• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Very much no. You cannot cancel your attacks mid-move in Ninja Gaiden like in Bayo. When you're committed in NG, you are stuck. Bayonetta is extremely generous on dodging because it's meant for you to abuse specifically to make your combos better.

NG is not. you position yourself, and abuse your attack's i-frames, and wait for the best openings. because dodging is a tool to get out of a situation, not to keep yourself in it.

Hmmm... I thought I explained it better, but it seems I didn't or maybe you read it wrong. I said that Bayonetta reminded me to Ninja Gaiden in the aspect of Agressive AI and Dial Combos aka "Bayonetta = Ninja Gaiden (aggressive AI/dial combos)". PLUS a combination of DMC Styling combos, cancels and Over the top action aka "DMC ( Style/cancels/Over The top)"

So I know that in NG you can't cancel stuff, but the AI is really aggressive, just like in Bayonetta. So that is why I feel Bayonetta is a combination of NG and DMC in some aspects. For better or for worse.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Hmmm... I thought I explained it better, but it seems I didn't or maybe you read it wrong. I said that Bayonetta reminded me to Ninja Gaiden in the aspect of Agressive AI and Dial Combos aka "Bayonetta = Ninja Gaiden (aggressive AI/dial combos)". PLUS a combination of DMC Styling combos, cancels and Over the top action aka "DMC ( Style/cancels/Over The top)"

So I know that in NG you can't cancel stuff, but the AI is really aggressive, just like in Bayonetta. So that is why I feel Bayonetta is a combination of NG and DMC in some aspects. For better or for worse.

To this day we haven't seen an action game with enemy AI anywhere near has agressive as the earlier Ninja Gaiden games... and considering how vanilla Ninja Gaiden 2 played on harder difficulties I can safely say that's a blessing.

Oct 25, 2017
I've changed my mind about the dodge-button after digging deeper into DMC4SE in preparation for DMCV.
Here's my experience and a theory that goes with it. Maybe this will help some of you who were in the same "no dodge button is an issue" camp:
I've played DMC3 and DMC4 in my 20s that's a long ass time ago and to be brutally honest I've beaten both games only on normal difficulty.
Here's the thing - since then, with DMC being on hiatus, two franchises really taught me to approach this type of game more seriously: Bayonetta and Dark Souls.
I now understand a little better why people itt got so annoyed with the Bayonetta comparisson: Bayonetta and DMC are completely different games, with different focus regarding their combat mechanics. There is no better or worse.
But the real deal is actually the Souls Series in terms of changing the mindset of a huge playerbase. Souls teaches you how to play the hard way, since there's only one difficulty. In the DMC series you'll have to play those games on the harder difficulties to really get the best learning experience. Most casual players won't do that. So the argument Souls players always bring up against easy-mode is exactly what spoils casual players playing DMC.
Dark Souls and Bayonetta players will bring their experience from those games to DMC starting on easy or normal and of course they won't get it if they don't go the extra mile.
A good comparisson would be: when BB was announced and we got the first infos on the gameplay and some people thought it would be a lesser game, because the defensive option (shield) was missing. That's exactly the Bayonetta vs. DMC situation.

Just to make sure I understand, you mean that because the game isn't too punishing on the default difficulties, player will barely get hit and blame the game when they do, but if it was harder, they'd be forced to learn ways to avoid damage?

I'm curious about what exactly in 4SE changed your mind.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
To this day we haven't seen an action game with enemy AI anywhere near has agressive as the earlier Ninja Gaiden games... and considering how vanilla Ninja Gaiden 2 played on harder difficulties I can safely say that's a blessing.

Indeed, NG AI is Brutal for the mobility option you have in the game, but then again you can Guard. Still that is why Bayonetta reminds me to NG, in the Aggressive AI, but its not on NG level tho.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hm thinking about Cavaliere, does anyone else think that Isuno is basically revenge trolling Kamiya with that one? I mean Jeanne was obviously female Dante from a design stand-point who used her motor-cycle in combat almost the same way Dante does in DMCV. Am I overthinking it? But knowing Kamiya we can say for sure that this is not too far-fetched in hindsight, especially how much Bayonetta1 "borrowed" from DMC 4(hell, even the final boss is very similar). I assume tho, that if true, it's all done with a funny vibe to it. Has anyone read up on this?
You are over thinking it. Itsuno barely plays/watches other games in the medium.

can you tell me how you did your moves from 0:05 to 0:10? I'd love to give the demo a second go.
I don't know which part exactly you are talking about so I am just going to transcribe the whole combo for you.

