• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
unknown.png

Gone from Steam, it seeems.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wait are Chinese people that deluded?
You know how in the states there are people here who will supppet trump no matter what he does and there are people online who be over every late night comedian's video whenever they talk about trump to try and make them seem like the bad guy? It isnt a american exclusive thing

May 26, 2018
Fucking knew it. China went all the way and must've bullied Valve by threatening to ban the whole platform of Steam. I knew they would. I was so afraid of that.

Thank Christ I bought it while I could.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
This is really sad and messed up. Have there been any examples of devs being bullied like this and it working?

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Red Candle made a official statement on their Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/redcandlegames/posts/2017918808510070

Here is my translation into English

1. The current stuff on the internet include
1. Inflate total sale numb
2. People guessing on the "plot" of the game
3. People pretending to be official source and edited screenshot

Red Candle now state that those are not accurate, all official news and information will be released through Red Candle Facebook and Steam page to prevent bad information, (Our Weibo<China facebook> have been shut down, but we are in discussion with them to reopen to give correct information to all p layer)

2. Devotion is a game that is based on the victem of a cult, and fatherly love causing tragedy.
The art asset that causes the problem is a mistake on all th e team, as a game developer, this is very unprofessional, it has no underlying meaning or mean to insulte real people, please do not conflate those into the plot of the game.

3. As a game company, Red Candle only want to provide gameplayer with memoriable and fun game experience, but this mistake disappointed all of game player, and insulted alot of people, we are very pained this occured, and is not the goal of Red candle.
So just to repeat, this very serious mistake is not the fault of our partner, Red Candle is responsible for all of it, and we will not run from it, but please do not blame or hurt our partner

4. We hope that people will put the focus on the plot of the game, and hope that people will get the full experience with it, since the art aset is not related to the game or plot, it is a mistake and not the goal of Red Candle.

5.The current situation is in negociation/arbitration at this time, we hope that the media, gamer and other will give us time to sort this out, and that will be the biggest support for us.

Red Candle Studio
Name of the founder, etc.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Oh fuck, I can't believe it goes this ugly, simply disgusting. As much as I tried to explain Chinese gamers' hopeless struggling, Red Candle did nothing wrong, it is their natural right on their land and the game itself is fucking great.

Damn it further confirms that Chinese gaming industry will not revive till a better environment comes. I hope Red Candle can recover from this devastating consequence.

Guys just buy the game when it's back, we need help them.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
And this, RIGHT HERE, my friends, is why we'll never have a game with an explicit political statement or manifestation of ideology. Nothing more than some subtle cues is what we'll get, both here and in China.

But we have freedom of expression, right?

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
I really appreciate sxiebonjour's take on the censorship and the general happenings in the mainland.

It's a very good point that Steam could easily be completely banned tomorrow and nobody could do anything about it. So from that sense, yeah, stirring the pot so to speak is dangerous.

Also, to the same point, this sort of a dig could easily and people in jail (ie their partners in China) or drove them out of business.

Considering how brutal and also efficient Xi's regime is at stomping out all dissent, there is nothing people could do other than become a blip on a police report.

At the same time, it's a ridiculous situation where the rest of the world has to tow Xi's line basically.
Mate, I appreciate your appreciation and respect that you know what's exactly going on unlike some stupid posts knowing nothing but pretending wise and talking my people.

But again at this gaming forum all I care is the well being of the developer. My stance is actually with the xiaomi fellow. I hope west players can find the game appealing and support red candle going through this.

Dec 31, 2017

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Mate, I appreciate your appreciation and respect that you know what's exactly going on unlike some stupid posts knowing nothing but pretending wise and talking my people.

But again at this gaming forum all I care is the well being of the developer. My stance is actually with the xiaomi fellow. I hope west players can find the game appealing and support red candle going through this.

Cool post. I have no idea what issue you take with my stance that Red Candle are being treated unfairly (it seems like you agree) but go ahead and keep equivocating.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
Cool post. I have no idea what issue you take with my stance that Red Candle are being treated unfairly (it seems like you agree) but go ahead and keep equivocating.
The developer is certainly being treated unfairly.

On the other hand, China is a country where your jail sentence for a Weibo/qq post may depend on number of forwards and your credit score may be impacted because you friend wrong people on social media.

You have to anticipate certain situations when dealing with China as unfortunate as it is. Before Xi came to power things were more relaxed. Now days though Winnie the Pooh don't mess around.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
The developer is certainly being treated unfairly.

On the other hand, China is a country where your jail sentence for a Weibo/qq post may depend on number of forwards and your credit score may be impacted because you friend wrong people on social media.

You have to anticipate certain situations when dealing with China as unfortunate as it is. Before Xi came to power things were more relaxed. Now days though Winnie the Pooh don't mess around.

