• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

weebro

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
I hope DMC5 doesn't suck

Man that would be such a bummer after 11 years ☹️

Pretty much 0% chance of happening.

Itsuno has been making great games for decades and this time he got a big budget + 4 years dev time to work with. Not to mention he's mentioned time and time again he's making this not just for fans but also the best game he's ever made.

Based on everything we've seen I believe him.

Oct 25, 2017
Played through it once last night. Game's graphics are fucking crazy. Gameplay felt like dmc. It's good butI wish there were more enemies. As soon as I was getting into my groove the encounters would be over. I like the arms having diff fucntions rather than just buster but nero still feels a bit restrictive (i'm also super rusty and not having enemy step was messing me up) Got an A. Might shoot for a better grade.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I don't have access to the demo but I find the complaints about the speed really odd. The game looks like it runs fine to me, but then again I play about as much normal mode as I do turbo in the older games. The speed increase never really changed things that much, imo. It's kinda of nice to have, but it makes exceeds harder.

Also, I guess I shouldn't be surprised at people complaining about things that can be altered in the options menu but it still shocks me how so many people just dive right in without at least looking through the options.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I don't have access to the demo but I find the complaints about the speed really odd. The game looks like it runs fine to me, but then again I play about as much normal mode as I do turbo in the older games. The speed increase never really changed things that much, imo. It's kinda of nice to have, but it makes exceeds harder.

Also, I guess I shouldn't be surprised at people complaining about things that can be altered in the options menu but it still shocks me how so many people just dive right in without at least looking through the options.

It's because Platinum's games runs at a faster pacing so people are thrown off by how relatively 'grounded' DMC is. That, or they see combo videos running at turbo mode.

I think people just have the misconception that DMC is about going 100mph spam all kinds of attacks when in reality DMC is all about precision.

That being said, Nero has snatch, that alone makes it easy to keep the pace.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
How to reload Blue Rose (gun) without shooting? I tried holding X but Nero shoots when I release

I wondered this, too, but I couldn't find a way; I think you just have to hold the button until you want to shoot. I've remapped Shoot to the Right Trigger so I can keep it held, same as DMC4, but at least this time around it doesn't take so long to charge and you still have two more shots after the first. In DMC4 you basically have to hold the trigger down for like 99% of your Nero playthrough :P

Sou Da

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wondered this, too, but I couldn't find a way; I think you just have to hold the button until you want to shoot. I've remapped Shoot to the Right Trigger so I can keep it held, same as DMC4, but at least this time around it doesn't take so long to charge and you still have two more shots after the first. In DMC4 you basically have to hold the trigger down for like 99% of your Nero playthrough :P
I'm pretty sure you don't have to do this anymore.

Seyavesh

Oct 25, 2017
How to reload Blue Rose (gun) without shooting? I tried holding X but Nero shoots when I release

do a move you can't cancel with gunshot so you can release without shooting
easy one is snatch (lockon+buster) or air taunt

you can also do it off split, streak, calibur, buster moves

most things that are "hard commit" type moves

oh i guess i should show off my combo

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

You have to do an animation that can't be canceled into a gunshot. I think something like Streak should work if not then you'll have to experiment

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure you don't have to do this anymore.
do a move you can't cancel with gunshot so you can release without shooting
easy one is snatch (lockon+buster) or air taunt
You have to do an animation that can't be canceled into a gunshot. I think something like Streak should work if not then you'll have to experiment

I stand corrected! Thanks, I'll try this out on my next run through the demo.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Is it too early to declare DMCV a 10/10?

I wish I could say no, but it is. If the story isn't on par with DMC3 at least, then yeah, its not a 10/10. Gameplay is awesome, but it needs some fixing.

Example, here are my suggestions for gameplay:

General:
1. Allow us to use multiple buttons for the same input. Ex: I wish I could use Devil Breaker in 2 buttons or Revving in 2 buttons.
2. Add Taunt to the Control Mapping, limiting Taunt to be the select button is not helpful, specially for Nero. Since he has a lot of useful ways to use Taunt.

Nero:
1. Have Wire Snatch and Devil Breaker as 2 different buttons.
I already got used to release Lock-on to use the Devil Breaker moves. But when I want to lock on again to the same enemy to grab him, it will lock on to another enemy instead 90% of the time and that is frustrating. So having the option would be nice.
2. Make Taunt a option in Control Mapping, I want to use X as taunt for Nero.
3. Allow us to COLOR UP (charged bullets) to not be used after loading the full revolver. Ex: Hold Gun to load, press again to shoot.
I say this, because when Nero uses his Gun loading taunt, you get the revolver reloaded and you aren't in need to hold the button at all. So you have 3 charged shots without the need to hold GUN all the time and shot by mistake if you release it.