Blue Rose charged up, Wire Snatch, High Roller (R1+Back+Triangle, hold to rise), Overture regular attack, enemy step cancel, Blue Rose gun shot, L1 Breakaway, Blue Rose Gunshot, Gerbera Jockey forward direction, Blue Rose Gunshot (start charging up bullets again), Wire Snatch, Gerbera Jockey forward, enemy step cancel, Blue Rose Gunshot, Calibur (air R1+Forward+Triangle), Gerbera Jockey backward direction (hold O from this point to charge up Devil Breaker), Blue Rose Gun Shot, Stamen Ray Devil Breaker finisher.

If you only played the demo once then you have not yet unlocked enemy step or some of the other moves seen in this and other videos. The Overture cancel into Blue Rose and the Gerbera into enemy step are the two difficult parts of the combo alongside charging the gun/breaker at the specified times. No Exceed was used in this combo though.

Last edited:

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Hot Take: The first 3D Ninja Gaiden (especially the Black version) is a great title due to the sum of its parts. The impressive graphics, fairly tight level design, solid combat mechanics, varied enemies, and killer soundtrack make it a classic. The actual combat, by itself, is still pretty good but it doesn't hold a candle to titles like DMC, Bayonetta, God Hand, Metal Gear Rising, or The Wonderful 101.

On the other hand, a lot of those titles I just mentioned are arguably weaker due to the sum of their parts. DMC has often suffered from tedious running and dull environments (the first game is a strong exception!) and The Wonderful 101 is full of elements that feel shoehorned in. Nearly everything non-combat related in God Hand is... not so hot (but I love the cheesy characters and presentation).

Devil May Cry 5 is looking to be one of the first action titles with SSS-Tier combat while also potentially excelling in nearly everything else and that's very exciting.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This demo is so good that going back to DMC4 feels terrible. The level of control with Nero is like night and day. Plus the environments in the Demo are well designed with plenty of open space whereas the environments in DMC4 are very crowded in tight spaces with tons of obstacles that just get in your way for seemingly no reason.

Oct 25, 2017
Hot Take: The first 3D Ninja Gaiden (especially the Black version) is a great title due to the sum of its parts. The impressive graphics, fairly tight level design, solid combat mechanics, varied enemies, and killer soundtrack make it a classic. The actual combat, by itself, is still pretty good but it doesn't hold a candle to titles like DMC, Bayonetta, God Hand, Metal Gear Rising, or The Wonderful 101.

On the other hand, a lot of those titles I just mentioned are arguably weaker due to the sum of their parts. DMC has often suffered from tedious running and dull environments (the first game is a strong exception!) and The Wonderful 101 is full of elements that feel shoehorned in. Nearly everything non-combat related in God Hand is... not so hot (but I love the cheesy characters and presentation).

Devil May Cry 5 is looking to be one of the first action titles with SSS-Tier combat while also potentially excelling in nearly everything else and that's very exciting.
No lies detected. Though I don't really expect Ninja Gaiden Black level design from DMC5. More like DmC, if anything.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ninja Gaiden Black's combat IMO is the least aged out of all the older action games. It's still cutting edge to this day and age but they really need a way to make use out of the various dial a combo moves in the game. The most demanding and aggressive enemies in an action game yet, fast and frenetic, tense and precise. Yeah sure a lot of NG boils down to "avoid enemy attacks, use the i-frames moves, absorb essences, repeat" but this core combat loop is still very hard to master. Unlike most action games, NG actually does NOT give you i-frames on your dodge/roll, i-frames come from specific moves with appropriate risk/reward.

Oct 26, 2017
Thats not really a hot take. NGB is so good because you have to be good at the game to even get beat it. You can just scrap by DMD, getting good is a choice.

Oct 27, 2017
Just to make sure I understand, you mean that because the game isn't too punishing on the default difficulties, player will barely get hit and blame the game when they do, but if it was harder, they'd be forced to learn ways to avoid damage?

I'm curious about what exactly in 4SE changed your mind.
No, that's not quite what I've meant because that applies to every action title. To give you an example: I remember playing DMC4 back then and experimenting a little with Nero's last second evasion move. It was too forced though: I was waiting for incoming attacks instead of being pro-active and I couldn't pull it off, so I didn't even bother to use that move on normal again.
Once you ramp up the difficulty the enemies attack much more frequently which will automatically trigger at least one or two random, successful attempts using lock-on dodge, so you'll better understand what this move is supposed to do. So what I was trying to say is, the more you ramp up the action through difficulty the more you'll have to master some of the mechanics just by nature. SE does a better job than vanilla 4 at teaching you how to play the game because of Bloody Palace imo - at least that did the trick for me.

