• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Itsunodagawd.jpg

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
One thing I wouldn't mind them bringing back from DMC2 is a random, unexplained appearance from Phantom. Just like "Hey, remember me? Your ol' pal? What'cha been up to, Dante? How's things? Oh, me? Oh, you know, just keeping busy, making ends meet. It's tough when you've got forty thousand tiny children to take care of. Hey, don't tell the wife, but I really appreciate that you shot a couple hundred of those little shits; real weight off my shoulders, buddy."

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Almost like the game is providing incentive to the player to learn enemy and boss attack patterns and get better right?
Well that's kind of a natural result of getting a Game Over and being thrown back to a checkpoint too, isn't it? Dying makes you want to get better. Unless your only objective is to mindlessly hack through everything with the least amount of effort. So I'm really not seeing why it's a great idea to give players an extra penalty for going through a normal learning process.

Devil May Cry is in actuality not that fast paced of an action game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMTElR5jqGk&t=17s

It's bit heavier and more deliberate than most other cruh-zay action games that were inspired from DMC3.

Also, there could be modes available on easy mode that let you disable certain things like Devil Breaker damage and such. I think you'll be fine. DMC gives you so many options, you can remove half of them and still have plenty of options to work with.
I'm not looking for an easy ride, just a fun one. I don't mind hard games. Like, Bloodborne doesn't stress me out except when I have to run forever to get back to the boss I'm trying to kill. (Hi, Shadows of Yharnam.)

The problem with easy modes is they tend to turn enemies into toothless balls of jelly. I want to be challenged and I want to have all my fun tools available to do it. That's all.

Last edited:

Juraash

Oct 25, 2017
He seems fine and I don't dislike the look we got for Dante in the trailer. The more important things in my book are how he sounds and how he acts. Thankfully it looks like we're keeping Reuben around for what matters most.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see a DMC thread anywhere so I thought it would be best to ask here.

I would like to play the series before 5 (only played 3) and I'm about to pull the trigger on getting the PS4 hd collection + 4 Special Edition. Is the HD Collection a good port or should I just pull out my PS2?

robotzombie

Oct 25, 2017
is DMC4SE good on PS4? Its on sale right now, and I feel like buying it for the second time despite having it on steam already for reasons unknown...

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't see a DMC thread anywhere so I thought it would be best to ask here.

I would like to play the series before 5 (only played 3) and I'm about to pull the trigger on getting the PS4 hd collection + 4 Special Edition. Is the HD Collection a good port or should I just pull out my PS2?
DMC1 has some graphics and audio issues, I think some have been patched but I'm not sure. The other two are fine. But the issues in DMC1 aren't really noticeable if you haven't played the game in a long time (and even less if you've never played it obviously), and fwiw I played the HD Collection on PS3 and it was good. The PS4 version is the same with better resolution.

Oct 25, 2017
DMC1 has some graphics and audio issues, I think some have been patched but I'm not sure. The other two are fine. But the issues in DMC1 aren't really noticeable if you haven't played the game in a long time (and even less if you've never played it obviously), and fwiw I played the HD Collection on PS3 and it was good. The PS4 version is the same with better resolution.
Thank you! I can deal with some minor issues. Definitely going to get them now.

IBLiSTRiGGER

Jun 7, 2018
Los Angeles, CA
This reminf me a lot a PS2 game with the same concept made as well by Capcom:

150395-Chaos_Legion_(USA)_(En,Ja,Fr,Es)-1495077594.jpg

Anyone remember this game?

I remember the demo. I wanted to buy it but reviews were poor and the game was apparently short. Seemed interesting tho.

yeah, i hope v's gameplay is a chaos legion revival, because that game had a lot of potential... that fell very, very, very short. don't play it. i did, and it's an absolute slog. it is very short, but it felt like it went on forever. that tells you enough.

i always did want to see it realize its true potential, though. the concept is dynamite. maybe capcom wants to give it another go?

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Man this cover is pretty sick and makes it sound like a crossover of Soilwork and Turmion Kätilöt styled melodic death metal

Team_Feisar

Jan 16, 2018
This reminf me a lot a PS2 game with the same concept made as well by Capcom:

150395-Chaos_Legion_(USA)_(En,Ja,Fr,Es)-1495077594.jpg

Anyone remember this game?

I remember that it came out when i was like 13 and it was the first time that it really hit me how many characters in Japanese Media have completely random German Names (but in a charming way). Dudes Name is "Sieg Wahrheit". Literally "Victory Truth"

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Well that's kind of a natural result of getting a Game Over and being thrown back to a checkpoint too, isn't it? Dying makes you want to get better. Unless your only objective is to mindlessly hack through everything with the least amount of effort. So I'm really not seeing why it's a great idea to give players an extra penalty for going through a normal learning process.

