• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I honestly have no idea what Donguri even thought of DmC. Not that it matters, very few people actually follow Donguri so much that they base their gaming discussions around them.

For the record, Donguri put out a Bayonetta 2 Combo Mad (so clearly he must like the game right?) only Bayoneeta 2 has still sold less than DmC.

And calling DmC a "failure" isn't really accurate anymore. It has sold more than DMC3 life time now, is the 2nd best selling DMC game behind DMC4. It has its own following now, people who would actually want the game. More importantly, Capcom doesn't consider it a failure at all, they are quite happy with its performance.

Anyway, a person who claims something like that clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.

I honestly have no idea what Donguri even thought of DmC. Not that it matters, very few people actually follow Donguri so much that they base their gaming discussions around them.

For the record, Donguri put out a Bayonetta 2 Combo Mad (so clearly he must like the game right?) only Bayoneeta 2 has still sold less than DmC.

And calling DmC a "failure" isn't really accurate anymore. It has sold more than DMC3 life time now, is the 2nd best selling DMC game behind DMC4. It has its own following now, people who would actually want the game. More importantly, Capcom doesn't consider it a failure at all, they are quite happy with its performance.

Anyway, a person who claims something like that clearly doesn't know what they are talking about.
The guy speaks with a victim complex. Seriously, he doesn't even provide proof anywhere.

After all the ruckus that went along with DmC for serveral reasons, before and after release, it appears to me as a strange thought to seek responsibility in something one single person might have said.
It's a bit strange how the tables have turned. First DMC fans feared to never have a game of their franchise again and can set back in relief now. But now DmC fans are rising, because they might never get a sequel to their game. Irony, I guess. :O

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Little V released a cover for V's theme and now I want Capcom to give us a DLC pack with just Little V's DMC covers.

So, I just skipped through a walkthrough of Project X Zone 2 for the DMC stuff. Did I just miss it or do they really not find out that Nelo's Vergil?
I mean, how epic would that be? Vergil slays Nelo down and is like "Wtf, it's me?!"
Like Luke in that cave on Dagobah, when he beheads Vader and it shows his own face. Drama!
How could they let that opportunity slip?

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling that DmC will get a sequel and it will be an Xbox exclusive . Surely next gen though .

There's damn near no way that will happen because Xbox is nowhere near as popular as PS4 and Switch in Japan. Even though they're chasing the west with the visuals of DMC5, Capcom is still a Japan game company at the end of the day.

Nashklasher

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
There's damn near no way that will happen because Xbox is nowhere near as popular as PS4 and Switch in Japan. Even though they're chasing the west with the visuals of DMC5, Capcom is still a Japan game company at the end of the day.
I'm not talking about the original dmc .. I'm referring to the NT game . The NT game , if a sequel is developed , will be MS exclusive for sure

J_Macgrady

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not talking about the original dmc .. I'm referring to the NT game . The NT game , if a sequel is developed , will be MS exclusive for sure
I know that. Capcom wants as many sales as possible for their games and will probably not care about publishing a reboot that didn't even sell that much when it was multiplatform.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Work has begun on the DMC5 OT, so for those who want to contribute, contact Dahbomb.

So uh, someone is apparently claiming that Donguri is the reason DmC failed. They're saying that because he disliked it, the reat of the fanbase followed.

Is there any proof he even disliked it? He's badmouthing donguri and I'd correct him, but I have no steam discussion privileges.

Lmao. Donguri wasn't even around back then. Donguri only started making videos in 2012, and people didn't really know who he was until sometime in 2014.

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
u3v1vtsilud21.png

First time ever beating DMC1 DMD :)

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
What do you think was the hardest part? For me it was either Nelo 3 or Mundus' 2nd form.
Nelo pushed my shit in for a solid 6 hours, and I kept in mind that the worst was yet to come.