Onto another topic: now that I've made my peace with dodge in DMC, how about the gun-button? I really hope they haven't shown everything yet in terms of mechanics but I'm not holding my breath. Nero's gun in DMCV is much improved over 4 (guns were lame compared to 3), but I wish they'd do more with the square button to an extend it could even replace gunslinger. Here's my idea: make it work like Vergil in 4SE where you build up a meter that can be used for special moves with the guns. The way the camera switches to a close-up view for Gerbera's charged move is something I would love to see for the guns as well: build up gun meter + charged rounds, then R1+square+forward and make Nero and Dante go into a brief over the shoulder view to fire extremely powerful shots with precision aiming (crosshair)....just for the spectacle. I just love those quick camera angle transitions, Team Ninja is so godlike at.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No, that's not quite what I've meant because that applies to every action title. To give you an example: I remember playing DMC4 back then and experimenting a little with Nero's last second evasion move. It was too forced though: I was waiting for incoming attacks instead of being pro-active and I couldn't pull it off, so I didn't even bother to use that move on normal again.
Once you ramp up the difficulty the enemies attack much more frequently which will automatically trigger at least one or two random, successful attempts using lock-on dodge, so you'll better understand what this move is supposed to do. So what I was trying to say is, the more you ramp up the action through difficulty the more you'll have to master some of the mechanics just by nature. SE does a better job than vanilla 4 at teaching you how to play the game because of Bloody Palace imo - at least that did the trick for me.

Onto another topic: now that I've made my peace with dodge in DMC, how about the gun-button? I really hope they haven't shown everything yet in terms of mechanics but I'm not holding my breath. Nero's gun in DMCV is much improved over 4 (guns were lame compared to 3), but I wish they'd do more with the square button to an extend it could even replace gunslinger. Here's my idea: make it work like Vergil in 4SE where you build up a meter that can be used for special moves with the guns. The way the camera switches to a close-up view for Gerbera's charged move is something I would love to see for the guns as well: build up gun meter + charged rounds, then R1+square+forward and make Nero and Dante go into a brief over the shoulder view to fire extremely powerful shots with precision aiming (crosshair)....just for the spectacle. I just love those quick camera angle transitions, Team Ninja is so godlike at.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Ninja Gaiden Black's combat IMO is the least aged out of all the older action games. It's still cutting edge to this day and age but they really need a way to make use out of the various dial a combo moves in the game. The most demanding and aggressive enemies in an action game yet, fast and frenetic, tense and precise. Yeah sure a lot of NG boils down to "avoid enemy attacks, use the i-frames moves, absorb essences, repeat" but this core combat loop is still very hard to master. Unlike most action games, NG actually does NOT give you i-frames on your dodge/roll, i-frames come from specific moves with appropriate risk/reward.
Plus unlike Bayonetta (which I love), and platinum games games in general (which range from fuck that to love) the dial combos don't have as many redundant hits. There are more defined differences earlier in the dials, you aren't relying on offsets to make anything cool. Also helps that Ninja Gaiden weapons are clean as fuck.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So... Weird question for DMC fans here. Bayonetta is my favorite action game ever, but I haven't touched any DMC games. What are some of the baseline biggest differences between the two games? The only one I'm really aware of is a lack of slow-mo dodge mechanic in DMC.

Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I've already seen that and it proves my point: Why incorporate this gameplay mechanic just for the devil breakers when this series has always had firearms in it?

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
So... Weird question for DMC fans here. Bayonetta is my favorite action game ever, but I haven't touched any DMC games. What are some of the baseline biggest differences between the two games? The only one I'm really aware of is a lack of slow-mo dodge mechanic in DMC.
Dodging in DMC is very different because you need to lock-on and move the character in the direction you want to dodge then press jump, jumping by itself is reliable aswell. The ranking system is also different (and better imo) since its real time. And when it comes to inputs id say DMC is more directional input focused than Bayo (like fighting games) example back+forward on analog than Y or triangle gives you the high roller move.

Deleted member 1258

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is no second melee button for one. There is also no dodge offsetting

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
Bayonetta enemies tend to be more aggressive, and the platinum model is more they attack and you respond type deal. You have a get out of jail free dodge mechanic, and you have offsets to maintain your combo strings even while evading, and you can cancel at any time out of an attack animation.

