• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 984

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They won't hold a candle to DMC5's combat system though. Or DMC3 or 4's, for that matter.

I class Nioh and DMC4 as the top tier combat systems. Totally different than each other but both the best in class so far. The amount of variety and creativity in both of those combat systems is astounding. I've not looked at any promotional material for N2 but it certainly has the potential to rival the quality in combat that DMC5 provides despite likely not being flashy.

Oct 26, 2017
They won't hold a candle to DMC5's combat system though. Or DMC3 or 4's, for that matter.
Yes lets derail the thread by arguing about which combat systems in totally different genres are better than each other.
I prefer Niohs combat is to dmc4se, because style and efficiency are one. /SPOILER]

Itsuno still holding back:

The ghost data thing is so cool, people watching all the footage are nuts though. I dont really care about spoilers for a dmc story, but I do wanna see cool interactions/bosses/enemies for myself.

Mifec

Oct 25, 2017
That's the new sword he gets when he gains his awakened DT state, seen in the TGA trailer. Probably a reforged Rebellion since it broke in the prologue of the game.

I guess it is, you're right.

Reminded me of a Gladius from DMC4

Short and has a red point at the bottom

jaCbNCx.jpg

Deleted member 27751

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Man this game just brings hype to next level. Gosh it's so beautiful on ps4 I can't imagine what it is going to be like on PC.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Has there ever been a director being as confident as Itsuno is about the game they made before release? Cant really think of any instance like this marketing wise.
I mean he is confident about it playing well with the fans, all of his comments are directed towards the hardcore fans and these guys have pre ordered the game already. The challenge is how DMC5 is received by the general audience. I am sure both him and Capcom are a bit anxious about it since it's such a gamble on their part.

Gilver

Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Costa Rica
I mean he is confident about it playing well with the fans, all of his comments are directed towards the hardcore fans and these guys have pre ordered the game already. The challenge is how DMC5 is received by the general audience. I am sure both him and Capcom are a bit anxious about it since it's such a gamble on their part.
I think that if you cater to the most loyal fans than that is a good marketing strategy due to all the good will and word of mouth being spread but I do agree that a repercussion is that it might be sold as something its not to new people. But I dont think its as much of a gamble to Capcom since DMC was always strong Ip.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok after playing through the demo 50-ish times now, this might end up being my favorite action game of all time. Maybe I'll have to replace my Bayonetta avatar even, we'll see.

My Devil Arm loadout is 4x Punch Line. There's a high risk it'll stay that way forever at this point because holy shit.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

The other day I thought it would be cool if the game had a replay save option, so that you could go back through your run of a level and adjust the camera to your liking for the purposes of editing together a combo video. DMC has such a long history with that kind of stuff it's surprising they haven't added anything to serve that sub-community.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I honestly wonder what Capcom's sale expectations are. This game looks like it has an ungodly budget for an action game. Are they expecting 5+ million sales? As hyped as we all are, DMC has never been a franchise known for pulling of ridiculous numbers.

This is the demo I've spent most time with since Sons of Liberty back in... well, I prefer to ignore it. My honest impression from what I've played, read and seen is that DMC V has mind-blowing potential to be the hardcore game of this generation. Devil Breakers are a touch of creative genius (even with its peculiar implementation), but what really makes me lose the plot is Nero being only a third of the experience, perhaps less than that if other characters (please) make it into the final game.

If pacing and enemy/level variety are consistent, plus they keep some surprises hidden for post-game, Itsuno would have delivered something close to an action masterpiece.

PS: Yes, I'm hyped.

Right with you. I've spent at least 4 hours on the demo and I'm so hyped! Nearly everything we hear about this game just sounds amazing and all the preview footage I've seen (mostly avoided the latest batch so as not too spoil myself too much) is so jaw dropping.

Itsuno (and Matt Walker) have both shown such confidence in this title and have been so nice to their fans. It's such a rare treat to see a big budget game where the PR is practically nothing but positive and with the developers so eagerly talking to (and with!) their fans.

