• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want S ranks though, you might not wanna use this stuff. Cause good play == bad score in this game.

Yeah the current system doesn't really support many styles of play, especially efficient play. Killing something quickly is a bad idea usually.

Wish it was more like the MGSV ranking system where you can play almost any way you like and still get an S rank.

Whether you go stealth, action, fast, slow (by handling all optional tasks etc.), no trace, it's all good. It doesn't force to approach the game in any specific way.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
Does the trailer footage of V fighting Goliath in the plaza not actually exist in game? I guess they just faked the trailer to make it that area?

I get V fights Goliath in mission 14 but the trailer footage was explicitly in the mission 2 plaza

Bloody Palace
Mission 14, you can do the finishing move on Goliath.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
So, Cavaliere as Nero is pretty fun.

46703623094_b288289d2f_o.gif

His buster move, which I assume it's placeholder till BP.

33550844418_14b8f3747e_o.gif

Oct 25, 2017
Are you fucking kidding me? You need 6,000 for an S rank on DMD? Fuck you. Fuck the Greryon Knight. He takes like 15 minutes to kill or some shit. I missed the S by 47 points. Fuck V. Fuck you.
Quick tip: you can hit enemies with your cane. It does signifact damage throughout an entire fight. Enemy step the shit out of bosses and spam that button while doing everything else.

Oct 27, 2017
It gets even worse on DMD. I'm really glad V only gets a handful of stages, because the combat system for him really just doesn't hold up nearly as well as Dante or even Nero.
I guess the only benefit would be that it's not very hard to get a high style rank and get orbs? I am most definitely not sinking them into upgrading any of V's skills so I can dump all of them into the Nero and Dante.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
I guess the only benefit would be that it's not very hard to get a high style rank and get orbs? I am most definitely not sinking them into upgrading any of V's skills so I can dump all of them into the Nero and Dante.

For DMD you're absolutely going to need to upgrade (at least) the Vim and Vigor paths for cat and bird. Otherwise they're gonna be dead in one hit.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Haven't played DMD yet but I didn't have much trouble with V on SOS, felt just as easy to get S ranks too.

If you aren't upgrading him then I can see why you might be having issues.

Yeah, SoS is the last time I felt like V was actually a viable character. It's still KIND of a pain compared to the other two but it's still really easy to S-Rank levels with him.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
It gets even worse on DMD. I'm really glad V only gets a handful of stages, because the combat system for him really just doesn't hold up nearly as well as Dante or even Nero.

It really depends on the enemy you're fighting with him. Hell Judeccas just plain fucking suck with him. I need to take him to the Void and find quick ways to kill it and Furies. I don't think he fights Furies in his campaign but you just know there's gonna be some kind of triple Fury room in BP.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Fury can go to hell. How do I get a good combo on this ass. Also the hell judge something, the douche that teleports and has the purple goo shield.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Fury can go to hell. How do I get a good combo on this ass. Also the hell judge something, the douche that teleports and has the purple goo shield.

There's a ton of videos but Fury is cake with Dante. Parry him with Cerberus' Ice Age attack or Balrog Blow Mode punch spam, then move in and use his forward triangle, forward style, jump , the air triangle combo thing, the air style where he slams down his fist, Real Impact. Idr the move names lol. Point is, parry and do a simple combo.

Hell Judeccas are also cake with Dante. Stun him with a Gunslinger shot with Ebony & Ivory, then move in and mash Balrog Blow Mode. Repeat until it gets dizzy and you can Real Impact. With Nero I just jump around and level 3 charge shot them and hit them till they're dead. Not efficient yet. With V? Lol.

Kazuhira

Oct 26, 2017
I'm on my second play through on SoS and honestly these V missions do not hold up. I'm sure this is a super fresh hot take.

It's a steep learning curve with him imo.
I see his skills list and i think you can do some very dope stuff if you're creative,i've managed to do some nice combos with griphon and shadow myself but i barely practice tbh,i just spam shadow and do the dive attack with birdie.
It requires some micromanagement tbh,when to buff,charge DT,how to sync both pets' attack etc.
More awareness of your surroundings than usual too,when you're finishing an enemy with the cane you already need to plan what both beasts are doing in the background etc.
I'm definitely practicing after finishing all the secret missions,collect purple and blue orbs etc.

