• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
After taking all the post from this thread I finally beat the demo. Didnt do amazingly well though but I beat it on my 2nd attempt. My first attempt I hit S rank on several fights but on my 2nd attempt even though I beat the demo I barely hit B rank. Couldnt chain my combos well.

Its starting to make more sense now, what's exceed? Another move modifier filled by a bar?

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
Its starting to make more sense now, what's exceed? Another move modifier filled by a bar?

Exceed is Nero's sword-revving system. Nero has some kind of hotrodded engine in his sword, and a motorcycle-style twist throttle in the hilt that lets him rev it up and blast flames out the back to hit guys harder. If you squeeze L2/LT a few times you'll see the motorcycle exhaust pipe HUD element at the top left of the screen fill up one level, and the next time you swing the sword you'll see flames coming out of it and you'll do more damage.

To use it in gameplay, you can hit L2/LT at a specific point during every one of Nero's sword attacks to instantly rev the sword one full level, and if you're good enough you can do it on every single attack, sending your damage output through the roof. Try getting into a rhythm of hitting L2 a moment or two after each sword strike to get a feel for the timing.

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After taking all the post from this thread I finally beat the demo. Didnt do amazingly well though but I beat it on my 2nd attempt. My first attempt I hit S rank on several fights but on my 2nd attempt even though I beat the demo I barely hit B rank. Couldnt chain my combos well.

exceed is vroom to make sword go boom

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
Why do you dislike combat arenas and linear level design? Linear design is a breath of fresh air nowadays and the combat arenas are only frustrating if you want to skip battles.
I like to have a good reason to fight, and even the option to run sometimes, not only be forced to battle. About the level design, I'm not talking about open world, but something more thought out for exploration. Metroidvanias approach are my preferred way. In honestly the From software style of Souls games are my jam, this is why I mentioned Sekiro. A 3d melee metroidvania with Devil May Cry combat would be my dream game.

Oct 27, 2017
I like to have a good reason to fight, and even the option to run sometimes, not only be forced to battle. About the level design, I'm not talking about open world, but something more thought out for exploration. Metroidvanias approach are my preferred way. In honestly the From software style of Souls games are my jam, this is why I mentioned Sekiro. A 3d melee metroidvania with Devil May Cry combat would be my dream game.
So Ninja Gaiden Black?

Superman2x7

Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Exceed is Nero's sword-revving system. Nero has some kind of hotrodded engine in his sword, and a motorcycle-style twist throttle in the hilt that lets him rev it up and blast flames out the back to hit guys harder. If you squeeze L2/LT a few times you'll see the motorcycle exhaust pipe HUD element at the top left of the screen fill up one level, and the next time you swing the sword you'll see flames coming out of it and you'll do more damage.

To use it in gameplay, you can hit L2/LT at a specific point during every one of Nero's sword attacks to instantly rev the sword one full level, and if you're good enough you can do it on every single attack, sending your damage output through the roof. Try getting into a rhythm of hitting L2 a moment or two after each sword strike to get a feel for the timing.
exceed is vroom to make sword go boom

Thanks

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Devil may cry is just not the type of game that would be benefited from metroidvania imo because that would lend to a way longer game that is also way more repetitive because DMC is not Sekiro since you can select a difficulty and make it as hard as you want.

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
Well "weakest" in the sense it's the most limited options wise but you already know that speed runners going to abuse that the most since it shreds life bars.
Yep. Strongest to attack, weakest to use. But I'm seeing some vids that show promise. It's too early to call it, just like every DMC weapon ever. It just wasn't clicking with me but that's also cause it was killing enemies quick, where I was trying to not do. Might just be a byproduct of a demo and having to grind back to the good fights.

Oct 27, 2017
Devil may cry is just not the type of game that would be benefited from metroidvania imo because that would lend to a way longer game that is also way more repetitive because DMC is not Sekiro since you can select a difficulty and make it as hard as you want.
Wait, but DMC and DMC3 to a minor degree kinda already were about finding keys, opening new areas and so on. More like Resident Evil, but you get the idea. Or is my memory playing tricks on me?

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Okay yeah it's true they've made some nuanced changes, but on the whole I'm not sure how much more accessible the game has become. If anything Nero is more complex than ever, and sticking to the old control scheme and his DMC4 moveset while giving him the devil breakers hasn't resulted in the most intuitive thing in the world, i.e. you have to let go of your lock-on every time you want to use a DB. This is something I didn't realize until I actually played the game. It's not game-breaking or anything, but I do find it cumbersome, and a few times the game didn't target who I intended.