Mezoly

Jimbo Replacement
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly wonder what Capcom's sale expectations are. This game looks like it has an ungodly budget for an action game. Are they expecting 5+ million sales? As hyped as we all are, DMC has never been a franchise known for pulling of ridiculous numbers.

Even if it's the best selling DMC game [which I think it will be], I don't think it will sell over 5M. The genre is too niche to sell that high, So my hopes are it either surprises me and sell over that or Capcom expectations are in line with the genre market size.

Sibersk Esto

Changed the hierarchy of thread titles
Oct 25, 2017
DMC/this demo makes me feel like I have to relearn how to use my hands sometimes lol

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
I don't understand this system lol.
Last playthrough I never got hit until Goliath, who only hit me a couple of times and got A, S, A -->S

Next time I got hit once by a normal mob and I was even close to dying to Goliath and got S, S, S -->S

I know damage isn't the only factor but style was pretty much the same (I'd even say it was better the first time around) and I thought the second playthrough was atrocious and then get rewarded with a SSS lol.

storaføtter

Oct 26, 2017
My run through of the full demo. I think I'm done for now. It's time to wait for the full release.

Expectations have been exceeded. As far as a demo goes.

I can't believe how skillfun some of you play the game. In DMC4 I could get S ranks easy in early missions but suck in this demo. Still confused about the use of the mechanics, but really love the new arm item mechanics.

Still gotta finish DMC4 special edition. So will wait a bit, but the demo plays amazing.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I'm consistently S-ranking the demo despite only getting A in each section. I'm still not sure how ranking works in this game.

Deleted member 4609

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can see a breakdown in the results screen by pressing a button. There's one for rushing through that gives you a +1000 bonus, which is pretty big considering that styling and taunting give you 100-300-ish. I suppose having to move fast between key encounters is preferable to the BS "% of red orbs obtained" in DMC4, though.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
I'm consistently S-ranking the demo despite only getting A in each section. I'm still not sure how ranking works in this game.

Check the breakdown in the mission screen.

You're probably getting style point bonuses by things like Speed Clear, or even by jumping in water.

Popping all the balloons in the starting area gives you +500 style points for your end bonus. This may be enough to get you an S rank, despite only getting A ranks for each battle encounter.

preta

Oct 25, 2017
By the way, should I like read story summaries or watch let's plays or maybe even play the first four games myself if I want to understand DMC V's story at all? I love a good cheesy over the top story, and I've got the feeling this might be one like that. If it's relatively standalone, I'll just ignore the earlier games and jump in, though.
DMC3 is an absolute must-play. It's an incredible game, one of the best action games of all time. It's the first game chronologically, but also probably one of the more relevant ones to DMC5. Story is the best in the series so far, and is definitely cheesy and over-the-top.

DMC1 isn't as over-the-top as some of its successors, either in story or the gameplay options afforded to you to do wild stuff, but it's a very well-designed game that still has some Resident Evil DNA in it, what with the way you explore the castle it's set in. Story is fairly minimal.

DMC4 has the best core gameplay in the series (until 5?), and it's got plenty of crazy cutscenes like 3. It has pacing and content reuse issues, and the story isn't as good as DMC3's, but the core gameplay is just so fantastic it makes up for it. It's also the other game besides 3 that's particularly relevant to 5, since it also stars 5's protagonist Nero.

DMC2 doesn't exist and DmC is a completely standalone reboot that's pretty divisive.

If possible I really recommend at least playing 3 and 4. 1 probably won't be very relevant to 5 but it's still a good game, and it invented the "stylish action" genre that games like DMC, Bayonetta, The Wonderful 101 etc. inhabit.

Last edited:

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
When I first used overture in the demo I wasn't really a fan of it, then I practiced a bit with it and actually enjoy it a lot now. Some of it's contextual stuff can be iffy which leads to frustration though as a different move came out rather then one you want.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
is this demo timed like that last one?
Previous demo wasn't
Check the breakdown in the mission screen.

You're probably getting style point bonuses by things like Speed Clear, or even by jumping in water.

