• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 29, 2017
So has anyone got emotional playing the demo

I've played it like 20 times and having DMC back after 11 years and being way better than I ever could have imagined

It's just too much. 2 more fucking weeks :))))

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I've played it like 20 times and having DMC back after 11 years and being way better than I ever could have imagined

Yeah that feeling hit me after like the 5th or 6th I beat the demo. It's that crack I been looking for.

I missed having to utilize every button on the controller.

I missed having deliberate control over all of my actions, no QTEs or scripted events.

I missed learning new things every time I beat a mission and wanting to go back to try out new things.

Hentailover

Oct 25, 2017
Moscow

Again, ultimate problem is not me sucking. If that were a problem I wouldn't be a fan of the series in the first palce, since I never been anything above mediocre at them. It's just I find it weird and disheartening that after 20+ tries, the one game deemed the best was lamest most boring run I did with most uninteresting playstyle.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Again, ultimate problem is not me sucking. If that were a problem I wouldn't be a fan of the series in the first palce, since I never been anything above mediocre at them. It's just I find it weird and disheartening that after 20+ tries, the one game deemed the best was lamest most boring run I did with most uninteresting playstyle.
Hard to comment without comparing runs side by side. And like said, not getting hit is the most effective way of getting high mission ranks in general so usually playing safe is better than trying to be creative and being risky.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
Isn't your end rank only determined by the boss in this demo? I've gotten SSA and still get an A but an AAA run gets me an S. It happens multiple times.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Isn't your end rank only determined by the boss in this demo? I've gotten SSA and still get an A but an AAA run gets me an S. It happens multiple times.
No, you can get S rank even if you A rank the boss fight. In fact, you can get an S rank even if you A rank all 3 encounters. It's more like an average of the 3 fights. You can get 3 high A ranks and get S rank but low S ranks and a low A rank to get an A rank. And it's not just raw style points on the 3 encounters that is factored into the final ranking.

The boss fight probably has more weight since it has a higher "upper" limit on what you can achieve style wise. Longer fight means more time that you can be in high S ranks.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
No, you can get S rank even if you A rank the boss fight. In fact, you can get an S rank even if you A rank all 3 encounters. It's more like an average of the 3 fights. You can get 3 high A ranks and get S rank but low S ranks and a low A rank to get an A rank. And it's not just raw style points on the 3 encounters that is factored into the final ranking.

The boss fight probably has more weight since it has a higher "upper" limit on what you can achieve style wise. Longer fight means more time that you can be in high S ranks.

Two low S ranks and one A rank adding up to an A is trolling though. Hopefully it makes more sense in the full game. It's not like we're playing the full mission in the demo.

Oct 25, 2017
That would be silly. When I play a new action game I want to be able to experiment with the controls and abilities before I get thrown into the deep end. If you do this, people will find something that works relatively well and safely and stick to that while putting all of their attention into survival. That's the opposite of what you want players to do. I always learn the basics faster on easier difficulties. Sure, some people will do the same thing, find something powerful and spam it, but having things on the easy side at the start opens the door for those that want to learn and experiment.
Oh, I know - but that's you. I enjoy having to play optimally to progress. It's up to the game design to not make lame tactics the only viable option for survival at higher difficulties and I feel like DMC has been pretty successful in that regard thus far? In DMC5 specifically; the enemies in the demo die so fast that you don't really have time to learn much and are probably better served sitting around in Void mode than the campaign if you want to improve.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Oh, I know - but that's you. I enjoy having to play optimally to progress. It's up to the game design to not make lame tactics the only viable option for survival at higher difficulties and I feel like DMC has been pretty successful in that regard thus far? In DMC5 specifically; the enemies in the demo die so fast that you don't really have time to learn much and are probably better served sitting around in Void mode than the campaign if you want to improve.

DMD would kill a brand new un-upgraded character in one hit. Not to mention the character would not have enough moves to deal with them.

That's too harsh for a new player to go into, especially when people still don't know how to use lock-on

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
I thought those were just skins. You can't get those weapons in the regular edition, can you? I've found a post saying that you just get them later.
Nope the different gerbera and cavaliere r are not the same as the ones found in the game. You also can't get the mega buster ingame or the other 2 breakers.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Deluxe for sure.

One thing I don't like is how much loading the shop menu takes. I'd much prefer another UI screen than having them load Nico and Neros model and animations. .

I also hope that "retry from checkpoint" is a thing in the full game( and doesn't hurt your stats).

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Deluxe for sure.

One thing I don't like is how much loading the shop menu takes. I'd much prefer another UI screen than having them load Nico and Neros model and animations. .

I also hope that "retry from checkpoint" is a thing in the full game( and doesn't hurt your stats).

Retry from checkpoint has been a staple of the series for a while now , as for it hurting your stats, dying during battle is punished accordingly meaning you wont be rewarded with an S rank at the end of a mission.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Retry from checkpoint has been a staple of the series for a while now , as for it hurting your stats, dying during battle is punished accordingly meaning you wont be rewarded with an S rank at the end of a mission.
It surly will.

It'll count as a death which will and should have an impact on your final mission score.
Shame. I was thinking more of no damage runs.i thought that now with the mission areas being staged off that maybe it would work like that.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am getting Deluxe edition as well. I don't normally buy these editions, hell I didn't buy it for previous DMC games that had them. DmC just had skins for weapons... DMC5 on the other hand has new tools to play with especially with Nero. The Dante Cavelliere R has an additional move that makes it simply better than the default one you get if you are a high level player... for low level players because Cavelliere has hyper armor and the R version doesn't, the default version would be better. Then the alternate Gerbera you get allows you to essentially quick fall or quick rise with neutral O attack. That is also very useful for high level players. While there is the Megaman Buster arm, it's tough to say how good that one is going to be. Then you have the additional soundtracks and style announcers on top of these tools.

