• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif
Man this taunt is sick...

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm really curious how V plays, personally. From the videos, it looks like he just hangs out while his demons do the work. I wonder how that works.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Man this was a blast. Never been a fan of DMCs before. The animations are stellar.

Dec 6, 2017
US
So damn jealous of you guys and gals playing this right now.

Truly looks fantastic and some of your gameplay videos ready rule, keep it up.

Rommaz

Nov 27, 2017
Kitwe, Zambia.
God the gameplay is so good. Why is the demo so damn short!? Lol.

Really liking Gerbera right now. Adjusting to the new charge shot and the new input for that aerial slam attack will take some time though.

Noob Pilot

Jun 10, 2018
I am loving these new changes OP! Almost all of my issues with DMC have been fixed!! Most of which involved dodging and air control.

Unfortunately I don't have an XB1 but this is changing my mind about a purchase.

All that's left is the whole microtransactions thingymabob. Hopefully it's hasn't affected gameplay at all.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
When I played the TGS build on an X recently the framerate seemed rock solid. Maybe it is this old build which is janky frame wise

If there was any drops I can only imagine it was during the Goliath fight when the floor breaks.

Another user on here played the same demo as I did, @DevilsNeverCry I think is the username

Gamer17

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
When I played the TGS build on an X recently the framerate seemed rock solid. Maybe it is this old build which is janky frame wise

If there was any drops I can only imagine it was during the Goliath fight when the floor breaks.

Another user on here played the same demo as I did, @DevilsNeverCry I think is the username
Maybe this is an old built and next demo that releasing on both ps4 and xb1(confirmed by Capcom) is newer version.hopefully frame rate there is ironed out

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah that definitely wasn't my experience with the TGS demo, I would have noticed it and being driven mad by that kind of performance.

Or maybe I had too many cocktails at the event itself to notice 🤔

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia

They really need to lock the framerate in cutscenes to 30. Also confirms the game is using checkerboard rendering to get to 4K.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
How do I switch equipment? Looks like I have more than one devil breaker, blue and green.
You can't really. You just cycle through them

What you can do is deliberately break one with lb. Or you can "spend" one by using a charged up attack by holding B.

It's a weird system. They are sort of supposed to be treated as just power ups I think.

I'm not fond of it really

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
How do I switch equipment? Looks like I have more than one devil breaker, blue and green.

Breakers are consumable items; in order to switch between them you have to break them permanently. There are three ways to do this:

1. Hold the B button to do a super attack (which differs depending whether you're in the air or on the ground)
2. Get hit by an enemy while you're using a Breaker. The Breaker takes the hit for you but breaks in the process
3. Hit L1 to manually sever the arm. This can get you out of attacks (if you're being combo'd by enemies or you get sucked into the boss' stomach)

There are loads more to pick up in the environment, so you don't have to worry too much about breaking them.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
You can't change them you can just break them or get more (if you don't have 4 already). So the ways to change them are:

Break them - LB
Get hit during normal attack with them - Pressing B + getting hit
Doing a powerful charged attack - Holding B
Picking up a new one (if you don't already have 4)

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
That's interesting. Digital Foundry and NXGamer both seem to think it's native 4K, albeit with some post-processing/temporal AA that make it look a little soft.
VGTech has the best track record out of the three for picking up on checkerboard and dynamic resolutions. If they think it should checkerboard it most likely is. I'd be surprised if it wasn't, not sure how else it'd get to 4K/60 with these visuals. Every other game this visually outstanding at 4K/60 is using checkerboard/reconstruction that I can think of.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah the Nero demo i played was the TGS version. Unfortunately im not sure whether or not it was on an Xbox One or an Xbox One X as the console was locked behind a cabinet type thing. From what i remember though the performance seemed smoother than this demo. Dont remember any sudden drops or anything ,even when Goliath broke the floor or i slammed him into the tower.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why is the target lock function assigned to RB? This feels awkward as hell to me. Wasn't it always the lower trigger in the PS2 games?

I am not really a fan of the weird pulled in camera that is sort of over-the-shoulder but not quite. I wish it was a more pulled-out cinematic camera all the time.

