• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So I saw the series due to my friend's recommendation and by golly, this anime is too edgy. The first episode already shows nudity and drugs so I thought ok, maybe this edgy but wowzers the next episodes or scenes ramped it up. Just when you thought you saw something too violent or tragic, the next episode ramps it up a notch. Wow....

Was the previous Devilman edgier or darker than this? I know it's rated MA but I underestimated it. I'm not saying this anime sucks or it's bad. I'm just surprised about how dark this anime really is. This is not for viewers who expect happy ending or hope at all.

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
It' edgy but it does let some hope shine through every now and then which I liked a lot. Over all it was super good

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
So I saw the series due to my friend's recommendation and by golly, this anime is too edgy. The first episode already shows nudity and drugs so I thought ok, maybe this edgy but wowzers the next episodes or scenes ramped it up. Just when you thought you saw something too violent or tragic, the next episode ramps it up a notch. Wow....

Was the previous Devilman edgier or darker than this? I know it's rated MA but I underestimated it. I'm not saying this anime sucks or it's bad. I'm just surprised about how dark this anime really is. This is not for viewers who expect happy ending or hope at all.
anime was basically a different version, way more child oriented. the OVA, on the other hand, was pretty faithful to the manga, so still violent as hell.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
there's a thread for this anime already.

the original manga came out in 1972. of course this is darker and more frank in some of it's depictions (sex and drug use) but the original was very shocking for the time. the TV series basically just shares some of the same monsters and naming conventions-- it's a drastically different series all together.

The 80s OVAs and Amon are VERY dark and violent.

Oct 25, 2017
It's based on the original manga, and hits a lot of the same plot beats as that. It's not as sexualized (there's still nudity but not to the extent this was) and it's more "monster of the week" until the final parts.

The original anime was nothing like this. It was bloody but Ryo was nowhere to be seen.
The OVAs were bloody as hell, but never finished so we never got that ending.

Now if Netflix does a Violence Jack sequel, people are going to get fuuuuucked up

Deleted member 7156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
there's a thread for this anime already.

the original manga came out in 1972. of course this is darker and more frank in some of it's depictions (sex and drug use) but the original was very shocking for the time. the TV series basically just shares some of the same monsters and naming conventions-- it's a drastically different series all together.

The 80s OVAs and Amon are VERY dark and violent.

Honestly the more shocking and graphical parts of Crybaby are directly lifted from the manga.

Miki dismembered to death comes to mind

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
This show has a ton of sex/nudity but I think most of it isn't used for titillation.

I freaking loved it and thought that the ending was one of the strongest endings I've seen in an anime.

Also, the original manga looks like it's a treat:
yDI0Jta.png

And the older OVA also seems like it's fun:

Oct 27, 2017
It's definitely the darkest anime I've watched but I don't know of I'd call it the most edgy. The mature subject matter and dark plit seem to serve the story as opposed to existing for its own sake.

OP
OP
GFP_RYU

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I learned from this anime that when you watch this, do not expect any happiness at all. The last episode nails it to the coffin.

Oct 25, 2017
This show has a ton of sex/nudity but I think most of it isn't used for titillation.

I freaking loved it and thought that the ending was one of the strongest endings I've seen in an anime.

yDI0Jta.png

The manga is a product of its time to an extent but it holds up well overall.
--
Show has a good sense of humor about it. It was a fun sit. Think it starts to fall apart a bit nearer to the end but nothing major.

Ninjimbo

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Gotta admit, the ending fucked me up for awhile. I was left wondering what could have been and why anything like that had to happen.

It made me wish I was a Devilman.

Oct 27, 2017
I couldn't get past the first episode. The pace was too fast and the characters just seemed like tools to get the plot rolling as fast as they could. Turned me off to the rest of the series. Was no time to breathe, and this is coming from a guy who has a proclivity towards fast paced shows/movies.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
I wish I could like it. The animation, music and overall style is great, but it just comes off as depressing and nothing else. I have never experienced a piece of media that goes where Crybaby goes that has felt anything but unsatisfying to me. The character development (what little there was) was not worth the pain and torment along the way.

I need some kind of levity to actually enjoy what I'm watching.

EDIT: By the sounds of things, I'd hate Violence Jack even more.

OP
OP
GFP_RYU

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You should watch Evangelion OP i think youd like it.

I love Evangelion. I did not however watched the last episode because in the Philippines, they did not show it. But I dunno, Crybaby is darkest IMO.

And I would like to add it's also a sad anime. What I mean is when you watch and get to know the characters and what develops, you would ask your self, why?

Netflix is not joking around on showing good anime. Hopefully they will show Mazinger Z Infinity next hehe

Maximo

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't feel much at the end of it needed a few more episodes for me to get really invested in the characters for the gut punch to matter more, maybe im just used that type of anime/manga, something like Beserk was *worse*.

Last edited:

Mrfluffypuff

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I just finished watching it 3 days ago and I definitely say, there's pretty fucked up shit. But the ending of episode 9 man...I was just staring at the Netflix screen blankly for a couple minutes and recuperating from that one scene.

LMAO, this dub is too real.

Convasse

Oct 26, 2017
Atlanta, GA, USA
I watched up to episode 4 and decided it wasn't for me. Maybe I've gotten soft, but I just don't want to internalize any more brutality in my media. Not good for my mind-space.

OP
OP
GFP_RYU

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yup, I just finished watching it 3 days ago and I definitely say, there's pretty fucked up shit. But the ending of episode 9 man...I was just staring at the Netflix screen blankly for a couple minutes and recuperating from that one scene.

I know, right? Who would have thought they would do that?

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Damn I was gonna mention Violence Jack, but others already did.

I do not recommend watching Violence Jack. But it's way more EDGE than anything in Devilman Crybaby.

Finaj

Oct 25, 2017
Also, this show engaged in a trope that I really hate:

Miki's death comes off (IMO) as the "woman-in-the-fridge trope," where a female character important to the protagonist is tortured/killed to spur the hero into action. Granted, it comes later in the story and Miki is considerably more developed than most characters inhabiting this trope, it still annoyed me. After that I was just like "alright, let's end this. We can't come back from that." (Come to think of it, it's also my major problem with the Killing Joke).

Oct 25, 2017

Miki's death comes off (IMO) as the "woman-in-the-fridge trope," where a female character important to the protagonist is tortured/killed to spur the hero into action. Granted, it comes later in the story and Miki is considerably more developed than most characters inhabiting this trope, it still annoyed me. After that I was just like "alright, let's end this. We can't come back from that." (Come to think of it, it's also my major problem with the Killing Joke).
I get what you're saying but the main point is to kill every supporting character off before the end battle and Miki is the main supporting character. It's house cleaning to make sure Akira has nothing and no one.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH

this predated that specific trope by quite some time. the function of her death and the brutality of it serves a much more significant point to the story rather than just being a thing done by a villain to elicit a reaction from a hero.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017

yDI0Jta.png

LMAO this looks like that WHO IS DRIVING, OHMYGOD BEAR IS DRIVING bit from the Clerks cartoon. Damn, old manga looks weird.

OP
OP
GFP_RYU

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I get what you're saying but the main point is to kill every supporting character off before the end battle and Miki is the main supporting character. It's house cleaning to make sure Akira has nothing and no one.

And this anime did it in the most insane way that I hnever imagined. Wowzers....

Hopefully Netflix gets more anime . Heck, let them get Evangelion so I can watch the last episode.

Status
Not open for further replies.