• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Would make perfect sense since this is supposed to be the end of the "Sons of Sparda" saga.
Is it?

That leaked "page"(?) states it is, but all the PR stuff just says it's "the next chapter".

Either way...I definitely hope it's after 2 for more reasons than one. First off, it's just been time to move things along and stop avoiding that part of the timeline. Secondly, it means if we get a "Ladies' Night" DLC with all the girls being added back in as playable, Lucia can join Trish and Lady at long last!

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Is it?

That leaked "page"(?) states it is, but all the PR stuff just says it's "the next chapter".

Either way...I definitely hope it's after 2 for more reasons than one. First off, it's just been time to move things along and stop avoiding that part of the timeline. Secondly, it means if we get a "Ladies' Night" DLC with all the girls being added back in as playable, Lucia can join Trish and Lady at long last!
Ah, you're right. My bad. It says "the stage is now set for the latest chapter of the "Sons of Sparda" saga" on the capcom-unity blog post, so that at least means it's the latest in the timeline?

Last edited:

Deleted member 26293

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I definitely remember reading a press release yesterday where it was stated that this is the conclusion of the Sons of Sparda saga, they seem to have changed their mind?

This one:

Now, 10 years since the last iteration, Devil May Cry® 4, Director Hideaki Itsuno and the core team have reunited to conclude the long awaited Sons of Sparda saga.

http://digitalchumps.com/2018/06/10/dmc-5-announced/

Quacktion

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Yo Dante looks old and they mention in the story blurb that he went missing, does that mean we moving past DMC 2 finally?

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
I don't remember DMC2 ever being acknowledged as canon?

Like DmC I assume it exists in its own universe.
2 still is canon to the main continuity, circa the DMC 3 1 4 2 graphic arts book that was released a few years back.

It's just always been depicted as taking place at some point "in the future" of the series, so we don't know if it's possible that DMC5 finally moves on past it or not.

Deleted member 5593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
2 still is canon to the main continuity, circa the DMC 3 1 4 2 graphic arts book that was released a few years back.

It's just always been depicted as taking place at some point "in the future" of the series, so we don't know if it's possible that DMC5 finally moves on past it or not.

Does it explicitly say it takes place in the future or did you come to that conclusion based on its presence in the art book?

Korigama

Oct 25, 2017
DmC would have to be an alternate Earth entirely, since angels don't even exist in the central canon.

Unless of course the split happened in the primordial stages of creation.
Wasn't the Wing Talisman in DMC4 specified as having been made with a crystallized angel wing in its item description?

inb4 "But a lot of the bad guys thought of themselves as angels" (drawing a distinction between their insane rantings and how the game describes things here). It's a foregone conclusion that DmC has nothing to do with mainline DMC and never will either way.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Does it explicitly say it takes place in the future or did you come to that conclusion based on its presence in the art book?
The book does have a timeline. And considering Itsuno and co. did have their input with the text, it's basically the closest thing we got to a canonical text.

This same text was the one that finally confirmed Vergil is Nero's daddy, among other things.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Wasn't the Wing Talisman in DMC4 specified as having been made with a crystallized angel wing in its item description?

inb4 "But a lot of the bad guys thought of themselves as angels" (drawing a distinction between their insane rantings and how the game describes things here). It's a foregone conclusion that DmC has nothing to do with mainline DMC and never will either way.
Oh yeah. Plus they had to have gotten the imagery from somewhere. Although there are those demons in DMC3 that are flying that look like angels. Plus Beowulf with his wings. So it's possible that it was just light element-based demons with wings.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Oh yeah. Plus they had to have gotten the imagery from somewhere. Although there are those demons in DMC3 that are flying that look like angels. Plus Beowulf with his wings. So it's possible that it was just light element-based demons with wings.
Or, it's just a inconsistency. DMC games are never about the plot.