The more I played the demo the more I enjoy it, for sure, but I think on the whole Itsuno and team seem to have stuck too closely to the notion of pleasing "classic" DMC fans, sticking to a control scheme that is closing in on being 20 years old. Then again I do appreciate that feeling of familiarity. I guess I'm kinda conflicted about it? I just wonder if there couldn't have been a better, modernized alternative that gives you the same high skill ceiling while also lowering the floor.

Many fans, myself included, have brainstormed ways to "modernize" DMC's controls and button layout while retaining its depth and it's not something I think anyone in the community has found an answer for. If Itsuno and his team found a crazy new way to update DMC gameplay while retaining all of its strengths then I'm sure they would.

https://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm34612079

It's going to be crazy seeing what people can pull off in the full game and with Dante/V

Good music choice lol. Actually fits the cheesy nature of DMC well.

I shouldn't have played the demo. I was thinking about playing some DMC4:SE until this comes out after I finish RE2, but now I don't wanna touch it. :C

I've been that way since DMC5 got announced. I can't imagine going back to 4 now, and I say that as the kind of person that loves replaying games.

Did not like It, in my opinion, NG series is the best hack n slash

NG (Black) is a fantastic game but it just can't compare to DMC. The combat doesn't have enough on-the-fly options and the Zelda dungeon stuff gets to be a drag.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Well "weakest" in the sense it's the most limited options wise but you already know that speed runners going to abuse that the most since it shreds life bars.
I hope different enemy types draw more out of Overture. Maybe it'll be really good for parrying certain attacks. If damage output is all it really offers, its combo utility might be limited to finishers.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
Wait, but DMC and DMC3 to a minor degree kinda already were about finding keys, opening new areas and so on. More like Resident Evil, but you get the idea. Or is my memory playing tricks on me?
It is similar in what you are doing but expanding the metroidvania aspects imo would not benefit the game because DMC is very repayable by design so having more things to get and to backtrack on each new game+ would not be enjoyable. I think the super linear level design benefits the game since you get from boss to boss quickly.

Deleted member 984

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Metroidvanias and character action games are my two favourite genres and I'm a huge fan of From Softwares output since Otogi but in my opinion games like DMC need less exploration and more combat if going for the replay-ability factor as it becomes pretty tedious on the 5th character or the 6th difficulty level. I thought DMC3 got the balance between action and exploration close to perfect. What I think they need more is a Nioh-esq ability to just pick boss fights without having to play an entire chapter and after DMC4 be able to play through the entire game with a single character once completed rather than be forced to change.

Saying that I'd 100% be up for a combination of the two genres, just make a new IP like Team Ninja did with Nioh creating a character action-RPG rather than trying to force Ninja Gaiden into it.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
It is similar in what you are doing but expanding the metroidvania aspects imo would not benefit the game because DMC is very repayable by design so having more things to get and to backtrack on each new game+ would not be enjoyable. I think the super linear level design benefits the game since you get from boss to boss quickly.
Good point, I agree.

KamenRiderEra

Oct 25, 2017
So Ninja Gaiden Black?
Never played. Maybe one day if gamepass comes to Pc or for some reason I buy an xbox.

Just add a very robust Blood Palace for post game, with boss rushes and all kind of options for enemies waves.

Saying that I'd 100% be up for a combination of the two genres, just make a new IP like Team Ninja did with Nioh creating a character action-RPG rather than trying to force Ninja Gaiden into it.
I agree!

gunbo13

Oct 26, 2017
It would be cool if overture caused guard break on tougher and/or armored enemies. That's not new to DMC either.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It would be cool if overture caused guard break on tougher and/or armored enemies. That's not new to DMC either.
Guard break/armor break seems like something that is a specialty of the Helter Skelter Devil Breaker. Another Breaker that looks boring on paper but probably has some extra utility like its ability to break guards/armors.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
So I tried something for fun in the demo. I just Enemy Stepped on top of guys over and over, making sure to not touch the ground, and then would taunt. I did this over and over again and I was able to get the Style Meter up to an A rank without actually attacking. Was that possible in previous games?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So I tried something for fun in the demo. I just Enemy Stepped on top of guys over and over, making sure to not touch the ground, and then would taunt. I did this over and over again and I was able to get the Style Meter up to an A rank without actually attacking. Was that possible in previous games?
Seems like if you get a reward for doing enemy step and an action, works all the way up until A rank. You can also do this with gun shot. But there is a cap to it at A rank. It wasn't like this in the previous games but it doesn't really matter if you aren't rewarded that much beyond A rank for it.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Quick overview of Gerbera is up! I find it's the biggest game changer seeing as it severely enhances mobility. The overviews on other breakers will follow shortly!