Dante:
1. Give us a Weapons Wheel by Holding Devils Arm/Gun + Direction input on Right Stick or D-pad your choice.
This will be damn helpful for having access to all 8 (?) Devil Arms and switch between them at will. Yes if you tap the Devils Arm or Gun Switch button, you will go to the next Arm/Gun, but if you hold it and press a direction, you will select the next weapon you really want.
2. Give us a STYLE button ala Angel/Demon buttons from DmC
Yes, I love seen Dante change styles and do poses by pressing the D-pad directions, that looks awesome and it can stay. But add a Style button, that would make everything easier. Ex: Style button + Attack = Swordmaster Attack, Style Button + Gun = Gunslinger Attack, etc
3. And yes, make Taunt a mappable button for him too.

Those are my suggestions for at least the 2 characters that I know how they play. I think this will be easier for newcommers and help to have more control. Yes I know pro combo players have a way to do things already, but this might help them in a way.

Oct 25, 2017
Las Vegas
So at the start of this video - I was like, yeah dude, everyone knows about the hidden stash on the horse statue. And then he kept going and I was like, oh shiiii ---

MrBS

Oct 27, 2017
I waited in line at PAX for almost two hours to play this demo. This time around my back didn't get wrecked from standing in place for a couple hours so it was a better experience.

Roll on release!

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
The demo was fantastic but I was kinda confused that you can't switch between devil breakers. Especially if you have more than 2 it would be really annoying to have to break multiple just to switch to one that is better for a certain fight.

I'm hoping I'm wrong that breaking isn't the only way to swap.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The demo was fantastic but I was kinda confused that you can't switch between devil breakers. Especially if you have more than 2 it would be really annoying to have to break multiple just to switch to one that is better for a certain fight.

I'm hoping I'm wrong that breaking isn't the only way to swap.

As far as we know at this point, that's how Itsuno intends for the system to work. There's still a chance there'll be some unlockable extra that allows you to do it in the full game (akin to the traditional Super Dante unlockable costume that gives you unlimited DT), but as far as the story missions go they want you to be picking them up and using them as you find them.

Armoredgoomba

Jun 17, 2018
As far as we know at this point, that's how Itsuno intends for the system to work. There's still a chance there'll be some unlockable extra that allows you to do it in the full game (akin to the traditional Super Dante unlockable costume that gives you unlimited DT), but as far as the story missions go they want you to be picking them up and using them as you find them.
I suppose as long as there's always one around to pick-up should you need it that will be fine for situational stuff

Seems weird to me but I trust Itsuno.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I suppose as long as there's always one around the pick-up should you need it that will be fine for situational stuff

Seems weird to me but I trust Itsuno.

I think it works OK in the demo, at least. When you're going through the level for the dozenth time and you know exactly what's coming up you can prepare exactly the loadout you want for the specific challenges you're up against.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes in the full game, though, where you've got 8+ different types of Breakers to choose from and you're kind of at the mercy of how they spawn in the level ahead of you. You can look at it as encouraging the player to step outside their comfort zone and stop relying on the same moves over and over, which I think is a good idea, but on the other hand you could also see it as forcing players to use tools they don't like because there's nothing else available to them. I guess it's a fine line to tread.

direct_quote

Oct 25, 2017
My hope in the final game is that Nero will be able to use each direction on the d-pad for 4 devil breakers. And you would use the d-pad to switch between devil breaker loadouts. This would make picking them up feel less random and allow you to access your favorite devil breaker while still having the breaker mechanic...

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I think it works OK in the demo, at least. When you're going through the level for the dozenth time and you know exactly what's coming up you can prepare exactly the loadout you want for the specific challenges you're up against.

It'll be interesting to see how it goes in the full game, though, where you've got 8+ different types of Breakers to choose from and you're kind of at the mercy of how they spawn in the level ahead of you. You can look at it as encouraging the player to step outside their comfort zone and stop relying on the same moves over and over, which I think is a good idea, but on the other hand you could also see it as forcing players to use tools they don't like because there's nothing else available to them. I guess it's a fine line to tread.