I can appreciate your point and the legal culpability of the artist who hid that asset in the game, but I feel the response of the public should be more compassionate to the devs than "Well, that's China for you."

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Guess Valve got scared of being caught with their hand in the honey pot.

Valve, to their credit, did not remove the game. It seems Red Candle have removed it themselves as part of either changing some assets to correct a misinterpretation of the narrative (many mainland players are interpreting "Land's Heart," the name of an occult superstition in the game, to mean "Mainlanders' Heart," which doesn't appear to be the dev's original intention), or as part of arbitration in the legal case they're going through with their Chinese publisher.

Feb 15, 2019
You know, as much as I think the Chinese are overreacting to this. I don't see how the dev could possibly think calling Xi Jinping a moron in an easter egg (basically stating that that is what the devs think of him rather than a character in the game or something) would have absolutely no consequences.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
From the very beginning I have been no less pissed than you for the developer being treated unfairly. It's just not like I can talk these topics as audaciously as you did , so yeah, I'll keep equivocally be with you, lol.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
You know, as much as I think the Chinese are overreacting to this. I don't see how the dev could possibly think calling Xi Yinping a moron in an easter egg (basically stating that that is what the devs think of him rather than a character in the game or something) would have absolutely no consequences.

You would be right if it were a deliberate provocation, but everything seems to indicate they didn't know it was in there. It's not even clear that the level artist who placed that asset was aware of it, only that whoever made the poster had done it as a joke that probably would not fly with the project leads given the serious nature of the game's narrative. When they found out they instantly removed it and apologized. The dev's previous game has more anti-mainland sentiment as it is highly critical of the mainland culture brought to Taiwan by the KMT, but because it didn't get an official release and didn't insult the current leadership of the mainland, it managed to squeak by.

sxiebonjour said:
From the very beginning I have been no less pissed than you for the developer being treated unfairly. It's just not like I can talk these topics as audaciously as you did , so yeah, I'll keep equivocally be with you, lol.

Sorry, I was not clear. "Equivocating" means being deliberately vague in your arguments as to hide your real opinions. I respect that you don't want to argue as "audaciously" as I do, but I don't really mince words about this sort of thing. I gotta live here and see my friends and colleagues bullied by the mainland's reactions to Taiwanese success all the time. It gets old.

Last edited:

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
You know, as much as I think the Chinese are overreacting to this. I don't see how the dev could possibly think calling Xi Jinping a moron in an easter egg (basically stating that that is what the devs think of him rather than a character in the game or something) would have absolutely no consequences.

Except the art asset didn't state he's a moron.

It's two seperate meme/joke in the talisman.

First one is XiJinPing is Winnie the Pooh
And the second one is a sound based joke that if you say it out it say your mom is an idiot, a varation on the various your mama joke from western media.

Igniz12

Oct 25, 2017
What are the chances of this dieing down when the game returns with the art in question removed? Hopefully this leads to more people outside of China picking this game up now after this but I am curious if the bridge is burned with China.

With how the Huawei issue is being played out with Canada and China I feel like I probably have my answer but still I hope maybe this works out for them either from getting the boot off their neck or from more people buying this game from the press coverage of this incident.

Feb 15, 2019
You would be right if it were a deliberate provocation, but everything seems to indicate they didn't know it was in there. It's not even clear that the level artist who placed that asset was aware of it, only that whoever made the poster had done it as a joke that probably would not fly with the project leads given the serious nature of the game's narrative. When they found out they instantly removed it and apologized. The dev's previous game has more anti-mainland sentiment as it is highly critical of the mainland culture brought to Taiwan by the KMT, but because it didn't get an official release and didn't insult the current leadership of the mainland, it managed to squeak by.

Except the art asset didn't state he's a moron.

It's two seperate meme/joke in the talisman.

First one is XiJinPing is Winnie the Pooh
And the second one is a sound based joke that if you say it out it say your mom is an idiot, a varation on the various your mama joke from western media.

Hey if it's an accident that's fine. But I can't exactly blame China for wanting to have it removed then. Of course review bombing the game is really immature and a bit weird seeing as it wasn't them that was insulted but I can't really say I expected different from China.

sxiebonjour

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry, I was not clear. "Equivocating" means being deliberately vague in your arguments as to hide your real opinions. I respect that you don't want to argue as "audaciously" as I do, but I don't really mince words about this sort of thing. I gotta live here and see my friends and colleagues bullied by the mainland's reactions to Taiwanese success all the time. It gets old.
I not sure when you talk bully you mean online attack or in reality. Cause IRL I never felt the hostile towards each other, at least where I live in the states.
If it is in real life , I feel bad about that and advocate you fight back the bullies;
While online unfortunately not like there is much we can do to stop the shitstorm, being aggressive isn't really helping, in fact you might just scare off people that share the same thoughts. I say don't let random guys on the internet concern you.