• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Working on a DMC5 Tutorial Playlist here.
Latest video covers how to dodge effectively

Solid video. Short, to the point and concise. Shame there isn't just a dodge button (though the roll is essentially the same thing), but it's good there are these alternatives.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You could always jump cancel Shuffle but you couldn't dodge out of it. A welcome change to say the least.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I played the demo again using some tips from this thread and fared way better. I'm not really a fan of this type of game, only finished 1 (at least I think I did, back in the day) and played the sequels for a bit. I tried to play Bayonetta last year and could only play 4 chapters before giving up. I was having no fun. DMCV looks really attractive to me and I'm willing to put a bigger effort to learn all the systems. Still deciding if I'm grabbing it day 1.
Off topic (regarding the Bayonetta series):
If you ever get a chance to give Bayonetta 2 a try, you'll probably find it a smoother ride. It lacks the difficulty spikes of the first game and offers a host of improvements to the basic formula.

Both Bayonettas are more accessible than the DMC games, with a lighter and more responsive feel to the controls, and rewarding dodge mechanics that make avoiding and punishing enemy attacks as straightforward as possible. It's worth noting that Bayonetta 2 smooths pretty much all the rough edges of the original. Very few surprise attacks, instant deaths, and sudden QTEs. Lots of flashy and fun weapons that can effectively deal with crowds of enemies. A more lenient challenge overall.

The combat system was slightly watered down, which disappointed advanced players, but the average player would be too impressed by the many sensible additions and convenient gameplay refinements to notice. Plus, the ability to summon a demon to massively enhance all of your attacks with the new Umbran Climax system should help curb frustration. It's a dramatic and highly damaging reward for playing well just long enough to fill up your magic meter.

As for DMC5, between the three playable characters announced so far, it's more likely than not that you'll find something that works for you. It looks like the devs went the extra mile this time to make the game player friendly without compromising DMC's signature deep combat.

You can cancel shuffle aswell now
Whoa, useful. Nice instant backdash, if you can hit the input fast enough.

Oct 26, 2017
You could always jump cancel Shuffle but you couldn't dodge out of it. A welcome change to say the least.
Kinda true...I play SE on ps4 with turbo mode on, without an EX bar you cant cancel out. Not sure if its like this on X1, but similar stuff creeps up if you have vsync enabled.

-------------
Punchline orbiting
  • Achieved by using air punchline , falling without input to left stick , recalling fist as it turns behind an enemy, Nero must be still , if done right should result in the fist orbiting Nero.
  • Can be consistently replicated , the number of orbits the fist does however cannot be consistent
-------------
  • The bolded is not true at all, as shown by the gif on the last page xD.
  • And for me the important part is draggin it out of orbit, right as it goes through the enemy. Doesn't work if its just behind them
  • I think nero has to be still though, atleast i cant get it work whilst moving. (Have done it off exceed recovery tho)
  • And I dont understand all the factors, but the number of orbits extends to finish off downed enemies.

Thats a good resource though, but man that subreddit is a god dam mess.

Last edited:

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Should I EX act after every attack or at certain parts in a combo? Felt really off when I tried to get it after every move but that could very well be due to lack of muscle memory.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
MixedGentleJumpingbean-small.gif

Should I EX act after every attack or at certain parts in a combo? Felt really off when I tried to get it after every move but that could very well be due to lack of muscle memory.
Every attack even attacks that are already EXed but it gets harder because the timing is slightly different if its EX vs normal. IMO it's best to learn on the special attacks like Streak, High Roller, Split and Calibur because they give you enough time to time it out.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
i do it after every attack as it speeds up your hits.

for the most part, it's good practice to be able to ex act 70% - 80% of your attacks.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

You can do it off every single one of Nero's sword moves, and it gives you a good damage boost, so, yeah, it's best to try and do it for everything. You'll get it after a bit of practice. Even if you just get into a rhythm of hitting L2 a moment or two after each sword swing you'll get it by accident a lot of the time.

