• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
4faff0deb48f8c540108ea8638292df5e2fe7fba.gif

taaaaaake oooooon curayzeeeeeee

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Got the DMC4:SE aaaaand... shit, I didn't know Vergil is so fuckin' OP [especially with the unlimited devil trigger costume], I almost feel bad for the demons, except for Blitz maybe, fuck that guy.

It was nice to finally go back to DMC4, I'm not particularly good at it, but the game is still a blast and the legendary dark knight difficulty mode is a great addition. However it's a shame they didn't took some time to actually make SE feel more like a finished product, additional characters are great, but their campaings are basically 1 to 1 copy of the main one without additional cutscenes, story bits etc.[Vergil intro spelled some hope but that got quickly crushed later on].

Backtracking and boss recycling really starts to tire you after a third or so playthrough, luckily that godlike combat system makes up for some of the game's blemishes.

I can only hope DMCV rumor is true and that they won't make the same mistake again, don't rush it, finish it properly and give us a full experience, great combat system, varied levels, amazing characters, wacky action scenes and those sweet corny one liners.

3d6.gif

Last edited:

spider

CLANG
On Break
Oct 23, 2017
Australia
.... i really need to get DMC4SE

beat DMC4 twice a long time ago and then drifted away . __ .

which was sad since i had replayed DMC3SE soooooo many times until i lost count haha

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
.... i really need to get DMC4SE

beat DMC4 twice a long time ago and then drifted away . __ .

which was sad since i had replayed DMC3SE soooooo many times until i lost count haha

It's often on sale [at least on ps4] that's how I grabbed it ultimately. It's worth it for Vergil alone.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
It's really too bad they didn't get around to fixing the whole recycled second half of the game for 4SE... Really would have loved to see it done properly.

Still hyped as hell to get it just for Vergil and the fact that I'll be able to play DMC4 again after all these years, though.

solari

Oct 25, 2017
AZ, USA
Completed normal on DMC4SE this weekend. Forgot how god awful the last 3 missions of that game are. Final boss is a total pushover. Game just plays excellently though. Don't know if I'll attempt the platinum on this one, seems pretty rough, but I intend to keep playing it for the next couple weeks. Gameplay is a dream. Forgot how sublime DMC4 Dante was.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Got the DMC4:SE aaaaand... shit, I didn't know Vergil is so fuckin' OP [especially with the unlimited devil trigger costume], I almost feel bad for the demons, except for Blitz maybe, fuck that guy.

It was nice to finally go back to DMC4, I'm not particularly good at it, but the game is still a blast and the legendary dark knight difficulty mode is a great addition. However it's a shame they didn't took some time to actually make SE feel more like a finished product, additional characters are great, but their campaings are basically 1 to 1 copy of the main one without additional cutscenes, story bits etc.[Vergil intro spelled some hope but that got quickly crushed later on].

Backtracking and boss recycling really starts to tire you after a third or so playthrough, luckily that godlike combat system makes up for some of the game's blemishes.

I can only hope DMCV rumor is true and that they won't make the same mistake again, don't rush it, finish it properly and give us a full experience, great combat system, varied levels, amazing characters, wacky action scenes and those sweet corny one liners.

3d6.gif

Everyone is broken. Dante has an insane moveset, Nero has that mobility, Lady does ridiculous amounts of damage, and Trish has straight up dirt with those round trips combos.

105.Will

Oct 26, 2017
Got to watch one of my friends run his head into Vergil 3 for almost 2 hours. He did roughly 10 percent of his health bar his first attempt, and immediately knew what he was in for. He's never beaten a Devil May Cry game before so he got his shit rocked by just about
every single one of Vergil's tricks, but he eventually took the win very convincingly.

Watching him reinvigorated my motivation to get the DMC3SE style switcher mod working again on my pc, which lead me to beating the game that night, and a very rough morning the next day.
but man is that game good.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I'm sure this has been discussed before but I'm curious to know what you guys think is an elegant solution to the 'lock room' design in these type of games? Where like you're trapped in an area until you kill everything. It's not as bad when you're in an actual room but it's a bit jarring when it's an open area.

