• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
This would have been ideal but I'll take what I can get.

I understand now, not sure why it doesn't just have its own button like every other action game I've played but I'm glad it does at least have it. Will give the demo another go and see how I like it now that I know this.
The special button, when you use Dante's trickster style, behaves like its own independent dodge. If you use that contextually, it allows for teleporting. As Nero, when you equip the appropriate arm, that same button behaves like its own dodge. And as was mentioned, the jump itself has frames of invulnerability, working like a dodge.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I understand now, not sure why it doesn't just have its own button like every other action game I've played but I'm glad it does at least have it. Will give the demo another go and see how I like it now that I know this.

DMC, for better or worse, has stuck to the same basic button layout that the original game had way back in 2001. Personally, I was hoping they'd overhaul the control scheme for 5, but... well, they didn't :P

Honestly, though, you can get used to it pretty quickly, and the new moves and tweaks they've added for 5 make you much more mobile than in previous games even without a universal one-button dodge. Once I got up to speed with the first demo I never felt like I needed a better dodge move.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I understand now, not sure why it doesn't just have its own button like every other action game I've played but I'm glad it does at least have it. Will give the demo another go and see how I like it now that I know this

Basically boils down to it's always been that way and also that the combat systems would suffer by giving over an entire button that could be used to switch out weapons or offer more of these directional dependent actions.

The thing is so much of DMC is done through lockon, direction on the stick and the face button. It's the gateway to everything in these games. So from that design decision it makes some sense that they don't just have a dodge button. When you get used to doing stingers and launchers then dodging is only slightly more complex than that.

Both Nero and Dante have arms/styles that make dodging easier, but you have to switch out different moveset to do it

IZiElFi.gif
Holy hell, someone call an ambulance. Vergil's having a seizure!

No Dante? I'll skip this one then hope they do another with him playable
Yeah, otherwise I'd be pissed over that no PC thing. Doubt there will be one.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Another question, is this game designed to be pretty easy to pick up story wise for newcomers or is playing the rest pretty essential? I've watched the anime when I was a teenager and actually rather liked it, and the only other game I'd really be interested in playing is 4 which I heard is set way before 5.

Tsunamo

Oct 28, 2017
Suprised it's not up on the Australian store given how linked we are to NZ with regional stuff.

Guess i'll have to wait till tomorrow then :(

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Another question, is this game designed to be pretty easy to pick up story wise for newcomers or is playing the rest pretty essential? I've watched the anime when I was a teenager and actually rather liked it, and the only other game I'd really be interested in playing is 4 which I heard is set way before 5.

Capcom's apparently made a catch-up video for newcomers to the series, which is either included in the game itself or is just going to be released online (I don't think we know yet).

DMC is really not a lore-heavy series; you'd get the broad strokes in like five minutes. If you can keep straight which white-haired guy with a sword is which, you're most of the way there :P

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
I thought this was releasing 2/7 in Murca. I hope not, would loooove to try this out tonight!

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Suprised it's not up on the Australian store given how linked we are to NZ with regional stuff.

Guess i'll have to wait till tomorrow then :(
You can just go to the NZ website and download it there. It's downloading right now for me in Australia.
Capcom's apparently made a catch-up video for newcomers to the series, which is either included in the game itself or is just going to be released online (I don't think we know yet).

DMC is really not a lore-heavy series; you'd get the broad strokes in like five minutes. If you can keep straight which white-haired guy with a sword is which, you're most of the way there :P
Good to know! Haha

Pfroebbel

Oct 28, 2017
Is it still without Checkpoint? I played the Xbox Demo and when the Boss killed me i had to start from the beginning

Nerun

Oct 30, 2017
Thanks for the link, downloading now, happy that I don't need to create different local accounts on Xbox ;)

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
LODWbfW.gif

Punchline is so awesome!
Only played for about 10 minutes or so, had to leave it for now but can't wait to dive back in, try it out more, it's so cool riding it, plus animations are amazing as expected. :D

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Punch Line is soooooo damn fun!!

I have to stop playing it, I need to Adult now lol

Well at least I managed to play and try new stuff!

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Early impressions: this feels really different from DMC4.

Early annoyance: in classic DMC fashion, camera control feels like shit. Vertical movement is like completely disconnected from the horizontal one. Itsuno why do you do some of this weird shit.

ara

Oct 26, 2017
Nice surprise, didn't realize we were even getting a demo. Does the demo have difficulty settings? I'm definitely interested in really experiencing what DMC is all about, and I assume that means that I should play on a harder difficulty that really forces me to learn the combat system?

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Early impressions: this feels really different from DMC4.

Early annoyance: in classic DMC fashion, camera control feels like shit. Vertical movement is like completely disconnected from the horizontal one. Itsuno why do you do some of this weird shit.
Yeah, I'm having a really great time here with the demo but the camera still is bad. I've gotten used to it, but that's sort of a bummer

Tho tbf it's mostly that one hotel room that causes the big issues. Most of the other time I still feel able to track whstst happening.

Anyway this demo has soothed lots of doubts I had about about 5. It's more floaty and heavy but when you adjust to its more momentum driven style it does start to click. However I'm a bit disappointed by Pro framerate. Interested to see what X players have to say cause I might double dip on this.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm having a really great time here with the demo but the camera still is bad. I've gotten used to it, but that's sort of a bummer

Tho tbf it's mostly that one hotel room that causes the big issues. Most of the other time I still feel able to track whstst happening.

Anyway this demo has soothed lots of doubts I had about about 5. It's more floaty and heavy but when you adjust to its more momentum driven style it does start to click. However I'm a bit disappointed by Pro framerate. Interested to see what X players have to say cause I might double dip on this.
It's just a nitpick, I just find it unfortunate this part of the controls haven't been modernized further. DmC featured perfectly fine camera controls. It's better than DMC4 here, but still feels off.

I think the gameplay changes is something I'm going have to get used to with more time.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

They do have a dedicated dodge button. It's the jump button. You have invincible frame on the start up of the jump.

Don't know why people don't just tell you that.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Seems to me like dodge roll has more generous i-frame, it seems like you could spam it against Goliath. Also seems quicker than dmc4 dodging?

nexus

Oct 25, 2017
I remember people say the first demo was a pretty old build. Does this one feel any better?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This would have been ideal but I'll take what I can get.

I highly recommend that you read through this thread OP to get an idea of what you can do in the demo :

https://www.resetera.com/threads/de...ad-update-demo-period-has-now-finished.85650/

This new demo has more stuff in it though which needs to be added in but it should cover the fundamentals that you need.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Seems to me like dodge roll has more generous i-frame, it seems like you could spam it against Goliath. Also seems quicker than dmc4 dodging?

Seems like it, I noticed that during a stream of the last demo when the guy (I think it was Ben Moore) had problems dodging attack by jumping vs rolling.

I'm okay with this balance- Jumping is easier to do but less I-frames vs Rolling that is harder to do but more I-frames.

Falus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Finished it. How is this longer than the previous demo ? Finished the same way

Édit : ok you can start it again and upgrade