• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Completed the demo seven times, finally got an S rank. I think I'm ready to put this down until release. That said, I'm also still really unsold on this game.

As a fairly inexperienced player, here are the things holding me back from buying:
1. The camera and lock-on are very finicky and can behave bizarrely.
2. Lack of a dedicated dodge button. Yes, I know jump has i-frames, but it looks and feels wonky to dodge most attacks vertically.
3. How in-your-face the style meter is. As a newbie, I wish I could turn it off. I got an A on my first playthrough of the demo, but I don't want to have to worry about maintaining some dopey score over surviving and playing my own way.
4. The Devil Breaker and Exceed systems seem mostly unnecessary and obtuse. DBs being a finite resource means I'll likely horde them and never use them outside of bosses, and I had no idea Exceed existed until I saw an upgrade for it.
5. The lack of a training room in the demo. Maybe this will be in the main game, but not being able to experiment with moves outside of a mission is a huge oversight in a game this complex.

Other thoughts:
Why didn't they incorporate buttons holds into combos instead of momentary pauses? It's a much more intuitive feeling than simply not pressing anything.
Why have time factor into your final score when exploration is encouraged?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Completed the demo seven times, finally got an S rank. I think I'm ready to put this down until release. That said, I'm also still really unsold on this game.

As a fairly inexperienced player, here are the things holding me back from buying:
2. Lack of a dedicated dodge button. Yes, I know jump has i-frames, but it looks and feels wonky to dodge most attacks vertically.
3. How in-your-face the style meter is. As a newbie, I wish I could turn it off. I got an A on my first playthrough of the demo, but I don't want to have to worry about maintaining some dopey score over surviving and playing my own way.
4. The Devil Breaker and Exceed systems seem mostly unnecessary and obtuse. DBs being a finite resource means I'll likely horde them and never use them outside of bosses, and I had no idea Exceed existed until I saw an upgrade for it.
5. The lack of a training room in the demo. Maybe this will be in the main game, but not being able to experiment with moves outside of a mission is a huge oversight in a game this complex.

Other thoughts:
Why didn't they incorporate buttons holds into combos instead of momentary pauses? It's a much more intuitive feeling than simply not pressing anything.
1. Definitely agree that camera and lock on are wonky. I wish they would return the lock on options from dmc4 so I dont suddenly change lock on to a character that is half a screen away.

2. You still have the regular dodge roll/step that gives you horizontal movement, the Gerbera air jockey and the air taunt.

3. You can just ignore it but a DMC game without style meter and style ranking isnt really much of a DMC game anymore IMO.

4. The Breakers have big damage and CC, can clear packs. The enemies in the demo were very easy but the game will have harder enemies that you may want to use. Exceed is an integral part of Neros system.

5. There is a full training mode in main game.

They didn't have button holds because in DMC games you usually have a move reserved for hold Triangle as well. Plus there are multiple pause combos for Nero not just the two seen in the demo.

I am not exactly sure how the scoring works yet, it may work similar to DmC where once you have gotten certain secret places you are always rewarded for it on subsequent play. Needs more testing to see what is optimum way to play.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Is there a trick to getting the hood taunt? I know it's supposed to work on B rank, but I only managed to get it once by accident and then never again.

Dec 6, 2017
US

Exceed is supercharging your sword. You can time a recharge on an attack's impact or by manual charges. Most of the time people do the former tho.

So at the moment an attack swing finishes, the point it would finish making contact with an enemy, that is the sweet spot.

You can also exceed an exceeded attack. Like if the attack is spending some exceed energy, that attack can be used to refill the guage. So you can chain it and always have Nero's sword be on fire. The timing for these attacks are different tho as they have different length animations so it's another set of attacks to learn timing on.

Also sometimes an exceeded variant of an attack hits more than once, for these you want to time it on the last strike for it to charge again

The manual exceed used to be useless in DMC4 cause it was so slow. But in 5 we can do it when running and the animation is pretty cool for it so that's a viable way to spend downtime in fights when you can't do anything else.

I think tho seeing it in action helps explain this concept better than words however

Hey thanks a lot! I had re-read your post after watching the video honestly because at first...

tenor.gif

What is this about anyway. I've noticed lockon changing when I'm targeted on something else and I don't understand why.

