• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

HStallion

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait,there's even any anime nowadays tthat have this classic style, or this kind of animation died with the 90's ?

Hunter-D-4.gif

Film-Live-Action-Saint-Seiya-Akan-Diproduksi-Oleh-Hollywood.jpg

Netflix is making a new Saint Seiya series and I think they should invest in creating an anime series based off the rest of the Vampire Hunter D novels. There are a lot of them and many are genuinely really good reads with some really crazy character and events and would probably please a lot of people who liked Castlevania and Devilman.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, it's a 90's dub(I believe done by a UK Group), but it's not that awful.

No the dub is actually god awful.

Please watch the Japanese voiced version if you're going to watch the old OVAs. Sho Hayami, an amazing A-tier VA, voices the lead character and does a terrific job. Youtube links below but you can probably find better formatted subs and higher quality video elsewhere if you take a few minutes to look.

MetalLord

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Netflix is making a new Saint Seiya series and I think they should invest in creating an anime series based off the rest of the Vampire Hunter D novels. There are a lot of them and many are genuinely really good reads with some really crazy character and events and would probably please a lot of people who liked Castlevania and Devilman.
I expressed myself badly, i was talking more about visuals, even Vampire Hunter Bloodlust and Saint Seiya Hades look kind of different from the older versions

Emka

Oct 27, 2017
Started watching it yesterday. I'm at episode 3.
So far, I like it a lot! The soundtrack is fire.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
As far as the OVA vs Crybaby art debate goes. I like both. Well, to be more specific, I like the Detail artwork of the OVA, but I like the Character Designs of Crybaby. Yeah, I get that the OVA character designs are obviously more accurate and resemble Nagai's drawings, but I do like Crybaby's Devilman design much more than the OVA's especially. In any case I think the style of Crybaby works because of the animated expressive style that Yuasa uses where everything is fluid smooth. The OVA animation, while not choppy, is still not as smooth.

Anyway, while i usually hate memes, I chuckled at this one:
DTp_c2-W0AAhzUx.jpg:large

yap

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
As far as the OVA vs Crybaby art debate goes. I like both. Well, to be more specific, I like the Detail artwork of the OVA, but I like the Character Designs of Crybaby. Yeah, I get that the OVA character designs are obviously more accurate and resemble Nagai's drawings, but I do like Crybaby's Devilman design much more than the OVA's especially. In any case I think the style of Crybaby works because of the animated expressive style that Yuasa uses where everything is fluid smooth. The OVA animation, while not choppy, is still not as smooth.

Anyway, while i usually hate memes, I chuckled at this one:
DTp_c2-W0AAhzUx.jpg:large

I couldn't resist.
9FAHrzk.png

Infinite Ukemi

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Welp, I just got this show done completely unaware of the monumental legacy that is Devilman. Went in completely blind from start to finish and boy was that a wild, crazy ride.
My takeaway?
I think I ....liked(?) it?

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished it. I had read some of Devilman a while back but only got as far as Siline. If this is how the story went in the manga I can't imagine what it must have been like for a kid in the 70's to see that shit as it was running. Also I never thought I would see Masaaki Yuasa mentioned in a fucking Newsweek article.

Gonzalez

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No the dub is actually god awful.

Please watch the Japanese voiced version if you're going to watch the old OVAs. Sho Hayami, an amazing A-tier VA, voices the lead character and does a terrific job. Youtube links below but you can probably find better formatted subs and higher quality video elsewhere if you take a few minutes to look.

*Listens to Japanese Jinmen*

Nah man, you lied to me. Jinmen is supposed to sound like a Bayou billy. I do not approve of this. :p

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So...is Episode 1 the violenest it gets?

I got kind of nauseous from the weird sex/violence juxtaposition.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Finished it. I feel like shit now. Feeling "End of Evangelion" levels of depression right now. Great show, but can't see myself ever watching it again. What a draining show.