See, the way Itsuno says it makes me think once you set you Breaker loadout, Nico would drop only the Breaker you have chosen

So you can set to drop only Gerbera if you want. But either way the idea is to commit to a choice and roll with it

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I tried the demo once. Not familiar with these games much, last time I played DMC was 4 like a decade ago. I died near the end of the boss, which put me back to the start of the demo. Lmao fuck that tbh. Not into doing everything all over again for now so I'll try again another time.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I don' t know. I thought the game looked fantastic, but I am not into the arm system and the game feels a bit slow to me.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
I can't stop playing this damn demo. I'm never going to be the best DMC player, but I finally feel like I'm getting a handle on the Breakers and when to pop a Break Age, and my Exceed-ing is... well, about as good as it ever was in DMC4, so I can at least get the basic combos most of the time.

I've definitely gotta learn how to build some more Style points, though. I can get through fights without taking damage, and reach SSS most of the time, but it seems like you have to be able to reach SSS and stay there for a while to hit the targets for an overall S rank on the level. Oh well, another few dozen playthroughs :P

Yeezus

Nov 27, 2017
my dodges keep rolling into damage when I aim away

I couldn't even get the dodges off properly half the time. I know I'm probably doing something wrong, sometimes I'd roll as expected and other times I'd just jump or something. Will need to experiment a bit more.

Having said all that, I've been having fun with the devil bringer--more than I expected.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't even get the dodges off properly half the time. I know I'm probably doing something wrong, sometimes I'd roll as expected and other times I'd just jump or something. Will need to experiment a bit more.

Having said all that, I've been having fun with the devil bringer--more than I expected.

Roll is really not the best way to dodge in DMC5 or in the series in general, you can use Jump initial invisibility frames, Gerberus side dashes, directional attacks, etc. Usually Roll is ok, but not the best way to avoid damage in DMC for a reason. DmC did the dodge better.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017

If you hold lock on you'll roll.

Roll is really not the best way to dodge in DMC5 or in the series in general, you can use Jump initial invisibility frames, Gerberus side dashes, directional attacks, etc. Usually Roll is ok, but not the best way to avoid damage in DMC for a reason. DmC did the dodge better.

Rolling in 5 pivots you around the target you're facing so you will always be facing it. Depends on the attacks you might not want to jump on Goliath's upward swing because it would clip you.

matrix-cat

Oct 27, 2017
The taunt where Nero says "GUESS WHO'S GETTIN' THEIR ASS KICKED" and then starts automatically walking forward is my favourite thing in this whole demo.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Ooh, didn't know there was a thread. I can only play every once in a while since I don't have an Xbox and have to use the one we have at the office, lol. Played twice so far, still not used to the Xbox controller but it's still damn fun and I'm excited to play some more when I can. Kinda glad to know my issue with the Blue Rose isn't just happening to me, but also disappointed that that's how it is. The new Blue Rose is an awesome upgrade, but this little road bump is a tiny bit annoying. Hope they change it in the final game. If not, well, at least the workarounds aren't difficult so I should still be able to manage.

Any idea what difficulty the demo is on? I find the enemies die way too quickly at times, so I'm hoping it's actually on easy.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Ooh, didn't know there was a thread. I can only play every once in a while since I don't have an Xbox and have to use the one we have at the office, lol. Played twice so far, still not used to the Xbox controller but it's still damn fun and I'm excited to play some more when I can. Kinda glad to know my issue with the Blue Rose isn't just happening to me, but also disappointed that that's how it is. The new Blue Rose is an awesome upgrade, but this little road bump is a tiny bit annoying. Hope they change it in the final game. If not, well, at least the workarounds aren't difficult so I should still be able to manage.

Any idea what difficulty the demo is on? I find the enemies die way too quickly at times, so I'm hoping it's actually on easy.

Pretty sure it's just on normal simply because the boss battle with the Goliath can be tough if you aren't on your game (could be wrong though). It's just that that opening area the enemies are weak to get you up to speed with the mechanics.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
I can't stop playing this damn demo. I'm never going to be the best DMC player, but I finally feel like I'm getting a handle on the Breakers and when to pop a Break Age, and my Exceed-ing is... well, about as good as it ever was in DMC4, so I can at least get the basic combos most of the time.

