• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Wish there was a way to disable lock on grab after you beat DH. Would just like circle to be Devil breaker only

Same. I've been trying to use different arms for Furies with Nero to see what works well to parry, but it's so much easier to stay locked on when they teleport around which screws that up.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
I can't seem to pull off the "two sam time" ??? (not sure what the English name is ... or what the Japanese is supposed to be), despite following the instructions of pressing circle immediately after square, or vice versa. In fact, it actually doesn't seem to let me press square immediately after my last shot in circle.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Doing V missions as Nero is so much better

lIX4Pnv.jpg

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
I'll give this game one thing, it loads fast, really fucking fast.
Almost too fast, I never get to read those story recap things.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
speaking of spoils

My absolute favourite part of post game is just Vergil sitting in the van on the background screens looking mildly pissed off

what a dork

CQC

Oct 25, 2017
It seems like the game's final boss is very obvious of who it will be. Even from the E3 reveal trailer.

Feel like most DMC fans anticipated it. However,
it's cool that Nero being Vergil's son is canon now.

and

Seeing Dante and Vergil get along at the end was a nice touch.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
speaking of spoils

My absolute favourite part of post game is just Vergil sitting in the van on the background screens looking mildly pissed off

what a dork

Same.

Haven't seen it mentioned much but I like how there's unique little scenes that show for each mission start screen too.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Same.

Haven't seen it mentioned much but I like how there's unique little scenes that show for each mission start screen too.

Yeah the little diaoramas and how they relate to the current situation are great.

They fit a lot of personality into that little van

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
So I get how Nico made Punchline from the fires of Goliath and Helter Skelter from his vortex.

Ragtime from Greyon and Rawhide from Gilgamesh makes sense as well.

But what did she base on Artemis to make Tomboy and Buster?

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
Yeah the little diaoramas and how they relate to the current situation are great.

They fit a lot of personality into that little van
Yeah but its repetitive and kind if pointless. It would be nice if there was actually some life behind these scenes. Like VA of the cast talking to each other or practicing or whatever. As things stand, there is only so many times I can look at Lady peeking inside the van creepily and Trish leaning against the van or Nico looking confused as fuck before I grow tired of it.

hearmebaby

Dec 9, 2018
After more then 40 hours with the game and finishing DMD (although only through cheese with red and gold orbs and bad ranks), I want to play something else, but I always end up starting up DMCV anyway, since saying to myself that "S ranking DMD is impossible for me" is not enough to stop me from trying :(

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah but its repetitive and kind if pointless. It would be nice if there was actually some life behind these scenes. Like VA of the cast talking to each other or practicing or whatever. As things stand, there is only so many times I can look at Lady peeking inside the van creepily and Trish leaning against the van or Nico looking confused as fuck before I grow tired of it.

it's a menu background...

Boya

Jan 1, 2018
So I get how Nico made Punchline from the fires of Goliath and Helter Skelter from his vortex.

Ragtime from Greyon and Rawhide from Gilgamesh makes sense as well.

But what did she base on Artemis to make Tomboy and Buster?
I assume Helter Skelter, Tomboy and Buster are unrelated arms like Overture that Nicos been working on in the interim
and Gerbera was intended to be the arm she made from from Artemis (look at all the attack similarities and the order of the breakers in Nico's reports), but they changed that when they realised it complimented Overture well and made for a good second arm unlock.

Last edited:

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
So... Any word on the possibility of alternate costume DLC? One of my few disappointments with the game so far is the absence of alternative costumes, a series tradition.

After seeing all that concept art in the other thread, I'm going to need some customization options for my demon hunks.

speaking of spoils

what a dork
One of my favorite things in the game for sure. The little touches add so much personality. I love watching the characters just hang out.

What a negative perspective. Very few game menus in existence have anything near the personality of DMC5's multiple character vignettes, and they're still not good enough for you.

Last edited:

dimasok

Banned
Sep 9, 2018
What a negative perspective. Very few game menus in existence have anything near the personality of DMC5's multiple character vignettes, and they're still not good enough for you.
I appreciate the effort but if they half-ass it, might as well just kept it as sterile as the other DMC games. To me it added nothing to the game except highlight how underutilized Trish and Lady were

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Who did everyone enjoy playing as the most?, Me it's got to be Nero.
Nero feels the best to me. Straightforward and powerful, with lots of depth thanks to his DBs and a spoilery gameplay mechanic.

Everything about Dante's combat flows together so well though. The devs made his DMC4-style insanity manageable, with more lenient timing and tons of added airtime for individual moves, while also giving him a ton of added depth and an awesome weapon set. I only wish he had more Devil Arms from DMC3.

V is fun in his own way, but so drastically different from normal DMC mechanics that it's hard to think of him in the same category as the other characters.

I appreciate the effort but if they half-ass it, might as well just kept it as sterile as the other DMC games. To me it added nothing to the game except highlight how underutilized Trish and Lady were
The presence of those scenes in the first place is a huge bonus. How in the world can you say they "half-assed" those menu backgrounds when you get multiple characters from multiple perspectives doing different things? What nasty cynicism. I really can't.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
I know it's a little silly, but I'd LOVE to see a playable Nico in 5:SE.

Is asking for the 4:SE cast + V + Nico too much? Well too bad I'm doing it any way.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Mission 18 boss
can you knock Nightmare out of its recovery animation when it's healing from the mysterious pool of energy?

