• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
she9D0A.gif

Lets goooo

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Can't this stuff be remapped?

Oh my sweet, summer child. Buttons can be remapped. Move inputs can't. The issue in Nero's case is that he's getting a dive kick on the forward input which isn't in the demo, but it's better there than on a back input. Give it an hour.

/You think this was bad, the switch from Beowulf to Gilgamesh was far worse.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh my sweet, summer child. Buttons can be remapped. Move inputs can't. The issue in Nero's case is that he's getting a dive kick on the forward input which isn't in the demo, but it's better there than on a back input. Give it an hour.

/You think this was bad, the switch from Beowulf to Gilgamesh was far worse.
They kinda could allow people to remap it though. Like, just have the control screen have a master list of command inputs and let players decide what input does which move.

i-Jest

Oct 25, 2017
I knew V was a keep away character, but seeing him in action just cements the fact.

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen anyone mention this?
https://youtu.be/JJ-XqU6v6Rc?t=655

You can now use red orbs to revive infinitely? Yeaaa those mtx are scummy now
It's not like you start the game over if you choose not to revive on the spot. At worst it will be like other recent DMC games when you die. Unless you have information suggesting that isn't true?

It sounds to me like this mechanic gives you the choice: Do I want to maximize the orbs I earn in this stage and not pay to revive, or do I want to finish the stage without regard for orbs so I can just unlock the next one? Each subsequent stage will presumably be better for earning orbs than the last one, so doing so will result in a faster "grind" to recover those orbs anyway, while opening up more stages for the player to enjoy.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
It's not like you start the game over if you choose not to revive on the spot. At worst it will be like other recent DMC games when you die. Unless you have information suggesting that isn't true?
?

Scummy for what?
If you die you'll start from the checkpoint if you don't use the "revive" option.
You guys really gonna defend this? Obviously a cheap attempt at scraping money off those willing to just pay money to progress. You could repeat " hit boss once -> die->Pay to revive"

Don't tell that to the haters and click bait merchants namely AngryJoe n the others.
Angry joe loves dmc, so do I? Does that mean we aren't suppose to call this out?

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Angry joe is nothing more than a cheap click bait merchant who went bonkers to see dmc5 having mtx. So called fan, couldn't distinguish between Nero and dante after the e3 reveal even after the first inside Xbox episode, when everyone knew it was Nero.

The mtx in dmcv is gonna be nothing to worry about and fancy youtubers are just gonna get their fill of 'crow' after everything is said and done.

Oct 25, 2017
You guys really gonna defend this? Obviously a cheap attempt at scraping money off those willing to just pay money to progress. You could repeat " hit boss once -> die->Pay to revive"

Angry joe loves dmc, so do I? Does that mean we aren't suppose to call this out?
I notice you went immediately to "defense force!" and didn't have much to say about the reasons this is not an issue and that it's even beneficial to player choice.

There is no reason to think orbs will be hard to come by. If it turns out they are, you can come back and gloat that your deep concern and handwringing was accidentally on point.

Do you actually think that a person who is playing a video game, like, for fun or whatever, would spend their real money so they could hit the boss, die, and then do it again? You don't think the natural inclination would be to just try again from the checkpoint? DMC games are about developing skill and then applying that skill in fun ways. Who is going to buy this game and then pay money to mash their way through it one hit and one death at a time?

Is your position that if there is even one person crazy enough to be "exploited" by this mechanic, then it is "scummy"? Because I agree that mechanics designed to exploit pathological gamblers are scummy. I don't think any mechanic becomes scummy automatically if just a handful of people don't cope with it well. It's not on developers to manage the mental health problems of their audience. It's another thing, as I said, to try to go after vulnerable people specifically.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I have nothing to defend lmao
I mean if you are arguing its not scummy, you are defending it..sooo
I notice you went immediately to "defense force!" and didn't have much to say about the reasons this is not an issue and that it's even beneficial to player choice.

There is no reason to think orbs will be hard to come by. If it turns out they are, you can come back and gloat that your deep concern and handwringing was accidentally on point.
Well you edited your post.... and well you are defending it, so im not sure why saying thats a big deal.

And to the bolded.....why are you even on a discussion forum, if you're just gonna act like a child when someone trys to discuss something? You've just assumed that because i brought up something I have issue with, I now must want the game to fail and am actually just being super dramatic. Maybe stop assuming that everyone is so extreme, and that some people can actually discuss a video game in a neutral manner, without needing to tend towards an extreme.

Do you actually think that a person who is playing a video game, like, for fun or whatever, would spend their real money so they could hit the boss, die, and then do it again? You don't think the natural inclination would be to just try again from the checkpoint? DMC games are about developing skill and then applying that skill in fun ways. Who is going to buy this game and then pay money to mash their way through it one hit and one death at a time?

Is your position that if there is even one person crazy enough to be "exploited" by this mechanic, then it is "scummy"? Because I agree that mechanics designed to exploit pathological gamblers are scummy. I don't think any mechanic becomes scummy automatically if just a handful of people don't cope with it well.
Yes, and yes.