I think even Bayonetta 2 still magically walk off an area when fighting starts.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I think even Bayonetta 2 still magically walk off an area when fighting starts.

Bayonetta 1 and 2 still use the Lumen or infernal shields that block off the combat area - it's why the iconic kiss / heart of bullets to break them at the end of a verse exists.

I don't necessarily think it's a problem that absolutely needs to be solved, in a linear or closed off level it just makes things neater. Even Nioh does the same thing for major enemy encounters despite its more open level design.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Bayonetta 1 and 2 still use the Lumen or infernal shields that block off the combat area - it's why the iconic kiss / heart of bullets to break them at the end of a verse exists.

I don't necessarily think it's a problem that absolutely needs to be solved, in a linear or closed off level it just makes things neater. Even Nioh does the same thing for major enemy encounters despite its more open level design.

I don't know if I'm misremembering it again, but i have the impression that it happens a lot for the old DMC games compared to Nioh that just adopts the Souls method of just locked off doors from one side.

Like every other area is walled off by the red stuff

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if I'm misremembering it again, but i have the impression that it happens a lot for the old DMC games compared to Nioh that just adopts the Souls method of just locked off doors from one side.

Like every other area is walled off by the red stuff

It definitely happens more often in DMC, but Nioh does close off areas with more than doors - the yokai realm mist blocks off points of exit and entry when doing larger enemy or mission boss encounters. With DMC's current mission structure, instanced rooms and the mobility offered in combat, the current method seems like the easier solution. With more open level design that's not as sectioned off into discrete rooms and less restrictive constraints imposed by console limitations regarding enemy numbers and active instances (which could still be solved by having them despawn depending on your distance from the combat area), having fewer areas which explicitly close you in could be good; but if it gets in the way of providing well-designed distinct combat scenarios it'd be more trouble than it's worth.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Man Doppelganger is such an okay fight. Better than Leviathan or the Giantwalker, but that's not saying much. The gimmick's cool, but it makes the fight painfully repetitive. Beowulf makes it significantly more enjoyable, but only due to the quicker work. Same thing with Giantwalker and Cerberus.

Literally almost all of the other bosses are better. Though I am dreading Arkham.

So if y'all had to pick two guns and two swords to return from a prior game (including DmC) to a new one, what would y'all pick?

I'd go with Aquila and Gilgamesh for swords. Aquila is probably the most fun weapon from DmC hands down, and Gilgamesh has the biggest moveset of any gauntlet weapon we've seen in the series at any point.

For guns I'll pick Spiral and Pandora. High powered sniper ricochet shots and the unlimited well that is Pandora are just fun.

Last edited:

AgentLampshade

Sweet Commander
Oct 25, 2017
Agni & Rudra were great fun. I'd like them to return alongside Alastor. You can argue Rebellion has replaced Alastor, but imagine it having an expanded lighting moveset. Alastor's great.
For firearms...Hell, you can design an entire game around Pandora's concept, so I want that back, because you can do literally anything with it. My second choice would be Artemis, even though I never really used it that much.

105.Will

Oct 26, 2017
That's a hard one. I want to say Beowulf, but we've had a different gauntlet in every game soo i'll go with

Cerberus, and Agni and Rudra.

Guns i'll go with Kalina Ann, and Pandora.

Honorable mention to Neaven and Artemis.

Son of Sparda

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
As most of you guys know, in a couple of days I'll be gone for a while (around 2 months).

It's not that long, so I don't wanna make a big deal out of it, but true to form I had to make a Bollywood reaction thing for this. So here, enjoy and goodbye.

https://streamable.com/97gfk

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
^Damn. No more leaks. :P

Nah, gonna miss you, bud.

So if y'all had to pick two guns and two swords to return from a prior game (including DmC) to a new one, what would y'all pick?

