• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I had my Saturn fired up, and I love Soul Hackers, so I decided to do this for kicks.

All screenshots are mine, original hardware.

This is a 1996 Sega Saturn hooked up to an Insignia HDTV through composite if it matters.

So originally I figured that since the Saturn version has larger portraits, the backgrounds would have more detail on the original version.

Boy was I wrong.

Opening
DOeh-6BUIAAAzyx.jpg

DOeh-6bU8AAiLYO.jpg

DOeh-6CUQAARAG_.jpg

DOeh-6GV4AALvY0.jpg

DOeiHgUVAAE0Hxf.jpg

DOeiHgXU8AERl9T.jpg

DOeiHgYV4AASQxE.jpg

DOeiHgXU8AMn4FT.jpg

Introduction:
DOeiQpGVwAAeKYc.jpg

DOeiQpEU8AE5miP.jpg

DOeiQpFUQAAb0df.jpg

Hitomi & Hardcore Hackin:
DOeie8VUIAEcbVg.jpg

DOeie8XUQAA3yvo.jpg

DOeie8YUEAAuMKh.jpg

DOeik1nVoAAV8EJ.jpg

DOeik1pVQAAl8AK.jpg

DOeik1nU8AA7SJj.jpg

This is where I realized something.

DOejR0wVwAEHb7c.jpg

The 3DS version uses larger resolution backgrounds, so you actually see MORE of the picture in the re-release.

Presumably they had access to the original assets, meaning this is way more of a definitive version than I thought.

Name Entry:

DOeoyklVQAAXm_K.jpg

DOeoyknVoAEl8Fw.jpg

DOeoykoUEAA7Qyq.jpg

DOeoyknUMAE9msU.jpg

Paradigm Open Beta/Meeting the Parents:

DOeo6D_U8AAHZoc.jpg

DOeo6ECVQAA50XY.jpg

DOeo6EAUEAAv1GL.jpg

DOeo6EBU8AA93Y8.jpg

Did you notice a change there?...

DOepH2NVQAUvpKd.jpg

They changed the protagonist's phone. Hardcore hacker upgrade!

Meeting the family:

DOepScyVQAARRsO.jpg

DOepSc0UEAABVk5.jpg

Last but not least, Spooky Mail & the world map comparison:
DOepoXWUQAEOb4Y.jpg

DOepphVUMAAFAAR.jpg

DOepphVVQAUpHC2.jpg

DOepphWV4AAvBne.jpg

It's especially clear with the world map, this is the definitive version of Soul Hackers. (Garbage 3DS audio quality aside)

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
This was pretty well-covered in the magazine coverage leading up to the Japanese release. The 3DS version is fantastic.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Tried this ages back and couldn't really get into it, still super cool that they remade this game especially since even in japan I imagine not many smt fans played it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This was pretty well-covered in the magazine coverage leading up to the Japanese release. The 3DS version is fantastic.
Yeah, based on watching videos of the original, the only gripe I have about the 3DS version is that the battles are TOO fast. Faster than the painfully slow ones in the original, but too fast to really see the animations.

Aeana

Oct 25, 2017
Soul Hackers enjoyed a time in my #1 space for the series for a little while. Long ago. It's found a home at a more permanent #3 over the years. SMT3, SMT2, Soul Hackers. My favorites. All of them are so wonderful.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm proud Soul Hackers was my first 3DS game. It would be nice if Atlus port other obscure Megaten titles, too

Vamphuntr

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah with the screens in the OP it really seems like the 3DS is the definitive edition. Pretty sure the battle UI is better in the 3DS version too.

you guys are really making me want to replay this dang it

Yeah, this. If my backlog wasn't so big and with Xenoblade 2 coming I don't have time for it right now but it's really a good game. Played it for the first time at launch on 3DS and loved it.

They've never made a port of the original devil summoner because they've lost the source code, right? I know it's supposed to be not very good but they could make a remake and improve on it. I really want to play it but Japanese Megaten games are a bit daunting for me.

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
Yeah with the screens in the OP it really seems like the 3DS is the definitive edition. Pretty sure the battle UI is better in the 3DS version too.

Yeah, this. If my backlog wasn't so big and with Xenoblade 2 coming I don't have time for it right now but it's really a good game. Played it for the first time at launch on 3DS and loved it.

They've never made a port of the original devil summoner because they've lost the source code, right? I know it's supposed to be not very good but they could make a remake and improve on it. I really want to play it but Japanese Megaten games are a bit daunting for me.
I have the Saturn version of the original too.

