• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
V might have some of the fun stuff of DmC Dante/Vergil.

I just want to see a weapon similar to Aquila. Usually only stick with Sword/Guantlets as the main weapon loadout. But Aquila is great and up there with Beowulf for me.

Give it to Dante so I can stick with Rebellion/gauntlets/Aquila.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I'm going back to DMC3 to get the Platinum on PS4 and I really gotta say that for every good boss, there's a bad one. The Centipede, Leviathan's Heart(s?), the Horse, Big Blob Guy, Lady (not the actual character, obviously), and Joker all suck.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah half of the bosses in 3 were bad, but at least they tried to give us a huge amount of them. Kinda balances it out for me lol

Is there a DMC game with no bad bosses? Each game had some pretty bad bosses.

Last edited:

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Not really a fan the toad either. Even though DMC 3 has more "bad" bosses, it still has Vergil, Beowulf, and the guitar boss. So it tops it for me for the best bosses in the series. DmC's Vergil boss fight is up there for me too.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Not really a fan the toad either. Even though DMC 3 has more "bad" bosses, it still has Vergil, Beowulf, and the guitar boss. So it tops it for me for the best bosses in the series. DmC's Vergil boss fight is up there for me too.

True that DMC3 has many of the high points. I'd say Credo is probably the most well designed boss in the franchise, though. Vergil in DmC, at least in the DE, is ok. He's the only passable fight in that game though so that ain't saying much.

I'd rank the collection of bosses like this:

DMC3=4>>>1>>>>>>>DmC>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>2

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
3 > 4 > DmC > 1 > 2
DMC 1 has Nelo which I enjoyed, and the first encounter with Griffon (the encounter at the ship is awful tho) was pretty good too. But fighting each boss time three times, and Sparda being a Starfox 64 boss along with Nightmare just being a mess kills it for me. Had more fun fighting Vergil in DmC than fighting any boss in DMC 1. The camera angle, weapons, and skill all contribute to it being a better experience. I also liked DMC 2's Dante final boss the golden angel/devil, but that game has some multiple bosses on the same quality as Nightmare. The building and helicopter being the worst.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
I'm the opposite, I dislike every boss in DMC4 sans Credo. Probably because I find Berial, plant lady and the toad to not be all that interesting. Let alone interesting enough to fight three times in a game lacking bosses. DMC1 pulled the same thing, arguably more if you get caught by Nightmare, but DMC1's bosses were quite a bit better IMO while also switching up setting, introducing new moves and just making more use of the repeating boss fights overall.

I also like the Jester boss fights, Geyron (the horse), Gigapede and Lady boss fight in 3. None are exactly why I'm here but they break up the pace well enough while giving you shit to do. I guess the only bosses I'd say I dislike are maybe Leviathan's hearts and doppelganger, and even then they barely can draw up a negative reaction out of me.

Last edited:

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Three times? Don't you fight them only twice. It edges over 1 since you use different characters for each fight so it's somewhat of a different experience.

Oct 27, 2017
DMC threads have gotten incredibly toxic with either DmC shitposting or MTX chicken little shit so thought I'd post here instead:

So are we expecting much from NYCC? I only ask because last pizza party the had they ended up revealing all of Nero's non-Deluxe edition devil breakers (or at least I assume so) so I'm wondering if we'll get a Devil Arm showcase for Danny boy. Aside from that V will possibly be revealed at X018, if not, a similar Dante trailer like how the gamescom one went.

It seems like there's a steady stream of trailers and information dumps that I really appreciate. Aside from Sub-Human and the MTX news going over like a wet fart the marketing here has been pretty good.

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Therr is going to be both more story info and new game play stuff. I would expect one new fire arm and one new devil arm at the minimum plus a couple of new story cutscenes or at least clips of them..

DantesLink

Oct 26, 2017
Unless I forgot other events, NYCC and the Xbox event are the last big chances to show stuff off this year.

Oct 27, 2017
Was wondering if any of you guys can PM me the discord? Haven't used it before so don't be surprised if my dusty ass doesn't know basic shit about it.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
probably should have finished DMC3 on Very Hard/DMD instead of jumping straight into Bloody Palace. Died right around 9000 :(

Deleted member 2834

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
With DmC and DMC4 on sale, which one should I get? I don't give a shit what Dante looks like, I just want a good game.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
If you can, get both. Both are good for the combat and very little else. DMC4 has better bosses, with a handful of exceptions, and more entertaining cutscenes. DmC has a slightly better campaign.

Deleted member 23908

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I replayed DMC4 this weekend and I have a bunch questions about Nero.

Why does he look like Dante / Vergil? Some people are saying hes a clone, the son of vergil, another son of sparda, capcom being lazy... Not sure which one to believe.

How did Nero get his devil arm? Apparently its actually Vergil, when he died he turned into the arm, is that right?

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Why does he look like Dante / Vergil?
Dante's nephew, Vergil's son. This has been officially confirmed for a while now, and Itsuno even specifically says they made him look more like Vergil (short hair cut) in DMC5, if I recall correctly.
How did Nero get his devil arm? Apparently its actually Vergil, when he died he turned into the arm, is that right?
Not sure about the Devil Bringer, but it is definitely not Vergil. It does have ties to him and the Yamato, though, hence Nero being able to "reforge" the sword.