CGiRanger

Oct 25, 2017
I couldn't resist.
9FAHrzk.png
lol. Oh boy, that's just horrible in the most amusing and depressing way possible. It fits :( :( :(

FUCK RYO! :P

Oh, and here's a Forbes review of the show: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsal...an-insane-visual-roller-coaster/#5740c7625735

One quote that I kind of was bit critical of was:
The plot is a fairly straightforward boy-meets-demon, demon-possesses-boy, global-panic-ensues story arc that plays out over ten 30-ish minute episodes.
While I suppose one could either boil down the overall plot into that barebones sentence, the way in which he flippantly writes it makes it sounds like he feels it is either trite or played out, which seems off to me because I for one am not familiar with other 'straightforward' tales like that (or that there are a lot of them, which that sentence to me seems to imply in a way). But maybe this guy watches a lot of anime.

gryvan

Brooklyn Rage
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh i knew i shouldnt have watched this series...i knew the ending was depressing as fuck since ive read the 80s manga version...

But the animation style is pretty good...

Need something to wash out this depressive mood...

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017
lol. Oh boy, that's just horrible in the most amusing and depressing way possible. It fits :( :( :(

FUCK RYO! :P

Oh, and here's a Forbes review of the show: https://www.forbes.com/sites/robsal...an-insane-visual-roller-coaster/#5740c7625735

One quote that I kind of was bit critical of was:

While I suppose one could either boil down the overall plot into that barebones sentence, the way in which he flippantly writes it makes it sounds like he feels it is either trite or played out, which seems off to me because I for one am not familiar with other 'straightforward' tales like that (or that there are a lot of them, which that sentence to me seems to imply in a way). But maybe this guy watches a lot of anime.

A lot of times writers will say something that really crazy in a matterfact, ho hum way as a way of highlighting how crazy it is. So he may have meant it more in that way.

Nilay

Oct 29, 2017
Leicester, UK
Just finished the series, I felt the last couple of episodes felt a bit rushed and was dissapointed at the fight scenes in general, but I did enjoy the show overall.

Oneiros

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the first couple episodes of this and I'm not sure what to think. It has a ridiculous amount of sex and violence, but I wasn't grabbed by the high school bullshit and the angels/devils stuff. I don't know why Akira is friends with this Ryo guy, he's totally evil. I might give it a couple more episodes.

Oct 26, 2017
Just finished this and wow, it was a worthy adaptation to the original manga. It's a good thing that the whole story was adapted and was expanded on so well.

Question for the 9th ep:
Why was the place of the Sabbath when Ryo returned to it concealed? I didn't get how people could somehow have lived there for 10 years.

Question for the last ep:
So this is basically around the 3rd cycle of punishment for Satan and he is stuck in a loop. Right?

Psycho_Mantis

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The art was a mess at types. The pacing was way too rushed and it made certain emotional scenes fall flat, especially the climax. However, the characters feel more human than most other anime, the premise is interesting, there are highs that really hit you and it speaks.

Devilman is flawed but still one of the best anime in the last few years.

Does anyone know where this is from. Don't remember seeing it

tumblr_p25fbooqZc1tndn6wo2_r1_540.gif

ForgeForsaken

Oct 27, 2017
20 minutes into the future.
The art was a mess at types. The pacing was way too rushed and it made certain emotional scenes fall flat, especially the climax. However, the characters feel more human than most other anime, the premise is interesting, there are highs that really hit you and it speaks.

Episode 9 post credits.

Oct 26, 2017

It's from episode 9's after credits.

Astral

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the only one that kinda believed Akira and Ryo's friendship. Akira is hopelessly kindhearted and was there for Ryo since they were kids when Ryo was all alone. Akira is Ryo's only friend in the whole world.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Finished it yesterday. Damn fine show and I love how self contained it is. I was not familiar with the source material so I really was not expecting those last four episodes. Shit goes from zero to 100 real quick. Also was not expecting it to be so gory and horny but it fits with the story and doesn't feel superfluous.

I am slowly making my way through Speed Grapher and would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed this (although I haven't finished it, maybe it falls apart at the end). It has a very similar general vibe although it is not nearly as stylish as Devilman.

