• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hybris

Oct 25, 2017
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Honestly I just want DMD to be the default mode for these games right off the bat, heh.
That would be silly. When I play a new action game I want to be able to experiment with the controls and abilities before I get thrown into the deep end. If you do this, people will find something that works relatively well and safely and stick to that while putting all of their attention into survival. That's the opposite of what you want players to do. I always learn the basics faster on easier difficulties. Sure, some people will do the same thing, find something powerful and spam it, but having things on the easy side at the start opens the door for those that want to learn and experiment.

Last edited:

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
That old concept art with the Sparda family isn't canon. It's from when DMC1 was still RE4. The "Sparda" in the painting is "the count", aka. Oswell Spencer, who was Tony Redgrave's father in Kamiya's RE4.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Here's another Spencer/Sparda picture
images

Story would have been Wesker's backstory as introduced in RE5 (genetic experiment super baby) but with Dante and Vergil

Probably "Tony Redgrave" might have fought Wesker along the way. That Code Veronica model of Wesker looks a bit like Vergil in DMC1

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Afaik Vergil was always Tony/Dante's brother, with no apparent relation to Wesker. The Wesker children thing could have been a reused concept. Maybe Sugimura had something planned though, since he wrote CV and DMC1. Maybe cvxfreak can answer.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
If it is a reused concept then it's funny to me how they thought it went "too far" with RE-DMC yet later on you get stuff like Jake and RE6.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Fun fact, several DMC mainstays, including planners, worked on RE6 (as well as 7).

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Tomboy is siiick. I didn't know about the dual wield ability, thought it was just the shooting stuff.

There are 18 breakers, right? And Nero probably gets his arm back for more cool shit?

GIVE IT TO ME NOW.

Nov 7, 2017
I think theres 8 plus 4 deluxe edition breakers.

Gerbera, overture, punchline, buster, ragtime, rawhide, tomboy, and helter skelter

Then pasta, gerbera2 mega buster and sweet surrender

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

Have we seen this? jesus tomboy and ragtime look siiick.

devil breaker spoilers

Some translations of the more interesting Japanese subtitles:
- Overture's standard attack effect changes depending on whether the enemy is down or near a wall
- Tomboy powers up both your sword and your gun. However you lose the ability to lock-on, and aiming your gun will lock down your movement and confine you to a small firing angle
- Tomboy's Break-Age is mostly the same, but it gives you even more power
- Multiple enemies can get caught up in Rawhide's Break-Age
- Ragtime's regular attack is only effective within a small bubble, but the Break-Age slows time in a much wider area

HotSauceMaven

Oct 9, 2018
I know i'll be using Ragtime's normal a lot to help assist with slowing enemy decent. I can just imagine the extended potential of air combos. Good shit.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Thanks, don't know where I got that 18 number.

Anyways. No damage, no devil breaker run complete, I can finally lay this demo to rest.

Probably already known but you can stop the mob outside the hotel from spawning if you get high enough over that first column section(4:02 in the video).

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Buster on Bosses can only be used when they are stunned, Punchline can be used at any time.

Hence to make up for that limitation with MORE POWER.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Just found this on Youtube. I don't know if it's leaks or if it's just someone showing way more than Capcom wants them to from the current crop of industry preview footage, but there's quite a bit of gameplay stuff I haven't seen (bosses, enemy intros) and a certain scene featuring a certain guy that leaked a few months ago and a VERY juicy new one. Probably best to avoid this one if you want to go in fresh, but I couldn't resist:

The full Vergil/Nero scene with sound!

Vergil doesn't immediately sound like Dan Southworth, but there's a lot of voice modulation. Does anyone remember what site the person who worked out that Urizen was Dan used to change the pitch of a Youtube video? I'll look through my history and see if I can find it.

Also, "Guess I'll get to see it with my own eyes. If it really is YOU". DAAAAMN DAMN DAMN IT IS HAPPENING BOYZZZZ

Last edited:

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Just found this on Youtube. I don't know if it's leaks or if it's just someone showing way more than Capcom wants them to from the current crop of industry preview footage, but there's quite a bit of gameplay stuff I haven't seen (bosses, enemy intros) and a certain scene featuring a certain guy that leaked a few months ago and a VERY juicy new one. Probably best to avoid this one if you want to go in fresh, but I couldn't resist:

Vergil doesn't immediately sound like Dan Southworth, but there's a lot of voice modulation. Does anyone remember what site the person who worked out that Urizen was Dan used to change the pitch of a Youtube video? I'll look through my history and see if I can find it.

Also, "Guess I'll get to see it with my own eyes. If it really is YOU". DAAAAMN DAMN DAMN IT IS HAPPENING BOYZZZZ

I saw all of this already, was out when the previews in that preview thread came out.

Oh really? I've been out of the loop then. Well, spoilers anyway just in case anyone is avoiding them:
Don't we know who that hooded cutie is since the E3 trailer? :o I'm always on the verge of tears when I see the sorry state he is in. D:
I posted a (quite lengthy) summary of all the story stuff I could gather from trailers etc. in the leak thread if interested.

Instant Vintage

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Completely unrelated to the game play, this is more for the actual copy of the game.