I'm not looking for an easy ride, just a fun one. I don't mind hard games. Like, Bloodborne doesn't stress me out except when I have to run forever to get back to the boss I'm trying to kill. (Hi, Shadows of Yharnam.)

The problem with easy modes is they tend to turn enemies into toothless balls of jelly. I want to be challenged and I want to have all my fun tools available to do it. That's all.

Itsuno has to take risks and progress the franchise forward. Inclusion of limited resources and powerful attacks (that can be taken away from players due to poor play) reminds me a lot of what Itsuno was doing back in his Powerstone days.

One way to make players feel powerful is to give Nero some powerful devil breaker attacks. But how do you balance this? By making it a limited resource that you may lost due to poor play.

The fun comes from dodging the attack, thus not breaking your devil breaker and then utilizing immediately afterward for offense.

The gameplay loop seems pretty well thought out to me. Gives players a powerful resource (check) that's balanced because it's limited usage (check), and players may lose this resource from poor play (check) thus encouraging the player to not only survive from a game over avoidance, but to excel at the game above their expectations (check).

Also, the notion of not dying simply makes players do whatever they can to survive (aka, spam vital stars and healing items), but punishing players for poor play actively makes them play -BETTER-

I'm all for it, and think it's pretty brilliant. Itsuno is a genius when it comes to game design and mechanics. Have faith.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The famitsu article has been translated. Not much new information in there but there is a lot of "hype" up of DMC5 in it LOL! They also said we can expect to see returning catch phrases like "jackpot" and "devils never cry"!

Almagest

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
So, it's been ages since last time but now I'm replaying DMC4 SE to qualm the hype and I just realized that I don't remember most of it.

I'm fairly early in still but the repeated parallels between Sparda and Nero are pretty curious, from the shadow in the first cutscene obviously mimicking the Sparda's sword shape to the amulet gift to the human lover to Berial mentioning Nero is "just like he was" (I'm guessing Sparda unless he met Vergil in hell?).

I'm wondering if these were early hints of Nero having Sparda's blood or if there's something else behind it we're yet to discover.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Chaos Legion was a cool set of ideas that never quite meshed into a good game. Its not bad by any means but I felt it was lacking in a lot of areas. I actually wish Capcom would take another crack at that style of game but with all the modern bells and whistles and advances in gameplay.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD

Perhaps Vergil himself was causing chaos in there?

Could be, but I think Vergil/Angelo is more of a wildcard. I'm more drawn to the idea that it's our new Big Bad Demon Emperor dude at the center of all the going-ons.

Someone who has been able to apparently unite the legions of the underworld in an all out offensive into the Human World, in a way that hasn't been done since Mundus' first attack some 2000+ years ago? And the new guy is even more powerful than Mundus was, plus has a demon tree that feeds off human blood as a resource? That'd be saying a lot, considering we had no idea such an individual could exist, with all the relative demon boss scrubs Nero was able to defeat soundly in DMC4 (and Dante just clowned them even worse).

It's almost like Ghouls 'n Ghosts with how the games tended to have an even more powerful Demon Lord than the previous game, at long last!

Deleted member 11093

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The famitsu article has been translated. Not much new information in there but there is a lot of "hype" up of DMC5 in it LOL! They also said we can expect to see returning catch phrases like "jackpot" and "devils never cry"!

Ooof, if "jackpot" is coming back then I wonder if they're planning to replicate DMC3's ending? If the final boss is indeed responsible for Eva's death then I could see both Dante and Vergil delivering the final blow with Ebony and Ivory.

So, it's been ages since last time but now I'm replaying DMC4 SE to qualm the hype and I just realized that I don't remember most of it.

I'm fairly early in still but the repeated parallels between Sparda and Nero are pretty curious, from the shadow in the first cutscene obviously mimicking the Sparda's sword shape to the amulet gift to the human lover to Berial mentioning Nero is "just like he was" (I'm guessing Sparda unless he met Vergil in hell?).

I'm wondering if these were early hints of Nero having Sparda's blood or if there's something else behind it we're yet to discover.
You're correct, these are hints about Nero being Sparda's descendant, the biggest hint is how Dante goes on about how he wants Yamato back from Nero because it's family, you could tell that Dante had some doubts about Nero's true origins in the middle of the story, but by the end of the game he gives it to Nero because he knows for a fact that Nero has Sparda's (and more importantly, Vergil's) blood and thus is worthy of keeping Yamato, even more so than Dante himself.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ooof, if "jackpot" is coming back then I wonder if they're planning to replicate DMC3's ending? If the final boss is indeed responsible for Eva's death then I could see both Dante and Vergil delivering the final blow with Ebony and Ivory.

While Nero shoots his arm rocket over the top of their shoulders at the same time.