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the only one that kinda believed Akira and Ryo's friendship. Akira is hopelessly kindhearted and was there for Ryo since they were kids when Ryo was all alone. Akira is Ryo's only friend in the whole world.
Yeah, Akira being the type to cry for other makes it work so I could see Akira being friend with him because he is alone.

I am slowly making my way through Speed Grapher and would recommend it to anyone who enjoyed this (although I haven't finished it, maybe it falls apart at the end). It has a very similar general vibe although it is not nearly as stylish as Devilman.

Thanks for the suggestion. It looks great so I will have to find it after watching the rest of Devilman Lady.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, but it kind of rubs in how irredeemable Ryo is. Akira was the best friend he ever could have asked for, and it never meant anything to him until it was too late.

renzollama

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I was getting burnt out halfway through the season as it appeared to be descending into generic anime tropes with shallow, nonsensical violence and brief uninteresting fights. The ending of the sixth episode really caught me by surprise and turned me around on it immediately.

The way the main theme, which up until that point signified that a demon is getting shredded, instead plays as Devilman proclaims he's going to save the demon. There was plenty of foreshadowing, but it still managed to subvert my expectations and I found it oddly moving

Oct 27, 2017
I am watching Devil Lady right now and man is this show bleak as hell. Like nothing happy or peaceful happens. If I had to compare this vs DM L then this wins overall because of the second half. I like it though, it is very interesting and way different from the manga.

SieteBlanco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's the bad kind of tragic, though. I rewatched some episodes while a friend was watching it and I came to dislike Crybaby's Ryo even further.
The climax just doesn't work if he is merely a totally irredeemable sociopath asshole with a poorly defined motivation. That you're supposed to feel satisfied he understood Akira seems pointless if Ryo is basically defined by being a bad guy? His only "redeeming" quality is quite literally being queer; that's it.

janusff

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
Just checked this out of curiosity. Finished the second episode. This is some of the most absurd shit I've ever seen....

Time to start the third episode.

daboynem

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hold up I may have looked down at my phone at one point so I might've missed some ish. Can someone fill me in on

Kukun dies at the satanic party yeah? Also how does taro become a devilman?

Oct 26, 2017
UK
It's the bad kind of tragic, though. I rewatched some episodes while a friend was watching it and I came to dislike Crybaby's Ryo even further.
The climax just doesn't work if he is merely a totally irredeemable sociopath asshole with a poorly defined motivation. That you're supposed to feel satisfied he understood Akira seems pointless if Ryo is basically defined by being a bad guy? His only "redeeming" quality is quite literally being queer; that's it.

To be honest the first episode lost me when Ryo decided to start butchering people in the club and Akira was chill with it. They should have had a better way to introduce demons and done more to build their relationship. Other than that I wasn't super hot on how homosexuality was paired with deviants/demons but that might be me just reading too much into it.

With that said the animation was rad.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru

Oh fucking hell man... I don't want to say anything but seeing this after you-know-what-part fucking broke me into tiny pieces and threw them into an incinerator.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Read the original manga and I'm depressed again. Tried to get into Violence Jack but it's not grabbing me as much.
Crybaby also misses having Ryo realize he's as bad as God because he's trying to wipe out a species that has just as much right to exist as anything.

Just finished this and wow, it was a worthy adaptation to the original manga. It's a good thing that the whole story was adapted and was expanded on so well.

Question for the 9th ep:
Why was the place of the Sabbath when Ryo returned to it concealed? I didn't get how people could somehow have lived there for 10 years.

I think it was work of the demons (namely Psycho Jenny) who were helping him maintain a human facade. In the original manga Psycho Jenny is responsible for erasing his memories and making him think he's a human for a few years, it's probably not beyond her to manipulate some humans' memories into thinking they lived there for a long time, and leaving all the carnage and dead demon bodies there would spoil their intentions to hide among humanity undiscovered if someone stumbled upon it.

Aselith

Oct 27, 2017

It's after the credits in Episode 9