Oct 26, 2017
It really depends on the enemy you're fighting with him. Hell Judeccas just plain fucking suck with him. I need to take him to the Void and find quick ways to kill it and Furies. I don't think he fights Furies in his campaign but you just know there's gonna be some kind of triple Fury room in BP.
Behold my genius

But seriously though 99% of playing V well is using royal fork to set up skewer, and using skewer to set up lazers

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest problem with V is that the skill required to get an S rank with him is nowhere near the skill required to have fun with him. It's no wonder people think he's so boring and mashy when that's really all you need to do in order to get his S ranks. What incentive is there for you to experiment with him when the game is giving you the best ranks?

Oct 26, 2017
I think the biggest problem with V is that the skill required to get an S rank with him is nowhere near the skill required to have fun with him. It's no wonder people think he's so boring and mashy when that's really all you need to do in order to get his S ranks. What incentive is there for you to experiment with him when the game is giving you the best ranks?
Yup, because of how fucked the ranking system is in the game in general, doing low damage and lots of it is really good for style gain.
  • Mashing shadow = 1/3 of the dps that you can get from combo B/C or skewer
  • Spamming AOE on bird is also the lowest damage possible from that pet

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, he never fights a fury. Considering how they work I don't think they'll be all that bad since their targeting will probably get all fucked up if they go for any of his summons.

Plus, as long as he has space to move he'a generally alright, which is how BP is set up. That early room with him where you get fucked by a bunch of lizards in the sewer hallway is hilarious on DMD.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
This is true. Also the default control scheme is absolute ass. Many of the skill descriptions don't properly communicate their usefulness either. Like royal fork is an essential tool for V, but many people will think it's just a flashy aoe finisher without any other utility. I didn't even buy the skill until SoS when it really should be one of your early purchases.

Oct 26, 2017
This is true. Also the default control scheme is absolute ass. Many of the skill descriptions don't properly communicate their usefulness either. Like royal fork is an essential tool for V, but many people will think it's just a flashy aoe finisher without any other utility. I didn't even buy the skill until SoS when it really should be one of your early purchases.
Hes needs damage numbers imo, like you really need to understand how pathetic your damage is if you are mashing/spamming aoe.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Behold my genius

But seriously though 99% of playing V well is using royal fork to set up skewer, and using skewer to set up lazers

I didn't even know Royal Fork stunned enemies. I'll use that more. Can it stun bosses for a second too? It was easily the strongest move against Geryon Knight but the asshole would move around too much.

Papercuts

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Hes needs damage numbers imo, like you really need to understand how pathetic your damage is if you are mashing/spamming aoe.

It can get even more obstructed by just automating goliath to wreck shit making it hard to tell if what you're doing with shadow and griffin is even effective in all that chaos.

but yea, once you skewer a boss and are like "oh" things start to click a bit more. But I also avoided Royal Fork for the longest time because it sounded straight up useless, lol.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I upgraded it to table hopper 3, it still looks like a regular dodge.

Table Hopper was cool because he barely moved his feet.

The first animation stays the same, the two follow up animations look like classic table hopper after you upgrade.

Personally I dig the new first animation. It looks like one of those kung fu side flips from martial arts movies.

Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
There's a ton of videos but Fury is cake with Dante. Parry him with Cerberus' Ice Age attack or Balrog Blow Mode punch spam, then move in and use his forward triangle, forward style, jump , the air triangle combo thing, the air style where he slams down his fist, Real Impact. Idr the move names lol. Point is, parry and do a simple combo.

Hell Judeccas are also cake with Dante. Stun him with a Gunslinger shot with Ebony & Ivory, then move in and mash Balrog Blow Mode. Repeat until it gets dizzy and you can Real Impact. With Nero I just jump around and level 3 charge shot them and hit them till they're dead. Not efficient yet. With V? Lol.

I will try this out.