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
So it it possible to manually switch devil breakers in the demo!?

So Ninja Gaiden Black?

Truth. Game is amazing to this day. Soulsborne difficulty, but deeper combat/moveset that includes weapons that all handle completely different as though you're playing as a new character in a fighting game (not just bladed weapons and hammers but nunchaku, staffs, bladed nunchaku, and magic superabilities), acrobatic moves like headbounces, flips and wall-running, several types of shuriken and arrrows, etc. It's everything fun about watching martial arts movies but interactive. Every fight is an opportunity to coreograph a badass martial arts fight in real time and the combos that are available to you are only limited by your creativity. And its game design is just as impressive as the combat system and includes metroidvania level design, lots of platforming and light puzzle solving. As much as I love and respect Soulsborne games, the gameplay in NG is more open with more variety and holds up just as well. The fact that it's a 15 year old release makes that even more impressive.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not without breaking them You can break with L1 which causes an explosion or using a super move which requires holding down O/B.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just a quick note for new players struggling without having a dedicated dodge button: just press jump before you get hit, don't need to do anything fancy, don't need to move out of the way just jump.

With the boss apart from one move where you need to run to the side you can stand by its feet and continuously hit it just tapping jump when you need to. Just remember if the enemy has a combo and you don't have enemy step or the second jump, attacking or shooting whilst in the air will keep you airborne without a simple means to evade the follow up attacks.

DMC gives you lots of options to evade but are for higher skill levels and when you have mastered the basics. The basics aren't particularly high skill but fly in the face of other games so take a bit of getting use to.
Is there no I framed? I feel like I jumped or dodged and still got hit.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What would be the reason to break one as opposed to using its super move? Is the explosion comparable in damage?
The explosion has invincible frames so it can get you out of situations. In addition, it's instant with no charge time require so when you really need to swap out that's your fastest way. Essentially if you want to do multi Breaker combos. The cool thing about Punchline is that the explosion happens where the Breaker is so you don't get locked out by the animation and can freely be in combat during it.

I frames exist, you still have to time it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
What would be the reason to break one as opposed to using its super move? Is the explosion comparable in damage?

If you want to use a specific arm in your magazine and you only have a limited time to get there. Sometimes I'll have an Overture equipped when I get Goliath into his downed state, and I need to get to Punch Line quick to charge a rocket uppercut, so I'll want to break the Overture before Goliath recovers.

The jump only has i-frames at the beginning. You're invincible on the first few frames after leaving the ground, but you can still take damage at the top of your jump and on the way down.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The explosion has invincible frames so it can get you out of situations. In addition, it's instant with no charge time require so when you really need to swap out that's your fastest way. Essentially if you want to do multi Breaker combos. The cool thing about Punchline is that the explosion happens where the Breaker is so you don't get locked out by the animation and can freely be in combat during it.

I frames exist, you still have to time it.
Ok seems I just suck :(

*sigh* I still can't beat the boss, I'm really trying here and I guess I just won't be able to play this game. I feel old now.

Granted I've never had such trouble with any action series before. I really so badly want to like this game because some of things in it are so damn cool (like the rocket skateboard)

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

*sigh* I still can't beat the boss, I'm really trying here and I guess I just won't be able to play this game. I feel old now.

Granted I've never had such trouble with any action series before. I really so badly want to like this game because some of things in it are so damn cool (like the rocket skateboard)
I would say just equip 4 Gerberas against the boss and use the O button to dodge with Gerbera and take the fight to the air. Don't ground yourself against him and use Snatch to reposition after a Gerbera. When he is stunned or something use the Gerbera super move in the air next to him for damage. Don't give up man, you can do it!

Also main game has Easy (Human mode) in it as well if you feel this is too much. I would say the demo is probably Normal (Devil Hunter mode) given how much HP the boss has.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

The full game will be more forgiving in terms of checkpoints and probably an easier difficulty mode, if that helps. You won't have to restart the whole level when you lose to the boss.