Targeting is my number one problem with the demo

I couldn't get a grasp on lock-on and while it could be a bitch in crowds in DMC3 for example, at least it was kind of reliably bitchy. I've had an enemy right in front of me, facing them, hit lock-on and suddenly the camera goes haywire zooming out and I'm locked onto some fucking guy half a mile away at the other end of the 'arena'.

It's not cool considering the lock-on is a move modifier. Not sure why it's seemingly such a mess and I hope this is somewhat ironed out in the final release.

Nov 15, 2017
I just want to move "Switch Targets" to R2. it won't let me assign that to what's obviously an empty key.

Also, Devil Bringers being consumable is a major turnoff.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Where are people mapping the breaker to? It's kinda hard to charge the breakers and move well at the same time for me at least.

Dec 6, 2017
US
I've been trying to stay pretty blind and never really thought about this but will all characters be using the Devil Breaker system or just Nero?

I'm going with Dante if he's available from the start and wondering if he gets style sets instead?

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to stay pretty blind and never really thought about this but will all characters be using the Devil Breaker system or just Nero?

I'm going with Dante if he's available from the start and wondering if he gets style sets instead?
Dante and V will not have breakers and yes Dante will have styles. However he won't be available from the start.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I always move the analog stick towards the enemy I want to target and lock on to and I've never had a problem with it. But it would be nice to have the options from DMC4 I guess.

Last edited:

Onesan

Feb 13, 2019
Sometimes when I and other people input calibur or shuffle, there's too much unintended pressure on the left stick that results in an L3 press that can switch between enemies when you don't really want to.

Oct 26, 2017
I think in that case you clicked your left stick doing caliber changing lockon lol, I do that often with caliber.

Here's my example of wack lock on.

lul that makes sense, since afaik you cant do a reversal from breakers c:
cause they are janky af
Never had this problem before though, guess its cause im using X1 pad.

I just got an ad for the game on youtube, ngl it was pretty hype.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Going back between DMC4 and this, I'm really liking the gravity and enemy step changes in the demo. Enemies and Nero fall a lot faster in DMC4.

Oct 27, 2017

Other thoughts:
Yeah, I was pretty unsold as well. I will buy the game tho, since it will my first game purchase this year. I even went back to DMC4...my 4th attempt trying to ignite some love for it.
1. Yes, I agree. Although Bayonetta has lock on too, it simply works better and you also have the option to perform every move (including stinger) without it which brings us to
2. Yes, yes, yes, had some heated discussions itt with me derailing the thread becuase I brought up Bayonetta, but for me it's pretty simple: Bayonetta's dodge is the key to it's combat feeling more fluid than DMC. Dodge is not only a defensive tool but also a means of quickly+precisely repositioning yourself in any direction and opening up a lot of options -it's also much easier to cancel most of Bayonetta's moves with dodge compared to what DMC provides. People in here will argue you can do the same with jump and simply moving your char in DMCV...nah, it's not the same. Dodging and going smoothly into normal attacks looks and feels better and smoother than jumping and going into aerial rave/helm breaker. Although Bayonetta's combat is faster (not counting turbo mode in DMC4SE) with regular enemies being more agile, I feel more in control in that game. I'm not saying it's objectively better or worse, but for me Bayonetta has that certain spin to the gameplay. DMCV has great new mechanics, don't get me wrong, but there's nothing from what I've played which feels as good as that simple dodge-slide in Nier Automata for example. To me Baynoetta is the equivalent of Smash Melee whilst DMC is like an Arc fighter.
3. Also agree, I would love to see an action game, even a DMC spin-off, that ditches the focus on style-meter and instead uses the ressources for something else. I never felt the square-shooting button was a satisfying tool to dispatch enemies. I would really like to see this button used for something else, or having the long-range combat heavily improved a la Gow.
4. Don't agree with that, but I'm in the camp that the arms have to be selectable. Exceed is fun, but it's no game-seller either.
5. If Blood Palace is in the game, I don't have an issue with that.

The pauses in combos are ok and work better than holds during combos. More hold/charge options would be welcome though.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's easy to cancel your moves into dodge in Bayonetta because the dodge can simply be used at any frame in the animation of an attack. That's not the case in a DMC game where actions have some form of commitment to them, you need to wait for recovery frames to be able to cancel attacks into dodges/jumps etc. You can't cancel out of a Stinger by design as it's a powerful, committal move. This is also why Bayonetta will ultimately be an easier straight forward game because you can have a static offense and just dodge whenever an attack is coming.. since there is never any real commitment in the game. This feels good and "fluid" but it does come at the expense of balancing. This is then compounded by the dodge offset mechanic which means that you are never losing momentum by dodging, which is both a good thing and a bad thing.