Devil May Cry is less about the dials, as really a character kit might have 3-5 max, but it's closer to how fighting game combos work. You have different command moves, forward slash, back slash, neutral slash, circle depending(which has different results depending on style, breaker), guns are on a separate weapon, and the combos are more about connecting your tools that way.

It's more free form as a result, so the real fun is trying to see what you can chain together on an enemy. Most standard mob enemies are huge punching bags, but series has aggressive enough enemies from mid game forward usually.

Jump cancels are the fun thing to learn since dmc3, and keeping yourself in the air.

Oct 26, 2017
Bayonetta is about doing a combo and dodging to avoid damage.
Devil may cry is about doing a combo to avoid damage.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta enemies tend to be more aggressive, and the platinum model is more they attack and you respond type deal. You have a get out of jail free dodge mechanic, and you have offsets to maintain your combo strings even while evading, and you can cancel at any time out of an attack animation.

Devil May Cry is less about the dials, as really a character kit might have 3-5 max, but it's closer to how fighting game combos work. You have different command moves, forward slash, back slash, neutral slash, circle depending(which has different results depending on style, breaker), guns are on a separate weapon, and the combos are more about connecting your tools that way.

It's more free form as a result, so the real fun is trying to see what you can chain together on an enemy. Most standard mob enemies are huge punching bags, but series has aggressive enough enemies from mid game forward usually.

Jump cancels are the fun thing to learn since dmc3, and keeping yourself in the air.

Bayonetta is about doing a combo and dodging to avoid damage.
Devil may cry is about doing a combo to avoid damage.

Thanks folks! I really enjoyed the first demo, but I found it odd that there was only one attack button. I definitely wasn't trying to add directional commands, so that explains my misunderstanding. Sounds like I honestly might enjoy DMC a bit more combat-wise.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks folks! I really enjoyed the first demo, but I found it odd that there was only one attack button. I definitely wasn't trying to add directional commands, so that explains my misunderstanding. Sounds like I honestly might enjoy DMC a bit more combat-wise.
Just check out the skill list in the game and buy all the moves in the demo. Try them out in various situations and try to "glue" them together with stuff like Snatch. And of course, check out the Exceed mechanic as well alongside the Devil Breakers especially the Punchline.

discotrigger

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth mentioning that Dante does have a second button for melee attacks when you're in the Sword Master style (including directional inputs).

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California

The biggest difference to me is how combos are handled.

With DMC, the combat is all about creating combos using the loads of moves you're given. Most of these moves are separate from one another and don't combo automatically. You're basically given a sandbox of attacks and it's up to you to figure out how you want to string them all together into something all your own.

Bayonetta gives you a more straightforward set of attacks. A lot of them are dial combos and aren't often designed as much to be strung together in the same free form way DMC does it.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
I really want to get better, but i still feel like im stumbling into S instead of working towards it.

I'm mashing too much and it feels like this game requires more button pressing discipline.

I dunno exactly what im doing wrong... maybe it's just that the visual cues haven't sink in just yet properly... but i feel like i shouldn't have to lose 2/3rds of my health to Goliath even though im no experienced DMC player.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I really want to get better, but i still feel like im stumbling into S instead of working towards it.

I'm mashing too much and it feels like this game requires more button pressing discipline.

I dunno exactly what im doing wrong... maybe it's just that the visual cues haven't sink in just yet properly... but i feel like i shouldn't have to lose 2/3rds of my health to Goliath even though im no experienced DMC player.
Make sure of more of the dodge systems. Dodge, air taunt, Gerbera, jump, reposition etc. Stay near Goliath's behind and in the air, you avoid many of his attacks and style on him.

And yea you can't mash, you have to be deliberate with what you are doing. As long as you mix up attacks and don't get hit, you will keep gaining style naturally. Slowly add moves to your repertoire.

There is no real short cut either, people who are good at DMC have been playing for years with loads of muscle memory. And that's what you have to build, muscle memory. It will be easier in the full which has training mode and a longer campaign to develop your skills.

PersianPrince

Feb 12, 2019
Dodging in DMC is very different because you need to lock-on and move the character in the direction you want to dodge then press jump, jumping by itself is reliable aswell. The ranking system is also different (and better imo) since its real time. And when it comes to inputs id say DMC is more directional input focused than Bayo (like fighting games) example back+forward on analog than Y or triangle gives you the high roller move.

I think that's one of the things that I loved about DmC. The fighting game style combos are good, but really tough to master. I'm one of those rare people that preferred having each weapon mapped to each individual shoulder button and being able to switch weapons on the fly for different combos.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, I've already seen that and it proves my point: Why incorporate this gameplay mechanic just for the devil breakers when this series has always had firearms in it?
Because they tried to map lock-on actions to guns in DMC2 that limited player movement like you described and it suuuuuuuuuuucked.

