• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Played the demo... It really feels good to control, even more when compared with the choppy performance of Kingdom Hearts that I'm playing at the moment on my base ps4.

Despite the good combat it seems that my biggest gripes with Devil May Cry series remain. The constant arenas for combat, more linear and straight forward level design.... Will wait for a steam sale in the future. My march game will be Sekiro.
Why do you dislike combat arenas and linear level design? Linear design is a breath of fresh air nowadays and the combat arenas are only frustrating if you want to skip battles.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
WRT to input lag, Chasertech was also talking about that on twitter

I love the boss fight design here. It's a big, basic dumb Ogre but the environment is constantly changing seamlessly. It's like that one DMC3 fight against that stupid horse where it starts on a bridge, then CUTSCENE, then you're in an arena. But done really well without the need to stop the flow of combat in the janky way done by other games.

I get what people are saying about linear design, but if the full game could have more dynamic combat arenas like that then that would be amazing. I haven't seen anything much like that in the trailers so far tho

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Thanks, this makes a bit more sense. Seeing some of the videos people are posting, WOW I want to at least have a basic understanding of the combat like that.

Don't worry just keep playing.

An amazing thing called muscle memory will kick in.

Funny thing is I was playing Kingdom Hearts before the dmc5 demo and I kept pressing O to jump. In that case, 20 hours of Kingdom Hearts overwrote 100s of hours of DMC 1-4 play.

Its pretty crazy how powerful muscle memory is when it comes to video games.

Deleted member 23381

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I 2nd that the shock claw/bomb arm is super lame compared to the laser/dodge and freaking ridable rocket launcher/punch arm, especially the regular attack, sure it hits hard but then it's just like okay sure whatever.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
First thing is that you need to realize is that lock on isn't optional in DMC, it's mandatory. That means during combat, the R1 button has to be pressed all the time. When you remember to do this, then you realize that the moves in the game are actually easy to execute. Streak? Forward and Triangle. High Roller? Back and Triangle (hold to rise). The moves are all a combination of back and forward. After that you have to realize that dodging or evading is all a function of the Jump button and even a regular jump has invincible frames to get you out of trouble. Since you are always locked on, when you press the jump button you will generally evade the attack as long as you timed it reasonably well. The only time you shouldn't be locked on is if you want to do the Breaker moves, so just let go of R1 briefly and press O then back to holding down Lock on. This is just a basic learning curve thing with the DMC games, nothing compared to something like Souls games where it's a completely different system altogether from other games (and even more obtuse). All the moves are listed in the Skill lists in the options section. Definitely get into an open space and execute all the moves available in the demo to get a feel for them. By DMC standards, this demo and the boss were pretty easy, DMC1 was the original "git gud" 3D action game before all these Souls, Monster Hunter, Ninja Gaiden, Bayonetta etc. type games. But remember how many times you died against bosses in a Soul game or in a Ninja Gaiden, but you learned and overcame it... this is no different. New system, new controls, new game, new mindset.

Yes it IS different and they aren't really comparable but that's exactly what people do. Like when you see people come into DMC and say "there are only 2 combos in the game I feel so limited compared to so and so" you already know what mindset they are approaching this from.

This is a great explanation. I'm a huge 3D Ninja Gaiden guy, so I dont mind a hard game. It's different than that though. Ninja Gaiden dial a combo allows you as the player to learn the enemies moves and tells while you do a combo appropriate for it.

DMC has always felt free flowing to me, and I like how different both games are. I want to get good at DMC. I didnt realize holding the lock on was such a key thing and that it allows the jump button to act so an evade move.

When locking on, is it a press once or do you have to hold the lock on? I'm going to experiment a lot with the demo before the retail version releases.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is a great explanation. I'm a huge 3D Ninja Gaiden guy, so I dont mind a hard game. It's different than that though. Ninja Gaiden dial a combo allows you as the player to learn the enemies moves and tells while you do a combo appropriate for it.

DMC has always felt free flowing to me, and I like how different both games are. I want to get good at DMC. I didnt realize holding the lock on was such a key thing and that it allows the jump button to act so an evade move.

When locking on, is it a press once or do you have to hold the lock on? I'm going to experiment a lot with the demo before the retail version releases.
You have to hold lock on.

You can tell how much these guys have been playing the demo when they have 500K red orbs LOL!