Griffon 2 was a crazy difficult fight for me too, I ended up air raiding him to death and having to manuever a lot in the air to dodge his lighting but I also figured out a spot where I could fly and damage him and he couldn't hit me if he landed. Griffon 3 was easy for some reason, I beat him in one try using air raid, meteors, and a lot of shooting.

Nightmare 2 actually fucked me up a lot because I hate fighting Griffon inside him, but I think fighting Nightmare so much made me know how to beat him since I beat Nightmare 3 in two tries, who was easier because the Nelo inside him is a CAKEWALK compared to Nelo 3 who I was so used to.

Mundus, though..... I am not joking when I say the guy probably took me 25-30 hours to beat. The combination of the stupid rail shooters segment and the utter stupidity of his attacks in phase 2 was annoying. He was by far the biggest challenge of DMD.

What's funny is I had a lot of items stored up and then after I started my run I said I'm not gonna use any this whole run and see how it goes. After I s-ranked the first couple of missions, I also said that I'll s-rank every mission this playthrough. I cheesed Mundus with devil stars and untouchables and got a D and felt bad, so I restarted the mission and pushed his shit in the proper way (after 20 hours) but damn did it feel good. I love this game.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
Nelo pushed my shit in for a solid 6 hours, and I kept in mind that the worst was yet to come.

Griffon 2 was a crazy difficult fight for me too, I ended up air raiding him to death and having to manuever a lot in the air to dodge his lighting but I also figured out a spot where I could fly and damage him and he couldn't hit me if he landed. Griffon 3 was easy for some reason, I beat him in one try using air raid, meteors, and a lot of shooting.

Nightmare 2 actually fucked me up a lot because I hate fighting Griffon inside him, but I think fighting Nightmare so much made me know how to beat him since I beat Nightmare 3 in two tries, who was easier because the Nelo inside him is a CAKEWALK compared to Nelo 3 who I was so used to.

Mundus, though..... I am not joking when I say the guy probably took me 25-30 hours to beat. The combination of the stupid rail shooters segment and the utter stupidity of his attacks in phase 2 was annoying. He was by far the biggest challenge of DMD.

What's funny is I had a lot of items stored up and then after I started my run I said I'm not gonna use any this whole run and see how it goes. After I s-ranked the first couple of missions, I also said that I'll s-rank every mission this playthrough. I cheesed Mundus with devil stars and untouchables and got a D and felt bad, so I restarted the mission and pushed his shit in the proper way (after 20 hours) but damn did it feel good. I love this game.

Man, I would not have the patience to beat a boss if I was on it for more than 5 hours, let alone 25! It's why I've never given the Souls games much of a chance. I think I did most of my first DMD run in a couple days, with Mundus probably taking me around 2 hours. You've got a lot more resilience than I.

As far as overall difficulty is concerned, I think DMC3SE (never played vanilla) is the hardest. DMC1 is probably the 2nd hardest with DMC4 being behind it. DmC:DE would come next, followed by the original release and DMC2 is last place. Funnily, that's also probably how I'd rank them quality-wise.

bar_bar12

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Man, I would not have the patience to beat a boss if I was on it for more than 5 hours, let alone 25! It's why I've never given the Souls games much of a chance. I think I did most of my first DMD run in a couple days, with Mundus probably taking me around 2 hours. You've got a lot more resilience than I.

As far as overall difficulty is concerned, I think DMC3SE (never played vanilla) is the hardest. DMC1 is probably the 2nd hardest with DMC4 being behind it. DmC:DE would come next, followed by the original release and DMC2 is last place. Funnily, that's also probably how I'd rank them quality-wise.
DMC3 DMD was harder overall I think, but DMC1 had higher difficulty spikes. As shitty as I thought Arkhma was (only point in any of the DMC games where I had to use an item) Mundus blows him out of the park in difficulty.

FLCL

Oct 27, 2017
Been looking at some DMC5 gameplay and god the combat looks amazing.
Will the characters be handled the same as in DMC4 where you play a certain character for a certain chapter or can you play through the whole game without switching?

