• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
GFP_RYU

GFP_RYU

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was pretty fucked up, the little brother parts in particular were completely brutal

That said the ending of Berserk was even more devastating to me

Oh yeah. That's a WOwzers moment for me. That was unexpected. How far can the show I wonder? It can't be as worse in the future, right?

Then episode 9 came..... woweee

Brat-Sampson

Nov 16, 2017
I remember Madoka Magika really put me through the emotional wringer. I'm not sure if it was 'edgy' but it was certainly very dark. The twisted animation on the Witches, stunning OST and utter bleakness immediately beneath the Happy Magical Girl exterior all really worked together for me. Also Eva, but that's been covered. I love the emotional intensity of things like that but I'm not in it just for 'graphic scenes' so some of the other recommendations ITT don't exactly appeal :p

Oct 26, 2017
I hope Miura never goes "all in" on his inspirations from Devilman and gives us a similar ending. That would just be too much for fans who have been reading for over twenty years.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The sex and violence come at you so fast and so frequently - you really don't have time to take it all in.

Its quite interesting that only after its over that you remember a scene and can't be quite sure if it really happened.

bobbychalkers

Oct 26, 2017
You got two more eps.

I recommend watching them in the same sitting.

Give yourself 90 minutes as you'll need that half hour.
Just finished it.
ApprehensiveUnhealthyElephantseal-size_restricted.gif

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
It's funny but I think Yuasa got into a twitter argument with a Japanese critic who really knocked the Anime for being too "edgy" and also ignoring Japanese culture to go for a more "international" approach.

I'm sure there are much "darker" anime than Devilman Crybaby, and many more offensive. (If you really want fucked up and depraved, watch Urotsukidoji/Legend of the Overfiend, doubtlessly also was inspired by Devilman too)

Well, it was definitely an experience to be sure. As for Crybaby, also definitely a memorable one and I'm glad especially that it has sort of "revitalized" the Devilman name and gotten it more attention worldwide.

I do hope they remake Amon: The Darkside though. There's a lot of real messed up stuff in there and the OVA version was sadly just a terrible adaptation. Plus I just want to see more of Amon, since he really isn't a factor at all in Crybaby

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So i havent watched devilman crybaby yet, but is it more edgy/tryhard than Blood-C's bunny scene?

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
It's funny but I think Yuasa got into a twitter argument with a Japanese critic who really knocked the Anime for being too "edgy" and also ignoring Japanese culture to go for a more "international" approach.
Edgy how? It treats its more extreme aspects with so much more respect than anything else I've seen in the last few years.

And as far as the "international" stuff goes, I shudder to think what Yuasa is catching shit for that's considered international.

Oct 25, 2017
OP, I get what your'e saying. Watching the first couple of episodes, the show really feels like some 14 year old's edgelord-y sensibilities slapped onto a screen. But...as the show goes on, some substantial stuff happens with the story. It ends up being a series that has something to say and kinda transcends the shock-value visuals. Absolutely still not for everyone though. I'm still not sure if I like it, but I definitely appreciate it.

This show has a ton of sex/nudity but I think most of it isn't used for titillation.

I freaking loved it and thought that the ending was one of the strongest endings I've seen in an anime.

Also, the original manga looks like it's a treat:

And the older OVA also seems like it's fun:

Lmao this looks amazing. I need find where I can watch this in full, dubbed.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
It's dark but there's still a faint sense of hopefulness throughout.

Now Texhonlyze, that's a show that'll grind you under its boot heel.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
Edgy how? It treats its more extreme aspects with so much more respect than anything else I've seen in the last few years.

And as far as the "international" stuff goes, I shudder to think what Yuasa is catching shit for that's considered international.
Seems like the critic was mainly thinking that "edge arthouse" titles like Devilman Crybaby are called "international" where as everything else is classified as "otaku anime"

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/01/...ector-responds-to-one-critic-s-controversial/

Or at least that's what I can figure out about it. Seems like an odd thing to ramble about.

Joeku

Oct 26, 2017
Seems like the critic was mainly thinking that "edge arthouse" titles like Devilman Crybaby are called "international" where as everything else is classified as "otaku anime"

http://comicbook.com/anime/2018/01/...ector-responds-to-one-critic-s-controversial/

Or at least that's what I can figure out about it. Seems like an odd thing to ramble about.
Good lord. That reviewer suggests that anything not fitting into an otaku mold is inherently inferior/foreign, and how in the shit could they possibly have understood the themes of the show if that's the way they approached it?

Also it's super shitty that anime that for once respects its own sexuality and violence can get called edgy. It's a slap in the face.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
It's like an episode of Sesame Street next to Texhnolyze (Soul Destroying Nihilism: The Anime).

Oct 27, 2017
This is what I did and it was probably a good idea.
Yeah, best to watch Devilman and then watch Inuyashiki after it.

I would call Violence Jack edgy but not this. Everything is done for a reason in this one. Violence Jack manga (while very good) is very dark and brutal. Most of Go Nagai's characters are somehow in it and some of them get so fucked up.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
Marathoned the entire thing in one go, seriously captivating. Went to bed at 3am thinking I would have nightmares but slept like a baby.

Great show.

Groof

Oct 26, 2017
my favourite part was when

the crazy mob was dancing with Miki and friends severed heads on sticks. made me chuckle

Melody Shreds

Oct 25, 2017
Terminal Dogma
Yeah, best to watch Devilman and then watch Inuyashiki after it.

I would call Violence Jack edgy but not this. Everything is done for a reason in this one. Violence Jack manga (while very good) is very dark and brutal. Most of Go Nagai's characters are somehow in it and some of them get so fucked up.
I would love if they followed this up with a proper adaptation of Violence Jack, but I'd think Devilman Lady would be a good follow up too.
Especially given the 2 moons at the end

xvr

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like it involves lots of dark themes, but they didn't carry much weight with me. As you said OP it involves drugs, sex, hyper violence etc but it all felt predictable enough, and that not enough contrast occurred that it really upset me. Other than the stuff with the little brother, the darker parts didn't really resonate with me. I think I'd enjoy the manga more as it's supposed to take its time, but not much of the anime really shocked me, even the little bro stuff.

Not enough down time, no contrast between the dark themes and light ones.

I'd say that 'A Trail of Blood' handles dark better, but in a different way. More disturbing and psychological than shock focused, which I feel devilman is more of the latter.
Probably just my tastes in the end though.

Oct 26, 2017
I've been waiting to watch it when I have a good chunk of time.

Shiki is still the most fucked up anime I've ever watched though. Even more so than Higurashi.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
I didn't feel much at the end of it needed a few more episodes for me to get really invested in the characters for the gut punch to matter more, maybe im just used that type of anime/manga, something like Beserk was *worse*.
The Devil Lady anime may not have been nearly as visually arresting as this modern take but I do think the emotional gut punches hit harder thanks to the additional time Chiaki Konaka (Serial Experiments Lain) had to flesh out the character development while largely hitting all of the same story beats.

Shiki is still the most fucked up anime I've ever watched though. Even more so than Higurashi.
I'm with you on this. Higurashi invested a lot in setting up its shock moments but I took little away from that show beyond them. Shiki has an emotional core to it and I love any series that constantly challenges you to alter your perceptions of certain characters and their motivations. It's wonderfully fucked up in all of the best ways... especially hairstyles.

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
All in all I'd prefer to live in the world of Devilman over that of Texhnolyze. The latter is true bleakness. I was stunned when I watched it like a year ago. Such a fantastic show and characters.

Oct 27, 2017
I would love if they followed this up with a proper adaptation of Violence Jack, but I'd think Devilman Lady would be a good follow up too.
Especially given the 2 moons at the end
Both are awesome and they definetly should do them. Yuasa can do them justice.

Everybody should go watch Devil Lady anime though. It is its own beast with its own story but is amazing. The music and the atomsphere is so haunting in it.

Poimandres

Oct 26, 2017
There was heaps of shocking edgy stuff kicking around in the 90's when the first batch of anime was released by Madman. Genocyber, Ninja Scroll, even Guyver had its moments. I never got to see Urotuskudoji (or however it's spelt!) and Violence Jack. All very graphic with the sex and violence. Pretty full on when you're only 10 hehe.

CreeperBlocks

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Devilman Crybaby gave me the same kind of hopelessness feeling as End of Evangelion did.

what a fucked up show, Episode 9 especially

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Also, this show engaged in a trope that I really hate:

Miki's death comes off (IMO) as the "woman-in-the-fridge trope," where a female character important to the protagonist is tortured/killed to spur the hero into action. Granted, it comes later in the story and Miki is considerably more developed than most characters inhabiting this trope, it still annoyed me. After that I was just like "alright, let's end this. We can't come back from that." (Come to think of it, it's also my major problem with the Killing Joke).
Miki's death serves the story and tone of the show as a whole. I also find that people tend to call out that trope too often when it came from comic books where stories like Green Lantern never end, and they go through several girlfriends. That's different from what's intended to be a one-and-done story. Also the fact that she dies at the end of the 9th episode with literally everyone dying in the next.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't really see it as edgy to be frank. Its tone suited the story it was trying to tell.

zoukka

Game Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Edgy means that the dark themes and plot aren't warranted. They are in this case so I wouldn't call it edgy at all.

Miki's death comes off (IMO) as the "woman-in-the-fridge trope," where a female character important to the protagonist is tortured/killed to spur the hero into action. Granted, it comes later in the story and Miki is considerably more developed than most characters inhabiting this trope, it still annoyed me. After that I was just like "alright, let's end this. We can't come back from that." (Come to think of it, it's also my major problem with the Killing Joke).

Then againall the other characters die with Miki too.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
Devilman anime also takes elements from Devilman Lady manga, that is even more depressing. Except rape scenes it also narrates personal stories of individuals who become demons. That wasnt in the original Devilman manga. Especially her rival, from which Miko was inspired, was a victim of domestic sex abuse by her own father while also blamed by her mother.

As for more depressing TV series, at least Devilman had some humor and darkness culminated in the last part.

Berserk, Texhnolyze, Boogiepop Phantom and Requiem from the Darkness and Vampire Miyu TV have depressing moments in all episodes. No humour at all.

Garlador

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Devilman is so insanely bleak that I actually tracked down Violence Jack BECAUSE it has a happier ending with the Devilman/Satan rematch...

I repeat. VIOLENCE JACK has the happy ending.

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
But OP... the meaning of Devilman is...!

Love. The whole point to Devilman Crybaby's story is that we need more love and sympathy in the world. That's what the baton imagery was about in the final episode. The baton was love.

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

Huh? I didn't see it like that at all.

Miki wasn't fridged. For one, she took a stand for the Devilmen, on her own terms. She defended, and saved Akira, she did something heroic and selfless, by taking this stand, hoping to achieve something to turn humanity around. Yes, she failed, and paid for it with her life, but her death wasn't to empower Akira to finally take a stand, he was already well on his way to take a stand. Miki's death more symbolized the loss of innocence for humanity. That was the point where humanity itself was literally beyond saving. That's what Akira understood and what led him to killing the humans, when he, before, would never dare TOUCH humans, no matter how much they attacked or hurt him. Miki's death was a LOT more important than just giving the male lead some drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.