Like you would have Twosome Shot mapped to contextually activate with lock on+direction of second target+gun which seems fine on paper. But these are guns. Guns that can hit from infinite range and hit targets who are off-screen and not currently relevant to the player. How can the game tell the difference between the player wanting to Twosome Time an off-screen target, or simply fire and strafe towards a direction tha t happens to have a target in it? In your example how can DMC5 tell the difference between you wanting to approach a target while shooting your gun to stagger it?

Vergil works around this because none of his special gun actions change the player's movement or remove control in any way. Pandora in DMC4 gets around this because Dante is literally locked down the full amount of time you're holding the fire button so player intent is pretty clear cut. This stuff works in DmC because Gun Special is a two button combination you will rarely hit on accident. And gunslinger (And now Tomboy) get around this because those kinds of actions are mapped to an entirely independent button in a specific stance/breaker, leaving zero room for ambiguity on player intent.

/not even Bayonetta tries to shoehorn extra analog inputs onto her basic gun spam button.
Are you not able to slam motherfuckers to the ground like DMC4 Devil Bringer in this demo?
Use Overture in the air when you're slightly higher than an enemy. See the first battery here for what I mean:

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Because they tried to map lock-on actions to guns in DMC2 that limited player movement like you described and it suuuuuuuuuuucked.

Like you would have Twosome Shot mapped to contextually activate with lock on+direction of second target+gun which seems fine on paper. But these are guns. Guns that can hit from infinite range and hit targets who are off-screen and not currently relevant to the player. How can the game tell the difference between the player wanting to Twosome Time an off-screen target, or simply fire and strafe towards a direction tha t happens to have a target in it? In your example how can DMC5 tell the difference between you wanting to approach a target while shooting your gun to stagger it?

Vergil works around this because none of his special gun actions change the player's movement or remove control in any way. Pandora in DMC4 gets around this because Dante is literally locked down the full amount of time you're holding the fire button so player intent is pretty clear cut. This stuff works in DmC because Gun Special is a two button combination you will rarely hit on accident. And gunslinger (And now Tomboy) get around this because those kinds of actions are mapped to an entirely independent button in a specific stance/breaker, leaving zero room for ambiguity on player intent.

/not even Bayonetta tries to shoehorn extra analog inputs onto her basic gun spam button.

Use Overture in the air when you're slightly higher than an enemy. See the first battery here for what I mean:

Fair enough, but they could combine it with a meter just like Vergil's focus meter, just tie different conditions to it. For example if you land x amount of fully charged shots without getting hit, the next shot will go into the mode I've described.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Fair enough, but they could combine it with a meter just like Vergil's focus meter, just tie different conditions to it. For example if you land x amount of fully charged shots without getting hit, the next shot will go into the mode I've described.

But what if players don't want to do the fancy kind of shot when the meter is filled and just wanna do the normal one for some reason?

Oct 27, 2017
But what if players don't want to do the fancy kind of shot when the meter is filled and just wanna do the normal one for some reason?
The fancy shot will be triggered by holding down the button. Or Claw input? ;P square+ triangle. Or the meter could also slowly deplete if you stop using guns. Or using the system for Lady DLC. I'm no dev, I'm pretty sure someone can come up with a solution for that without breaking the game.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Finally broke 7k stylish points, didn't know there was a Speed Clear S. I was trying to avoid getting hit but the boss clipped me twice smh

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

No. You don't reward players further for using an already powerful system. Otherwise it becomes the single defining point of gameplay since players choose the path of least resistance. Why risk getting in close when I can just stand back and shoot things, and then get rewarded even more by shooting things with a 'meter system.'

Last edited:

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
Regarding adding more shoot mechanics to Nero, the dpad is currently free for bullet changes and if not that then they can implement it similar to DmC with jump+shoot button. Only issue are most people use a custom button layout.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
There is a skill list. Look at the skill list.

It is helpful.

And pay attention to tutorials. They are there for a reason.

Which gets me thinking, I wonder how many people are going to play DMC5 with the tutorial off and be like, "hoW IS U dO xcomBOZ!!!??"
From what Ive seen from first timers on youtube/twitch they read the first line of the pop-up tutorials and just skip it because they think they get the gist of what its saying and then proceed to struggle with the mechanics, more so if they put auto-assist on. These tutorials are not enough for new people to understand the basics, most disappointing part of DMC5 I have seen thus far.