Seems like the Devil Bringer might actually be the Yamato in some form judging by the leaked video.

Deleted member 23908

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dante's nephew, Vergil's son. This has been officially confirmed for a while now, and Itsuno even specifically says they made him look more like Vergil (short hair cut) in DMC5, if I recall correctly.

Not sure about the Devil Bringer, but it is definitely not Vergil. It does have ties to him and the Yamato, though, hence Nero being able to "reforge" the sword.

Seems like the Devil Bringer might actually be the Yamato in some form judging by the leaked video.
I thought he would have been Dantes son since he mentioned something in DMC1 about his kid. But isn't Dante and Nero only like 10 years apart in age, wouldn't Vergil have been too young?

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
I thought he would have been Dantes son since he mentioned something in DMC1 about his kid. But isn't Dante and Nero only like 10 years apart in age, wouldn't Vergil have been too young?
Nero's not yet in his twenties during DMC4, I think, while Dante is probably nearing 40? There aren't any official numbers as far as I know, but that's just what I know from the discussions. Officially speaking, the only thing I know that's confirmed is that Nero was a teenager (I know he doesn't look it, lol) during DMC4 since they referred to him as such, saying how unlike then, he's an adult now in DMC5.

If I had to guess Nero's age in DMC5, I would say he's in his late 20s/early 30s. Speaking of DMC5 though, any chance of seeing a "V trailer" at Paris Game Week this week? I'm really hoping they're not waiting until next year to show him off :( . He's the one character I want to see the most.

There are some ways to try to track down their ages.
In the DMC3 Manga Arkham states, that the attack on Eva and the twins lies 10 years back. And that's one year before the game. (Dante says, it's been a whole year they last met.)
In DMC1 it's 20 years after the attack, Trish mentions that.
The problem is a bit, that it's never mentioned, how old they are at that moment.
It's somewhat assumed that the twins where around 19 years old at DMC3. So Dante would be around 29 in DMC1.
The DMC4 Novel says, that Vergil was in Fortuna 17 years ago.
So Nero is around 17/18 in DMC4. The question is, how old was Vergil when he was in Fortuna? I have my problems with the father-son thing with them in various ways, but that left aside, it must be of course before DMC3. So his max. age would be 18.
Now we konw they needed a whole year to resurrect the tower - would that be a time to travel to Fortuna to have some fun? Maybe he was there before he even met Arkham. That makes him 16, maybe 17.
So here starts math.
Let's go with Vergil being 17 years old. So 17+17 = 34 - Dante's age in DMC4.
Now we know that DMC 5 is ment to play 7 years* after 4, so his age would be 41. And Nero's 24 respectively.
Trust me, I used a calculator for that..!

* or not. I can't remember where I got that from and can't find it again, may have misread it as well. Buuut the gap should be around something like that, with Nero being now "in his prime" as they said.

Last edited:
The facts are quite simple.
As bunkitz already said: Nero is Vergil's son. We know nothing more about it and nothing about the mother. We may have seen her in Vergil's intro cutscene of the DMC4 Special Edition. A random woman dressed in red turns around when he walks by.
And about his arm: Kyrie was in the forest with the children from the orphanage for a walk, there they were attacked by those angelo demons Agnus created. Nero saved her but was wounded. His arm changed from that. That's it. (Written in the novel)
I would say his demonic blood reacted to those strangely created demons and turned. Because he's just a quarter demon he can't really control it and has weaker powers than Dante & Co., so it's reduced to only the arm chaning into its demonic state.

It all crumbles if you look deeper into it.
Vergil travelled to Fortuna to check about Sparda, because it's said he lived there. He wanted to know more about him, maybe find clues to how to get Sparda's power. Fair enoug. Sadly no one told him that in this city is a gate to the demon world, he could have opened with just Yamato. Instead we have the whole DMC3 drama. Oopsie.
Next we have the fact that he died pretty young and must have been a Teenage-dad. That's not far from impossible, but still feels very off. It doesn't seem to fit the character. Teenage-Verge on the run impregnates a random girl? Naa. And his whole calendar was so full of stuff like meeting Arkham, reviving a tower and so on, that it's hard to imagine a longer relationship with meeting a girl, falling in love and all that other stuff. The novel doesn't give the impression that he really stayed longer in Fortuna than a few days at best.
Whatever way you look at it, Nero's parents may have hardly known each other, and it's highly possible Vergil has not the slightest idea of being a father.
And now I lean myself even more out of the window.
After DMC3 the team was fed up and Nero was created to get them new motivation. (That we know.) I think, to start somewhere, they went with the idea of Vergil having a son and went with that for a while, but it doesn't feel completed. Maybe they were never sure to really nail that down, but had other options at hand, like Nero only being possessed by Vergil and stuff. You can interpretate DMC4 in many different ways, 'cause nothing was ever clear. We do have the light novel, yes. And it hints a bit more to Vergil being his father, but still there are a lot of questions unanswered, and you can still interpretate it different. (And still it doesn't alter the fact that it doesn't fit Vergil in general. And just because you are someone's son doesn't mean you dream or hear the voice of the father you never met - that's not how heredity works!)
Either way I always had a feeling, that they never knew themselves where to go with all of that. Then the whole franchise was put up for adoption and there was no need to care anymore. And then DMC5 came around the corner and they were like: Fuck this, let him be his son and we're done here. I hope they close some of the holes 4 left.

