• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 4, 2017
So, they make a game "criticizing" (in placeholder assets and code that had to be datamined) the chinese government, even going as far as calling the chinese people a cult devoted to its leader, and some people thought the adequate response was to review bomb the game defending the government and country, as well as offending the devs in the discussion boards they have to use VPN to access because their government forbids them?

This is some god tier irony.
It might be because if the Internet Police finds out they were playing the game, but didn't offer criticism over Winnie the Pooh references, they might lose social credit (not certainly, but there's potential, especially for people who already have low credit scores due to prior strikes). So they might act out from their own self-interest (imagine getting barred from using bullet trains, and instead having to rely on crappy regional trains and busses) rather than any (real or perceived) support for the Party.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah okay, I just finished the game after having played half of it yesterday. I speak and read Chinese. As it relates to the topic at hand:

- There is no character named Lu Gongmin in the game. There's not really even a cult leader; the only character you meet who is connected to the cult is named Mentor Heuh/He Laoshi. I don't know where this is coming from unless I missed it in one of the game's news clippings.
- There isn't any explicit or even really implicit anti-CCP or anti-mainlander sentiment in the game.
- The thing about Xi Jinping being depicted as a child attacker in the game is not true. I don't know where that comes from.

The game is incredibly beautiful and disturbing and does a lot of things I haven't seen a game do before. Best walking simulator since Edith Finch, easily.

EDIT: LOL at the above person trying to get a refund after 4 hours. The game is only 2.5-3 hours long.

Oct 25, 2017
It might be because if the Internet Police finds out they were playing the game, but didn't offer criticism over Winnie the Pooh references, they might lose social credit (not certainly, but there's potential, especially for people who already have low credit scores due to prior strikes). So they might act out from their own self-interest (imagine getting barred from using bullet trains, and instead having to rely on crappy regional trains and busses) rather than any (real or perceived) support for the Party.
That's just sad. I liked my version more. :(

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
- There is no character named Lu Gongmin in the game. There's not really even a cult leader; the only character you meet who is connected to the cult is named Mentor Heuh/He Laoshi. I don't know where this is coming from unless I missed it in one of the game's news clippings.
The lies, misinformation, and misdirection were to be expected, but are still surprising in how unsophisticated they are. Jesus.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
Yeah okay, I just finished the game after having played half of it yesterday. I speak and read Chinese. As it relates to the topic at hand:

- There isn't any explicit or even really implicit anti-CCP or anti-mainlander sentiment in the game.
- The thing about Xi Jinping being depicted as a child attacker in the game is not true. I don't know where that comes from.

The game is incredibly beautiful and disturbing and does a lot of things I haven't seen a game do before. Best walking simulator since Edith Finch, easily.

EDIT: LOL at the above person trying to get a refund after 4 hours. The game is only 2.5-3 hours long.

That's from their previous game.

Feb 14, 2018
Berkeley
The logic behind is not that simple. It's not like people love Xi, so they made review bombs.
If you ask whether Chinese people like Xi or not, I think most of them don't care.
Actually many people felt angry cause they consider this as a deliberate provocation to mainland China. Relationship between mainland and Taiwan is an extremely sensitive topic.
btw I am a Chinese gamer, with no interest in anything related to politics.

Jessie

Oct 27, 2017
China (and almost every wealthy country in Asia) has a troll bot army. I imagine a lot of this was faked.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
It's disappointing how badly younger Chinese students got essentially brainswashed or scared now days.

The vast majority of information they consume is from mainland media and social networks which have been heavier and heavier censored since Xi came to power.

Fear comes in where you can go to jail for seemingly innocuous posts due to very broadly stated laws. Hell, you can go to jail if your qq/weibo/WeChat post gets propagated as even private WeChat rooms are monitored. There is also a culture of reporting on others that has been fostered to such extent that it exceeds East Germany in its heyday.

Things are at a point where even students that are at schools overseas monitor and report on each other as well as any "anti-CCP" sentiments like discussions of Tibet, Xinjiang, Taiwant and so on.

It is pretty sad how badly things have gotten in the last 6-7 years as despite the censorship things were quite a bit more lenient before Xi ans current regime came to power. Just look at the hounding of entertainment media.

