• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Took a look at the japanese website for the HD Collection, these screenshots seem new (and might even be at the final resolution the game will run on consoles, since I think it was confirmed to be 1080p with borders):
area01_ss01.jpg

area01_ss02.jpg

area01_ss03.jpg

area01_ss04.jpg

area01_ss05.jpg
area01_ss06.jpg

Reboot this thread if they're old, though.

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
For a PS2 game it still hold up a lot more than you'd think.
Definitely a case where style can make things last longer graphically.

OP
OP
Adamska

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Imagine this design for DMC5 Dante with modern graphics.
I always loved Dante's visuals in DMC2, and I'd really like to see that amazing outfit redone in modern graphics as well. I still can't believe no DMC game has actually featured that outfit as an extra.
For a PS2 game it still hold up a lot more than you'd think.
Definitely a case where style can make things last longer graphically.
It'd hold up even better if they only upped the res on some textures and re-rendered some of the pre-rendered stuff, but I guess it's too much hassle for this particular re-re-release.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Would it really have killed them to spend a little money to clean this up a bit? The 1080p resolution is also insulting when the games look like this.

Scarf

Oct 27, 2017
It's such a Capcom thing to do to take so shitty screenshots of these games. Yeah, the games have aged poorly but at least take screenshots that show something interesting.

Like that fight against Nelo Angelo. Wtf is that shit? You can't see anything in that picture.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
If you told me this was a current gen game, I'd believe it
No way, lol. Even if you want to be charitable with those textures, that massive PS2/GC-era UI on the second shot is a dead giveaway of when this was made.

I think I might still get this though, because I've still yet to playthrough DMC. Unless there's some reason the PS3 version is better?

OP
OP
Adamska

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
...but why? The DMC4 design is already great.
Particularly, I think DMC4's Dante is an overdesigned mess. And in any case, it's not like designs were maintained from one installment to the other, so it's not like it'd be surprising for Dante to show up with a completely new outfit in a new game.
Like that fight against Nelo Angelo. Wtf is that shit? You can't see anything in that picture.
Isn't his name Nero Angelo? Y'know, like Black Angel in italian?
Save your imagination, I gotcha fam
dmc4ugly.jpg
I remember thinking this was a good looking outfit, even if it's an unflattering facial expression.

OP
OP
Adamska

Adamska

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why do people hate PS2 graphics now?
I don't think anyone is hating on PS2 graphics in this thread. It's only that we've had examples of remastered PS2 games where a little nip/tuck went a long way to making said games look better, such as ICO, SOTC or even the GOW games (PS2 and PSP) on the PS3, whereas this collection seems to be a more bare effort (i.e., simply increasing resolution).

Melkezadek

Oct 27, 2017
Imagine this design for DMC5 Dante with modern graphics.

Looking forward to playing best dressed Dante. Yea yea game isn't amazing, but I still enjoy/ed it. Liked the stylish showy off gun mechanics. Wall running and flipping around felt cool. It's not unplayable, but it's kinda dull admittingly. Lucia was a really cool character I hope we see in the future again.

BasilZero

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Omni
DMC2 looks bad regardless of what platform it is on at least from the two or three screenshots from the OP

Getting this for DMC 1 and one of the GOAT devil may cry 3

Waddle Dee

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
California
These games looked like ass on 360/PS3 and they look even worse in 1080p.

At least DMC1 and DMC3 are still godlike games, even if they look like shit. DMC1 is also backed by some nice art direction for many of its environments.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
That 4th screen looks like a low budget anime game...

ehh, but then again, I'll still buy it so whatever.

Hexadron

Oct 25, 2017
If one already has the PS3 HD versions, besides being higher res to 1080p any other benefits to this? I honestly thought they would be revamping some of the textures, but it looks the same to my eyes.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Looks like it's playing on Vita

I mean, it looks almost identical to Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD on Vita