It's a scummy thing to do IMO because if you are a hardcore fan, the Deluxe version is the complete version of the game and you are essentially paying 70 bucks for DMC5. At the very least it wasn't a $80 edition and the Deluxe edition can be found for cheaper on PC.

Deleted member 54091

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 23, 2019
Shame. I was thinking more of no damage runs.i thought that now with the mission areas being staged off that maybe it would work like that.

Being able to restart at any point without losing any score would literally kill the point of no damage runs.
I get that it's frustrating having a perfect run and getting hit by the boss at the end, but this is what this whole thing is about.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
Being able to restart at any point without losing any score would literally kill the point of no damage runs.
I get that it's frustrating having a perfect run and getting hit by the boss at the end, but this is what this whole thing is about.
Yep. I just hope we don't have to go through 2 loading screens to retry the mission.

Gabriel Hall

Oct 27, 2017
Thinking about that Vergil cutscene, it strikes me that character animation has always been an under-appreciated feature of DMC. Not just in the crazy action scenes, either, but even just plain old talking scenes. Dante, Nero, V and particularly Vergil all have their own distinct mannerisms, and watching them tells you so much about who they are as characters. When Vergil shows up to take Yamato back he's wheezing, barely holding it together, but the instant he draws the sword it's like he's back to his old self, making perfect, surgical cuts through space-time. Even with his face concealed and his voice disguised, you can tell from the animation alone that it's 100% Vergil.

It's something that DmC really didn't even attempt, for all its reputation for being cinematic; most cutscenes in that game are just two people standing and mumbling on Ninja Theory's soundstage while the cameraman slowly walks in circles around them, and Dante and Vergil just look like actors swinging foam swords rather than super highly-trained martial artists. That shit's important, y'know?

I always did wonder why I felt DmC's cutscene direction felt weaker than DMC3's or 4's. Thank you for articulating why, I was having trouble putting it into words.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
In Australia we're getting two different limited editions, one called the Lenticular Edition (which I'm guessing just has an extra slip cover over the case, and the Deluxe Edition which has all the extra Breakers and music but also an awesome steelbook. I'm getting both, one for Xbox and one PS4, because I'm a guileless slave to capitalism I mean because I want to support DMC5 so much :P

I always did wonder why I felt DmC's cutscene direction felt weaker than DMC3's or 4's. Thank you for articulating why, I was having trouble putting it into words.

Ninja Theory is really into performances and the craft of acting and all that, so you can always count on them for intense, emotional screaming directly into the camera, but when it comes to delivering exposition it's typically just two people standing and talking in shot/reverse-shot. Cutscene direction in the mainline DMC games is noticeably more stylish and creative; even when it's a comparable scene of two people talking, OG DMC is so full of life and energy.

It's a shame that people only remember the "dark soul with liiIIGGht" and "cuh-razy" lines and thinks the series is all cheese, because DMC3 in particular has some serious cinematic chops.

Deleted member 22405

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

I feel yah. I missed Devil May Cry. And honestly, a bit of a Capcom fanboy, it's obviously exciting to just be excited to see the Capcom logo over and over.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
In Australia we're getting two different limited editions, one called the Lenticular Edition (which I'm guessing just has an extra slip cover over the case, and the Deluxe Edition which has all the extra Breakers and music but also an awesome steelbook. I'm getting both, one for Xbox and one PS4, because I'm a guileless slave to capitalism I mean because I want to support DMC5 so much :P

Ninja Theory is really into performances and the craft of acting and all that, so you can always count on them for intense, emotional screaming directly into the camera, but when it comes to delivering exposition it's typically just two people standing and talking in shot/reverse-shot. Cutscene direction in the mainline DMC games is noticeably more stylish and creative; even when it's a comparable scene of two people talking, OG DMC is so full of life and energy.

It's a shame that people only remember the "dark soul with liiIIGGht" and "cuh-razy" lines and thinks the series is all cheese, because DMC3 in particular has some serious cinematic chops.
Just show them this one

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing DMC4SE and man I suck. It's so much harder to enemy step and to stay in the air in general. Dante is also begging for a training mode so I'm really glad we're finally getting it. Here's hoping we also get some kind of boss rush.

I forgot just how bad the Dante portion of the game is, damn. There are also some enemies that I feel do not work for Dante at all, like those stupid fish guys that swim through the ground or the flying swords. Those are such a pain to fight with him. I also really suck at fighting the angel armor guys with both characters. They've always kicked my ass. It's hard chasing them around.

Arttemis

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Just show them this one

DMC3 has the best story in the genre. That orchestral motif is so damn powerful and iconic, too. I hope DMC5 really goes for something as effective and memorable in both plot/score departments, and bonus points if they can come up with creative ways to include the mission number in the intros.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I hope there's an "upgrade" option on Steam for the regular edition to Deluxe. I'm getting it thanks to my GPU but of course it's the standard one.

Or at least don't be so expensive. RE2's dlc on their own are very expensive (I only bought the music dlc)

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan

Spartancarver

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's cheaper still if you get it on cdkeys.com, and you can like their facebook page to get a code that gives 3% off on top.

Though GMG's discount on the BASE version of DMC5 is the lowest I've seen so far without going into straight up scummy cdkey sites.

Nice! I'll have to check that out, thanks