These forms of "hard cancels" in DMC games come at a cost. Nero's DT activation or his Break Away L1 move. These can get you out of sticky situations when you have committed to something but there is a resource attached to it.

And the [] button is still an integral part of DMC. For Nero it's not as used but even something like doing flips on the Punchline requires the Square button. For V, it controls his Griffon bird which has a lot of moves. And then for Dante it controls his various firearms like his Faust Hat. It's not too different from Bayonetta having the guns... these are meant to be sub weapons that support your combat tools. A good player still utilizes these tools. It won't be a DMC game if you can't juggle enemies mid air with guns... in fact it's like a staple action game feature now.

As far as having a style bar less action game... those already exist like Ninja Gaiden, MGR and Nioh but they have something like a combo counter. But games like that come into an issue where if you have a ton of moves options, how do you push the player to experiment and change up their play. Those games have their own ways how they do it and DMC has its own way to do it. Again, DMC without style bar is pretty much not really a DMC game at this point... just make a new action IP instead.

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2017
Who cares about bayonetta in this thread, everything has to be better than the other thing on this website.

Any new tech going around in the demo? i just started jump cancelling gerbera. has the punchline orbiting nero been figured out yet? this thread was a good source of gameplay info which is unusual for this site, until all the comparisons started next it'll turn into the dmc reddit filled with a bunch of lame ass memes

This run through of the demo is so sick

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It's easy to cancel your moves into dodge in Bayonetta because the dodge can simply be used at any frame in the animation of an attack. That's not the case in a DMC game where actions have some form of commitment to them, you need to wait for recovery frames to be able to cancel attacks into dodges/jumps etc. You can't cancel out of a Stinger by design as it's a powerful, committal move. This is also why Bayonetta will ultimately be an easier straight forward game because you can have a static offense and just dodge whenever an attack is coming.. since there is never any real commitment in the game. This feels good and "fluid" but it does come at the expense of balancing. This is then compounded by the dodge offset mechanic which means that you are never losing momentum by dodging, which is both a good thing and a bad thing.

These forms of "hard cancels" in DMC games come at a cost. Nero's DT activation or his Break Away L1 move. These can get you out of sticky situations when you have committed to something but there is a resource attached to it.

And the [] button is still an integral part of DMC. For Nero it's not as used but even something like doing flips on the Punchline requires the Square button. For V, it controls his Griffon bird which has a lot of moves. And then for Dante it controls his various firearms like his Faust Hat. It's not too different from Bayonetta having the guns... these are meant to be sub weapons that support your combat tools. A good player still utilizes these tools. It won't be a DMC game if you can't juggle enemies mid air with guns... in fact it's like a staple action game feature now.
True, but to me what matters first is how much fun I'm having with a game, especially in this genre, and what it brings fresh to the table. This is more a stomach than a mind thing for me.
I'm pretty sure that I will love DMCV, I just don't have the expectation to play a monumental milestone in the genre.
I also don't care about the almost scientific stuff die-hard fans always talk about. I think my Smash vs. Arc analogy is spot-on:
Smash is easier to pick-up but with enough depth, whilst Arc games go deeper into the "science" territory. There are different variations of depth in gaming.
I don't agree with the balancing, because Bayonetta provides enough challenge, at least for me. It's not unbalanced because of dodge - stuff like the pkp combo in B1 and umbran climax in B2 are the true balance-killers. When you get spammed with ranged attacks by 3 of those Angel-ladies...I don't know how this could even work without a very powerful dodge-mechanic. Regular enemies also have more varied attacks than DMC mobs. Those angel ladies have almost the same tools you have.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Who cares about bayonetta in this thread, everything has to be better than the other thing on this website.

Any new tech going around in the demo? i just started jump cancelling gerbera. this thread was a good source of gameplay info which is unusual for this site, until all the comparisons started next it'll turn into the dmc reddit filled with a bunch of lame ass memes
If you want tech for the demo then check this reddit thread, some good stuff in here:

https://old.reddit.com/r/DevilMayCry/comments/aosx2t/an_in_progress_list_of_tech_new_and_returning/

As far as random tech, you can charge your sword while on the Punchline by just pressing the Exceed button Thought that was cool, no one really talked about it before.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I spent like 3 - 4 hours in one sitting replaying the demo trying to get above an S rank at the end of the mission before realizing there was nothing after S.
I'm having a blast with this game, been replaying it trying to get more stylish points with each play through, the most I was able to get on Goliath was 7002.