Personally I would have found it better they would have gone with the being possessed thing instead of relating him directly to the twins. Nero could be the son of a totally different human-demon couple. Isn't that a little arrogant to think Dante and Vergil were always the only halfdemons in the world? Or he could have been another lineage of Sparda. He came into the human world 2000 years ago - maybe he had another wife before Eva? Nero could be the 10th son in a long lost line. Maybe his ancestors were wiped out by demons, like they tried with Eva and her sons. It's just more creative in my eyes.

I deeply apologise for my passive-aggressiveness. .__.

Kneefoil

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I'm about 5 missions deep into DMC4 after finishing DMC3 for the first time a couple of days ago, and having beaten all the other games previously. Kind of disappointing to learn that the game itself apparently doesn't explain anything about Nero.

Seems like I was way off with my speculation for where the Devil Bringer came from. The DMC5 reveal trailer made me think that it was literally Vergil's hand which he then came to retrieve. Looking at the trailer now, the robed figure does seem to have both hands, though. I guess I was misled by the fact that he prominently uses his left hand in that trailer, and you see his right for only such a short amount of time.

Nero could be the son of a totally different human-demon couple. Isn't that a little arrogant to think Dante and Vergil were always the only halfdemons in the world? Or he could have been another lineage of Sparda. He came into the human world 2000 years ago - maybe he had another wife before Eva? Nero could be the 10th son in a long lost line. Maybe his ancestors were wiped out by demons, like they tried with Eva and her sons. It's just more creative in my eyes.
No, there are obviously other human demon couples. The anime even showed that. But most humanoid demons are actually rather weak. Even Sparda's own apprentices in their humanoid forms were easily cut down by Dante. Nero's way too powerful to not be a descendant of Sparda.

And to be honest, if there were others children of Sparda, they would have been mentioned. Even in DMC3, people knew that Dante and Vergil were sons of Sparda. This is when they're still rookies. If there were other children of Sparda, surely the demons wouldn't be surprised that Sparda had children.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Well, since we've got the spotlight, let's appreciate how fucking awesome Dante looks in DMC5.

chara.png

Still can't get over his Nomura'd boots, though, lol. Not that I mind them.

Looking at the trailer now, the robed figure does seem to have both hands, though. I guess I was misled by the fact that he prominently uses his left hand in that trailer, and you see his right for only such a short amount of time.
Actually he uses both hands to grab Nero's arm.
Yamato is stored in the arm, that's why he rips it off.
Pretty weird that this stuff is only mentioned in the books and not the games
It's the well known and often used phrase: We didn't have the time nor the money.
No, there are obviously other human demon couples. The anime even showed that. But most humanoid demons are actually rather weak. Even Sparda's own apprentices in their humanoid forms were easily cut down by Dante. Nero's way too powerful to not be a descendant of Sparda.

And to be honest, if there were others children of Sparda, they would have been mentioned. Even in DMC3, people knew that Dante and Vergil were sons of Sparda. This is when they're still rookies. If there were other children of Sparda, surely the demons wouldn't be surprised that Sparda had children.
I know the anime, that's partly why I thought "Why not make him not one of Sparda's?" But around the games the twins always seemed to be the only ones. Just the vibe I got.
You can consider Nero quite weak, acutally. What gives him his power is the arm, that is "infected" by Vergil. He needs Yamato, that's a powersource too. But when all of this is taken from him, he's reduced to being dead weight.
And they just overpowered Dante at some point. On the other hand we have Lady, who does quite well as a human. And how "weak" should humanoid Trish be? If they do great, even a weak Nero could achieve something, if you want to look at it like that. The balance is just off from time to time.

Would they really know? Sparda is a legend, a myth normal people wouldn't know about. (In 4 Lady says that about The Order too. Only a minority knows about the existence of demons in the first place.) The book that states about the sons is well hidden and not common knowledge. If we go back in time to an even older lineage, would there be records of it? How would the demons know, when they think they destroyed that line? We don't know how they found out about Eva and how long it took them too. That Dante is famouse later is not a surprise regarding his actions. He's named legendary demon hunter in 5; everybody who is aware of demons must know his name by now.
Regarding 3, Beowulf e.g. didn't know of there being two sons. And they are mostly given away by the Sparda vibe they always give the demons, who knew their father.

Of course I'm not calling my rambling solid science. Just what I thought about over the years - and we had some time to do so...
Well, in the end I have to live with Nero being the son, if I like it or not. But if It doesn't take an important role in 5, I'm so gonna going to ignore it for my own lore! :P
Still can't get over his Nomura'd boots, though, lol. Not that I mind them.
I'm more thrown off by the chest hair they gave him. And why is it dark? Shouldn't it be grey like the rest? What's strange as well, regarding he started off white. :O