• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

BadAss2961

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't complaining about a skill list not being present, I was complaining that the game doesn't teach you skills very well through gameplay.
The demo isn't the beginning of the game. The full release will also have a practice mode.

The series is big on creativity, finding your style, and learning the intricacies on your own. Kinda like a fighting game where you can get through just doing the basics, but you've only just scratched the surface.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Itsuno and his team definitely DID streamline certain mechanics and added QoL improvements. Many of them are subtle but they're a smart way of making the game feel more accessible without removing the spirit of how it plays.

Okay yeah it's true they've made some nuanced changes, but on the whole I'm not sure how much more accessible the game has become. If anything Nero is more complex than ever, and sticking to the old control scheme and his DMC4 moveset while giving him the devil breakers hasn't resulted in the most intuitive thing in the world, i.e. you have to let go of your lock-on every time you want to use a DB. This is something I didn't realize until I actually played the game. It's not game-breaking or anything, but I do find it cumbersome, and a few times the game didn't target who I intended.

The more I played the demo the more I enjoy it, for sure, but I think on the whole Itsuno and team seem to have stuck too closely to the notion of pleasing "classic" DMC fans, sticking to a control scheme that is closing in on being 20 years old. Then again I do appreciate that feeling of familiarity. I guess I'm kinda conflicted about it? I just wonder if there couldn't have been a better, modernized alternative that gives you the same high skill ceiling while also lowering the floor.

raketenrolf

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
I feel like I missed something in the demo because the combat was really boring for me due to not knowing how to do combos. All I did was pressing triangle, sometimes lift them up in the air and just mash triangle again.

Don't have much experience with the franchise.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
The more I played the demo the more I enjoy it, for sure, but I think on the whole Itsuno and team seem to have stuck too closely to the notion of pleasing "classic" DMC fans, sticking to a control scheme that is closing in on being 20 years old. Then again I do appreciate that feeling of familiarity. I guess I'm kinda conflicted about it? I just wonder if there couldn't have been a better, modernized alternative that gives you the same high skill ceiling while also lowering the floor.

Yeah, following the early marketing you'd get the sense that this was aimed to be some sort of hybrid of DmC and DMC but playing it for yourself makes all the difference. Outside of some things like no inertia carry over from JC-ing and the somewhat slower pace and floatiness it's very clearly a game made for the old fanbase, possibly at the expense of letting new people in.

I wonder how aware Capcom is of this. The way they've been showing off the game and concentrating purely on the mechanical side makes me feel like they're pushing it to this hardcore community so maybe they do know. Like it's how I'd expect a fighting game to be marketed, which is sort of what DMC is anyway. Maybe they're taking a punt on 5 here to see just how big this audience is. I for sure never expected to see a DMC game other than 1 and the reboot to get this kind of money thrown at it.

Part of what keeps DMC having its high skill ceiling I think tho is the way lockon and direction is the main access modifier to Nero's arsenal. Which also appears like a major stumbling block for new or long-time returning players, the notion of pressing three buttons to do simple actions while in DmC it would take one or two.

It's hard to take something like that out I think cause you're probably not going to be able to bind as many actions to each weapon/style/"familiar". You end up with a simpler, more fragmented weapon scheme like in DmC, where the angel and demon forms became the access modifiers instead to a lot of stuff that would usually be part of the default weapon (like roundtrip and calibur being on Acquila)

I'm glad they stuck to this course, but it's kind of a bummer that not everyone's feeling the hype. There's a good community of people on here though that can show how to pick up and learn a game like this even if the game's onboarding is a bit obtuse.

Last edited:

Bulby

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
I feel like I missed something in the demo because the combat was really boring for me due to not knowing how to do combos. All I did was pressing triangle, sometimes lift them up in the air and just mash triangle again.

Yeah same. I'll check some tutorials on yt. But going in cold, I have no idea how to play this game. Default button placement is horrible aswell

Zimmiwood

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
Woah this IGN journalist actually know his DMC stuff!
I didn't think any gaming journalist would ever mutter the words "jump cancel"
they had time to atone for their sins

then check these out, this guy here is putting out vids on the general overview of how to play dmc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzlpRHl1gs4&list=PLcAlwtHIsY5-kjsTsObzN4VznYvpceuWp&index=1

they're concise and to the point, which i also really appreciate lmao

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
https://youtu.be/uuuGj2PlqUE?t=130

Can someone tell me what buttons I need to press to do this air glide move? I've been spamming everything and haven't even accidentally pulled it off once.
It's called Calibur.