Popping all the balloons in the starting area gives you +500 style points for your end bonus. This may be enough to get you an S rank, despite only getting A ranks for each battle encounter.
I thought these bonuses gave red orbs and not style points.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Just finished the demo for the first time, seemed absurdly easy?

Game was fun though, ended up getting A rank. Will probably buy this down the line, havent beated a DMC before but have been playing a bit of DMC3se

Oct 26, 2017
When I first used overture in the demo I wasn't really a fan of it, then I practiced a bit with it and actually enjoy it a lot now. Some of it's contextual stuff can be iffy which leads to frustration though as a different move came out rather then one you want.

Yea overture is not very reliable since you can't use lock on with breakers, not reallly sure why they didn't just bind snatch to it's own button

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I have an issue with lock on in general for dmc5 so far, previous games provided lock on options in the menu on which enemy it focuses on. While here there are times where there's an enemy in front, I do a high roller (launcher) against it and instead do a streak in the opposite direction to an enemy way far behind me.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished the demo for the first time, seemed absurdly easy?

Game was fun though, ended up getting A rank. Will probably buy this down the line, havent beated a DMC before but have been playing a bit of DMC3se
It is if you have played other action games/DMC games before. But the difficulty ramps up around mission 10/11 though as you transition into Dante and there are more powerful types of enemies, enemies in the demo were mostly fodder. Not that I expect it to be that hard anyway, DMC games haven't been hard since vanilla DMC3 and that was because you were playing on Hard with no checkpoints. It's always about how hard DMD mode is though.

Oct 25, 2017
canada
It is if you have played other action games/DMC games before. But the difficulty ramps up around mission 10/11 though as you transition into Dante and there are more powerful types of enemies, enemies in the demo were mostly fodder. Not that I expect it to be that hard anyway, DMC games haven't been hard since vanilla DMC3 and that was because you were playing on Hard with no checkpoints. It's always about how hard DMD mode is though.

theres like 4 different difficulty modes right? Easy, Normal, hard, and DMD?

Do we know how many missions are in the game?

Also upload some videos, I wanna see your play

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
theres like 4 different difficulty modes right? Easy, Normal, hard, and DMD?

Do we know how many missions are in the game?

Also upload some videos, I wanna see your play
Roughly yea. It's Human (Easy), Normal (Devil Hunter), Hard (Son of Sparda) and DMD mode. There are some extra gimmick difficulties like Hell and Hell mode but they aren't really worth it.

20 missions in the game plus one prologue mission and a speculated epilogue.

Why do you want to see my play? Lol! I am not as good as some of the other people out there. Like yea I got S rank but that's nothing compared to what people have been doing:

20190209_144435.jpg

This is what you should be watching though :

Oct 25, 2017
canada
Roughly yea. It's Human (Easy), Normal (Devil Hunter), Hard (Son of Sparda) and DMD mode. There are some extra gimmick difficulties like Hell and Hell mode but they aren't really worth it.

20 missions in the game plus one prologue mission and a speculated epilogue.

Why do you want to see my play? Lol! I am not as good as some of the other people out there. Like yea I got S rank but that's nothing compared to what people have been doing:

20190209_144435.jpg

This is what you should be watching though :

What the shit. Been enjoying Donguri and XHLgladiators vids too. How do I cancel the skateboard thing, couldnt figure it out.

whats does L2 do, I tried using it a few times but nothing happened.

Upload some of yours. I'm curious to see why you're only getting A ranks and not S ranks. I bet it's a small thing you aren't capitlizing on.

tbf... I had like no idea how to use breakers, I just randomly threw em out or used them for traversal

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What the shit. Been enjoying Donguri and XHLgladiators vids too. How do I cancel the skateboard thing, couldnt figure it out.

tbf... I had like no idea how to use breakers, I just randomly threw em out or used them for traversal
L2 is the Exceed button. Check out a guide on Exceed because it's a whole mechanic that is fairly integral to Nero:

It's like getting access to "EX" moves that are more powerful, faster and have better/stronger properties.

