• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
banner3.png

Thanks to AgentLampshade for the main banner, to TheLegendaryDarkKnight, ZombieFred and JumpCancel for other graphics, and to lowhighkang_LHK for the FAQ write-up.

Release: March 13, 2018 (WW) / March 15, 2018 (JP)
Platforms: PlayStation®4, Xbox One, Steam, Twitch Commerce
Genre: Stylish Action
No. of Players: 1 (limited 2 player in DMC3)
Rating: ESRB M (Ages 17+) / PEGI 16 / USK 16 / OFLC "M" / CERO C (Ages 15+)
Languages: English, French, German, Italian, Spanish (PAL/NA) | Japanese, (trad. + simpl.) Chinese (JP)
Price: US $ 29.99 / UK £ 24.99 / EU € 29.99 / JP ¥ 3,990 (PS4 physical), ¥ 3,694 (PS4 digital), ¥ 5,546 (PS4 digital deluxe), ¥ 3,700 (Xbox One regular), ¥ 5,580 (Xbox One digital deluxe), ¥ 3,694 (Steam)

DMC.png

Devil May Cry is a series by Capcom starring the half-human half-demon devil hunter Dante. Dubbed Stylish Action by Capcom, Devil May Cry is an action-adventure series with an emphasis on stylish, over-the-top combat.

DMC has its origins in the Resident Evil series. Directed by Hideki Kamiya, the director of Resident Evil 2, Devil May Cry was originally meant to be Resident Evil 4 on the PlayStation 2. However, the project was seen as straying too far from the Resident Evil formula, and was eventually spun off as its own IP.

The series has gone on to sell over 16 million units across five games, three packaged content updates and the HD collection, making it one of Capcom's most successful franchises.

Thegames.png

logo_dmc1.png

Devil May Cry is the first game in the Devil May Cry series, Created and directed by Hideki Kamiya featuring the main playable character, Dante, a son of Sparda, as the main protagonist. The game opens with a cutscene where a woman named Trish bursts into Dante's shop and asks for help. The game is set entirely in and around an ominous castle on Mallet Island where both Trish and Dante go to face a great evil.

main_img02.jpg

DMC2Logo_fin3.png

Devil May Cry 2 serves as a sequel to Devil May Cry and is currently the last game in the Devil May Cry series to take place chronologically. Set in modern times, in the fictional city of Uroboros on Dumary Island, the story centers on Dante and Lucia in their fight to stop a sinister businessman named Arius from raising the demon Argosax and achieving supreme power.

main_img02.jpg

DMC3SELADYLOGO.png

Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening is the third game in the Devil May Cry series. It is a prequel to the first Devil May Cry game, making it the first game in the series chronologically. Dante's twin brother, Vergil, and a man named Arkham release the ancient tower of Temen-ni-gru from below a modern city and conspire to use Dante to unlock the gate to the demonic realm. While working toward confronting his brother, Dante encounters Lady, a fellow devil hunter, and the mysterious Jester, an enigmatic clown that aids Dante throughout his journey.

main_img02.jpg

MEDIA.png

Devil May Cry - 94
Devil May Cry 2 - 68
Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition - 87

faq.png

Devil May Cry 1 FAQ:

Q: How do I shoot?

A: You need to press and hold R1 to lock-on first, then you can fire. Lock-on also readjusts the camera, and is necessary to perform various special attacks and evades.

Q: What does Easy Automatic do?

A: Enemies do less damage and less health. Furthermore, certain enemies and encounters are missing and / or altered on easy mode. Automatic is basically auto combo. Where you simply press the attack button and the game will do certain attacks and actions for you randomly/automatically. This automation and randomness can be problematic however especially against boss fights. You lose manual control over your character. Unfortunately unlike in DMC3 or DMC4, automatic mode is tied to easy mode, and you can't turn it off. Thus, I highly recommend you try your best to avoid playing easy automatic difficulty.

Q: Can I switch weapons in real-time?

A: Yes! Once Ifrit is obtained, you can switch melee weapons even in DMC1 by clicking in the Right Analog Stick (R3).

Q: There are a lot of things to purchase and upgrade. What should I focus on?

A: Always focus on upgrades that are permanent. Choose blue orbs over vital stars. Choose purple orbs over devil stars. Choose to upgrade special attacks like stinger and air raid etc. I do recommend making sure you always have one or two yellow orbs in your inventory just in case though.

Q: What is the benefit of having a high style rank?

A: This applies to all DMC games. The higher your style meter, the more red orbs you get per enemy kill. Furthermore, the higher your end mission rank will be, which will net you even more red orbs. As you'll quickly see, red orbs are valuable.

Q: I know the shotgun can be missed. Where is it?

A: You can obtain the shotgun in as early as mission 2. It's in the room with the grim reaper painting. Destroy the table on the second floor and then pick it up to acquire it.

Q: I keep getting hit by enemies off-screen. Any tips?