The few gameplay clips look good. Presentationwise, it looks like they're trying to imitate DmC. I'm not really into this, especially if they're going into a more story heavy route; heaven help us if we have a plot focused DMC game.
The demons look pretty gross this time around, and ehhhh, I don't play DMC games to be grossed out.

nded

Nov 14, 2017
I'm pretty sure it's all demons. Just some of them might have a conscience like Sparda or are content to be worshipped by humans.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
A couple things:

-The voice of the massive demon boss we see in the trailer sounds just like Berial.
-I hope they simplify Dante a little bit. I realize one of the big positives about DMC4 is the sheer versatility of Dante, but he has way too much going on. I'd rather play literally any of the other characters. Call me a coward or tell me to get good or whatever, but Dante has so much shit going on in DMC4 it's ludicrous. I hope they tone him down a bit just make him a little easier to access.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
The womans voice was really off for me. Though I guess it was taken out of context in a lot of scenes. Also Nero looked... OLD. Still though the game looked amazing. Would have dug a younger looking main cast but very excited.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So I can't stop watching the trailer. Everything is so great about it, but especially the animations. They're insane.

Also, the winged demon that fires a shitload of lasers at Nero is an amazing design.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Has anyone else had a problem with using the DualShock 4 for the Steam version of DMC4SE? I was having some problems before where switching weapons (i.e. L2 and R2) wouldn't work like they're supposed to. Sometimes, the weapons would switch twice or not at all, rarely ever just once. I've been practicing executing Max-ACT tonight and I'm able to execute it less than half the time despite hitting it at the same time as when I do manage to get it right. I can't even do Ex-ACT most of the time because of this.

If anything, I guess this just tells me I should get DMC5 on the PS4 instead to avoid any possible complications like this. Would prefer playing on the couch anyway.

Nikus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
edit: nvm I didn't see there was a dedicated thread for the HD Collection, I'm gonna bump it.

Last edited:

incneet

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Has anyone else had a problem with using the DualShock 4 for the Steam version of DMC4SE? I was having some problems before where switching weapons (i.e. L2 and R2) wouldn't work like they're supposed to. Sometimes, the weapons would switch twice or not at all, rarely ever just once. I've been practicing executing Max-ACT tonight and I'm able to execute it less than half the time despite hitting it at the same time as when I do manage to get it right. I can't even do Ex-ACT most of the time because of this.

If anything, I guess this just tells me I should get DMC5 on the PS4 instead to avoid any possible complications like this. Would prefer playing on the couch anyway.
Do u use ds4windows?
U need mark hide ds4 control in settings if u use ds4windows

incneet

Banned
Nov 27, 2017

And this is for old games, i hame same problem, double clicks

https://github.com/Ryochan7/DS4Windows/issues/220#issuecomment-366597766

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Do u use ds4windows?
U need mark hide ds4 control in settings if u use ds4windows
Nah, Steam has DS4 support. I worked around it by mapping the weapon switch (and Exceed) to L1 and R1. I only need to hold the lock-on, so having that on R2 is fine. It feels weird and cumbersome, but I'm getting used to it. Appreciate the reply, though!

Generic NPC

Apr 7, 2018
Is there any difference between the digital and physical versions of DmC Definitive Edition (PS4)? I remember the game being pretty buggy at release. Have the bugs been fixed?

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
I liked the DMC 5 trailer and have been meaning to get into the series for some time. I bought the collection and dmc4 and started 1 a few days ago.

Man that camera, it can mess you up something fierce. It's crazy to think how this started as an RE title and it shows. I like the look of the castle and it's got some good atmosphere. Story is ehhh so far but that fine as the gameplay is still somewhat fun.

It's kind of hard (that first spider boss was a make or break for me as everyone else has been way easier). I'm up to chapter 10 or so having just got the second weapon. Haven't bought any skills and I got about 5000 orbs I think. What would you guys and gals recommend?

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With 5000 orbs you should definitely invest in Air Hike if you haven't done so already. I would try to get Alastor maxed out on everything except Round Trip, then start working on Ifrit.

OniBaka

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sydney
I'll say below, not sure if air hike was as important in this.