In previous threads i've defended the mtx in dmc, because they showed in 4se that they could add them without fuckin up the game, and they dont make you any better at the game. However, I did not know you could just do infinitely respawn with them. Not everyone is in peak physical/mental condition, and this type of mechanic benefits most from these people, not just impatient gamers.

I don't understand what your problem is. Imagine a similar scenario in dmc 3. I keep dying to cerberus countless times, even after using large vital stars on every attempt. Soon I would run out of red orbs and that's not because of mtx, but because I suck at the game.
^ see above

I think the issue is simply those microtransactions existing, to be honest. Remove them, and suddenly it actually becomes a cool use for red orbs after you maxed out your characters, if you don't mind being locked out of an S rank.
I mean even if the balance feels fine, knowing theirs mtx makes some people feel bad about it. Like to me AC:O exp gain was perfectly fine, but loads of people hated it...but would they if the option wasn't there?

If you are arguing it is scummy, make your own thread, bring the MTX prices and all the details about the revive option and, *probably* i can agree with you, but, now, we don't know shit and you quickly started to complain.

Personally, i don't care about MTX, if people are using (talking in general) them it's their problem, not mine.

I just didn't even know this was a thing, i assumed when people complained about red orb reviving they just meant yellow orbs. Not a fan of how its shoved in your face after death, and playing the game normally is labelled "give up". .

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

Well you edited your post.... and well you are defending it, so im not sure why saying thats a big deal.

And to the bolded.....why are you even on a discussion forum, if you're just gonna act like a child when someone trys to discuss something? You've just assumed that because i brought up something I have issue with, I now must want the game to fail and am actually just being super dramatic. Maybe stop assuming that everyone is so extreme, and that some people can actually discuss a video game in a neutral manner, without needing to tend towards an extreme.
I assumed none of that and you still haven't addressed any of the content of my post. Who are you worried about? Why do you think red orbs will be hard enough to earn through gameplay that people will pay money? Why is it realistic, in your view, that someone would spend all their orbs and then some real money too instead of going back a couple minutes to a checkpoint while they play a game they are ostensibly enjoying and not trying to skip through?

OP
OP
Rodjer

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018

If you are arguing it is scummy, make your own thread, bring the MTX prices and all the details about the revive option and, *probably* i can agree with you, but, now, we don't know shit and you quickly started to complain.

Personally, i don't care about MTX, if people are using (talking in general) them it's their problem, not mine.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the issue is simply those microtransactions existing, to be honest. Remove them, and suddenly it actually becomes a cool use for red orbs after you maxed out your characters, if you don't mind being locked out of an S rank.

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018

I don't understand what your problem is. Imagine a similar scenario in dmc 3. I keep dying to cerberus countless times, even after using large vital stars on every attempt. Soon I would run out of red orbs and that's not because of mtx, but because I suck at the game.

Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's a little scummy to put any kind of "pay money to continue right now" option in a non-free game, but the actual extent of scumminess is fully contingent on how easy that "feature" is to ignore. Right now I'm guessing it's 100% ignorable. If I'm wrong when the game comes out, I'll gladly admit it.

I agree. It actually provides more player choice in a certain sense. People would see that as a good thing if it weren't tainted by MTX.

As a related musing, I wonder if it'll be easy to cheat red orbs on PC, or does Denuvo stop modding in addition to piracy?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The question I have is it literally possible to sit the controller down on DMD mode and keep using your bank card to beat bosses. That would be sad and hilarious

I don't think it's good that they're in but also this game seems a lot easier than 3 and 4 so it doesn't feel so far that the balance had been tainted, but then I'm biased here having played 100s of hours of DMC

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen anyone mention this?
https://youtu.be/JJ-XqU6v6Rc?t=655

You can now use red orbs to revive infinitely? Yeaaa those mtx are scummy now

How is that scummy? I'm curious to know your reasoning. In the demo I could easily get 20,000 orbs per play and that is not even half the missions it seems.

If you just want to get more Red Orbs just go and play an easier level and get all the orbs. I really don't see how they will "force" you to do any MTX.

I mean before it was, "I don't have Yellow/Gold Orbs? I'm fuck, Restarting mission. Oh well, time to GET GUD!"

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that gets me is just how unnecessary the MTX are. Because of the generous Red Orb economy, and the ability to get Gold Orbs as a possible reward for co-op play, it feels so superfluous. The only thing that remains is the bad optics. And so, although some people might use it, I think it would be more beneficial for Capcom to just remove it entirely. I don't think the negative PR and word of mouth and the lost sales make it worth it for them.

Oct 26, 2017
How is that scummy? I'm curious to know your reasoning. In the demo I could easily get 20,000 orbs per play and that is not even half the missions it seems.

If you just want to get more Red Orbs just go and play an easier level and get all the orbs. I really don't see how they will "force" you to do any MTX.

I mean before it was, "I don't have Yellow/Gold Orbs? I'm fuck, Restarting mission. Oh well, time to GET GUD!"
I mean I currently have 416564 red orb on the demo, its never going to effect me, cause i'm never gonna spend money on a revive. The majority of my time will be spent in BP and DMD SSS no damage runs. Doesn't mean that i'm not aware that its gonna take someones wallet for an unnecessary ride.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I mean I currently have 416564 red orb on the demo, its never going to effect me, cause i'm never gonna spend money on a revive. The majority of my time will be spent in BP and DMD SSS no damage runs. Doesn't mean that i'm not aware that its gonna take someones wallet for an unnecessary ride.