OP
OP
Dahbomb

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Been looking at some DMC5 gameplay and god the combat looks amazing.
Will the characters be handled the same as in DMC4 where you play a certain character for a certain chapter or can you play through the whole game without switching?
Its a mix of both. In some missions you will have choice among characters you can pick, while in other missions you have to play the designated character.

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing the series in release order since 4 released on ps3 (1-3SE-4SE-5).

I've just started 3 with the DDMK mod and I don't remember having this much fun with a game since the PS2 days (well, the game IS from that time)

Too bad 3 keeps crashing on me so I'm redownloading right now(I have a bad connection so it will take until tomorrow morning).

I've also used a trainer for quick orb gain on DMC1 but that fucked up my ranking in the end (I suppose it makes the game think that every single sword slash is in S Rank so the number by the end was huge) so I'm playing 3 normally (only with style switcher) and had to farm a little on the first missions to purchase all the abilities I could (and wasting like 10k in guns upgrades before reading that the mod keeps them at Lv1 lol)

JCal

Oct 27, 2017
Los Alfheim
The Devil has me!

I can't believe the wait is almost over. I'm so fucking pumped right now. I'm finishing up a DMC3 DMD run at the moment. Just have to bash through 18-20, then I'll be running 4 until the 8th. The time has really come!

The more I play 3 the saltier I get that Divine Hate isn't part of the music pack for 5. Ahhh! I saw that thread title that said Capcom has no plans for additional DLC. Here's hoping the game overperforms and they change their minds. A potential SE could also save the day, but obviously further down the line.

Normal

Oct 26, 2017
Just got my copy of 5 and beat the second mission. Didn't try out the demo since I knew I was going to buy it anyway, but initial thoughts so far is that Nero feels kinda heavy and slow. Don't remember if it was always like this since it's been two years since I last played 4.
Also had to change melee to Square instead of triangle and the gun to L1.

Edit:
Beat the game and yeah this is my favorite DMC(DmC)title, dethroning DMC3 for me. It felt like they took the best of DmC and the best of DMC3 and this ended up becoming the end product. Level design and structure is step up from the original series, easily the best from the original games and just right below DmC. Favorite weapon has to be Dante's Gauntlets I liked all three of the character's gameplay, I think V is pretty dope too and would love to see him return in the sequel.

My only issues with the game were
-Loading Screens are pretty bad on the PS4. Whenever a mission ends, entering the customization, or just starting the game it takes a while.
-Devil Bringers. I can swap Dante's styles using the dpad so why won't they let you swap Nero's devil bringers using the dpad too. Or are you able to, and I just didn't figure it out...
-Switching enemies using the lock on feels kinda rigid and stiff.
-Only song that I liked was the one that plays on the final mission.

Off to replay the game again on SoS now (why don't trophies stack tho.) It's my GOTY so far.

1. DMC 5
2. DMC 3
3. DmC
4. DMC 4
5. DMC 2
6. DMC

Now I hope I get a sequel to DmC 2 so that I could get a conclusion to the story, and then DMC 6.

Last edited:
Anyone ever read those western DMC comics? Can't say they are too good. (The style is quite nice though.)
Didn't like how Dante is described there, same goes for Nelo and his interactions with Dante; Trish's sexiness is pumped up to the max and the comic even starts with a nearly completely naked woman with the legs spread wide captured by demons.
The series got cancelled and nothing of value was lost I guess.

So I went over to the DMC Light Novels, and the first one is acutally a cute read.
Dante's characterization seems fitting and it's nice to see how Grue and his daugthers are some kind of foster family and Nell a foster mother to him.
Gilver works well too, though I see him contradicting with the game. But they working together is always like a dream come true; they could have done a lot more with the brothers there. With Dante having no clue who Gilver is, but feels drawn to him and how they work on jobs together and stuff like that.
There are smaller things that seemed a bit off to me along the way, but overall it's fine in the end.

