Devil May Cry 5 Second Demo (PS4/X1): Up on Xbox/PSN now

Oct 29, 2017
Completed the demo seven times, finally got an S rank. I think I'm ready to put this down until release. That said, I'm also still really unsold on this game.

As a fairly inexperienced player, here are the things holding me back from buying:
1. The camera and lock-on are very finicky and can behave bizarrely.
2. Lack of a dedicated dodge button. Yes, I know jump has i-frames, but it looks and feels wonky to dodge most attacks vertically.
3. How in-your-face the style meter is. As a newbie, I wish I could turn it off. I got an A on my first playthrough of the demo, but I don't want to have to worry about maintaining some dopey score over surviving and playing my own way.
4. The Devil Breaker and Exceed systems seem mostly unnecessary and obtuse. DBs being a finite resource means I'll likely horde them and never use them outside of bosses, and I had no idea Exceed existed until I saw an upgrade for it.
5. The lack of a training room in the demo. Maybe this will be in the main game, but not being able to experiment with moves outside of a mission is a huge oversight in a game this complex.

Other thoughts:
Why didn't they incorporate buttons holds into combos instead of momentary pauses? It's a much more intuitive feeling than simply not pressing anything.
Why have time factor into your final score when exploration is encouraged?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Completed the demo seven times, finally got an S rank. I think I'm ready to put this down until release. That said, I'm also still really unsold on this game.

As a fairly inexperienced player, here are the things holding me back from buying:
1. The camera and lock-on are very finicky and can behave bizarrely.
2. Lack of a dedicated dodge button. Yes, I know jump has i-frames, but it looks and feels wonky to dodge most attacks vertically.
3. How in-your-face the style meter is. As a newbie, I wish I could turn it off. I got an A on my first playthrough of the demo, but I don't want to have to worry about maintaining some dopey score over surviving and playing my own way.
4. The Devil Breaker and Exceed systems seem mostly unnecessary and obtuse. DBs being a finite resource means I'll likely horde them and never use them outside of bosses, and I had no idea Exceed existed until I saw an upgrade for it.
5. The lack of a training room in the demo. Maybe this will be in the main game, but not being able to experiment with moves outside of a mission is a huge oversight in a game this complex.

Other thoughts:
Why didn't they incorporate buttons holds into combos instead of momentary pauses? It's a much more intuitive feeling than simply not pressing anything.
Why have time factor into your final score when exploration is encouraged?
1. Definitely agree that camera and lock on are wonky. I wish they would return the lock on options from dmc4 so I dont suddenly change lock on to a character that is half a screen away.

2. You still have the regular dodge roll/step that gives you horizontal movement, the Gerbera air jockey and the air taunt.

3. You can just ignore it but a DMC game without style meter and style ranking isnt really much of a DMC game anymore IMO.

4. The Breakers have big damage and CC, can clear packs. The enemies in the demo were very easy but the game will have harder enemies that you may want to use. Exceed is an integral part of Neros system.

5. There is a full training mode in main game.

They didn't have button holds because in DMC games you usually have a move reserved for hold Triangle as well. Plus there are multiple pause combos for Nero not just the two seen in the demo.

I am not exactly sure how the scoring works yet, it may work similar to DmC where once you have gotten certain secret places you are always rewarded for it on subsequent play. Needs more testing to see what is optimum way to play.