DMC has its own idiosyncrasies that nobody picks up straight away, the thing is that most of the people you see making those insane combo videos have been playing the series for almost 20 years now. Back in 2001 we were all getting our faces stomped in by this guy:

i8c6tAe.jpg

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
In full game you also have on the spot revive with red orbs and gold orbs. So if you got close to beating a boss but died then you can revive on the spot and continue from there.

Vire

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Appreciate the encouragement haha. I will try again tomorrow, at the very least I am getting a little better at dispatching the regular mobs since yesterday

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Lets just see how the full game is.

Instead of judging all of DMC5s level design based on an edited, truncated representation of the final game's mission 2.

We already know from preview footage that you get to fully explore the hotel (that is cut off from the demo) in the final build, and one of the rooms even has a secret mission in it. It's kind of funny but in one of the rooms an enemy is standing there has a bait and another leaps out from the side hidden to ambush you Dark Souls style. That had to be a bit of a nod from Capcom.

Also, watching previews it seems that missions where you can play as a multiple characters has sort of a scenario zapping system. For example, with one character you can find a secret area where you can lower a bridge down, so that when you replay that mission has another character, that bridge is already down leading to secrets and stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

So, just for beating the boss. Bring 4 Gerbera's with you. And get used to it's dodging mechanic. You chain multiple dodges with Gerbera (ground or air).

Don't worry about lock-on. Just stick with basic air combos and spam Gerbera like your life dependent on it.

You'll get a poor rank, and it probably won't be the most exciting way to beat the boss. But it at least give you the confidence you need so you can move on and start practicing stuff.

Really wish the demo had Void mode. Shit would be so much easier for people to just practice on an enemy with infinite health. Oh well.

Oct 27, 2017
I was not a fan of the demo last month that was Xbox only. Felt weird compared to how I remember DMC 3 and 4. This demo feels a bit better, but something still feels a little off. I played this one on PlayStation hoping it was just the Xbox controller. MaybeI've forgotten how to play and need to replay the old titles. Will definitely look up some videos on YouTube about this demo this week.

Last edited:

Deleted member 19533

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I was not a fan of the demo last month that was Xbox only. Felt weird compared to how I remember DMC 3 and 4. This demo feels a bit better, but something still feels a little off. MaybeI've forgotten how to play and need to replay the old titles. Will definitely look up some videos on YouTube about this demo this week.
Nero plays exactly like DMC4 with Split being a different input and some new moves on top. The combos are the same, the timings for exceed are the same... his play is very much DMC4. Once you familiarize yourself with it, I'm sure you'll see it.

Oct 28, 2017
I was not a fan of the demo last month that was Xbox only. Felt weird compared to how I remember DMC 3 and 4. This demo feels a bit better, but something still feels a little off. MaybeI've forgotten how to play and need to replay the old titles. Will definitely look up some videos on YouTube about this demo this week.

I felt the same. It's been years since I played devil May cry. But something about 5 felt slow and heavy, I remember the older games being faster.

Oct 28, 2017

I played the demo on assisted mode and I beat the boss on my first try. Also, there are green health orbs laying around the environment to collect if your health runs low.

Try looking for them next time. Also if you didn't already, buy the air hike move, it's a handy double jump.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's definitely the same speed as previous games (frame to frame similar to DMC4) but it's been so long since people played the older games they don't remember as well. With exception of DMC3 because when you start doing "crazy combos" it feels faster when you are mashing those attack. But generally if you saw videos of DMC3/DMC4 online or something then A) they were being played by pros who already play super fast and B) they were playing on Turbo mode which the demo doesn't support yet.

It does feel heavier though but that's intentional as part of their more realistic animations and transitions philosophy. Also there is some input lag in the game that wasn't present in base DMC4 before.

Last edited:

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017

The i-frames are in the beginning and its quite generous really, ex:

I was not a fan of the demo last month that was Xbox only. Felt weird compared to how I remember DMC 3 and 4. This demo feels a bit better, but something still feels a little off. I played this one on PlayStation hoping it was just the Xbox controller. MaybeI've forgotten how to play and need to replay the old titles. Will definitely look up some videos on YouTube about this demo this week.
I felt the same. It's been years since I played devil May cry. But something about 5 felt slow and heavy, I remember the older games being faster.