Ifrit. It's the crunchiest gauntlets and I don't want another new set of new gauntlets in V.
Cerberus. Maybe my favorite weapon in 3 after Rebellion, and I don't feel we're likely to get another similar weapon. Nor do we need one with Cerberus already existing.
Artemis. The most unique firearm in 3, imo, and the one with the most to add.
Grenade Gun. Maybe my favorite firearm in the series, and definitely my favorite explosive one. Give it some new abilities like unique ammo types, and we're good.

105.Will

Oct 26, 2017
^Damn. No more leaks. :P

Nah, gonna miss you, bud.

Ifrit. It's the crunchiest gauntlets and I don't want another new set of new gauntlets in V.
Cerberus. Maybe my favorite weapon in 3 after Rebellion, and I don't feel we're likely to get another similar weapon. Nor do we need one with Cerberus already existing.
Artemis. The most unique firearm in 3, imo, and the one with the most to add.
Grenade Gun. Maybe my favorite firearm in the series, and definitely my favorite explosive one. Give it some new abilities like unique ammo types, and we're good.
Would be dope if they took inspiration from RE's grenade launcher

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkham is not as lame as I remember. Not the most exciting, but not as bad as I recall. Vergil 3 is the best boss probably

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Finally bought DMC4SE! Psyched as hell to play it. Hoping to not embarrass my teenage self.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
One thing DMC5 needs to not do is make Enemy Step purchasable. Dunno what genius thought that was a good idea, but it was available from the start of DMC3, and that game is still hard as hell.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Okay, that was super embarrassing. Took me three tries to beat Berial, and when I only got a D rank at the end. Fuck. Granted, I haven't played DMC4 in 8 years, but still. Guess I'm gonna have to practice a lot...

Was the lock-on always a hold thing and not toggle, though? Feels weird to me.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Okay, that was super embarrassing. Took me three tries to beat Berial, and when I only got a D rank at the end. Fuck. Granted, I haven't played DMC4 in 8 years, but still. Guess I'm gonna have to practice a lot...

Was the lock-on always a hold thing and not toggle, though? Feels weird to me.
Yeah it was always hold, as part of DMC's combat is learning when and when not to use it, as some moves only work with or without it. DmC offers a hold or toggle lock-on however, if I recall.

And Berial can be tough, since air combos are the best way to beat him and at mission 02, you're probably not going to have many.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it was always hold, as part of DMC's combat is learning when and when not to use it, as some moves only work with or without it. DmC offers a hold or toggle lock-on however, if I recall.

And Berial can be tough, since air combos are the best way to beat him and at mission 02, you're probably not going to have many.
Ahh. I was thinking of that too when I tried to remember whether it was hold or toggle. Makes sense.

Good point, haha, guess I shouldn't be too hard on myself.

Playing it did make me agree with the notion that DMCV should rework some of its controls. It just feels too clunky to have to lock on in order to dodge. And as much as I love the backflip, a smaller backward dodge would be really great too, as well as an option to toggle or hold the lock on.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Berial is the do or die noob killer boss of DMC4. Don't fret about it.

Lock-on was always a hold. Only DmC DE has a toggle option.

Dodging is the way it is because the control and movement have only been iterated on, not redesigned. As it is, what dodge move you should use is situational. That said, I think there's a more effective way of doing things. I'd like a quick dodge and a longer dodge with more i-frames but also more recovery frames, that use the same button.

One thing DMC5 needs to not do is make Enemy Step purchasable. Dunno what genius thought that was a good idea, but it was available from the start of DMC3, and that game is still hard as hell.

My guess is they did it as a way of tutorializing it and making players more aware of it so they'd experiment with it more. Doesn't really work, though.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
Playing as Vergil in DMC4 is pretty great, but I don't like Grim Trick. Having Trick Down be so obtuse to use, and Grim Trick and Trick Up be so easy is weird. Either fix how the Tricks interact, or remove Grim Trick altogether.
My guess is they did it as a way of tutorializing it and making players more aware of it so they'd experiment with it more. Doesn't really work, though.
It really doesn't. Actually threw me off going back to DMC3:SE and having Enemy Step from the beginning.

