• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
L3 + R3 is bad imo but yeah, they could change the taunt or something.

My ideal layout is like dante styles in 4 so the arms go on to the dpad, however the 5th style is devil trigger button instead so that you can leave L1 free.

You can even have DT as down on dpad and still have 4 arm switching with the last 3 button on dpad.

RiderKairuu

Oct 25, 2017
9LA9S1m.jpg
This is the second It's Always Sunny x DMC meme I've seen and I'm confused and fascinated.

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
So what do you guys think is the best DMC cutscene? Actually, we know what the best one is: DMC3 Mission 8's intro

So what do you guys think is the SECOND best DMC cutscene? I have a special fondness for DMC3 Vergil's campaign intro cutscene where he fights the demons before he enters the Temen-Ni-Gru

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Yeah, it's like we should not need SwordMaster to access a crummy aerial rave technique. That and the weakening of the styles in general just makes Dante feel like such an odd retrofit.

The other thought I had was simply getting rid of Sword and Gun and making Guard and Trickster way way better.

Or just improve sword to include unique stuff that makes the switch seem worthwhile. If some of Nero's attacks were like the kind of thing available to Dante it would be better

I guess I'm just not a fan of giving Dante more options in 4 but making those individual options far less interesting than their DMC3 counterparts with less effect than similar techniques given to Nero. Feels like the wrong direction to go.

The reason why they nerfed Dante in DMC4 is because he had access to all styles at once. So each style was nerfed.

Whereas in DMC3, they knew players had access to only one style at a time. So they made each style really powerful to hold it's own. Gunslinger in DMC3 fucking rocks. In DMC4 though - it's situational depending on the enemy. Fireworks and Rainstorm melt the Faust and Mephisto Cloaks, but only are serviceable and okay outside of that. Trickster no longer has its triple ground dash, and the parry window for Royal Guard is harder.

Ultimately, making Dante truly powerful in DMC4 if you were good at switching between all 5 styles, and all 6 weapons at once.

That's basically 11 character states that a player has to keep track with DMC4 Dante.

You solve this in the following ways:

1) Let the player equip however many or however little weapons at once. Be it 2 guns and 2 melee or 3 guns and 3 melee. They player should be able to choose.
2) Bake Trickster into the base control scheme. Move Devil Trigger to the touchpad or some shit. L3+R3 if need be. This way L1 can be Trickster.
3) Swordmaster should default to O.
4) Gunslinger mostly uses rapid fire and hold charge attacks. And situation attacks like wild stomp in DMC3 and crazy ride.
5) Royal Guard - not exactly sure. Maybe performing a last second perfectly time trickster evade causes Dante to do a quick parry into dash. And then the Royal Charge boosts dante's sword and gun attack damage by like 10% for the next 10 seconds.

Bottom line is that there is way to put all the styles onto one control scheme without losing too much from each style. Trickster and Swordmaster can retain all functionality, Gunslinger and Royal Guard may lose some but having it all one easily accessible control scheme makes up for that.

Kunomori

Nov 1, 2017
My ideal layout is like dante styles in 4 so the arms go on to the dpad, however the 5th style is devil trigger button instead so that you can leave L1 free.

You can even have DT as down on dpad and still have 4 arm switching with the last 3 button on dpad.

But then the same problem continues ... take the finger of the analog to use dpad, the more advanced you get in the game, more you change style and weapon. I like Nioh's idea of holding a button and pressing another to change, but I don't know if it would work and what better way to implement it.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
But then the same problem continues ... take the finger of the analog to use dpad, the more advanced you get in the game, more you change style and weapon. I like Nioh's idea of holding a button and pressing another to change, but I don't know if it would work and what better way to implement it.

Itsuno's team already did that in Dragon's Dogma so they have precedent.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Would you guys be down for legacy weapons as paid DLC...? I miss Agni & Rudra quite a bit.

dbcyber

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Really glad the story is progressing past Mundas. I was getting sick of him being the be all end all boss from the very first game. And the notion that Dante can never be challenged again because too powerful didn't sit well with me. Capcom really showed a close minded approach previously, love that they are letting the DMC lore flourish and expand this time.

Would you guys be down for legacy weapons as paid DLC...? I miss Agni & Rudra quite a bit.