Jump, move the analog stick back then forward in a swift motion and press the attack button.

Note of warning, Calibur is heavily dependent on where Nero is positioned so if he's facing left then move it to the right then quickly to the left again then attack.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018
Man I skipped DMC4 for some reason but loved 3. My first run through of the demo was TERRIBLE. I forgot the base controls, was C and Ding everywhere. Didn't like melee on Y.

Went and watches 3 five minute videos and going again and this is sublime. I'm doing combos, keeping to the air. Learning the Exceed system and understanding the lock on again.

TheZodiacAge

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Is he playing the same demo we have?

Yeah
Thats just DMC ProPlayers doing their thing
They probably by now play the Demo 10 hours a day and try all sorts of things out even with the limited skillset available in the Demo which perfectly shows how amazing the design is if they can pull off something like that already.

Also Nero is close to what he was in DMC4 so there are years of experience playing him.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
https://youtu.be/uuuGj2PlqUE?t=130

Can someone tell me what buttons I need to press to do this air glide move? I've been spamming everything and haven't even accidentally pulled it off once.

If I remember correctly, In the air hold r1/rb, pull back on the analogue then push forward + triangle/Y. Check the move list in the pause menu, it helps a lot for the basic move sets.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017

You have to be able to enjoy learning, experimenting with and mastering gameplay mechanics to get the most out of these games. There's definitely a bit of a learning curve.

Oct 25, 2017
Decided to test it just once, just to see how it looks like, can't stop playing now.

I need to get used to air taunt, never use it enough.

It's crazy how much of a difference enemy step makes in mobility and defense, even without starting to get into crazier combos.

I also need to get used to balance my devil breaker usage. I'm either burning through them like crazy or holding to the same one for the whole level.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't complaining about a skill list not being present, I was complaining that the game doesn't teach you skills very well through gameplay.

Very few action games do. Especially when you get to the character action genre as a lot of the gameplay is about player creativity. They usually give basic fundamental information to the player then hand over the reigns. They also give a large variety in accommodating different play styles and this where the fun of the games lie and can't really be consolidated into basic snippets, and so deep that if it was done in traditional tutorial methodology you'd have tutorial pop up after tutorial pop up, also likely be extreamly tedious to be forced to fight enemies in specific ways (big criticism of DmC) because that flies in the face of what the genre has become known for.

Generally with these kind of games the first playthrough is usually seen as the tutorial itself as you unlock skills of your choice that drip feeds new abilities without overwhelming the player, the onus is then on the player to then experiment with what they chose.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
The EZA preview actually said that this game does a really good job of teaching you through gameplay, but it's hard to get a feel for that from an out of context piece of chapter 2.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like this game is impenetrable. I played the demo maybe 5 times through and still was unable to beat the boss at the end. I really like the style, the visuals and the type of game - but the combat just doesn't click with me over and over.

The controls feel really obtuse and antiquated to me, L1+R1 and jump and the direction to dodge?... why? I find myself accidentally hitting L1 at times and then it blows up my devil breaker.

I couldn't even figure out how to launch enemies in the air as the game refuses to tell you. And that too seems odd, back plus triangle?

It all feels very inelegant to me personally... that upsets me because I see the videos online of people pulling off the craziest combos, moves and I've seen the previews of the fantastical worlds and I want to experience it.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Does the Demo allow me to buy red orbs with real money?

Kinda weird if they didn't put in the feature most people will be using the most.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I feel like this game is impenetrable. I played the demo maybe 5 times through and still was unable to beat the boss at the end. I really like the style, the visuals and the type of game - but the combat just doesn't click with me over and over.

The controls feel really obtuse and antiquated to me, L1+R1 and jump and the direction to dodge?... why? I find myself accidentally hitting L1 at times and then it blows up my devil breaker.

