• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
An ammo based combat system isn't too much to get into . People have no better work than to complain . Comparing MGR and Bayonetta to DMCV is a massive joke . Comparing 2 button mashers to the most prolific , intuitive and stellar combat system in existence .. Lolll

It's a god damn demo with everything locked . All its got are 3 moves . People gotta hate after all .
They're great character action games, there's no joke comparing them. What's with the attitude?

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
Get close to him. Release an overcharged Gerbera attaxk in the air (its called Petal Ray) and enjoy the W. Thats why that attack breaks the arm. Its overpowered so its done for balance purposes.

Carry 4 Gerberas with you. Use 4 Petal Ray attacks. His health should be half down before you go the courtyard. Then use the two Gerberas on that play field for additional damage. There is an overture there if you need to parry his tackle charge.

Neutral ground Gerbera (tap B) can also reflect his fireball back.

Don't waste your time on him bro. If this boss was that difficult for him , then Dmc is not his cup of tea .

taepoppuri

Oct 29, 2017
I loved the demo but I'm not really up on the Devil may cry series. I want to play some of the others to prepare for 5. What's the best way to go? The HD collection, Devil may cry 4 or DMC? Is this game ignoring the whole DMC thing?

Best to play DMC4SE. For catching up the story and get a hang of the control.

MBS

Oct 25, 2017
I hope DMC5 doesn't suck

Man that would be such a bummer after 11 years ☹️

It won't suck ffs. People overreacting over an old build of a really limiting demo, which only allows you to play with the most barebone Nero moveset over the easiest lesser demons. Same situation as the DMC4 Nero demo (for people not remembering how restrictive that demo also was combat-wise).

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
It won't suck ffs. People overreacting over an old build of a really limiting demo, which only allows you to play with the most barebone Nero moveset over the easiest lesser demons. Same situation as the DMC4 Nero demo (for people not remembering how restrictive that demo also was combat-wise).
I was thinking this earlier actually, how people didn't take to Nero in the demo cause of the piddling shooter and OP grab.

I guess what I really mean tho is I hope the game finds an audience outside the die-hards. It needs it.

Also I want Itsuno to have big bucks behind him for Dragons Dogma 2

Oct 25, 2017
Watched a stream of the demo, and the music is REALLY good. It wasn't noticeable in the off screen footage we had before, but damn, they did a great job with the atmosphere, in general.

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Wish I still had my Xbone for this, had to sell it a year ago due to rough times and just haven't gone and bought another yet.

Game looks fantastic, I do still dislike the Breaker system and wish they were permanent, just Nero's version of Devil Arms.

They could get around the supers on the Breakers being OP with a bit of work, I think. For example, maybe by making them have a cooldown after the super that's reduced by you fighting normally and perhaps reduces faster with higher style ranks (not a timer, so it promotes going in and styling on people).

Still buying day one though, the Breakers aren't enough to put me off playing as Nero. He's my boy.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
I liked the demo, but the chromatic aberration is just way too much

I really hope they put in an option to turn it off, but for some reason, they always refuse to do so on consoles, as if it's going to completely confuse somebody.
I feel like the game is probably set already, though. My pre-order on Xbox depends on this, so I hope they can adress it if people tweet their feedback.

I really hate when games go out of their way to make the viewing experience uncomfortable when you're low on life, especially in a third -person action game. Yeah, I get it, my character is low on health. You can make it known with shitting up the whole screen into a double image rainbow mess that hurts to watch. Tint the screen red or put some effects on the screen edges, but chromatic aberration is literally uncomfortable to focus on because of the double image.

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I played this demo at the EGX and didn't really feel it. Maybe DMC is not my thing. It feels like the weapons lack weight unlike in, say, Metal Gear Rising.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Dunno how anybody can complain about thia demo. All of the other games are just as barebones for the first few levels when you only have the starting move set. Hell I'd say DMC3, the best one imo, doesn't get amazing until after you've beaten the game and unlocked all of the moves, weapons and style upgrades.

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I loved the demo but I'm not really up on the Devil may cry series. I want to play some of the others to prepare for 5. What's the best way to go? The HD collection, Devil may cry 4 or DMC? Is this game ignoring the whole DMC thing?
I'd recommend playing 1, 3 and 4, they are great games, especially 3 which is one of the best character action games ever.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
I dont know how you played all the DMC games before especially 4 and find this one stiff and overly conplicated. There are so many changes to make the overall combat and movement feel smoother (Check the OP).

And difficulty wise this is the easiest DMC game yet (minus DMC2) if we take the demos difficulty. Boss barely takes any health on attacks and dies really fast if you use the Breakers. Use the Gerbera super move when indoors and use the other one to plant a bomb and explode it with your gun. Use EX rev mechanic a lot, you can shred him fast.

I personally don't like the Breaker system but there were three obvious reasons for its inclusion. One is to get you to using breakers out of your comfort zone since its very much "procured on site" type feel to them. Two is that they are designed si that you dont just spam them in combat or else they break when you get hit while using them. And finally, the super moves with the Breakers are exceedingly powerful can take like a 3rd of the life a boss when used properly. Its all training for when you get to Dante and you get to USE EVERYTHING with no restrictions. The Breaker system is the training wheels and that's why they went with Nero as the starter for the game. Dante is going to be too difficult to wield for most players.

Get close to him. Release an overcharged Gerbera attaxk in the air (its called Petal Ray) and enjoy the W. Thats why that attack breaks the arm. Its overpowered so its done for balance purposes.

Carry 4 Gerberas with you. Use 4 Petal Ray attacks. His health should be half down before you go the courtyard. Then use the two Gerberas on that play field for additional damage. There is an overture there if you need to parry his tackle charge.