I'm no DMC expert, but I find that I can reliably hit the timing on most of Nero's basic attacks. What trips me up is when the Exceeded version of an attack actually changes the animation (like a Lv 2 Shuffle, where Nero does two swings), so I usually lose it on those.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys. I think I was a bit over 50% on hitting them when I gave it a go before and it was mainly the EX attacks that I missed it on. Will work on it more so I am ready once the game hits!

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
Both my friend and I played this and neither of us liked it.

It's the same thing with Bayonetta and MGR... I kind of hate them on the first playthrough. I like unlocking stuff but hate it in action games. The game doesn't feel right until you've got every tool and it's miserable to play knowing you've got one hand tied behind your back. They're great after you've unlocked everything but this demo was just a snippet of an incomplete experience and it wasn't fun. Same with MGR, great game, resented the demo.

Hopefully the final game is great and this is just demo-itis but yeah. I agree with this:

The game felt weird to me. I loved and immediately got into the previous DMC games but this time something for me isn't clicking. I can't put my finger on it.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks guys. I think I was a bit over 50% on hitting them when I gave it a go before and it was mainly the EX attacks that I missed it on. Will work on it more so I am ready once the game hits!

Yeah, don't worry if you can't hit it every time. I try for it on every swing, but I mainly just think of it as bonus damage, not something I can rely on 100% of the time. Of course, there are players out there who can hit Max-Act timing every single attack, but for mere mortals it's just a fun extra plate to keep spinning while you're trying to style on fools :P

Deleted member 1003

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The game felt weird to me. I loved and immediately got into the previous DMC games but this time something for me isn't clicking. I can't put my finger on it.

Oct 29, 2017
MixedGentleJumpingbean-small.gif

Every attack even attacks that are already EXed but it gets harder because the timing is slightly different if its EX vs normal. IMO it's best to learn on the special attacks like Streak, High Roller, Split and Calibur because they give you enough time to time it out.

Are you in charge of the OT by any chance? That link would be perfect for it!

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017

Same. I'll be buying and playing this hard, but playing as Nero just feels a little slow and deliberate. Maybe I'm not renembering the older games accurately, and I'm sure that I've barely scratched the surface of V.

But I definitely don't feel like a.....badass while playing this.

Oct 26, 2017
This is so useful, who knows what types of enemies will have, but if theres any you actually want to rocket punch. Launcher-> Charge Shot->Split Cancel -> Rocket punch

https://twitter.com/Nero_DTD/status/1094275081361154048?s=09

• Using a charge shot and immediately following up with split will result in Nero reaching the ground and the enemy still being suspend by colour up hurt frames. Works with : Split and any air attack that hits fast enough to end before the Charge shot.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Same. I'll be buying and playing this hard, but playing as Nero just feels a little slow and deliberate. Maybe I'm not renembering the older games accurately, and I'm sure that I've barely scratched the surface of V.

But I definitely don't feel like a.....badass while playing this.
You will only feel like a bad ass when you play like a bad ass.

Also, top DmC player getting in on the demo action as well:

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
it's been a loooooooong time since i've been addicted to a demo like this

Pharaoh

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Off topic (regarding the Bayonetta series):
If you ever get a chance to give Bayonetta 2 a try, you'll probably find it a smoother ride. It lacks the difficulty spikes of the first game and offers a host of improvements to the basic formula.

Both Bayonettas are more accessible than the DMC games, with a lighter and more responsive feel to the controls, and rewarding dodge mechanics that make avoiding and punishing enemy attacks as straightforward as possible. It's worth noting that Bayonetta 2 smooths pretty much all the rough edges of the original. Very few surprise attacks, instant deaths, and sudden QTEs. Lots of flashy and fun weapons that can effectively deal with crowds of enemies. A more lenient challenge overall.

The combat system was slightly watered down, which disappointed advanced players, but the average player would be too impressed by the many sensible additions and convenient gameplay refinements to notice. Plus, the ability to summon a demon to massively enhance all of your attacks with the new Umbran Climax system should help curb frustration. It's a dramatic and highly damaging reward for playing well just long enough to fill up your magic meter.

As for DMC5, between the three playable characters announced so far, it's more likely than not that you'll find something that works for you. It looks like the devs went the extra mile this time to make the game player friendly without compromising DMC's signature deep combat.