Daunting doesn't even begin to describe that game. It's savage.

RoyaleDuke

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nowhere
Soulhackers and Strange Journey are both my favorite SMT titles.

Fantastic games, the 3DS version really is the definitive one, new translation and better assets.

aerie

wonky
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I sold my copy of this on the 3DS, huge regret. I'd really love to play it again.

Oct 26, 2017
Funny this topic should come up, I just started playing Soul Hackers again late last night. I agree that the game looks fantastic on 3DS but I had no idea how well it stacked up against the Saturn version. I also think the game's use of stereoscopic 3D, while simple, is very effective for the 1st person exploration.

It is a shame about the audio quality, though. The voices tend to be so quiet that I end up feeling compelled to play it with headphones.

IrishNinja

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Vice City
OP is my dude, and i support this cause

i slept on soul hackers on saturn for years, was super hyped for the 3DS one but wasnt ready to sink time into it...i really gotta correct that soon!
is it as tough (time wise) as some of the other SMT spinoffs?

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
I'm guessing this is in regards to Deep Strange Journey. Always been interested in the game, but never got around to playing it. Is the remaster that bad?

Just play the original. It's that bad.
OP is my dude, and i support this cause

i slept on soul hackers on saturn for years, was super hyped for the 3DS one but wasnt ready to sink time into it...i really gotta correct that soon!
is it as tough (time wise) as some of the other SMT spinoffs?
Nope. SH is one of the easier games in the series.

EndingE

Nov 8, 2017
This is interesting as someone who never owned a Saturn.

(And I need to get back into SH. I reached somewhere right in the middle of it before I got sidetracked by other games YEARS ago.)

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
Tried this ages back and couldn't really get into it, still super cool that they remade this game especially since even japan I'd imagine not many smt fans played it.

Yea same here. I loved the setting, 90s era cyberpunk aesthetic resonated deeply with me but unfortunately it felt like that's all the game had. A dungeon crawler that isn't demanding is like a hamburger without the meat for me.

The moment I saw Zelenin blush in Deep Strange Journey, I cried.
Just play the original. It's that bad.

Welp, that's a shame. :(

dreamlongdead

Nov 5, 2017
Cool comparison.

Sadly, I was never compelled to pick this up on 3DS and will likely just skip it at this point.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
Man this thread is making me want to bust out the 3ds copy I have and finish it.

Also how bad is Deep Strange Journey? is it like completely undermines characters bad or nothing is sacred we changed everything bad?

'3y Kingdom

Oct 27, 2017
It's a fantastic remake in every respect. I have no confidence that Deep Strange Journey will be the same.

Luckily, the original Strange Journey is already fantastic and hardly in need of an update (though I'm sure many would appreciate a nerf to the final boss).

Augemitbutter

Oct 25, 2017
could be better on some parts, but i always thought the demons were rather tiny which impacted my enjoyment. game wasn't made for a tiny screen after all. that's what stood out to me from the beginning. i haven't played the saturn version.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
Wait are they making Strange Journey more anime? Like waifu shit?
No. Doi took over as lead character artist and redrew all of the human character portraits in the game in addition to the creation of a new character exclusive to the remake. The change in style is very noticeable, but your tolerance for it will vary depending on your taste, I guess.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
No. Doi took over as lead character artist and redrew all of the human character portraits in the game in addition to the creation of a new character exclusive to the remake. The change in style is very noticeable, but your tolerance for it will vary depending on your taste, I guess.
meh, why couldn't they just keep the old art? I'll still buy it but I have noticed a quality drop in atlus character art recently, smt 4 final in particular was a massive drop in quality compared to smt 4.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
meh, why couldn't they just keep the old art? I'll still buy it but I have noticed a quality drop in atlus character art recently, smt 4 final in particular was a massive drop in quality compared to smt 4.
Again, they created a new character, and Doi's style would have clashed wildly against Kaneko's character art, so that's one reason. As for any technical reason why they'd do it, I'm not sure.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Soul Hackers was too tough for me to figure out :S
I might give it another replay in the future though and aim to finish it.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I...actually prefer Doi's art nine times out of ten. Kaneko has never done it for me.

Menx64

Oct 30, 2017
Soulhackers and Strange Journey are both my favorite SMT titles.

Fantastic games, the 3DS version really is the definitive one, new translation and better assets.

Ditto. Unfortunately I havent really played other megaten games, but SH, SJ, SMTIV and SMTIV Apo (Not counting spin offs.) I hope Atlus remakes the old games with the same quality as SH.