When trying to increase your style meter and style points I've noticed that simply spending and breaking your Devil Breakers adds a ton of points. It feels like in the final game they expect you to just burn through them, which is plausible because replacing them costs virtually nothing.

Nov 7, 2017

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I spent like 3 - 4 hours in one sitting replaying the demo trying to get above an S rank at the end of the mission before realizing there was nothing after S.
I'm having a blast with this game, been replaying it trying to get more stylish points with each play through, the most I was able to get on Goliath was 7002.

When trying to increase your style meter and style points I've noticed that simply spending and breaking your Devil Breakers adds a ton of points. It feels like in the final game they expect you to just burn through them, which is plausible because replacing them costs virtually nothing.
In final game you also have 8 slots you can carry so that is a lot of leeway you have for breaking/using Breakers. And yeah you are right, you do get a lot more points for using Breakers, they are definitely pushing more use of the mechanic.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
In final game you also have 8 slots you can carry so that is a lot of leeway you have for breaking/using Breakers. And yeah you are right, you do get a lot more points for using Breakers, they are definitely pushing more use of the mechanic.
Doesn't it start at 3 and eventually gets upgraded to 8 in the full game?

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
People need to get over the irrational fear of losing Breakers.

There's only 3 ways you can lose it- 1) Blow it up yourself 2) Use a super move 3) get hit while in use

You can spam the basic function endlessly without any real set backs and you can buy them cheaply from the Van.

They exist in this middle ground where you're meant to use it frequently but not recklessly.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
There needs to be a Devil Breaker called "Soul Robber" to pay respect to the original Devil Bringer

It still blows my mind that a lot of little elements that would become mainstays in the genre started with a mediocre licensed game of all things...

People need to get over the irrational fear of losing Breakers.

There's only 3 ways you can lose it- 1) Blow it up yourself 2) Use a super move 3) get hit while in use

You can spam the basic function endlessly without any real set backs and you can buy them cheaply from the Van.

They exist in this middle ground where you're meant to use it frequently but not recklessly.

Yeah, the devil breaker system is really just there to encourage experimentation and for players to occasionally think on the fly. It is by no means going to lead to item management or a shortage of resources in any major way. I get why the really skilled players may be worried about how it'll affect combo vids (though we've heard some reassuring stuff about those concerns) but otherwise it's a non-issue.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington
I hope someone is able to put together a BGM mod for the PC version to incorporate a smooth looping version of Square Hammer by Ghost as a battle theme. I wouldn't even need the dynamic element to trigger the chorus at S rank.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
One thing I dont get with DB is the way you arrange the order they come out in.

I actually enjoy the hard commitment the game forces you to make to use find use for your DB without an easy switching out button. It reminds me of why I liked weapon breakage in BOTW and it'll probably be divisive for similar reasons as that mechanic

But if I break a breaker then surely there could be a way to choose the one that gets popped on next. They're all just dangling off of Nero's belt after all.

Oct 26, 2017
lul if you cancel your jump with rocket recall, and then gun trick, you can launch yourself into the invisible ceiling xD

That's what I meant, the maximum slot upgrade is 8.
Are breakers slowly introduced or given to you all at the start? Being stuck with overture for any amount of time is not ideal c:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
DMC without style rankings isn't DMC.

So a game featuring Dante, the same art-style, his signature-moves and weapons , cannon... wouldn't count
as a DMC game just because the style-sytem is missing? What would you call this game then? dMc?

Facts.

It's just that some folks feel being judged which I think it's nonsense/laughable.
Nah man, I don't think so. I've put a lot of effort explaining why I would love to see an alteration of the formula, especially because we don't have so many alternatives in the genre. No need for generalizations and arm-chair psychology.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
lul if you cancel your jump with rocket recall, and then gun trick, you can launch yourself into the invisible ceiling xD

Are breakers slowly introduced or given to you all at the start? Being stuck with overture for any amount of time is not ideal c:

The former. Pretty sure you get most of them from boss fights. You get Punch Line from Goliath.

Then later on:

Gerbera from Artemis and Ragtime from Geryon.

The rest are unknown, but we'll probably get new Breakers from the other bosses we've seen.