Punchline is something that everyone has been spending dozens of hours trying to figure out. The basics is that you can toss it out with O, when it's near you you can hold down O to get on it. Pressing [], Triangle and O will do various moves and X will jump out allowing you to have full control of your character again.

Punchline unlisted moves
https://twitter.com/Nero_DTD/status/1094290945980465152?s=09 Punchline Jet Gadget. Hold Triangle (different from tab triangle) https://twitter.com/Bags_Johnny/status/1094253969172500480 Punchline Jet Gadget. O then forward + Triangle in air https://twitter.com/Bags_Johnny/status/1094250150808162305 Punchline Jet gadget. O then Left + Triangle in air https://twitter.com/Bags_Johnny/status/1094251824654282753 Punchline Jet Gadget. O then Right/Back + Triangle in air. https://twitter.com/Bags_Johnny/status/1094252994928037888 Neutral Triangle will do nothing after O These moves can also be done off of Hold Triangle

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Devil Breakers all have a basic attack and a charged attack. Charged attacks are powerful and consume the devil breaker. Releasing the full charge on ground or in the air does a different.

All Devil Breakers regardless of type, share this basic functionality of Basic and Charged attack variants.

As for the "what does the L2 thing do."

Oct 25, 2017
canada
L2 is the Exceed button. Check out a guide on Exceed because it's a whole mechanic that is fairly integral to Nero:

It's like getting access to "EX" moves that are more powerful, faster and have better/stronger properties.

Punchline is something that everyone has been spending dozens of hours trying to figure out. The basics is that you can toss it out with O, when it's near you you can hold down O to get on it. Pressing [], Triangle and O will do various moves and X will jump out allowing you to have full control of your character again.

Punchline unlisted moves
https://twitter.com/Nero_DTD/status/1094290945980465152?s=09 Punchline Jet Gadget. Hold Triangle (different from tab triangle) https://twitter.com/Bags_Johnny/status/1094253969172500480 Punchline Jet Gadget. O then forward + Triangle in air https://twitter.com/Bags_Johnny/status/1094250150808162305 Punchline Jet gadget. O then Left + Triangle in air https://twitter.com/Bags_Johnny/status/1094251824654282753 Punchline Jet Gadget. O then Right/Back + Triangle in air. https://twitter.com/Bags_Johnny/status/1094252994928037888 Neutral Triangle will do nothing after O These moves can also be done off of Hold Triangle

Devil Breakers all have a basic attack and a charged attack. Charged attacks are powerful and consume the devil breaker. Releasing the full charge on ground or in the air does a different.

All Devil Breakers regardless of type, share this basic functionality of Basic and Charged attack variants.

As for the "what does the L2 thing do."

ohhhh nice nice!

Okay, may hope on the demo again later. This is a permanent demo right? not timed?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah permanent, not timed. And it's new game+ on demo so you get to retain red orbs and upgrades.

This guy is completely nuts, he likes making love to the right analog stick:

The game has trouble keeping up with the movement and action going on.

Skyball Paint

Nov 12, 2017
It is if you have played other action games/DMC games before. But the difficulty ramps up around mission 10/11 though as you transition into Dante and there are more powerful types of enemies, enemies in the demo were mostly fodder.

Mannnnnn do I really have to play theough half the game before I get to play as my boy again?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Finally played the demo. I'm already sick to death of Nero's one sword, one gun and no attacks just in that 20 minute slice. It's so goddamn frustrating to just have zero combat options with him.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
so do you really think it's the game that has combat limitations or your own creativity?

Exceed doesn't give me new combos, so it doesn't really make Nero more versatile. It just makes him hit harder and increases style way faster. My problem with Nero is that he just doesn't have enough variety for me. His playstyle doesn't work for me at all, and the fact they refuse to give him new weapons just exacerbates that.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
Exceed doesn't give me new combos, so it doesn't really make Nero more versatile. It just makes him hit harder and increases style way faster. My problem with Nero is that he just doesn't have enough variety for me. His playstyle doesn't work for me at all, and the fact they refuse to give him new weapons just exacerbates that.

Devil breakers are new weapons. Nero's moveset thanks to them has expanded like....a lot