A: Make sure you press R1 to lock-on, this will adjust the camera. But beyond that, all enemies and bosses have an auditory cue to their attacks. If you can, try playing with headphones.

Q: The first boss is hard. Any tips?

A: Phantom's topside is weak. Thus, doing helmbreakers (Press Triangle in air) down on his topside will do strong damage. Even more so when you are in devil trigger state. Air Raid (special move that needs to be purchased) also works well.

Devil May Cry 3 FAQ

Q: What is GOLD vs YELLOW?

A: Gold = Unlimited Continues/Checkpoints. Yellow = Limited Continues/Checkpoints (you must have a yellow orb in your inventory to retry from a checkpoint upon death, otherwise you must restart at the mission's beginning). I recommend GOLD for most people. DMC3 is plenty challenging enough, there is really no need to make it harder. If you opt to play on Yellow, remember you can always press start and save the game. While this won't save your location, it'll save inventory progress (red orbs and blue orbs acquired, secret missions completed etc.) If you are a trophy/achievement hunter, remember Vergil and Dante are on different game files. So you can play Dante on GOLD, and then play Vergil (who is much more powerful than Dante) on the harder YELLOW mode.

Q: What does Automatic Mode do?

A: Same as it does in DMC1 (see above).

Q: How do I change / cycle targets?

A: While locked-on (R1), click in the left analog stick (L3) to cycle between targets.

Q: Mission 5 is confusing. I don't know where to go.

A: When you get the ASTRONOMICAL BOARD. Use it at the top of the gear tower. This will allow you to obtain the VAJRA. Use it in the BLUE door room. This will give you the SOUL STEEL. Now you can return to the YELLOW door room and WALK ACROSS THE COLLAPSED BRIDGE.

Q: There are a lot of weapons in this game, any suggestions on what to use?

A: Use what you enjoy and are comfortable with. Access the games FILE menu to learn various actions. Also know that weapon elements are a thing. Much like in the MegaMan games, certain bosses are weak to certain elements. Some are more obvious than others.

Q: Can I move the camera?

A: In many places, you can rotate the camera via the right analog stick. However, the best way to readjust the camera is to make sure you are pressing R1 to lock-on. This will snap the camera to have Dante and the targeted enemy in the same camera view. It's far more effective than using the right analog stick.

Q: DMC3 is kind of hard, can I farm to get more red orbs and to level up my character?

A: Yes. Go to mission menu / mission select and you can replay any previous mission. All red orbs, secrets and experience obtained applies to your main character file, and replaying a previous mission will not overwrite your current progress. In fact, replaying mission 1 for a bit was a tactic a lot of people used in the non-special edition of DMC3 in order to curb it's initial high difficulty curve.

Q: There is this statue in mission 3 on top of a building with red flames. What do I do?

A: That's a combat adjudicator. Destroy it to obtain a blue orb fragment. Use the corresponding weapon to "style" on it to reach a certain rank. The first one in mission 3 requires you to get to B rank in order for you to break it. Mix up your combos and special attacks to build style. Don't repeat combos and special attacks, otherwise the style gauge won't increase. You have to mix up the sequence. Remember air attacks also work.

Q: What style do you recommend?

A: It depends on your playstyle and how comfortable you are with evading. If you demand DMC3 have a dedicated dodge button, Trickster is the way to go. If you have a good grasp on dodging regularly (via R1+Analog Direction+X), then Swordmaster and or Gunslinger is a good choice. Royal Guard is a block and parry style only recommend for those with experience or who have watched a youtube guide instructional video on how to really maximize it's benefit.

Q: The first major boss is hard. Any tips?

A: Use your firearms to break the ice off first before you use your melee weapons to do raw damage. Observe his telegraphed attacks. To avoid his ground AoE attack, remember shooting your guns in the air help keeps Dante afloat longer. Purchase Blue Orbs to increase your maximum vitality.

Q: What about the second boss….?

A: Hint: Get on it's back.

Hope this FAQ helps. (compiled by lowhighkang_LHK)

To celebrate the release of DMC HD Collection, the ResetEra Devil May Cry community is organizing ResetEra's first-ever Style Tournament. Click the banner for more information.

DMC HD Collection PC Essential Tips

-Capping The Framerate To 60hz

Due to the frame rate being tied to logic going above 60 fps will make the game run faster on GYSNC or higher refresh rate monitors.

You can cap the frame rate manually at 60 in two ways:

-Using Nvidia's Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Program Settings > Add ''dmc1.exe'' or any of the game's exe that you'd want to play> Scroll down to Preferred Refresh Rate > Pick Application Controlled > Hit Apply then Done.

-Using MSI Afterburner's built in RivaTuner Statistics. After you've downloaded and installed it, there shoud be a little blue icon down your task bar, open that up and this shoud pop up:
40110069504_2e14471997_o.jpg

From this menu you'd want to click on Add then browse into your DMC HD Folder and select any of the game's exes(dmc1 or 3) then use the ''Framerate Limit'' on the left and type a flat 60.