I've definitely gotta learn how to build some more Style points, though. I can get through fights without taking damage, and reach SSS most of the time, but it seems like you have to be able to reach SSS and stay there for a while to hit the targets for an overall S rank on the level. Oh well, another few dozen playthroughs :P

Nah, its not you. The game has a different way to give you an S rank compared to other DMC games. At the beginning I was getting every Orb and every enemy I could, got SSS in the big fights and maybe 1 or 2 hits on the boss. But I would get an A.

Then I decided to just make a quick run, so I just went for the 2 big fights, didn't go for the orbs and fought the boss, took my sweet time with him, since I was testing stuff. And got a S in the end, I thought it was weird, so I try it again, just went for the 2 big fights and the boss, no Orb hunting, and I got an S again and again.

So it seems S its more related to beating the stage faster, at least on the demo.

XrossExam

Nov 1, 2017
Nah, its not you. The game has a different way to give you an S rank compared to other DMC games. At the beginning I was getting every Orb and every enemy I could, got SSS in the big fights and maybe 1 or 2 hits on the boss. But I would get an A.

Then I decided to just make a quick run, so I just went for the 2 big fights, didn't go for the orbs and fought the boss, took my sweet time with him, since I was testing stuff. And got a S in the end, I thought it was weird, so I try it again, just went for the 2 big fights and the boss, no Orb hunting, and I got an S again and again.

So it seems S its more related to beating the stage faster, at least on the demo.

If you get Speed Clear S you get 1000 orbs so maybe that's a big reason why S is easier to get when you speedrun the demo. I think you only get 500 orbs if you get Speed Clear A.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Hah, imagine having the patience and skill to do that everytime. Most times I even forget that Exceed is a thing.
Its a major and core component of Neros combat. You are decreasing your damage, general speed, combo ability, style gain and movelist if you dont even attempt to utilize it. In DMC5 even if you miss the timing you at least get a 3rd of a bar and the timing overall is more lenient.

In all honestly it's not THAT hard once you start trying to doing it. The regular EX was always fine to do but it's the MAX ACT Exceed that was very difficult (just frame timing). We'll see how hard that is but it's not available in the demo as the bar only goes up to 2 bars and you can't Max Act to get 2 bars in the demo either.

DarKaoZ

Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one who loves walking all badass against Goliath?

Also does the gerberus dodge in the end counts as a Parry? That is why I'm confused if its a Parry or not, I don't hear the typical Parry sound.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Hope more people are getting into the demo. It looks great from everything I've seen, besides the lack of enemy step. Enemy Step was made really tricky in DMC4 and I never got into using it outside of jump cancelling out of Caliber as Nero. Wish I had the demo to get a better feel for it myself but at least I have plenty of footage to watch.

This is how you Devil May Cry:

https://youtu.be/Z5SqD4edaGI

And yes he is playing the same demo as you. SSS on every encounter, hitting all the Exceed timings.
Hah, imagine having the patience and skill to do that everytime. Most times I even forget that Exceed is a thing.

Yeah, that's some good solid play. Getting that many exceeds is the impressive part to me but apparently the timing for exceeds is easier than in 4? Anyone know how much more lenient? Exceeds were something I remember having trouble with when I first played DMC4. It took a couple playthrough before I really got the hang of it and when Special Edition came out I was at least getting normal exceeds on the majority of my hits. Makes Nero a lot more fun to use.

Well that partially explains your love for DmC at least lol.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Honestly even if you only hit it 10% of the exceeds it's a major enhancement to his gameplay.

Also in this one the manual exceed is actually useful.

In that sense the auto option is good to teach beginner players what Nero's gameplay looks like when you use the system.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly even if you only hit it 10% of the exceeds it's a major enhancement to his gameplay.

Also in this one the manual exceed is actually useful.

In that sense the auto option is good to teach beginner players what Nero's gameplay looks like when you use the system.
I greatly appreciated being able to rev up the blade while running.
Its a major and core component of Neros combat. You are decreasing your damage, general speed, combo ability, style gain and movelist if you dont even attempt to utilize it. In DMC5 even if you miss the timing you at least get a 3rd of a bar and the timing overall is more lenient.

In all honestly it's not THAT hard once you start trying to doing it. The regular EX was always fine to do but it's the MAX ACT Exceed that was very difficult (just frame timing). We'll see how hard that is but it's not available in the demo as the bar only goes up to 2 bars and you can't Max Act to get 2 bars in the demo either.
I suppose once the game comes out I can give it another try, but playing the demo I could only consistently do that for like the first strike of his combo.