In the US, is there any talks of getting a steelbook for this game? Usually Best Buy would've said something by now, but I haven't heard a peep and ended up preordering from GAME UK, but it won't get here until April knowing them.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

stlO1q61A1cRs8YdeB8YOifMVa61YkGvZPrh74vvj6131cE9yVBg5uLnlVoSJiR4S3j1bMoq6QM=w232-h260-n-rw

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Ya know... this game is super demotivating lately.

I do my best, start getting consistent S ranks...

and then I just do a dumb run where I just try to get through it ASAP and don't care about cool or stylish... and I get highest amount of stylish points.

Why is me actually trying to be stylish worse than me just rushing through

f71.gif

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
It's super reassuring to know that those leaks from a few months back were just from the opening missions of the game. I'm very interested to see what they're going to do with the plot, since it seems to be somewhat non-linear and over the course fo several months.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

and then I just do a dumb run where I just try to get through it ASAP and don't care about cool or stylish... and I get highest amount of stylish points.

f71.gif

Don't think, feel.

In all honesty it's probably because you were so focused on chasing that S that you make mistakes.

Likewise I had better performance when I stop trying to chase Exceed and just play the game normally.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I feel like a lot of newcomers are trying to play "keep up" with the style meter. Keeping the letter from degrading. Don't do that.

This game could do with bringing style adjudicators back. Let people wack on training dummies or something.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow
Sorry dude, I didn't come across well.

I'll still say though that the style rank is best managed by not trying to manage it at all, just playing with a diverse enough playstyle.

That's kinda the problem though, all joking aside... Me trying to be diverse is worse than me just spamming Lancher -> hit x2 -> roulette -> snatch -> hit x2 -> overture on every single enemy...

In fact:

Does this look like a diverse playstyle?

This is what so demotivating... This was a better run than any ones where I actualy tried and I just spammed same combo

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
Completely unrelated to the game play, this is more for the actual copy of the game.

In the US, is there any talks of getting a steelbook for this game? Usually Best Buy would've said something by now, but I haven't heard a peep and ended up preordering from GAME UK, but it won't get here until April knowing them.
No steelbook for the US.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its a shame the demo did not grab me i am one of those weirdos who prefers the reboot lol.

But i am glad the old series is back for the og fans. Ill replay metal gear rising i guess for my acrion fix or finally play thr bayonetta games :P

I truly dunno why i dont like it it somehow just does not click. I tried.

GameShrink

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
That's kinda the problem though, all joking aside... Me trying to be diverse is worse than me just spamming Lancher -> hit x2 -> roulette -> snatch -> hit x2 -> overture on every single enemy...

In fact:

Does this look like a diverse playstyle?

This is what so demotivating... This was a better run than any ones where I actualy tried and I just spammed same combo

This is how I felt when I got my S as well. The style gauge could go entirely and I'd probably like the game more.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You guys do realize that S ranking a mission is more than just doing "diverse" conbos right? Even if you are doing ok combos, as long as you aren't getting hit you are going to come out ahead of someone who is trying for fancy combos but is getting hit. In fact playing safer and effectively starting out is better than going for gung ho combos right off the bat.

And yes ignore the style gauge if you have to, I do. Sometimes the style gauge does not in fact correlate to the difficulty or variance of your combos and thats OK.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

In fact, does this look like a diverse playstyle?

Quit fixating so hard on that style meter. Quit it. No one who's strived to improve their play sits there and pays that thing a single lick of attention as they try to grind out a new technique. We just take a step back, we ask ourselves "you know what'd be cool?", figure out how to do it, and just let the style meter come around to it on its own as we figure out that new technique, get more consistent with it and start finding good opportunities to exploit that stuff.

You know what'd be cool? If I can Exceed consistently so I can execute more actions per minute into the game for more damage and faster style accumulation. My style meter is going to be fucking heinous for a few hours, but once I get that shit down I'm going to have a much easier time blasting past Savage and have more fun with the game.

You know what'd be cool? If I could find a way to beat an enemy to the ground without having to rely on Charge Shot into Split, because that's a lot of health I'd want to be able to spend elsewhere in an improvised combo string.

You know what'd be cool? If I can learn to jump cancel Overture Batteries as they send an enemy flying so that it's not just a combo ender anymore.

You know what'd be cool? If I could find a way to mitigate the knockback on Gerbera dashes so I can use it as a cross up tool like Dante's air dash, instead of just carrying enemies with me all over the place.

You know what'd be cool? Just fucking Punchline. That shit has a learning curve that is well worth your time.

This kind of shit never stops in this franchise. It's a good reason why I'm still playing DMC4 after 11 years. But you can't ever start if you keep worrying about your style point score.

Last edited:

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about that Vergil cutscene, it strikes me that character animation has always been an under-appreciated feature of DMC. Not just in the crazy action scenes, either, but even just plain old talking scenes. Dante, Nero, V and particularly Vergil all have their own distinct mannerisms, and watching them tells you so much about who they are as characters. When Vergil shows up to take Yamato back he's wheezing, barely holding it together, but the instant he draws the sword it's like he's back to his old self, making perfect, surgical cuts through space-time. Even with his face concealed and his voice disguised, you can tell from the animation alone that it's 100% Vergil.

It's something that DmC really didn't even attempt, for all its reputation for being cinematic; most cutscenes in that game are just two people standing and mumbling on Ninja Theory's soundstage while the cameraman slowly walks in circles around them, and Dante and Vergil just look like actors swinging foam swords rather than super highly-trained martial artists. That shit's important, y'know?