• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Nero is a slow character in general. But he packs more power behind his attacks than Dante

The reason Nero is slow I think is due to the exceed system. He's more about timing than pure speed and that's where you'll find a higher dexterity demand. Each attack really should have you pressing two buttons. Y for the sword attack and LT when the sword attack lands.

It's a different thing to Bayonetta. Each input matters a ton with Nero, but with Bayo each input isn't as important as getting a combo string go as long as possible without interruption so your wicked weave is more powerful.

It's just a different design principle. Neither is better than the other but I get why people prefer speed over precision. Nero felt slow in DMC4 also.

I will say tho that when I played the demo at an event that the dodging movements and animation blending felt slower than what I was used to in DMC4. There's something going on with that stuff that I couldn't get my head around and I want to play this demo if I get hold of an Xbox to understand it better

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Does revving the sword before an attack actually do anything?

And is a lock-on necessary for half of these moves being performed? Because the game does a poor job of explaining this lol

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017

And is a lock-on necessary for half of these moves being performed? Because the game does a poor job of explaining this lol

Revved sword attacks are significantly stronger. If you look at the HUD in the top left you can see three motorcycle exhaust looking things; that's your Exceed gauge. Revving the sword will fill that gauge, and any sword attack you throw out which at least one level of your Exceed gauge full will blast orange fire out of the sword and hit a lot harder.

The real pro Nero strat is to rev your sword while you attack, though. Basically every one of Nero's sword swings has a point during which you can hit LT to instantly rev a full bar of the Exceed gauge, usually on the follow-through after you've hit the enemy, and with some good timing and a lot of practice you can rev every single attack for an insane boost in damage. Nero is an absolute beast once you learn to use him to his fullest.

Lock-on is needed for any attack that has a directional input on the left stick (Streak, High Roller, Calibre, Helm Splitter), and for using Snatch (yanking enemies towards you with your robot hand), and for dodge rolls, but everything else can be done without it.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

Reving your sword till it charges up fully (you'll know it when it 'beeps') lets you do a more powerful swing in your next move (with flames).

If you hit the rev button (LT) at the right timing during a sword swing, you'll instantly rev up your sword.

I'm pretty sure the move list in the option menu should show you what moves need lock-on and what doesn't.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Basically for lockon it boils down to lockon & "forward" & attack on the stick will make you do a distance closing melee attack. Like stinger

Lockon & "back" & attack will do attacks which lift enemies into the air. If you hold attack down you will follow them up.

Also lockon & direction & jump controls your dodge direction. You need lockon a lot of the time mostly.

Lastly, lockon and B with Nero is needed to pull you towards enemies or pull enemies towards you. If an enemy is big then the pull movement can function as a dodge. This input does the same thing whether you are grounded or airborne. There is no directional modifier for it either.

It gets more fiddly later with aerial attacks and delay offset attacks, but your bread and butter for DMC is knowing about these inputs. Worry about the rest later.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Then switch out all the arms in the levels with a coloured "charge" like the orbs.

Then you lose control over when you can used them. The current system lets you use up all four supers in a row should you wish.

We can argue alternatives to game design but Simply put try going about this with this open mind, breakers are not styles or devil arms so it's pointless to try to play them as such. They have there advantages and disadvantages and should be approached appropriately.

Breakers are power ups you find along the stage and there are enough of them that you don't have to worry about breaking one or two along the way but still have to take in to consideration how you spend them.

If you ever played BOTW I suppose that mentally with the weapons apply for this.

Omnistalgic

self-requested temp ban
Oct 27, 2017
NJ
I hate the motion blurring and chromatic aberration when you're low on health (or whatever discoloration/blur post-processing they're using). CA is physically uncomfortable for me to view, so an instant deal-breaker for me when there's never a way to disable it on consoles.

Not a fan of the depth of field blurring in the background either. This game is 4K, can we not smear it up and negate it?

Otherwise it looks great. Just wish they wouldn't force all the post-processing.

Sounds real nice though and plays good for what little is in there. PS4/PC players shouldn't feel too bad about missing the demo though.

Sticking to the PC version since I already pre-ordered the deluxe for cheap and there's usually a way to brute force the eyesore stuff off.

I'll save my expiring rewards credit for another Xbox pre-order. Too bad Capcom, you almost had me on a double-dip.
Tks buddy for the write-up.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
I went in expecting a whole lot more then I think I got. I'd take metal gear rising or Bayonetta over this every day of the week. The consumable devil breakers is just not for me.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
So played it now.

I don't know how to feel. I kinda don't like it? Shockingly.

It feels so slow and movement is so stiff and overcomplicated. The locking mechanic in combination with dodging feels bad and the whole arm mechanic is weird. Can't I switch the arms? Do I have to use them first?
I can't get any dynamic into the arm mechanic, like at all.

