of his own.
DMC 5 has none of those problem save for the level design criticism.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
The weirdest thing regarding costumes is you can't even use the mission 10 variant of Dante (cleaner jacket/shorter hair).

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
Empathy ReShade
9F874131A6A4D37237A381E4CD01B9803ABDDD0B

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
He literally knows that Vergil split himself in two and tries it on himself, right after waking up after a month and bouncing on V and Griffin. So he either knows V is Vergil's humanity from the moment he accepts the job or thinks V is just some random dude who happens to know these insanely specific details on his brother and his machinations. Probably the former.

Does he know exactly what happened to Vergil though? Why would he stab himself and risk unleashing another monstrosity on the world and turning himself into a dying weakling if he knew V was Vergil? I think Dante just thinks Urizan is super Vergil because that's what happened when he stabbed himself. And if he knows V is Vergil, why would he trust him to get anywhere near Urizan? Why would he go along with V's mission in the first place? Surely any plan of Vergil's is a trap to kill him.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Finished SoS earlier.
It showed me how bad my Dante is compared to the other two, haha. The difficulty was fine until I got to his levels.
Cerberus is my favorite of his weapons, I feel most comfortable with its tools in most situations, and his last boss taught me to appreciate Royalguard. Kind of unfortunate though that it makes my old favorite style feel less worthwhile outside of teleporting in to attack, Royalguard has a higher risk but a much higher reward than just dodging with Trickster.

DMD is going to be the real test, I haven't played that in the past games. I'm not too worried about my Nero, but hopefully what I learned with Dante will pay off.

Oct 28, 2017
Does he know exactly what happened to Vergil though? Why would he stab himself and risk unleashing another monstrosity on the world and turning himself into a dying weakling if he knew V was Vergil? I think Dante just thinks Urizan is super Vergil because that's what happened when he stabbed himself. And if he knows V is Vergil, why would he trust him to get anywhere near Urizan? Why would he go along with V's mission in the first place? Surely any plan of Vergil's is a trap to kill him.

Dante knows that Rebellion is some key to becoming stronger. After all, his Devil Trigger became accessible in DMC3 after he was impaled with it. I guess he was just desperate to merge with it or figure something out to take down Vergil.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Finished SoS earlier.
It showed me how bad my Dante is compared to the other two, haha. The difficulty was fine until I got to his levels.
Cerberus is my favorite of his weapons, I feel most comfortable with its tools in most situations, and his last boss taught me to appreciate Royalguard. Kind of unfortunate though that it makes my old favorite style feel less worthwhile outside of teleporting in to attack, Royalguard has a higher risk but a much higher reward than just dodging with Trickster.

DMD is going to be the real test, I haven't played that in the past games. I'm not too worried about my Nero, but hopefully what I learned with Dante will pay off.
Every style for Dante has a place and purpose in DMC5. Gunslinger used to be mediocre in previous games with some exceptions but here it is amazing.

Oct 28, 2017
Finished SoS earlier.

My last Dante boss tips are
go into Swordmaster and hold down the style button with Devil Sword Dante until you get the homing swords, and let those chase Vergil while you focus on dodging Judgement Cuts with Trickster. The homing swords will stun Vergil long enough for you to close distance and fuck him up. Also, equip Balrog when summoned swords surround you and do your jump if you have the attack that does damage upon jumping. You'll instantly destroy them. Shotgun is good for destroying any summoned swords that Vergil surrounds himself with.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
Every style for Dante has a place and purpose in DMC5. Gunslinger used to be mediocre in previous games with some exceptions but here it is amazing.
Oh yeah, it's still good. I made a lot of use out of it even when using Royalguard. The teleport does a lot, both in keeping me on my target and dodging things.

I guess I'd just like to see it have it's own reward mechanic for dodges like Royalguard has for blocking.

