• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 9, 2017
Devilman Crybaby didnt make me feel anything since I had already seen the OVA's and didn't like the new art style very much. I was just mainly in it to see if I like the modern day changes and was pretty happy, but still greatly prefer the older works.

Yasuke

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also, this show engaged in a trope that I really hate:

Miki's death comes off (IMO) as the "woman-in-the-fridge trope," where a female character important to the protagonist is tortured/killed to spur the hero into action. Granted, it comes later in the story and Miki is considerably more developed than most characters inhabiting this trope, it still annoyed me. After that I was just like "alright, let's end this. We can't come back from that." (Come to think of it, it's also my major problem with the Killing Joke).

I'd agree if the show hadn't ended with everyone dying. It isn't even just her death that pushes him by the end, either; her family and his parents have all died by the beginning of the last episode.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Devilman Crybaby hurt me.

But in a good way. I'm glad I watched it.

Eventually I went from hating Satan to feeling bad for him.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is the animation intentionally really bad? I tried watching but I couldn't because it looked like an Adult Swim budget show.

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
So I saw the series due to my friend's recommendation and by golly, this anime is too edgy. The first episode already shows nudity and drugs so I thought ok, maybe this edgy but wowzers the next episodes or scenes ramped it up. Just when you thought you saw something too violent or tragic, the next episode ramps it up a notch. Wow....

Was the previous Devilman edgier or darker than this? I know it's rated MA but I underestimated it. I'm not saying this anime sucks or it's bad. I'm just surprised about how dark this anime really is. This is not for viewers who expect happy ending or hope at all.
The English dub of the original Devilman was one of those dubs just filled to the brim with a shit ton of gratuitous cursing.

Deleted member 18360

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Miki's death comes off (IMO) as the "woman-in-the-fridge trope," where a female character important to the protagonist is tortured/killed to spur the hero into action. Granted, it comes later in the story and Miki is considerably more developed than most characters inhabiting this trope, it still annoyed me. After that I was just like "alright, let's end this. We can't come back from that." (Come to think of it, it's also my major problem with the Killing Joke).

That would only be true if Miki had little significance beyond her relation to Akira, when if anything it seems to go the other way. Her death brings the broader themes of the show to form, because when confronted with her death, we then have to decide whether the ideals that Miki stood for, or even humanity itself, can be erased by that kind of brutality, or not. And that's basically the question that the show leaves us with.

Last edited:

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is the animation intentionally really bad? I tried watching but I couldn't because it looked like an Adult Swim budget show.
Fucking thank you, I felt like I was going crazy when people were legit saying the animation was really good when I posted I couldn't get past the first episode cause it was so bad.

Me and my GF looked at each other about 9 minutes into the first ep and were like "wtf are we even watching, people got paid to do this?"

Deleted member 135

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fucking thank you, I felt like I was going crazy when people were legit saying the animation was really good when I posted I couldn't get past the first episode cause it was so bad.

Me and my GF looked at each other about 9 minutes into the first ep and were like "wtf are we even watching, people got paid to do this?"
It almost reminds me of China, Il.

Pandora012

Oct 25, 2017
lmao, those are quite the choices... I'm halfway through Devilman, and so far the violence / nudity hasn't phased me much.

For Crybaby, the violence didn't phase me much at first. It's just later on in the series where the violence and the events that took place got to me. Like what happened was just fucked up. That's all I can really say about it.

Deleted member 26394

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Are you guys talking about the way it moves or the way it looks (the style)? Either way, I disagree, but I could understand any problem you have with the latter.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Are you guys talking about the way it moves or the way it looks (the style)? Either way, I disagree, but I could understand any problem you have with the latter.

Mostly the way it looks, but also the way it moves. It look generally low rent af like something someone would put together for Newgrounds back in 2001.

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
Mostly the way it looks, but also the way it moves. It look generally low rent af like something someone would put together for Newgrounds back in 2001.
If you have never watched a Yuasa show before this is how he and his team likes to animate the shows he works on and is the usual style/look of it. It is done intentionally.

Oct 27, 2017
Devilman is so insanely bleak that I actually tracked down Violence Jack BECAUSE it has a happier ending with the Devilman/Satan rematch...

I repeat. VIOLENCE JACK has the happy ending.
Funny how that works. I heard about Devilman from Violence Jack but Devilman's world looked like a normal action story. After watching this and reading the original comic I was proven wrong. This is much more dark and sad.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If you have never watched a Yuasa show before this is how he and his team likes to animate the shows he works on and is the usual style/look of it. It is done intentionally.

Looked up Yuasa cause I'm not an anime nerd, found out they did Ping Pong too which... now that I think about it makes sense. Weird though that I really liked Ping Pong (especially the action animation) and am now even more confused as to why Devilman Crybaby looks as poor as it does.

Nov 13, 2017
If you want something else to put out the flame of joy in your heart, watch Vampire Princess Miyu (TV). It's on Hulu. I was way too young to be watching it when I did. Jigoku Shojo is also really good.

Last edited:

Schwinner

Oct 28, 2017
Looked up Yuasa cause I'm not an anime nerd, found out they did Ping Pong too which... now that I think about it makes sense. Weird though that I really liked Ping Pong (especially the action animation) and am now even more confused as to why Devilman Crybaby looks as poor as it does.
I won't say Devilman Crybaby did not have production issues, cause it seemed to run into more bumps than usual and reusing animation. But it still, IMO, has a solid foundation and amazingly animated moments I expected of a Yuasa show, so I did not have many issues with it. Also some episodes were key animated by only 1 person in this show (don't know if Ping Pong did the same thing). But I assume probably because Yuasa could not get as many people on board this time to come work on the show. The Anime industry is packed to the brim with making shows right now so people may be stretched more thin than usual. Budget doesn't matter much with anime. It is all about the talent brought on board that makes the quality of it. It is a misconception people usually make as most anime on TV have similar budgets

Oct 27, 2017
It's no Bible Black or Urotsukidoji

Edit: sorry, forgot to add they are "grimdark, edgy" since those are the only adjectives allowed in this thread

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I stopped watching like 5 minutes into the first episode because the artstyle seemed really lazy.