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
I'm having so much fun with Gerbera. Mobility plus deflect just has me literally dancing in circles around the boss.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I 2nd that the shock claw/bomb arm is super lame compared to the laser/dodge and freaking ridable rocket launcher/punch arm, especially the regular attack, sure it hits hard but then it's just like okay sure whatever.

Someone else put it best: the main problem that arm has is that "Gerbera and Punchline extend fights; Overture ends them". And for a demo with already weak enemies, that doesn't give a lot of leeway to explore what Overture can do.

But I do like how it has context sensitive actions, like a pop-up on a downed enemy. Sounds like something that could compliment a Breaker layout that includes Buster if you just want want to deliver hard-hitting blows all day.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
Overture is definitely the weakest of the arms.

I think this thread pretty much sums up the ups and downs, for the most part, of the demo. I had a good amount of fun today with it but am now waiting for release. Can't wait to play as my boy Dante.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Overture is definitely the weakest of the arms.

I think this thread pretty much sums up the ups and downs, for the most part, of the demo. I had a good amount of fun today with it but am now waiting for release. Can't wait to play as my boy Dante.
Well "weakest" in the sense it's the most limited options wise but you already know that speed runners going to abuse that the most since it shreds life bars.

Oct 26, 2017
Overture would see way more use if breaker switching was a thing. Its simply not cool enough to compete with a rocket you can glide on, and becoming a rocket yourself

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
IMO the baseline fodder enemies should have been the Hell Caina and everything should be harder after that.
Hell Prides died to three hits of Dante's Combo I in DMC3, but they still have a place on the higher difficulties to function as nuisances or cathartic relief depending on the enemy scenario. Not everything needs to be a lust or a sloth.

Just like 3D Zelda, you're going to be holding lock on 95% of the time. In Nero's case, Breakers force you to drop it to use them and there's some really fancy shit you can do in combos if you know when to drop lock-on (I.E. being able to Streak freely in any direction). With Dante you'll likely be leaning onto lock on even more since he doesn't have anything that requires him not to be locked on to something to execute, and V doesn't look that far off, either.

But I do like how it has context sensitive actions, like a pop-up on a downed enemy. Sounds like something that could compliment a Breaker layout that includes Buster if you just want want to deliver hard-hitting blows all day.
Unless Buster has Hold, I think it's going to be one of those either/or choices outside of boss fights. Buster can create opportunities for crowd control/wide area hit-stun, but Overture can be spammed on everything, its contextual Batteries make catching enemies with it so easy, and it can be jump cancelled.

The Silver

Oct 28, 2017
Man seeing crazy punchline vids is making me dislike the breaker system more.

The entire time I'm thinking how nuts it would be if you could switch between punchline and gerbera on the fly, that would turn the game into zone of the enders or some shit, ground would never be touched again.

Deleted member 16657

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One thing I'm having trouble with is the arm being locked to Wire Snatch when you're locked on. Makes it difficult to weave arm moves in when you have to keep unlocking and locking back on.

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
One thing I'm having trouble with is the arm being locked to Wire Snatch when you're locked on. Makes it difficult to weave arm moves in when you have to keep unlocking and locking back on.
I put lock-on onto a left shoulder button and make sure it's a hold versus a toggle

It doesn't solve the problem but it makes it easier

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah switching between breakers would be great. Is it confirmed that we won't be able to switch them?
Not for the campaign but in the Void you can switch by pressing L1. It "breaks" them in the animation but it doesn't actually break them as you can set the options to not break so what happens is that you just cycle to the next Breaker while retaining your previous one. There is also the assumption that with Super Nero you can retain this feature as well since that's usually happens with Super costumes, they give you unlimited everything.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
Not for the campaign but in the Void you can switch by pressing L1. It "breaks" them in the animation but it doesn't actually break them as you can set the options to not break so what happens is that you just cycle to the next Breaker while retaining your previous one. There is also the assumption that with Super Nero you can retain this feature as well since that's usually happens with Super costumes, they give you unlimited everything.
Someone is gonna mod that in regular gameplay day 1 on PC if it works like you say.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It would be great to have the breakers as a switchable option. A bit like Bayos weapon system. Having 15 to play about with in different combinations that you can quickly switch between would massively increase gameplay potential. They should seriously consider having that as an option you can select on the equipment screen.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I also tell people think of Lock-On more as a move modifier, as opposed to an actual lock-on.