Stinger
Air Raid
Magma Drive
Kick 13

Grisby

Oct 29, 2017
Thanks fellas. I/m on mission 17 now closing in on the end of the game I think. Shit's been kind of hard thanks to the camera angles.

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017

No real reveal, but if the quality is good get your wallet ready TO BE STYLED ON!!!

Last edited:

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Well this is just rude.

I legit want them to be a family again, but yeah that's never gonna happen...

Dec 14, 2017
Is there any difference between the digital and physical versions of DmC Definitive Edition (PS4)? I remember the game being pretty buggy at release. Have the bugs been fixed?
There's no difference in content or perfomance I've heard. It's not 100% technically perfect, but it is much better than vanilla version.

Also, can I get an invite to the Discord DMC Era server? not sure who to ask...

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
The people that migrated from Neogaf. Do you guys remember who was the dude that made a thread on Gaf saying how he would tweak DMC1 and had a list, the dude had a Vergil avatar and was a hardcore fan of the series (sorry you all blend together).
If any of you have a link to thread or the username of the guy who made it, that would be cool.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The people that migrated from Neogaf. Do you guys remember who was the dude that made a thread on Gaf saying how he would tweak DMC1 and had a list, the dude had a Vergil avatar and was a hardcore fan of the series (sorry you all blend together).
If any of you have a link to thread or the username of the guy who made it, that would be cool.
That was probably me. I think I made a DMC1 remake thread on Resetera as well.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/remaking-the-original-devil-may-cry-is-a-very-difficult-task.29381/

Though this thread addresses the challenges of remaking DMC1. As far as personal tweaks I would make to a DMC1 remake, well that's a different story.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Ah it was an Era, was looking for the thread on Gaf but I couldn't find it. For some reason I remembered the thread being like 6 pages long. Thanks though.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I would also add that in a post DMC5 world, I would make some further suggestions/changes that are more line with DMC5. Like everywhere I say stuff like "yea the camera/control should be more like DmC DE" it's actually more accurate to say DMC5 instead but at that time I only had DmC DE as a close enough reference.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much agreed with all of your points. If the game is ever remade the camera and level design need to be reworked. The under water section and final boss need to be reworked as well, and it needs more bosses and melee weapons for Dante. And obviously style changes and the combat to fit the more modern feel.

I was mostly interested in how the dmc community in the the general section(main forum) side would react/what their reception would be if someone other than me would have pointed it out. Haha.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Well difference is that I still think DMC1 is a classic game so I am coming from that frame of mind. I just think a 1:1 remake wouldn't go over well at all in a post DMC5 world. Even RE has removed fixed camera angles now for the most part.

Oct 27, 2017
Well difference is that I still think DMC1 is a classic game so I am coming from that frame of mind. I just think a 1:1 remake wouldn't go over well at all in a post DMC5 world. Even RE has removed fixed camera angles now for the most part.

DMC1 still holds up IMO just not in the meta game that developed as the series went on and definitely feels a lot simpler now, but I wouldn't call that a bad thing.

I do agree however that if it were to ever get remade than the REmake or even REmake 2 treatment would be preferable. Maybe even rework things to have a Trish boss fight, that's one that pops up in my head.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Camera, Platforming, Yellow Orbs automatically consumed without choice, Slow weapon switching, disappointing final boss fight... Other than those DMC1 doesn't need that much of a drastic revamp.

And among those it's really the problematic platforming thanks to the camera that is detrimental to the experience.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Latest news thread.

The game needs a ReMake 2 treatment, anything other than that would be disappointing. And to add to all of that I would remove Nightmare and replace him with some other boss. Nightmare is pretty terrible.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
I'll say it here then.

With multiplayer announced, I think (no support) they'll be 6 characters.

Nero
Dante
V
Trish
Lady
Vergil

The latter 3 being more or less DMC4 versions.
Shot in the dark, V might have some of the fun stuff of DmC Dante/Vergil.