If Dante(or Nero) doesn't get a Nunchaku then I want my Legacy Cerberus.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to see the Sparda Sword return but take full advantage of the fact it transforms into different weapons.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I guess we are getting some new info about DMC5 after all. (at the very least one of those screens are new)

Last edited:

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
As far as buttons are concerned, they should just give endless mapping options so people can configure it however they want. To be honest I haven't seen a button config suggestion that doesn't sound like basura and/or remove something critical to gameplay.

Ya'll should probably realize that Dante probably wasn't intended to do the crazy guard flying and shit in DMC4. That was just something that players figured out along with other broken shit like DRI.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I'm open to that if the price is right and enough care is put into the move sets. Though I honestly would prefer it to be naturally implemented if possible.
I'd prefer that too, of course, but I'm not gonna get my hopes up so I'm going straight ahead and thinking of DLC.
I just want DMC1 Dante and DMC4 Nero costumes in game.
Having all the past costumes in the RE engine would be pretty damn great.
If Dante(or Nero) doesn't get a Nunchaku then I want my Legacy Cerberus.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot about the Cerberus. That was a damn cool Devil Arm.

I really hope we get another unique weapon type, ideally a spear.

Deleted member 671

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's linked to one of the main themes of the series. Having demonic blood allows you to do all sorts of cool Martix shit, but it doesn't give you a will to live or a reason to fight. Power alone means nothing, which is why Dante triumphs over Vergil in DMC 3, why Nero truimphs over Sanctus in DMC, Trish turns on Mundus in DMC 1, etc. The concept of embracing humanity (and we are talking about humanity on a conceptual level since even full demons can embrace it) is what gives the protagonists power and allows them to triumph. As Dante puts it in DMC 4, "You assume human are weak. OK, yeah, their bodies lack the physical ability of a demon, but humans possess something that demons don't."

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
It's not that big of an issue because nero base is very strong, you're not switching styles just to dodge. And I also I agree that it was the 3 way weapon swapping that people had issues with Dante.

Kunomori

Nov 1, 2017
It's linked to one of the main themes of the series. Having demonic blood allows you to do all sorts of cool Martix shit, but it doesn't give you a will to live or a reason to fight. Power alone means nothing, which is why Dante triumphs over Vergil in DMC 3, why Nero truimphs over Sanctus in DMC, Trish turns on Mundus in DMC 1, etc. The concept of embracing humanity (and we are talking about humanity on a conceptual level since even full demons can embrace it) is what gives the protagonists power and allows them to triumph. As Dante puts it in DMC 4, "You assume human are weak. OK, yeah, their bodies lack the physical ability of a demon, but humans possess something that demons don't."

I know, but that's not the point. The impression that gives reading the pic is basically that without Kyrie, Nero would not exist in the story. He would have no motivation. lol

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Langdon will always be the best Dante:

He's so good and he enjoys it so much!
There was some talk about the new actor a few pages ago, but I'm still not sure if he'll just be the face model or if he'll do the mocap too?
I find it surprising that Langdon hasn't talked about DMCV at all (not on Twitter and FB anyway). I want confirmation that he'll still do the voice at least.

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
His woohoo at the end of the trailer sounds pretty darn close. Not confirmation of course, but it sure seems like him.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Wasn't Langdon seen doing performance capture for the game? If anything that'd make more sense considering that he's always done voice and body work for the series even during the PS2 games where such a thing was rare:

Having Langdon dub over another person's performance with character models like this runs the risk of A)restricting him & B)creating an uncanny valley effect.

Last edited:

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Having Langdon dub over another person's performance with character models like this runs the risk of A)restricting him & B)creating an uncanny valley effect.
Yeah that's what worries me a bit. Langdon is Dante to me, gestures and voice. I guess I'll just have to trust Capcom for now. And it wouldn't be a dealbreaker but still somewhat disappointing imo.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope the trilogy and DMC4SE will be in the Steam Summer sale. I want to play them all again but it's gonna be the third time I buy each of them (bar DMC2), so I'd like a small discount.

Deleted member 35011

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Me, lying to myself: "I only like DMC plot ironically."

Also me, watching DMC4's ending: "...THIS IS THE COOLEST THING"

Dante: 'Keep it.'

Nero: 'What? I thought this meant a lot to you...."

"That's the only kind of gift worth giving. I want to entrust it to you, so I am. What you do from here, is your call."