The second one isn't really bad either, but kinda irrelevant.
Dante gets hired for a job with an artifact, that's meant to have a connection to his father. And then he gets sucked into a parallel dimension of the underworld where everything, that happened, is mirrored: Sparda was betrayed by humans, captured and killed by Mundus. Dante was the one kidnapped as a child and separated from his brother, who became Nelo Angelo just to lead a rebellion of demons against Mundus. Here it was Dante who sided with Mundus and defeated Nelo.
The real Dante now takes Nelo's place as the leader of the rebellion (among it are Griffon and Shadow btw), fights Trish and mourns her / his mother's death a second time and kills Mundus a second time. He comes back into his dimension and finishs the job overall.
It feels a lot like "all the same stuff again" what was kinda lame. They could have made more out of it with Nelo being still alive, that they e.g. could team up and fight together, and with Dante maybe mourning his brother's death in the real dimension and maybe being able to somehow apologize and make up with this Nelo.
Not to mention that throwing Dante into an alternate reality seemed kinda weird to begin with.

Narroo

Banned
Feb 27, 2018
HMMMMM. I was replaying DMC4 when I decided to grab DMC4:SE since it was $10, and I wanted to freshen it up.

No one told me the rebalanced the Legendary Dark Knight Mode. Like, this is just obnoxious and unfun now. Before it was just all fun and games with crowd control. Now, it's "DMD, but with more enemies instead of Devil Triggers."

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
It's really impressive how much that looks like a console DMC title. Just wish it'd get an English release. Would be funny if it got DMC5 Vergil before DMC5SE happened...

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
I'm resurrecting this community to say that I just started playing DMC5

I like V quite a bit. I'm still mixed a little on Nero's Devil Breaker system, but I'm getting there.

I just got started up Dante and beat Cavaliere Angelo. Look, I know the philosophy behind Dante over the years has been living arsenal. But DMC4 already hurt my hands...

Do you hate me Itsuno? Do you? I already have 3 and 3, but I can get 4 and 4? Plus Balrog has 2 movesets as is. Lord in heaven you mad man.

Pretty sure he died sealing Mundus off in the underworld. I've always assumed.
He sealed Mundus away many, many years before he even met Eva, though.

For a long time, I thought he already vansished when the twins were still very young. That would also explain why they always only recall memories of Eva and harbor much more feelings for her, while when talking about Sparda, they often sound quite distant and indifferent.
I also thought, they were younger during the attack, like 5 or so. But when we really go by them being 19 in DMC3, they must have been 7/8 (like DmC).
And then with DMC 5, in the novel Dante recalls how they were trained by Sparda. And there is the old fashioned painting. So he must have been around a lot longer, maybe left not so long before the attack.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
He sealed Mundus away many, many years before he even met Eva, though.

For a long time, I thought he already vansished when the twins were still very young. That would also explain why they always only recall memories of Eva and harbor much more feelings for her, while when talking about Sparda, they often sound quite distant and indifferent.
I also thought, they were younger during the attack, like 5 or so. But when we really go by them being 19 in DMC3, they must have been 7/8 (like DmC).
And then with DMC 5, in the novel Dante recalls how they were trained by Sparda. And there is the old fashioned painting. So he must have been around a lot longer, maybe left not so long before the attack.
I dunno. I'm just kind of blurring things because at some point he messed up that one demon from DMC2. At some point he built the Hell Gate underneath Fortuna. At some point he built Temen Ni Gru. Like, he did a lot. But then the family was attacked, Eva was killed, Dante was hidden and Vergil was lost during the fighting and Sparda was never seen again.

I mean maybe we'll get a DMC6 that'll elaborate on said nebulous time period. I haven't read any of the extended stuff.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Playing through the series for the first time blind and the drop in quality between 1 and 2 is massive. Like what were they thinking... just hold square I guess.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Playing through the series for the first time blind and the drop in quality between 1 and 2 is massive. Like what were they thinking... just hold square I guess.
On the plus side, some of the basic stuff for the Trickster and Gunslinger styles that come up in future games are in there like Twosome Time and Wallrun, so that's cool.

But yeah