If you'd like Turbo Mode on DMC1 and make the game run at 120% speed make that a 72 like I did above. It won't brake anything.

Keep in mind that you need MSI Afterburner running while you're playing after applying this.

- Going Above 1080p Resolution
The game's launcher out of the box doesn't display anything 1080p and fixing this one up is pretty easy.

Nagivate to your Windows Documents folder > My Games > Devil May Cry HD Collection > Options.ini

Open it up and you shoud find the following lines:

,"width":1920,"height":1080

Edit them with your desired value, save then you're good to go. The game supports any resolution from 1440p up to 4k.

Sesha you can add this to the OT if you like.

Hello! I just spent the last week assembling this handy video documenting some of the problems with the newest port of DMC1. I hope you'll check it out and pass it along to the DMC Discord or Wbacon if you see fit.

This includes everything from the last two videos plus a bunch of new stuff. To my knowledge none of it has been patched yet. The HD Collection footage comes from the PC version and the PS2 footage comes from PCSX2, but I also have an actual PS2 hooked up in my room as well.

Thanks to Catbus for his hard work.

Last edited:

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes these games are perfectly playable on PC and Ps4/XB1. I played through all of DMC1 on PC (both low end and high end PC) and watched DMC3 on PC and PS4.

Just don't play at above 60 hertz.

This is also objectively the best version of DMC3 on PC.

Resolutions can be upped above 1080P by tinkering with folder settings but I don't recommend it

Oct 25, 2017
Good OT, good FAQ.

Won't be getting to playing this right away, but I'm looking forward to replaying 1 and 3 on PC regardless.

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
I played through 1 and 2 on the PS3 collection just a few weeks ago (first time). Still have 3 to go! But definitely sticking with that collection over buying this one.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I need to bless this thread with the Itsuno prayer:

Itsuno-sama who arth thou at Capcom,
Hallowed be thy controller
Thy mercy come,
Thy game design be done,
in action gaming, as it is stylish
Give us this day our daily action gaming,
and forgive us our scrubbyness,
as we also have forgiven those who are scrubbier.
And lead us not into mediocre action games….
but deliver us #Devil May Cry V .

Amen

Oct 25, 2017
I need to bless this thread with the Itsuno prayer:

Itsuno-sama who arth thou at Capcom,
Hallowed be thy controller
Thy mercy come,
Thy game design be done,
in action gaming, as it is stylish
Give us this day our daily action gaming,
and forgive us our scrubbyness,
as we also have forgiven those who are scrubbier.
And lead us not into mediocre action games….
but deliver us #Devil May Cry V .

Amen

vxRAwo8.gif

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Will probably hold fire on this, they look pretty meh visually to me, feels like a rushed-out HD collection. I'm sure it'll be fun playing them again either way though.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes these games are perfectly playable on PC and Ps4/XB1. I played through all of DMC1 on PC (both low end and high end PC) and watched DMC3 on PC and PS4.

Resolutions can be upped above 1080P by tinkering with folder settings but I don't recommend it
tumblr_lws711jBko1qf40tn.gif

Salty Rice

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pancake City
Im glad that more people gonna finally enjoy the old games especially DMC 2.

If i would describe my childhood in two words it would be "Infested Tank".

Mars People

Comics Council 2020
Oct 25, 2017
Don't buy this shit. Just don't.

They have just crapped out the PS3 version and somehow made it worse.
The menus and the FMVs are all seemingly taken from the PS2 game. And look goddamn awful.
Now the game also has extra audio dsyncs too!

Buyer beware!

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
PSA: Don't be a plebian and miss out on the Shotgun in Mission 2 for Devil May Cry 1. Someone in the DMC discord already missed it...

Jazzem

Feb 2, 2018

How so? Did that for DMC1 and it's been fine so far

PSA: Don't be a plebian and miss out on the Shotgun in Mission 2 for Devil May Cry 1. Someone in the DMC discord already missed it...

...oh crap D:

OP
OP
Sesha

Sesha

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
One improvement of the port is the sound mixing is the best it's been so far.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I can also understand the dialogue in the game without reading subs. Maybe my English is better from when I was 12 as well but I think the dialogue is easier to hear for sure.

Dec 14, 2017
I'm going to pick this up, been meaning to replay DMC1 for several years now. I also never got around to exploring end-game stuff in DMC2 (yes, I actually enjoy it). And of course, a better native pc version of DMC3 is very welcomed.

But... Capcom really put almost zero effort into this HD collection port. It's certainly a cash grab and something quick to drum up interest before DMC5s e3 reveal. I just hope, in the future we'll get a proper remake/remaster and that Capcom knows exactly what they've done here (I know, they don't, it's Capcom).

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
On Mission 5 of DMC1. I still really love this game. In the same way RE7 went back to RE1, I really hope DMCV takes a lot of cues from the structure and progression of the first game. I want that RE structure back again.

DevilNeverCry

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'm live streaming the first game atm and am picking up all the hidden orb fragments and secret missions if anybody wants to know where they all are.