"Hey, Dante...will we meet again?"

[Cool guy wave]

Like goddamn it, these two human cartoons are talking and I get so invested in it every time haha.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Me, lying to myself: "I only like DMC plot ironically."

Also me, watching DMC4's ending: "...THIS IS THE COOLEST THING"

Dante: 'Keep it.'

Nero: 'What? I thought this meant a lot to you...."

"That's the only kind of gift worth giving. I want to entrust it to you, so I am. What you do from here, is your call."

"Hey, Dante...will we meet again?"

[Cool guy wave]

Like goddamn it, these two human cartoons are talking and I get so invested in it every time haha.
DMC's plot is secretly great.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
It's not that big of an issue because nero base is very strong, you're not switching styles just to dodge. And I also I agree that it was the 3 way weapon swapping that people had issues with Dante.

Is Capcom aware of that though? (the 3 way weapon switching issue?)

Like, outside of fans tweeting them things like that I wish Capcom had a better outlet to get fan feedback from some of the best players in the DMC community for the past 17 years. Even in our DMC discord we've come up with some simple yet important things Capcom should consider.

1) Training Mode
2) Issues with controls (DMC3 weapon swap versus DMC4 weapon cycling) Give the players the option to tailor the load outs basically
3) Automatic Mode is really stupid so stop putting it in your games or at the least restrict it to Easy mode like DMC1, DMC3, Bayonetta and Nier Automata do.
4) A better tutorial to give newcomers both basic and advanced tips. (DmC) did this well.

Really only touching the surface. But none of the suggestions are unreasonable. It's not like we're asking for things like "put in dozens of boss fights capcom!!"

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Issues with controls (DMC3 weapon swap versus DMC4 weapon cycling) Give the players the option to tailor the load outs basically
I need this badly. I don't mind losing the rest of my weapons if it meant I only had to think about two at a time on top of the style-switching. I read a post suggesting that players be able to not only select the two weapons to enter a mission with but select as much weapons as they want. I think that would be the best option, since it'll let players practice making combos with any pair they want or practice on switching between the entire arsenal.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't played DmC in a while so correct me if I'm wrong, but the DmC system gives you access to 3 weapons (3 styles) that all had decent moveset without the need to let go of LS.

I think the problem with DmC was that, it didn't have enough weapons so instead of each d-pad button being loadout swaps for both demon and angel weapons, each button is for switching a single weapon which in turn lowered the skill ceiling a lot (alongside other problems like how JC was a joke in the vanilla version, etc)

The problem for me with DmC was the cross-weapon combo system. It's an amazing idea in concept because it suggests you can end up increasing your viable ground and air combo chains significantly and that's super fun! In practice it meant I ended up sticking to Rebellion and Osiris for as much as the game would let me. The other weapons ended up being utilized solely as if they were style actions (Swap in, do a specific action, swap back) because Eryx, Arbiter and Aquila all had three or four really good tools along with a lot of mediocre ones that were simply worse than my primaries.

I'm convinced this is the reason blue/red enemies even exist in DmC.

In the end, DmC's way of doing things didn't do much to keep me away from the D-Pad once I unlocked everything, it just eased me into the concept better than DMC4 did while making some things I never had to think about in years (Primarily gun switching) worse.

5) Royal Guard - not exactly sure. Maybe performing a last second perfectly time trickster evade causes Dante to do a quick parry into dash. And then the Royal Charge boosts dante's sword and gun attack damage by like 10% for the next 10 seconds.

Not really related to that point, but I've always fancied the idea of Dante getting a few more Trickster-flavored moves baseline by giving Dante both a Viewtiful Joe Ukemi and Nero's Table Hopper as passives.

The former would be executed through hitting jump just as you hit the ground from a hard blow for a bit of style and a faster recovery. The latter would work as it does for Nero, except the second and third Table Hopper dashes could be used as a contextual option to do some Trickster maneuvers since Triple Dash no longer exists anyway. The first dash is just a normal table hopper that could be cancelled at any point like Nero's, but the second and third dashes can transition into Wall Run by using a Table Hop against a wall, a Mustang by burning a Table Hop into an enemy, or a Stinger Leap by canceling it with the jump at any point.

Y'know, just some extra mobility that would help blend some of the Trickster kit into Dante's moveset while using other styles. Kind of like universal charge shots.

Last edited: