• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stantastic

Oct 25, 2017
Yall aint seen nothing till you seen GenoCyber

do not watch genocyber unless you are already a bit dead inside

also i dont think edgy is right. dark certainly, but how it treats its moralty, mainly with a protagonist being pretty much pure good despite all his gleeful violence, really takes the edges off a lot.

Sub Boss

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Hellsing Ultimate isn't as edgy but it was mucho awesome
images

OP
OP
GFP_RYU

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Let me say this. The violence of Crybaby, I'm not surprised but the violence towards the unexpected got me really surprised.

PKthndr

Oct 25, 2017
Devilman was inspiration for Berserk and Evangelion. It has pretty dark subject matter hahaha. But there is a lot more too it than that just like Berserk and Evangelion.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
I just watched episode 8, I enjoyed the world building and the monster of the week aspects up to that point but god damn that escalated quickly.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So how much Devilman gore we talkin? is it like the old ova series but in nightmarish 4k?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
It suffers from being a bit too compressed at the end, but otherwise it's great.
2 more episodes covering the apocalyptic final war, as humanity comes to grips with the fact that it's losing and faces the inevitable end, would've really done good. Could've shown more of that Devilman army.

Oct 26, 2017
Edgy is the last word I would use to describe Devilman Crybaby.

The anime doesn't wallow and parade its nudity and violence like a badge of honor.

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Y'all are crazy like, what does it compare to animation wise? The characters are poorly drawn and the backgrounds were bland and the frame rate was slideshow

Harken Raiser

Oct 25, 2017
It's not edgy, but Casshern Sins is a super nihilistic anime you might want to check out it you haven't, OP.

OP
OP
GFP_RYU

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's not edgy, but Casshern Sins is a super nihilistic anime you might want to check out it you haven't, OP.

I'll take a gander. Right now I'll watch some wholesome anime first hahaha. I will watch Violence Jack and Genocyber then I will check out Casshern sins. For now, I'll be looking for Mazinger Z Infinity.

Off topic but Crunchyroll worth it for monthly sub? I plan to watch DBZ Super and some other anime.

Deleted member 18360

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'll take a gander. Right now I'll watch some wholesome anime first hahaha. I will watch Violence Jack and Genocyber then I will check out Casshern sins. For now, I'll be looking for Mazinger Z Infinity.

Off topic but Crunchyroll worth it for monthly sub? I plan to watch DBZ Super and some other anime.

Watch Ping Pong, if you haven't already. It has the same director and it's wholesome af.

Kaiba, too, actually.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is it that edgy? My roommate was idling on the Netflix menu a few days ago and we heard some character completely earnestly go "I'm a human...but I'm also a DEVIL!" or something like that. I don't remember the exact line of dialogue, because we both burst out laughing full volume at how dorky it sounded. Just something about that voice actor's delivery combined with the actual written line itself made it seem like it was going to be a comedy and not a drama, despite the art style.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is it that edgy? My roommate was idling on the Netflix menu a few days ago and we heard some character completely earnestly go "I'm a human...but I'm also a DEVIL!" or something like that. I don't remember the exact line of dialogue, because we both burst out laughing full volume at how dorky it sounded. Just something about that voice actor's delivery combined with the actual written line itself made it seem like it was going to be a comedy and not a drama, despite the art style.

Its one of the inspirations for things like Berserk. Its not a comedy at all.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all are crazy like, what does it compare to animation wise? The characters are poorly drawn and the backgrounds were bland and the frame rate was slideshow

Animation != artstyle

I get saying that you don't like the artstyle. That's fine, it's not for everyone. But saying the animation is actually bad is factually wrong. It's well animated, just you don't like the artsyle of said animation, which is fine.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of dark, I don't think anything will ever compare to Midori... It just leaves you feeling nauseated by how terrible everything happening in it is.

220px-MidoriDVD.jpg

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
It was pretty fucked up, the little brother parts in particular were completely brutal

That said the ending of Berserk was even more devastating to me

Renpatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe that line just didn't work, then. Because man, I don't think I've laughed that hard at something anime-related in years. Definitely not at something deliberately comedic.
It's occasionally, very deliberately comedic and self aware. But that line reading could of course have just been awkward out of context.

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe that line just didn't work, then. Because man, I don't think I've laughed that hard at something anime-related in years. Definitely not at something deliberately comedic.
"I'm not a demon! I'm a Devilman! I have the heart of a human!"

Yeah, he says that a couple of times. The dub is super cheesy.

Akira is how you do a goody-two-shoes characters right. I dunno what made him so much more fun and interesting to watch compared to all the other protagonists of the same archetype.

RatskyWatsky

Are we human or are we dancer?
Oct 25, 2017

Most of the dialog is at that level btw. It's honestly pretty poorly written (or maybe the English translation is just bad. I noticed several errors in the subtitling).

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"I'm not a demon! I'm a Devilman! I have the heart of a human!"

Yeah, he says that a couple of times. The dub is super cheesy.

Akira is how you do a goody-two-shoes characters right. I dunno what made him so much more fun and interesting to watch compared to all the other protagonists of the same archetype.

That's exactly what it was. My roommate is a way, way bigger anime fan than me (he managed to make it all the way through Neo Yokio, I couldn't even finish an episode) and even he was just cackling at that line.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
That's exactly what it was. My roommate is a way, way bigger anime fan than me (he managed to make it all the way through Neo Yokio, I couldn't even finish an episode) and even he was just cackling at that line.
Yeah, it's kind of a literal translation thing. In lieu of human/demon, person/monster would probably sound better for an English audience, but anime gonna anime.

Also, like a lot of lengthy things, there's a buildup to that where the cheese has a fair bit less bite to it if you're already a few hours of investment into a work.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Idk If it was very dark to me but its the good type of edgy, Its a really nice change in tone to everything that has come out in the last 7-ish years. I hope we can get more things like this again

Other good Dark anime that I love are Texhnolyze, Shigurui , Monster, and of course Berserk.

If you want something else super edgy you could watch Akame Ga Kill, its awful but super super edgy lol

Status
Not open for further replies.