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
looks like you can knock him out of the animation, though I had to sin to do so.

I'm tossed up on whether I like that chapter 18 boss. On one hand it's a pretty fun fight, but on the other hand fighting multiple anything in this engine that doesn't take too much hitstun is a pain in the ass since the lock-on is finicky and you really can't dodge out of attacks in this game the way bayo can so you can get stuck in a hitstun situation fairly easily

Oct 25, 2017
looks like you can knock him out of the animation, though I had to sin to do so.

I'm tossed up on whether I like that chapter 18 boss. On one hand it's a pretty fun fight, but on the other hand fighting multiple anything in this engine that doesn't take too much hitstun is a pain in the ass since the lock-on is finicky and you really can't dodge out of attacks in this game the way bayo can so you can get stuck in a hitstun situation fairly easily
Actually, you can. Trickster has a move that lets you tech out of being knocked around in combos. I always switch to it after getting hit and it works wonders. In regards to not getting hit in the first place; I honestly just stay in Trickster for most of the Mission 18 bosses. I had a much harder time on SoS than I did on DMD because I had learned so much by that point. Was surprised about how easily they all went down after struggling for several hours on the previous mode.

As for the Mission 17 boss, that might be the one I struggled with the most. Not in terms of defeating it, but using Royal Guard kinda just sucked for me. The first phase is all fine and dandy, but the second phase with all the rapid fire hits with random timing everywhere makes it almost entirely useless. Phase 3 is a mix of both and with more practice I'm sure I could make RG useful there but in the end I just got a relatively unsatisfying victory and moved on.

Either way, I beat DMD and still feel far from done with this game. I do kinda wish the end game was significantly harder, but I guess that's what Hell and Hell is for? DMC3 DMD by contrast is one of those things I just don't see many people ever beating, heh.

ExInferus

Nov 14, 2017
what's the point of using snatch with nero and the Ex-like buff during attacks instead of the wire snatch and ex-gauge attack buff? Is there any difference?

Oct 26, 2017
That's why you play on the console for the authentic experience of reading synopsis =p
Loads really fast on ps4 atleast. Just clunky to navigate around.

Hoping to have the plat done before sekiro releases...just gotta stop messing around and having fun with the game.

After more then 40 hours with the game and finishing DMD (although only through cheese with red and gold orbs and bad ranks), I want to play something else, but I always end up starting up DMCV anyway, since saying to myself that "S ranking DMD is impossible for me" is not enough to stop me from trying :(
I'm pretty sure you just have to to beat each mission without dying on DMD.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Also there's nothing worse than hitting the dpad to go to royal guard and hearing Dante yell "gunslinger!"

Input error or 360 pad sucks (playing on pc), up to you

It's as bad as an accidental hard drop in Tetris 99

Claww

Nov 7, 2017
Any way to remove HUD on PC?

Haven't gotten to play much for the past few days, can't wait to get to DMD.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Weirdly, if you use Dante (and probably Nero + other characters) in Diverging Point: V, they'll actually use some of V's animations when entering the boss rush room before snapping back to their regular ones. I'll have to try it with others to see how it looks.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
Actually, you can. Trickster has a move that lets you tech out of being knocked around in combos. I always switch to it after getting hit and it works wonders. In regards to not getting hit in the first place; I honestly just stay in Trickster for most of the Mission 18 bosses. I had a much harder time on SoS than I did on DMD because I had learned so much by that point. Was surprised about how easily they all went down after struggling for several hours on the previous mode.

it's kind of funny
yelling THIS IS BULLSHIT when they use a move you abused through all of V's levels. The umbran crow spear (griffin charge) is so bullshit lol and round robin's range is always a bit larger than I think. And I hate whenever I get spiked by nightmare's AOE spikes if I'm distracted

Jakisthe

Oct 25, 2017
So after watching some streams, some stuff I don't see which I'll miss from 3 (based on my best guesses for inclusion in 5 from streams I've seen):
-Wild Stomp
-Free Ride
-Wall Run (and clear, 90 degree walls to use it on)
-Doppleganger (both for corny combo potential and jank MP)
-Multiple dashes (I think? Also unsure if near miss dashes build style)
-Ultimate (I think, although given how many fewer ranged enemies there are it's fine)
-Button mash buffer attacks
-Nevan, which controlled very differently from any of the other devil arms and had some fun DT stuff
-Artemis; same thing
-Kalina Ann wire snatch, which I know overlaps with Nero a bit but not exactly
-DT explosion (I think?)
-Enemy DT (I think?)
-Also it seems much, *much* easier to S tank a mission now?

What else does everyone miss, good as it is?

Last edited:

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
I can't seem to pull off the "two sam time" ??? (not sure what the English name is ... or what the Japanese is supposed to be), despite following the instructions of pressing circle immediately after square, or vice versa. In fact, it actually doesn't seem to let me press square immediately after my last shot in circle.

I wonder what I'm doing wrong?

the basic idea is that you want to input the other button while the muzzle flash is out/while the gun is still shoot, and then start hitting square a lot - twosome time is a stance that he goes into so you have to keep hitting either the gun or style button to keep it going. if you played previous dmcs, it used to be his neutral input gunslinger move where you can aim it around