I couldn't even figure out how to launch enemies in the air as the game refuses to tell you. And that too seems odd, back plus triangle?

It all feels very inelegant to me personally... that upsets me because I see the videos online of people pulling off the craziest combos, moves and I've seen the previews of the fantastical worlds and I want to experience it.
Take a look at the skill list. That said, yeah these games are not for everyone, I'm not particularly good at them but I enjoy the gameplay and focus on style but it takes a lot of practice and getting used to.

OP
OP
R.T Straker

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

You could start by actually paying attention to what the game actually teaches you.

L1 is the button that destroys your curent DB. It has nothing to do with the roll.

You dodge with R1(lockon)+ X in directions.

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
It's kinda funny seeing how some things that were ingrained in my muscle memory for almost a decade now (Lock-on + back + triangle to launch) is complained about to be unintuitive even though it's the first thing that pops into my head when I hear the word "launch".

I really hope DMC5 tries somewhat to ease people into its mecahnics.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Take a look at the skill list. That said, yeah these games are not for everyone, I'm not particularly good at them but I enjoy the gameplay and focus on style but it takes a lot of practice and getting used to.
I will study it closer and try again but the combinations just don't make sense in my brain. This is coming from someone who is a huge fan of Ninja Gaiden 1/2, Bloodborne, Dark Souls. Oh well, maybe I'll just stick with Sekiro.

Oct 25, 2017

DMC games are built for multiple playthroughs, I'm not sure if that's your thing, but if it is, just start on Easy instead of Normal or Hard and work your way up. No shame in that.

You can also use the auto-assist mode as a sort of source of ideas. Relying on it too much will never teach you anything, but if you use it just to see how the AI chains moves together so you can get a feel for how combos work, that's the intended use.

I will study it closer and try again but the combinations just don't make sense in my brain. This is coming from someone who is a huge fan of Ninja Gaiden 1/2, Bloodborne, Dark Souls. Oh well, maybe I'll just stick with Sekiro.
At least try out the auto-assist in this demo to see if it helps you in any way.

Dphex

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne, Germany

the first boss is really easy, you can continually damage him with an occasional dodge here and there...

and dodge is lockon+direction+jump, not l1+r1. you can also dodge through jumping or with the Gerbera. Take a look at the move list.

Silky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Georgia

So wait you're having trouble with DMC but not with Ninja Gaiden?

Is this a work

Oct 25, 2017
So wait you're having trouble with DMC but not with Ninja Gaiden?

Is this a work
It makes sense, though. It's a different kind of difficulty. In Ninja Gaiden, it's hard to stay alive and kill enemies.In DMC, especially post-3, killing things is not really a challenge, doing it stylish is. Getting hit once and losing your style meter hurts as much as a death to a post-game boss in something like KH II FM.

The thing is, that difficulty from games like Ninja Gaiden makes it so just beating the enemies feels satisfying. If you just use Red Queen Combo A over and over while dodging incoming attacks in this demo, you will kill everything, including the boss, but it'll feel awful, you won't enjoy yourself at all. This is a real issue with DMC, in that the "enjoyment floor" (since you can technically beat the game without pulling anything crazy) is way too high.

But I'm not sure how to fix it, considering that every other action games that does it well don't come close to matching the skill ceiling, so maybe we do have to choose.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Any advice on how to use the Blue Rose's charged shot during combos? Seems impossible to me, I think I would have to remap blue rose to one of the triggers or something.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
I find it interesting that people struggle with DMC combos compared to other action games. Chaining together a bunch of simple moves is easier for me than remembering a bunch of dial-a-combos.
Could be just that DMC3 was my intro to the genre though.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
Where did you hear this? It's just R1 and x.

And regular jumping it also a dodge.

Nov 13, 2017
The demo isn't the beginning of the game. The full release will also have a practice mode.

The series is big on creativity, finding your style, and learning the intricacies on your own. Kinda like a fighting game where you can get through just doing the basics, but you've only just scratched the surface.

That's a pretty good comparison, so thank you for that.

I know the combat in Spider-Man isn't nearly as involved as DMC, but I felt like that game did an excellent job teaching you all the game's mechanics, while also letting you get creative on your own, without feeling like you weren't playing the game right. DMCV, on the other hand, puts a lot of visual information on the screen without much context. The popups were helpful, but then I see the breakers in the bottom right corner and am left wondering how to select which one I want to use.