Maybe it's because the character can't do much at this point but it felt so limited and slow like you just can do the same 3 combos all over again and that's it, slowly hacking on the boss for the 300th time until he's dead.

I don't know, it's been a few years since I played the shit out of 1, 2, 3, 4 and DMC, but this demo here, just felt bad and aged kinda.

But it looks phenomenal and breath taking.

Last edited:

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
28hgGXg.gif

Spinky

Oct 25, 2017
London
Surprisingly, I'm not totally sure how I feel about this either. Guessing/hoping the later demos will be better.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
Easy mode feels a bit better, but I don't use that normally in DMCs. :/

Still can't beat the boss tho.

Edit:

Nope I'm done with this. Got a bit better with normal opponents but how the boss fucks almost 2 health bars of you down when he just has 10% left sucks. Looking for health while having a half forced camera perspective is also garbage.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Fuck, I'm so torn on this game. I love DMC and Dante but can't stand Nero.

Will probably wait for the reviews to see how much Dante is playable before I pick it up because if most of the game is playing as Nero, I think I'll wait for a sale or might even skip it all together.

Oct 26, 2017
I generally think of myself as an action game fan but this breaker system is too convoluted for my taste not to mention I cannot even grasp its intention . I never thought I'd see the day when breakable moves would be implemented in an action game. Having no choice over which to use is also a bizarre design

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Died the first time I played since I couldn't understand the Devil Breaker system. Did beat it the second time though and got an A (Even if it's very easy to get that in this demo). The Devil Breaker system is definitely rather odd. I'm sure it'll make more sense as it progresses and you can have more arms. But when it's low like this, I ended up just keeping the arm that give you an Air Dodge for the majority unless I needed a break away.

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
I went in expecting a whole lot more then I think I got. I'd take metal gear rising or Bayonetta over this every day of the week. The consumable devil breakers is just not for me.

An ammo based combat system isn't too much to get into . People have no better work than to complain . Comparing MGR and Bayonetta to DMCV is a massive joke . Comparing 2 button mashers to the most prolific , intuitive and stellar combat system in existence .. Lolll

It's a god damn demo with everything locked . All its got are 3 moves . People gotta hate after all .

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Even the DMC discord has been split over the breakers, if us DMC fans can't suffer some criticism over a demo then it's fairly sad.

I hope they give Nero a good suite of moves outside of the vanilla DMC4 stuff and the breakers

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
I loved the demo but I'm not really up on the Devil may cry series. I want to play some of the others to prepare for 5. What's the best way to go? The HD collection, Devil may cry 4 or DMC? Is this game ignoring the whole DMC thing?

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
Yah switching breakers is still pretty wack, and a lot of people are confused whey you can't just switch breakers on the fly. I don't understand the approach, especially when Dante has more weapons than Nero, 4 styles to switch to, and can switch between all his weapons on the fly. Just makes Nero feel so limiting in comparison.

And the thing is breakers are not as complex as styles, so I can imagine style switching being difficult because you have styles that will change based on what weapon you use (Gunslinger, and Swordmaster), etc while breakers are always a constant.

Dec 11, 2017
I beat the boss on my second try, but it was not pretty. I feel like I've completely forgotten how to fight bosses in this series.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
So played it now.

I don't know how to feel. I kinda don't like it? Shockingly.

It feels so slow and movement is so stiff and overcomplicated. The locking mechanic in combination with dodging feels bad and the whole arm mechanic is weird. Can't I switch the arms? Do I have to use them first?
I can't get any dynamic into the arm mechanic, like at all.

Maybe it's because the character can't do much at this point but it felt so limited and slow like you just can do the same 3 combos all over again and that's it, slowly hacking on the boss for the 300th time until he's dead.

I don't know, it's been a few years since I played the shit out of 1, 2, 3, 4 and DMC, but this demo here, just felt bad and aged kinda.

But it looks phenomenal and breath taking.
I dont know how you played all the DMC games before especially 4 and find this one stiff and overly conplicated. There are so many changes to make the overall combat and movement feel smoother (Check the OP).

And difficulty wise this is the easiest DMC game yet (minus DMC2) if we take the demos difficulty. Boss barely takes any health on attacks and dies really fast if you use the Breakers. Use the Gerbera super move when indoors and use the other one to plant a bomb and explode it with your gun. Use EX rev mechanic a lot, you can shred him fast.