One thing DMC4 did that was amazing was making Air Hike non-exclusive between weapons. Shit is super dumb. I don't see how not allowing Nevan and Cerberus to have Air Hike makes them more or less balanced. Also giving Styles purchasable level ups instead of XP was awesome.

Last edited:

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Berial is the do or die noob killer boss of DMC4. Don't fret about it.

Lock-on was always a hold. Only DmC DE has a toggle option.

Dodging is the way it is because the control and movement have only been iterated on, not redesigned. As it is, what dodge move you should use is situational. That said, I think there's a more effective way of doing things. I'd like a quick dodge and a longer dodge with more i-frames but also more recovery frames, that use the same button.
Oh, okay. Cool! Good to know, hahaha.

Yes! A short but quick dodge would be really appreciated.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy new year DMC Era!

This being the year for the announcement is pretty much a given at this point so I'll just hope that it will release this year as well.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Happy New Year, y'all!

Can't wait for V to finally come this E3. It's gonna be one hell of a ride.

BKatastrophe

Oct 28, 2017
So after playing some more DMC3/4, I've come to a conclusion on what I'd like to see from DMC5 for character modifications:
-Dante can largely remain as is. Drop his gun and sword switching from three to two and that's about it. Four styles on the fly, two guns, two swords. Enough variety without being overly difficult like DMC4 Dante (a fact that may hurt some folks).

-Vergil can be kept at three swords and one versatile "gun." Give him three styles (Darkslayer, Quicksilver, Doppelganger) and have the fourth D-Pad option be a "gun" switch. Keeps his sword options more open than his "gun" options, staying in tune with not only the character, but also the gameplay style he's come to be known for.

-Nero is tricky. Leave him with sword switching on the unused trigger, while giving all the swords a secondary function akin to Exceed. Expand the Devil Bringer move set to actually be a complex weapon in it's own right. Give Nero gun swaps attached to the D-Pad, as well as DB functions. However, don't make the DB elemental in nature (fireballs and whatnot), but rather make it demonic appendages. Such as Credo's shield, but an actual physical shield as opposed to one super lame move. Basically, two gun swaps and two DB swaps. Two swords attached to one trigger and a secondary function for each sword.

Lady and Trish are much trickier and require a lot more focus in regards to fleshing them out, due to being so barebones.

-Lady's concept of being a reverse Vergil — focusing on guns as opposed to swords — is a great foundation. She needs a more versatile physical weapon however, as the Kalina Ann's moveset does not match Summon Swords in terms of sheer versatility and utility. Give her some more guns (grenade launcher, Spiral, the uzi with a bayonet she uses in DMC3). I don't know how to modify her as far as styles and her DT goes.

-Trish is a complete wild card. I can't say much here. More swords and guns. Have Sparda and Pandora be her tertiary weapons as opposed to styles, given their massive moveset. Maybe give her some older demonic weapons, like Artemis and Alastor. Since she's a shapeshifter (Gloria), maybe make her like Axl from the Mega Man X series. Maybe give her extra depth to DTs and have her copy the properties of other demons? This could play into her emphasis on demonic weapons over conventional human ones (like Lady).Also giving her the tricks she had in MvC3 would be dope.

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
I think it'd be neat if Dante had access to normal DT, Quicksilver, and Doppelganger all in one. Maybe make it a button combination, like hold the DT button and press Square to use QS or Triangle to use DG? Also, why not let us use all our weapons at anytime? Dante could acquire up to 8 Devil Arms and could switch between them with the D-pad and a button like R2+D-pad. He could then switch between 4 guns using another button+D-pad. This would probably be seen as too complex though.

bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Dante could acquire up to 8 Devil Arms and could switch between them with the D-pad and a button like R2+D-pad. He could then switch between 4 guns using another button+D-pad. This would probably be seen as too complex though.
I'm already getting tired just thinking of everything I have to think and keep track of if they do something like that...