I started using Gunslinger in areas after you gave me an earlier tip about it, and it has been very helpful.
go into Swordmaster and hold down the style button with Devil Sword Dante until you get the homing swords, and let those chase Vergil while you focus on dodging Judgement Cuts with Trickster. The homing swords will stun Vergil long enough for you to close distance and fuck him up. Also, equip Balrog when summoned swords surround you and do your jump if you have the attack that does damage upon jumping. You'll instantly destroy them. Shotgun is good for destroying any summoned swords that Vergil surrounds himself with.
I ended up just using Cerberus in that fight in order to give myself less to keep track of while switching styles and guns(like you said, shotgun for dealing with summoned swords, otherwise I had Double Kalina Ann.

I don't really like using Balrog, but was able to deal with him surrounding me with summoned swords with Ice Age, which also was a safe way to get parries on him.

I'll keep all that in mind for when I reach him on DMD though.

Ciphyde

Nov 22, 2017
I have no idea what im doing wrong with mission 10, S+ in every battle
and still cant get S rank wtf

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
heaven or hell is so carthartic lmao. just spamming gun to murder everything instantly like a dumbass. feels so good after the slog that was DMD

went through mission 11 with Dante royalguard only was actually super annoying because enemies don't attack nearly as often as you want to charge the guard. at least i know some attack patterns better.

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Okay, I beat the game. Still nothing. What's the deal with these 'stumes? Why don't they appear on the select screen with the alt colours?

Lady and Trish Costume Pack:

kSjxX.jpeg

Really hoping for a pretty, DMC4-looking Nero to pop up too, but that's neither here nor there. I'm mostly just glad Dante finally looks as awesome as he did in DMC1 again. Anyway! Anybody have any clue what's up with this?

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
i feel yur pain. Trying to get S rank on SoS right now.

Lol I'm glad others are feeling my pain. I went to bed at 5 am last night doing that shit. In the end I barely got the S. My advice is that if you're not getting at least around 4500 style points in every encounter then restart. You won't get the S. Also just use SDT to finish the boss in seconds.

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
Honest question: I'm decent but not great at these type of games. Does getting S rank or whatever make any real difference, apart from crushing my soul when I continually fail to achieve it? (Haven't bought or played yet.)

neonneongod

Feb 21, 2019
Honest question: I'm decent but not great at these type of games. Does getting S rank or whatever make any real difference, apart from crushing my soul when I continually fail to achieve it? (Haven't bought or played yet.)

Bonus currency for upgrades and a few trophies. Not much aside from bragging rights.

QisTopTier

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
My tip is.
Just royal guard everything and 3 shot him ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Carbonox

Dec 13, 2017
Mission 8 on SoS, pls. S ranked it second try but fuck me are most of the encounters impossible to generate any style points in. There's a real warped metric system on certain missions, as if some of them are just outright bugged. I'm pretty consistent but shit varies depending on very particular missions. Can't wait for mission 10 given the pain that was on DH to S rank.

Oct 25, 2017
i realise this is meant to be played on higher and higher difficulties with everything available, but the pacing was super weird on my first devil hunter playthrough. when the credits started rolling I was kind of like... wait, what? it felt like we were just getting started.

i had a fantastic time with the game once I made peace with what it was

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
So I tried the cinematic reshade "mod" dont think it worked at all . Is there like an easy tutorial for implementing reshade ? I get the menus and all that to pop up when the game launches but nothing changes .

Make sure the game is set on DX11
Download all the effects when installing to the game directory
Go to edit setting and like locate the ReShade preset you downloaded

After that close it and start the game and ReShade should automatically everything.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
IT IS DONE
DiligentRemarkableBlueshark-max-1mb.gif

D1vWvJyWsAELNCK.jpg

D1vWu0aX4AENf06.jpg

It wasn't even my best run smh but thank god it's over, My hand needs to heal
LA2SalU.png

Last edited:

Finnroth

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the styling at all, and even less than that for V. I am trying to do the S ranks in DH right now and can't get anywhere with V - it doesn't really matter how high I rank, how long I have S/SS/SSS I always get 3.3-3.7k points for a fight and for the life of my, it won't get better o_O how do you guys do that? I am not playing him very well, but that could probably be said for Nero and Dante as well, for which I don't have that issue (except for the Prologue).