To be honest I stopped Bayonetta because I really wasn't having fun and the story didn't grab me. I was managing the combat OK on normal, the dodge at the right time to slow down time was a cool mechanic but after that big boss fight at the end of chapter 4 I just decided to stop. Nowadays if I'm not really enjoying a game I just stop, not long ago I would make myself finish it just because. Funny thing is that I own Bayonetta 2. Hype is a powerful thing.

I really liked what I've seen and played of DMCV. And after RE2 I might as well just buy it to support the amazing job Capcom is doing lately.

I think for many people, DMC5's production values and presentation look really attractive and will probably carry the game for them. My mates are picking the game up purely based on trailers alone despite never playing a DMC game so it's all good.

Not gonna lie, the fucking amazing graphics are a huge part of why I'm interested in this game. But as I said, this time I'm actually willing to learn the mechanics and (hopefully) play the game well. Already made progress in the demo and I feel the urge to play more.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I find the final minute or two of the Goliath bossfight so fun, when he's in full on rage mode swinging wildly and you just stay right up in his face dodging everything he throws at you while still piling on the damage. The new quick side hop animation you get when dodging during sword attacks flows so smoothly, and with Gerbera's Jockey and the Air Taunt you just have so many ways of staying right in the action.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I gotta say I'm disappointed by Overture. It's so...basic. Punchline is fun af and Gerbera gives you insane mobility but Overture is just an electric punch lol

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Can confirm I am addicted too lol!

I gotta say I'm disappointed by Overture. It's so...basic. Punchline is fun af and Gerbera gives you insane mobility but Overture is just an electric punch lol
While I agree that Overture is more limited, it was always designed as the beginner Breaker and it serves that purpose. It does have some nuances though, it can parry Goliath's charge (and probably other similar moves), it's attack is dependent on enemy position so it can be used as a ground bounce, a relaunch, a ground shockwave and a wall bounce all depending on enemy position. And the Breaker move is powerful too as is the default attack for raw damage.

Oct 29, 2017
This game is sexy. Pretty funny how at the first couple tries getting a SS ranking during fights felt hard but now I am starting to get SSS more frequently. Devil breakers are great.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Another tutorial for the demo and this one even has a step by step demonstration on a sample combo.

Thank fucking god this demo didn't have a time limit on it like the RE2 demo.

Oct 26, 2017
Can confirm I am addicted too lol!

While I agree that Overture is more limited, it was always designed as the beginner Breaker and it serves that purpose. It does have some nuances though, it can parry Goliath's charge (and probably other similar moves), it's attack is dependent on enemy position so it can be used as a ground bounce, a relaunch, a ground shockwave and a wall bounce all depending on enemy position. And the Breaker move is powerful too as is the default attack for raw damage.
Problem with the directional stuff is that it's pretty much lucky dip what's gonna happen there's multiple people near you.

But yea it's clearly the noob weapon. Easy parry's, free high damage. I like how all the devil breakers in the demo can parry projectiles though

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Woah this IGN journalist actually know his DMC stuff!

I hope he gets to review DMC5.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
Yah I just stock up on gerbera and punchline lol. I love using Gerbera on the boss and jump cancelling off of him.. Talking about this now makes me want to back playing right now lol.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think having a Devil Breaker which rewards deliberate positioning is really cool. The bigger problem is that demo enemies have so little health I don't want to experiment with it as much as the others right now. Punchline and Gerbera extend fights. Overture ends them.

cheesekao

Dec 1, 2017
Capcom please give us an option to have the DMC4 camera tracking back. Not really liking how loose it is in 5.

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Most played demo for me, all time. And I'm just getting started. This game is really gonne be something. Punchline is fuckin awesome. Haven't got the feel of gerbera yet so I prefer overture to it.

Capcom please give us an option to have the DMC4 camera tracking back. Not really liking how loose it is in 5.

There are camera controls in options/settings. You might wanna check em out.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think having a Devil Breaker which rewards deliberate positioning is really cool. The bigger problem is that demo enemies have so little health I don't want to experiment with it as much as the others right now. Punchline and Gerbera extend fights. Overture ends them.

LMFAOO that enemy bounced MAD high in that clip.