...How? In what circumstances would someone rather spend real money than restart from the nearest checkpoint?

Oct 25, 2017
I mean even if the balance feels fine, knowing theirs mtx makes some people feel bad about it. Like to me AC:O exp gain was perfectly fine, but loads of people hated it...but would they if the option wasn't there?

Exactly, and I'm one of them. I hope it's at least hidden, and not something the game keeps prompting you to do, it just looks like a shitty mobile game.

Oct 26, 2017
...How? In what circumstances would someone rather spend real money than restart from the nearest checkpoint?
I'ma give you a real simple example. My uncle loves action games, my uncle was in accident and damaged his wrist. If he has to repeatedly press buttons fast, his wrist will swell up, its naturally pretty painful. Even on the easiest difficulty he was struggling to beat the segment in bayonetta 1 where you have to use executions a set number of times in a short time peroid, his wrist was killing, so i eventually had to just do the segment for him. But say i wasnt there to help, do you think this person would have been tempted to pay money to progress if the option was there?

I'll say it again, not everyone is in peak physical/mental health. I'm sure many of us personally would never do this, but dismissing people who do as "crazy" is not okay.

Exactly, and I'm one of them. I hope it's at least hidden, and not something the game keeps prompting you to do, it just looks like a shitty mobile game.
From Max's video..... "give up" lmao

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'ma give you a real simple example. My uncle loves action games, my uncle was in accident and damaged his wrist. If he has to repeatedly press buttons fast, his wrist will swell up, its naturally pretty painful. Even on the easiest difficulty he was struggling to beat the segment in bayonetta 1 where you have to use executions a set number of times in a short time peroid, his wrist was killing, so i eventually had to just do the segment for him. But say i wasnt there to help, do you think this person would have been tempted to pay money to progress if the option was there?

I'll say it again, not everyone is in peak physical/mental health. I'm sure many of us personally would never do this, but dismissing people who do as "crazy" is not okay.

But you're not paying money to progress, you still have to fight and if he can't beat them on the easiest difficulty eventually he would still need to wait for you to get back to do it for him.

From Max's video..... "give up" lmao

I don't think it's the zinger you think it is. You can either use gold orbs or sacrifice the amount of red orbs you have on you. At some point you would realize it's better to restart an encounter that to burn your resource doing it.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I knew Capcpom had to fuck DMC5 up somehow. And in classic SFxTk fashion, its with MICROTRANSACTIONS.

Oct 26, 2017
But you're not paying money to progress, you still have to fight and if he can't beat them on the easiest difficulty eventually he would still need to wait for you to get back to do it for him.

I don't think it's the zinger you think it is. You can either use gold orbs or sacrifice the amount of red orbs you have on you. At some point you would realize it's better to restart an encounter that to burn your resource doing it.
Erm having an infinite healthpool sure does make fights easier.

And I dont like how thats phrased at all, it implies you are failing by not using red orbs.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Erm having an infinite healthpool sure does make fights easier.

And I dont like how thats phrased at all, it implies you are failing by not using red orbs.

But you also have the gold orbs option, and those you can get for free by logging in daily.

Like, you're imagining it in the worst possible set of circumstances where a person is losing every fight and is constantly out of red orbs that the level generously gives you, does that seem like how an average game of DMC would be? And if that player is constantly losing I think most people would just straight up quit the game than plow through with their wallet.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
This red orbs to revive thing isn't a problem imo be cause:

A) You can simply choose to go back to the last checkpoint instead of reviving on the spot.

B) Not only you still have Gold Orbs but now you can even have more than 3 Gold Orbs at a time (which was the limit in the past games)

C) It's very easy to earn Gold Orbs now thanks to the co-op rating. They are also giving away Gold Orbs daily as login bonuses. This is in addition to the ability to find and buy Gold Orbs in the game itself.

D) It's super easy to farm Red Orbs so it's not like that's a hard to find currency.

E) The game doesn't actually encourage you to do revives in general. In fact they have a penalty for using revives as it would affect your end of the mission result screen score/rank and the game clearly tells you that you are getting worse score because of using a revive.

In regards to people that might have physical or mental health problems resulting in them not being able to play as good as the game asks them to, there is an auto-assist option that can be turned on and off anytime during the gameplay. So if the game gets too difficult that you literally can't progress through it because of your health then you can just use that instead of paying for revives with real money.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After playing Bayonetta this game is a bit tough to get into. Seems to be overly simplistic and I feel that I must have just not cracked how it really works. I'll have to watch some combat guides on it.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really miss Nero's old arm. It looks more cool than the robot arm.
That being said, the robot arm is more fun to use. I hope you can unlock his DMC4 look.
Lorewise, why does he have a robot arm now?

Also after all this time I still don't know how to use exceed. I also rode a rocket and I have no idea how that happened. It was cool.