I personally don't like the Breaker system but there were three obvious reasons for its inclusion. One is to get you to using breakers out of your comfort zone since its very much "procured on site" type feel to them. Two is that they are designed si that you dont just spam them in combat or else they break when you get hit while using them. And finally, the super moves with the Breakers are exceedingly powerful can take like a 3rd of the life a boss when used properly. Its all training for when you get to Dante and you get to USE EVERYTHING with no restrictions. The Breaker system is the training wheels and that's why they went with Nero as the starter for the game. Dante is going to be too difficult to wield for most players.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not very good at this game, it's frustrating. I'm beating most of the mobs pretty easy I'm just not doing it with any Style :(

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
It's easy to get S (not as easy as DmC, but somewhere between DMC4 and DMC3 with the latter being harder). I think they restricted the moveset, which would be very weird. The devil breaker system is all right. It leads to inconsistency during combos, but the DB themselves aren't bad.

It doesn't feel slow to me. Seems about DMC4 with no turbo mode on.

datbapple

Banned
Nov 19, 2017
An ammo based combat system isn't too much to get into . People have no better work than to complain . Comparing MGR and Bayonetta to DMCV is a massive joke . Comparing 2 button mashers to the most prolific , intuitive and stellar combat system in existence .. Lolll

It's a god damn demo with everything locked . All its got are 3 moves . People gotta hate after all .
Nah bruh, the Mgr demo was more fun then this. Lmao at bayo and mgr being button mashers tho

drewfonse

Oct 28, 2017
I live this kind of game, have played pretty much all of the character action games, and will undoubtedly buy this at launch, but I did find Dante's movements and general navigation to be a little slow and clunky. Looked really good on the 1X, but I'll admit that I barely knew what I was doing. Seemed overly complicated, but I'm sure it will click with practice.

And I didn't know how to dodge until I read it here? They explain that, in game.

Can you change the demo's difficulty?

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
I played it. Felt like DMC which means it's below stuff like Nioh, Ninja Gaiden and Bayo. Still pretty good I'd say so I'm going to get it.

Edit: meant to say Nioh, instead of Nier. Nier sucks.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is why the Breakers are limited.

https://youtu.be/eqwVCJ3ZAlI

This is on updated demo with more Breakers but even with the two Breakers available in this demo you can see how he clears packs and decimates the boss to the point of delaying or even skipping phases.

Of course stuff like this would be less powerful on DMD mode but this just shows that there is balance consideration around the power of the Breakers.

Aly

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm seeing a lot of mixed reactions about the demo. Hope the later ones come pretty soon ad are a little more open.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
From what I'm reading, final game needs Turbo mode badly.
It'd be nice. But no, it doesn't 'need' it. DMC's skill based mechanics directly associate with player speed and combat effectiveness. You aren't mash light and heavy attacks in a dial a combo way ala Bayonetta. No quick time events either.

So, when I read somebody days it pmays slow, that mostly just tells me they are still unfamiliar with certain aspects of control and design.

Firstly, landing your Just-Revs increases Neros attack and movement considerably. Thats part of the design. Its deliberate. Anybody can make a dumb action game that plays herp a derp fast. But that isn't necessarily good combat design.

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Nah bruh, the Mgr demo was more fun then this. Lmao at bayo and mgr being button mashers tho

Well , compared to Dmc , they are button mashers . The games will be compared thoroughly when this one releases , worry not .

Yes , this demo does feel slow compared to previous titles because this is not played in turbo mode . Secondly , Nero's combat is slower than Dante's. However , it has more weight and deals more damage .

All in all , this is just a demo , and not the final release (a pretty old build of the game too) .. Things will only get better .

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Not being able to switch between DBs will always be a dumb decision.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
As is not including enemy step in thr demo (which has been present in all DMC demos before even DmC). With enemy step you can show how much stuff you can do with Nero even with base moves and how high the skill ceiling can go.

This is also my opinion but I think they should have made the demo harder to s rank (like the Gamescom) and the difficulty cranked up. That way people were more pushed to use all the mechanics in the demo rather than just mash Y until the end of the demo screen. But its understandable why they did this, they dont want people to get overwhelmed in a demo and feel bad about their C/D ranks which would make them less likely to buy the actual game. People already died at the boss encounter and he is way, way easier than Dantes first boss in the same game.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
Easy mode feels a bit better, but I don't use that normally in DMCs. :/

Still can't beat the boss tho.

Got a bit better with normal opponents but how the boss fucks almost 2 health bars of you down when he just has 10% left sucks.

Get close to him. Release an overcharged Gerbera attaxk in the air (its called Petal Ray) and enjoy the W. Thats why that attack breaks the arm. Its overpowered so its done for balance purposes.

Carry 4 Gerberas with you. Use 4 Petal Ray attacks. His health should be half down before you go the courtyard. Then use the two Gerberas on that play field for additional damage. There is an overture there if you need to parry his tackle charge.

Neutral ground Gerbera (tap B) can also reflect his fireball back.