The soft auto lock system is good enough that you really don't need to be locked on to engage an enemy.

I feel that telling people that, conceptually makes them understand what's going on.

Lock-On is more of a Move Modifier button. Try training yourself that way and you'll develop muscle memory faster. Also, just stand in any given area and practice (R1+O), then O. Then do it again. R1+O, then O. You build that sort of rhythm down and you'll have it in no time.

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Much much better than 4. Very pleased. I still need to get used to the new battle mechanics. One thing I don't already like is the need of consumables. But I trust Itsuno. I don't want to play much though. I'll wait for the full game.

Nov 7, 2017
It would be great to have the breakers as a switchable option. A bit like Bayos weapon system. Having 15 to play about with in different combinations that you can quickly switch between would massively increase gameplay potential. They should seriously consider having that as an option you can select on the equipment screen.
that was probably the first thing they considered...Itsuno isn't a moron, i'm sure there's a reason it is how it is. #trustitsuno

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
it's been a loooooooong time since i've been addicted to a demo like this

Demo is great. I'm starting to ge the hang of it. Got As across the board last time, and for me that's an accomplishment.

How do you taunt? That increases your style score? Goliath barely touched me last time, and this coming from someone who barely got by him in my first play.

The full game is really going to be something.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Demo is great. I'm starting to ge the hang of it. Got As across the board last time, and for me that's an accomplishment.

How do you taunt? That increases your style score? Goliath barely touched me last time, and this coming from someone who barely got by him in my first play.

The full game is really going to be something.
Touchpad and the the air taunt is actually an air dodge that you can also air rev off of and use as like a "triple" jump.

Oct 27, 2017
Dante and V are playable, also Dante will have 9 Devil arms this time, so I dunno if that is enough weapons for you? lol
I know, but I'm still not sure if I will dig V to be honest. If Vergil is playable and one of the girls, I'm in.
Dante also needs like 5 or 6 cool melee weapons this time. I hate it when new weapons replace old ones. How many are there?
So far I know about his sword, nunchucks, gauntlets and boot combo and the hat, Have they confirmed more?

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
I know, but I'm still not sure if I will dig V to be honest. If Vergil is playable and one of the girls, I'm in.
Dante also needs like 5 or 6 cool melee weapons this time. I hate it when new weapons replace old ones. How many are there?
So far I know about his sword, nunchucks, gauntlets and boot combo and the hat, Have they confirmed more?
His motorcycle

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
They have said that Dante has more than the 8 or so weapons they have shown for him. And some new systems too that they aren't showing off yet.

So far Dante has: Rebellion/Sparda, Cerberus, Cavalliere (the bike), Balrog, Faust Hat, Kalina Ann, E&I and Shotgun. Faust Hat is not a melee devil arm, it's a fire arm.

They have confirmed hidden weapons as well. Honestly I am not worried about weapons in DMC5.

Oct 27, 2017
They have said that Dante has more than the 8 or so weapons they have shown for him. And some new systems too that they aren't showing off yet.

So far Dante has: Rebellion/Sparda, Cerberus, Cavalliere (the bike), Balrog, Faust Hat, Kalina Ann, E&I and Shotgun. Faust Hat is not a melee devil arm, it's a fire arm.

They have confirmed hidden weapons as well. Honestly I am not worried about weapons in DMC5.
That's good to know, thx. I honestly don't care about the ranking in those games, I just want to mess with as many fun tools as possible. I don't even mind if the campaign is short as long as something like Blood Palace is in the game.

Deleted member 671

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Rebellion
Sparda
Cerberus (Nunchucks, fire pole, electric chain)
Cavalier (Motorcycle mode and Chainsaw bike mode)
Balrog (Punch mode and kick mode)
Kalinna Ann 2
Faust
Ebony & Ivory
Coyote A shotgun

Itsuno essentially combined multiple weapons together to allow for the moveset of at least 13 weapons to be used at once. And that's what we know about.

vestan

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Dec 28, 2017
I don't even know how to taunt.
If you're playing on PS4, push down on the touchpad located in the middle of the controller

If you're playing on Xbox, press the view button

xbox-one-view-button.png