Try playing DMC4 again, its basically the same speed. What might be is that DMC5 has better animation. But speed-wise is almost/basically the same.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
Played through the Demo a couple of times and I'm really, really liking it. Been playing DMC4(on turbo) recently as well so I've got some muscle memory as well.

I really like The breakers. They're game changers for Nero. Gerbera and Punchline are so damn cool. Punchline makes for so many cool taunting opportunities, I fricking love it. The inability to swap between them is weird but management doesn't seem to hard. The enemies, music, art and graphics are all great too.

Things that really bothered me are:
1. Why on earth did they change the input on Split!? I really can't think of a reason, and getting used to this is stupidly hard for me. Wish there was a way to change it back.
2. The old charge shot was unwieldy and needed remapped controls but was so damn good compared to the one here in this. I get that it was kinda OP in DMC4 though.
3. Frame rate isn't stable...Frame rate usually doesn't bother me in general but it's quite disappointing that an XB1X can't get 60fps. Wonder why they didn't just drop the resolution or put in a performance mode(maybe the full game will have one).

Overall everything looks good and I can't wait. Hopefully we get some performance improvements.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
1. Why on earth did they change the input on Split!? I really can't think of a reason, and getting used to this is stupidly hard for me. Wish there was a way to change it back.

They've given Nero a new move that which fits the R1 + Forward + Triangle input better than Split does, since it's a forward-moving diving kick.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I knew Nero would be a returning character, but I honestly didn't think they'd bring the exceed system back. Pretty unhappy about this, I personally think this was a lame mechanic from DMC4. It adds a timing mechanic to the combat that I want nothing to do with.

I knew this game would be a return to the classic DMC combat, but I didn't expect it to be this old feeling. I know classic DMC combat is lock on based, but why does the lock on system still have to feel shitty? I fling the stick and press the button expecting to lock onto the leftmost enemy, but instead, it locks onto the enemy that's just to the right of him. There's only like five enemies on screen, it shouldn't be having trouble with this. Also, unpopular opinion I guess, but I thought the removal of the lock on the mechanic in DmC was a welcome addition. A lot of the combat in Devil May Cry has always been group based, so having a lock on mechanic always felt clumsy to me. The opt for a dedicated dodge and launcher button also felt better than the direction based stuff of the past.

I guess I just need to play more, but I was kinda expecting this game to feel like a modern DMC game instead of just DMC4 again.

s y

Nov 8, 2017
knew Nero would be a returning character, but I honestly didn't think they'd bring the exceed system back. Pretty unhappy about this, I personally think this was a lame mechanic from DMC4. It adds a timing mechanic to the combat that I want nothing to do with.
I didn't think it was possible to dislike Exceed.

Jun 26, 2018
I knew Nero would be a returning character, but I honestly didn't think they'd bring the exceed system back. Pretty unhappy about this, I personally think this was a lame mechanic from DMC4. It adds a timing mechanic to the combat that I want nothing to do with.

I knew this game would be a return to the classic DMC combat, but I didn't expect it to be this old feeling. I know classic DMC combat is lock on based, but why does the lock on system still have to feel shitty? I fling the stick and press the button expecting to lock onto the leftmost enemy, but instead, it locks onto the enemy that's just to the right of him. There's only like five enemies on screen, it shouldn't be having trouble with this. Also, unpopular opinion I guess, but I thought the removal of the lock on the mechanic in DmC was a welcome addition. A lot of the combat in Devil May Cry has always been group based, so having a lock on mechanic always felt clumsy to me. The opt for a dedicated dodge and launcher button also felt better than the direction based stuff of the past.

I guess I just need to play more, but I was kinda expecting this game to feel like a modern DMC game instead of just DMC4 again.

Modern DMC? What?

You sound like you just want DmC2, which is fair, but this game is explicitly being made as a direct continuation of DMC4, so if you go in expecting DmC, then of course you're going to be disappointed.

Jangowuzhere

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Modern DMC? What?

You sound like you just want DmC2, which is fair, but this game is explicitly being made as a direct continuation of DMC4, so if you go in expecting DmC, then of course you're going to be disappointed.
No, I just want a game that feels like a new DMC and not just DMC4-2.

I'm not going to base everything off of a demo, but my initial impressions aren't super great. My main gripe is just the lock on at the moment. It feels just as crappy as it did in DMC4. If they're gonna have this mechanic, then it should always be reliable, and sometimes it isn't from what I've experienced.