Last edited:

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Yeah the Nero demo i played was the TGS version. Unfortunately im not sure whether or not it was on an Xbox One or an Xbox One X as the console was locked behind a cabinet type thing. From what i remember though the performance seemed smoother than this demo. Dont remember any sudden drops or anything ,even when Goliath broke the floor or i slammed him into the tower.
On twitter they said it was X's I think.

It's odd that they push out a unoptimal build when we both played a much better one. Almost seems like someone made a mistake somewhere.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Why is the target lock function assigned to RB? This feels awkward as hell to me. Wasn't it always the lower trigger in the PS2 games?

I am not really a fan of the weird pull0ed in camera that is sort of over-the-shoulder but not quite. I wish it was a more pulled-out cinematic camera all the time.
You can change the camera distance in the options. I haven't tried it yet though.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017

I am not really a fan of the weird pulled in camera that is sort of over-the-shoulder but not quite. I wish it was a more pulled-out cinematic camera all the time.
It was always R1, a hold over from it's RE roots. It feels weird with an xbox controller though, the bumpers are awkward buttons to hold. I'll be playing on PC w a DS4 for sure.

Border

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It was always R1, a hold over from it's RE roots. It feels weird with an xbox controller though, the bumpers are awkward buttons to hold. I'll be playing on PC w a DS4 for sure.
What gets me is that they aren't even using the R-trigger. They could easily assign lock-on to both RB and RT. It shouldn't have taken more than a few minutes to figure out that holding down RB for extended periods is kind of uncomfortable.

Does the XB1 have system-level button remapping, as the PS4 does?

Deleted member 25108

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
What gets me is that they aren't even using the R-trigger. They could easily assign lock-on to both RB and RT. It shouldn't have taken more than a few minutes to figure out that holding down RB for extended periods is kind of uncomfortable.

You don't need system wide mapping (although the Xbox supports it.) You can remap any button in the game settings

J 0 E

Oct 27, 2017
How to reload Blue Rose (gun) without shooting? I tried holding X but Nero shoots when I release

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
Nero plays incredibly, and you get a good taste of what's to come, but this demo really blows. Yup, those gifs in the OP show all the enemies they removed, from various sections of this offering. Playing it overly safe, Capcom.

All I had to work with was a base Xbox One, and it's gonna be a rough time on base consoles.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

It's always been R1. Controls were fully customizable on DMC4 though so I expect the same here.

RT/R2 is used by Dante to change weapons. Pretty much all buttons are taken.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just got done with the demo and, damn, it's really weird going to this when the only 'character action' games I've played are Bayonetta 1 and 2. Not being able to dodge with a single button and the much slower weapons (alongside fewer combos) are really weird. Not sure whether I like it, but I do have DMC1-4 so I guess I should play those first before jumping into 5.

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Man when I double tap the Xbox button to take a screenshot it skips the cutscene. Hope it's not like that in the full game.

Otherwise it's pretty fun. I've always like the dodge more in Bayonetta but it's fine here. Game is a looker too.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
On twitter they said it was X's I think.

It's odd that they push out a unoptimal build when we both played a much better one. Almost seems like someone made a mistake somewhere.
Its part of the reason i'm not fussed on playing this demo. Not only was the one we played better optimised but it had more features like arms , jump cancelling etc.

This is a capcpom move

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
Nero's aerial Red Queen surf is my favorite DMC taunt in the entire series. Holy shit, it feel so good to pull off.

2shd

Oct 25, 2017
They really need to lock the framerate in cutscenes to 30. Also confirms the game is using checkerboard rendering to get to 4K.

Nah, they shouldn't lock cutscenes to 30. They need to run the full 60 on future hardware iterations. No need to hamstring them now near the tail end of this gen.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas

Press the start button. Both of your concerns can be addressed. Fully custom controls. And tons of camera options for you to play around with.

During game play x average fps is 55 with lowest around 45 frames per second

The average framerate during gameplay is much higher than 55. Probably more closer to 58 or 59.

Recall that NXGamer includes average cutscene framerate in the total average framerate count, which brings it down.

Confident things will improve nonetheless. It's an old build. And secondly, they have head room. NXgamer suggest they implement a dynamic resolution system worst case scenario.

wondermagenta

Oct 27, 2017
Cologne
I put up some random runs on my channel last night. Xbox One X version captured at 1080p60. I wanna condense the video and record my thoughts over it soon though Smash is killing my productivity lol.