Neutral ground Gerbera (tap B) can also reflect his fireball back.

Thanks guys, will look into it later again.
Loved the normal fights so far after a few tries (still only in easy mode) and loved the dynamic music and the chorus of Devil Trigger that only sets in on A, really pumping, but I definitely need to go deeper into the arm mechanics and stuff.

BeaconofTruth

Dec 30, 2017
A little annoyed that we can't shuffle or jump cancel in this demo still, but I've gone it through a bunch now. Fuck I need dmc5 in my life yesterday.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
This demo looks sooooo good on the X. Everything about its presentation screams top quality, from the character and environmental detail to the insanely nuanced animations. Only Platinum can rival this animation quality and the subtle enhancements that make each attack feel powerful.

The individual slashes in Nero's standard combo feel so sharp and strong now, with the little pause in the final slash and the way he throws his body weight into the blows. And that's one example in a demo full of them. Top tier design right here.

An ammo based combat system isn't too much to get into . People have no better work than to complain . Comparing MGR and Bayonetta to DMCV is a massive joke . Comparing 2 button mashers to the most prolific , intuitive and stellar combat system in existence .. Lolll

It's a god damn demo with everything locked . All its got are 3 moves . People gotta hate after all .
You think Bayonetta is a button masher? What the actual fuck, lmao. Educate yourself.

Last edited:

RazMaTaz

Nov 29, 2017
So first impressions
- game looks amazing
- runs like butter
- Animations are silky smooth

The game does feel a little slow - and will always be my gripe with Capcom and DMC games. Turbo mode always seems like an after thought, and therefore when going from DMC3SE to DMC4, it felt slow, and then from DMC4SE to DmC, it felt slow. We are now in that same predicament where the game feels a little slower, but im still so glad i get to play a new DMC game after 10 freaking years!

The idea of not being able to switch the devil breakers is very annoying. If has to be destroyed in order to reel to the next breaker. Should have been an on the fly switch - why limit it?

Aside from this - cant wait to kick ass in a new DMC game

Suede

Gotham's Finest
Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I can't wait to see this in a higher resolution, I can see the game looks good, but it's hidden behind the low resolution of the base Xbox One. Which I'm guessing is 900p.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Not being able to switch between DBs will always be a dumb decision.
Yep it's damned annoying and I hope the full game lets you unlock the option to switch freely without having to use Super Nero or something.

Well , compared to Dmc , they are button mashers . The games will be compared thoroughly when this one releases , worry not .
Only a true moron would button mash in either of those games, Bayonetta especially, when the combat systems are so deep. You're ridiculous.

Don't waste your time on him bro. If this boss was that difficult for him , then Dmc is not his cup of tea .
God damn, so rude to new players looking for tips. I'm sure you were a Donguri-tier action genius when you first got into the DMC series.

Last edited:

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
My fucking goodness, you can rev during the damn air taunt! I need to read the OP once I'm done playing. Crazy shit going on here,

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
No damage, NO BREAKERS, S rank run:

https://youtu.be/cW9KQGY8W4U

That finishing blow on Goliath though..

With Breakers (S rank on all categories(:

https://youtu.be/uuuGj2PlqUE
Damn that first video was so stylish. You can do a lot even with such minimal combat options.

His post is 100% rude but the person who they commented on that said he played the other games. Just a correction not excusing anything.
Lol, my mistake. Still, I think it's wrong to shame people for struggling with a game that's supposed to be challenging. Especially on a giant boss with erratic attacks and big hitboxes. Telling someone DMC isn't for them because a boss gave them trouble is such gross elitism. The fanbase needs less of that kind of attitude.

Slim

Banned
Sep 24, 2018
I hope they release a demo with Dante. I love Nero, but his combat doesn't have the same depth as Dante.

Oct 25, 2017
So first impressions
- game looks amazing
- runs like butter
- Animations are silky smooth

The game does feel a little slow - and will always be my gripe with Capcom and DMC games. Turbo mode always seems like an after thought, and therefore when going from DMC3SE to DMC4, it felt slow, and then from DMC4SE to DmC, it felt slow. We are now in that same predicament where the game feels a little slower, but im still so glad i get to play a new DMC game after 10 freaking years!

The idea of not being able to switch the devil breakers is very annoying. If has to be destroyed in order to reel to the next breaker. Should have been an on the fly switch - why limit it?

Aside from this - cant wait to kick ass in a new DMC game
IIRC some of the showfloor demos already had Turbo Mode in the menus, though you couldn't activate it. So at least this time we won't have to wait.

SunhiLegend

The Legend Continues
Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
IIRC some of the showfloor demos already had Turbo Mode in the menus, though you couldn't activate it. So at least this time we won't have to wait.

Oh, I hadn't heard about this. I don't mind the standard game speed in 5 since I'm still getting used to the Breakers and the new charge shot mechanic, but if we get Turbo at launch I'd be all over it.

Beautiful (I can't stop looking at Nero's new cheekbones in the close up, though :P)

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
I like Gerbera a lot. Using it for extensive air combos makes it a strong companion to your regular weapons. Overture seems useless unless your getting swarmed and need enemies to back away.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Just watched some footage, and damn! I had no idea this was going to run at 60fps. Not only that, DMC5 looks amazing. My hype level has been amplified.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I like Gerbera a lot. Using it for extensive air combos makes it a strong companion to your regular weapons. Overture seems useless unless your getting swarmed and need enemies to back away.

Overture does a ton of damage and the lightning blast acts as a counter against certain attacks

For example when Goliath does his rush attack in the second phase you can counter it.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
One of the tooltips says you can plant up to three Overture bombs at once. Can you get multiple bombs from one use of Break Age, or do you have to break three Overtures to do that?