Animation != artstyle

I get saying that you don't like the artstyle. That's fine, it's not for everyone. But saying the animation is actually bad is factually wrong. It's well animated, just you don't like the artsyle of said animation, which is fine.
One of the first scenes is literally a still image of a character being dragged through a still environment. No animations beyond moving X and Y coordinates of still objects.

Maybe it gets better later on. But maybe they should do a better job of not scaring people off with how terrible the opening scenes of the show look.

From what I saw, it looked low budget as hell.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
I really wished I hadn't seen the OVAs or read the manga before watching this so that I could feel the dread of the ending like you guys have experienced.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
One of the first scenes is literally a still image of a character being dragged through a still environment. No animations beyond moving X and Y coordinates of still objects.
You mean the scene of a guy travelling on a travelator? You've been to an airport right? People tend to stand still on them. Which I should note is over 5 minutes into the show, meaning you ignored a lot of animation up to that point.

Oct 25, 2017

I think Miki's death is more nuanced than the way women get fridged historically. Miki isn't killed off to motivate Akira into action against a villain. Miki's death symbolized the death of everything good in the world. It's the death of hope that this story could possibly have a happy ending. Without her there's nothing left but apocalyptic march toward extinction.

JoJo'sDentCo

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 25, 2017
Devilman anime also takes elements from Devilman Lady manga, that is even more depressing. Except rape scenes it also narrates personal stories of individuals who become demons. That wasnt in the original Devilman manga. Especially her rival, from which Miko was inspired, was a victim of domestic sex abuse by her own father while also blamed by her mother.

As for more depressing TV series, at least Devilman had some humor and darkness culminated in the last part.

Berserk, Texhnolyze, Boogiepop Phantom and Requiem from the Darkness and Vampire Miyu TV have depressing moments in all episodes. No humour at all.
Berserk has lots of humor...

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
havent watched many have ya OP :/

Don't get me wrong OP, Crybaby is good by all means...but its always amusing to me to have people listing the newest or mainstream series out there on "top 10 best" lists and such.

For those of us going through the 2000s, 90s, 80s and even 70s, its not exactly something accurate

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
OP, this person has trash taste. Eva is incredible. Check it out.
JoJo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eva. Show clearly hampered by budget issues. Nonsensical story with no character development in protag. Eva spoiler
Also what is the justification for a giant vagina monster with eyeballs n vaginas in its hands. Like why? Literally nothing happens in the show except for having everyone die.Its edgy for the sake of being edgy and thats it. Edgy can be good, but not "lol look at all these mentally ill characters, ok they're dead now."

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
JoJo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Eva. Show clearly hampered by budget issues. Nonsensical story with no character development in protag.
Also what is the justification for a giant vagina monster with eyeballs n vaginas in its hands. Like why? Literally nothing happens in the show except for having everyone die.Its edgy for the sake of being edgy and thats it. Edgy can be good, but not "lol look at all these mentally ill characters, ok they're dead now."
I can't tell if your spoiler is about JoJo, Devilman Crybaby, or Evangelion.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
My issue with Devilman is how dark (actually dark, opposite of light) it is.. There are entire fight scene in the dark. CANT SEE SHIT CAPTAIN... I guess they fight but its such wasted animation...

Aske

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canadia
Gotta admit, the ending fucked me up for awhile. I was left wondering what could have been and why anything like that had to happen.

It made me wish I was a Devilman.

I thought the same thing. After I watched this great anime I was in my school gym class, and I thought "okay baby, let's DO THIS" quietly to myself. We were practising doing relay runs passing the baton. I had flashbacks of Miki, so pure and full of light and joy and quite pretty and respectful. When the baton was fingered to me, all I could think of was passing it to Ryo, my good friend whom I most love. Then I don't know something hit me in my heart's chest, like the icy chill of snowflakes on a long lost child's smile in the cold winter, but at the same time I was burning hot fire in my chest and please excuse me but also in my crotch. And IDK I just started running harder, harder and harder, harder and harder and harder, and I was on all fours just like the Devilmen and woman do it in the show! Like how the show is real and the old 70s show is fake and in the show, I think maybe the story was real and of course now the show is fake to use the common parlance. Almost like a prophecy. But please don't worry about me. I've been watching the news, scanning for activity of you-know-what, and checking social media and when the call comes I will answer the call even though it may be futile because all of life is futile anyway, humans are so stupid and it's very sad but also makes me quite pissed off pretty much all the time even before I took over the body of a demon. It's very hard life, and I have bad dreams just like Akira Fudo-sama, and I fight the urges almost every day, probably five days out of every seven days usually at school is when my violent thought is triggered. But even when humans are stupid to me I just laugh and think "fuck you" and run away on all fours faster than a lightning.

It was some kind of demonic influence and I'm glad I told you all even though I know some of you may laugh too at me. And you know what I'll have to say? "Fuck you"!!! because I don't actually care what any of you believe but please listen to me for your own sake and I'll swear I'm saying the truth.

Status
Not open for further replies.