I've gotten a bunch of replies to my original post, so I just want to clarify something. I've played DMC 1-4, and know how those games work and how they reward creativity. I'm used to unlocking abilities and learning new mechanics as the game progresses. I know they have high replay value, especially once you master the combat. I'm also in huge favor of games not holding your hand and letting you figure things out. I'm a huge advocate for the Souls series in that regard.

What I'm trying to say is that this demo puts a bit too much visual information on the screen and does a poor job explaining it all. As someone who hasn't played a DMC since 4's release, I felt totally lost with the combat in this demo. Why is more than 1 breaker shown in the bottom right corner, if you can't select which one you want to use? You aren't told that you need to use one to get to the next one in the lineup. Virtually no explanation is given for the revving system until way later in the demo, so you're left hitting L2 wondering what you're actually doing for yourself.

I felt this demo was catered towards DMC experts, while not doing enough to try to teach non-experts the deeper mechanics of the game. Just because a game's combat is deep doesn't mean the game shouldn't try to teach it to you. As someone who has played fighting games competitively, and sunk hundreds of hours into multiple titles, I can respect having to learn and master the game's mechanics. That said, I still don't think it's crazy to think that a game should do more to teach players.

Hopefully this is done better in the retail release.

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Find it funny to see people who've played earlier dmc iterations having difficulty with this game's mechanics . How can u not know what EXceed is , if you've played dmc4 ?? How can people not know that trickster is an entire style based on dodging and jump is a form of dodge in this series . ODD .

I've played a bit of soulsborne series (finishing a couple and dropping the rest) , and they do the worst job of introducing new players to the control scheme . The only thing u get to hear from SB players is 'GIT GUD' , and most people don't seem to have a problem with that .

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Don't really understand the sentiment of 'complicated controls'. Theyre fairly straight forward , the demo just does an ass job of explaining things. The full game will likely teach you all you need to know.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I think this demo did a lot of good for long-time fans of the series who felt a bit burned after DmC. But I fear it may have turned a lot of newcomers away. I'm a casual DMC fan, and this demo put me in the "when it's $20" camp. It did incredibly little to onboard you, to the point where if you weren't willing to play the demo multiple times over, you likely didn't know what to do.

JumpCancel

Oct 26, 2017
...The controls feel really obtuse and antiquated to me, L1+R1 and jump and the direction to dodge?... why? I find myself accidentally hitting L1 at times and then it blows up my devil breaker...

If you don't want to trigger a breakage move: Don't press R1. It really is that simple. The demo does explain these mechanics to you, with the demo requiring you to press X/A to continue playing. Read it and learn it.

...I couldn't even figure out how to launch enemies in the air as the game refuses to tell you. And that too seems odd, back plus triangle?

Every DMC game uses that input for a launcher, not that you should be expected to have played them before. I would say that input is rather intuitive, as it makes sense mechanically. You use the same attack input as a standard attack, but by pulling the movement stick backward you are mimicking the attacks direction, as it comes from behind Nero towards the enemy. While you may not agree, it's definitely not odd.

...It all feels very inelegant to me personally... that upsets me because I see the videos online of people pulling off the craziest combos, moves and I've seen the previews of the fantastical worlds and I want to experience it.

All those people who are pulling off crazy combos have put hundreds of hours into DMC4 learning Nero. They have not gotten like that from this Demo and previous demos alone. It takes time, but you can achieve that level of you want to. Don't get upset: Get motivated.

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I beat every dmc game once and even beat DmC on Dante must die but I never heard of mechanics like jump canceling or exceed or that jumping = dodging. I guess I am a casual fan. I really hope they implement a good tutorial.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
I beat every dmc game once and even beat DmC on Dante must die but I never heard of mechanics like jump canceling or exceed or that jumping = dodging. I guess I am a casual fan. I really hope they implement a good tutorial.
Exceed was Nero's main gimmick in DMC4, how did you miss that?

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

You've... never heard of exceed?

2mqpa2g.jpg

They literally tell you about it though...