The moment I saw Zelenin blush in Deep Strange Journey, I cried.

Is DSJ as good as a remake as SH 3DS to the Saturn Game? I preordered the game, since I loved SJ when it came out, so I hope it retains all good things and same sentimient.

ShinkuTachi

Oct 29, 2017
I had my Saturn fired up, and I love Soul Hackers, so I decided to do this for kicks.

All screenshots are mine, original hardware.

This is a 1996 Sega Saturn hooked up to an Insignia HDTV through composite if it matters.

So originally I figured that since the Saturn version has larger portraits, the backgrounds would have more detail on the original version.

Boy was I wrong.

Opening
DOeh-6BUIAAAzyx.jpg

DOeh-6bU8AAiLYO.jpg

DOeh-6CUQAARAG_.jpg

DOeh-6GV4AALvY0.jpg

DOeiHgUVAAE0Hxf.jpg

DOeiHgXU8AERl9T.jpg

DOeiHgYV4AASQxE.jpg

DOeiHgXU8AMn4FT.jpg

Introduction:
DOeiQpGVwAAeKYc.jpg

DOeiQpEU8AE5miP.jpg

DOeiQpFUQAAb0df.jpg

Hitomi & Hardcore Hackin:
DOeie8VUIAEcbVg.jpg

DOeie8XUQAA3yvo.jpg

DOeie8YUEAAuMKh.jpg

DOeik1nVoAAV8EJ.jpg

DOeik1pVQAAl8AK.jpg

DOeik1nU8AA7SJj.jpg

This is where I realized something.

DOejR0wVwAEHb7c.jpg

The 3DS version uses larger resolution backgrounds, so you actually see MORE of the picture in the re-release.

Presumably they had access to the original assets, meaning this is way more of a definitive version than I thought.

Name Entry:

DOeoyklVQAAXm_K.jpg

DOeoyknVoAEl8Fw.jpg

DOeoykoUEAA7Qyq.jpg

DOeoyknUMAE9msU.jpg

Paradigm Open Beta/Meeting the Parents:

DOeo6D_U8AAHZoc.jpg

DOeo6ECVQAA50XY.jpg

DOeo6EAUEAAv1GL.jpg

DOeo6EBU8AA93Y8.jpg

Did you notice a change there?...

DOepH2NVQAUvpKd.jpg

They changed the protagonist's phone. Hardcore hacker upgrade!

Meeting the family:

DOepScyVQAARRsO.jpg

DOepSc0UEAABVk5.jpg

Last but not least, Spooky Mail & the world map comparison:
DOepoXWUQAEOb4Y.jpg

DOepphVUMAAFAAR.jpg

DOepphVVQAUpHC2.jpg

DOepphWV4AAvBne.jpg

It's especially clear with the world map, this is the definitive version of Soul Hackers. (Garbage 3DS audio quality aside)

Awesome job taking the time to put all this together! Seriously, this is great!
One console that I really regret missing out on was the Saturn, but I made sure to pick up the 3DS version of Soul Hackers when it came out.

Out of curiosity, do you think there is a chance we will ever see a rerelease of the first Devil Summoner or is my best option to grab the PSP version?

gigaslash

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Jesus Christ, I forgot how ugly SH is back on Saturn/PSone. 3DS version is great.
Together with SMT2 easily the best game Atlus has ever made.

Dragon1893

Oct 25, 2017
I'm doing my best to fight the urge to replay this and you're not helping.
Thanks for the pics, sometimes I look at the game sitting on my shelf and find it hard to believe it was actually localized.

Gestalt

The Fallen
Nov 10, 2017
Great game, cool to see that the remake is actually pretty good. Why didn't Strange Journey get the same treatment?

OP
OP
cj_iwakura

cj_iwakura

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coral Springs, FL
It wasn't just Doi. Someone else did most of the cast and the style difference is jarring. Soejima did SH's original portraits, I believe, so it wasn't as drastic a change.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Soul Hackers is one of my favorite 3DS games. Love the 90s cyberpunk vibes, characters and story are good and it's a fun romp. I have never played the Saturn version but it would have been interesting to compare. Details do look better on 3DSs.

Tailzo

Oct 27, 2017
Awesome comparison :) I'm in the mood for a smt game. I look forward to the Switch game :)

Egida

Oct 27, 2017
Loved it on 3DS. I have this SMT itch because I wrongly thought that Strange Journey Redux was coming this month to the west (why, oh why?!), and replaying Soul Hackers could be a good fix.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The 3ds version is a great version of a great game. I'd love some more SMT cyberpunk.