Anyways, the protests of the game is just one small example. And yeah, while I share dev sentiments, if the game was sold through distribution partners in China, that's a bad move as t could land people in jail.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
Actually many people felt angry cause they consider this as a deliberate provocation to mainland China. Relationship between mainland and Taiwan is an extremely sensitive topic.
btw I am a Chinese gamer, with no interest in anything related to politics.

These people ought to play the game. The only political sentiment I can stretch to see is the general disrepair and griminess of the setting, which makes sense because it takes place at the tail-end of the KMT martial law period, and there are still many buildings in Taiwan that look like that. At no point does the game mention political- or nationality-based agendas.

EDIT: I suppose the game does offer a political commentary on Chinese culture itself, namely with regard to traditional gender roles and family honor, but that issue cuts deep on both sides of the strait.

spiel

Oct 28, 2017
And also it's not just the spell talisman, but their digging up another news article in their game.

The circled red text is about an idividual in the upper left named Baozhi(Meat bun) commiting sexual crime againt Elementary school children self proclaiming to be a lolicon
And second one is about being sentenced to 3 year to life improsment

Lpu2gJC.png

The picture in the uppler left looks like a young photo of China Priemer Xi Jin Ping

L3JvDWR.png

Oh dear, why superimpose Xi onto the portrait in the first place? The image quality is so blurry, it could have been anyone. This misinformation just fuels their narrative that the devs are unfairly attacking China.

If they had bothered to google 王瀚宇 (Baozi's real name), this picture shows up:

1*3vL4SlUJBIMsAnwSHQL6rQ.jpeg

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017

Its not in the game but an ARG(Alternate reality game) . Red candle also did an ARG for Detention.

https://webcache.googleusercontent....+&cd=9&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=sg&client=firefox-b-d

There are a few links if you just goggle.

Anyway Dentition was also censored somewhat since Traditional Chinese version make reference to CCP while the simplified Chinese Version did not.

(I noticed because i switch from traditional to simplified since i read slower in traditional (Singapore only uses Simplified Chinese anyway) and got lazy, then i got lazier and switched to English lol)

I will say that the CCP link is justifiable and make sense due to the historic and lore reason. Did not read too much about Devotion's back ground and ARG so i will hold my comment but .... insulting a whole population is low.

Edit

Maybe someone should update the thread or OP. I am not good at translating these infos but just a simple search inChinese on goggle will link to PTT and other Chinese language forums (China, Taiwan and others) and sites that goes into more details about this. You may need the cache for China based sites since most of them are removed.

Last edited:

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Cool stuff. I'll pick up Detention on PS4, and hopefully we get Devotion on PS4 as well. Fuck Xi

Chao09

Feb 28, 2018

The anti-mainlander sentiments are in minor details. I would like to find some discussions on Chinese gaming forum, however, all the threads and videos are deleted. Within few hours, it's like this game has not existed at all... Well, some of their discussions may be overreacting, so I only remember something plausible to me, especially the Lu Gongmin part, which does not seems like a coincidence to me.

Edit: thank clay_ghost for reminding me, Red Candle probably removed those sentiments through update.

Last edited:

SpinlyLimbs

Banned
Feb 1, 2018
Wait are Chinese people that deluded?
People worship government officials all over the place. China just has a stronger grip than alot of places, and some systems there actively encourage that kind of behavior. Hell, the reason there are so many videos of people getting in horrible accidents in China and every onlooker actively avoiding giving aid is due to laws that make you responsible for medical costs if you intervene IIRC.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
The anti-mainlander sentiments are in minor details. I would like to find some discussions on Chinese gaming forum, however, all the threads and videos are deleted. Within few hours, it's like this game has not existed at all... Well, some of their discussions may be overreacting, so I only remember something plausible to me, especially the Lu Gongmin part, which does not seems like a coincidence to me.

Yea. Not sure if Red Candle removed most of the ARG's contents now. From what i read, there are still hints to other potential ARG contents which may be removed or not be uploaded now . I think Red Candle did not expect China's Chinese to VPN and find out more details about the ARG's contents and stuffs , i am not even sure if Dropbox and Instagram etc are accessible without VPN.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

I had to change the article above to traditional, so something may have been lost, but from what I can tell the name Lu Gongming is simply the character's name, and he founded a cult called the Lu Xin ("land heart") Youth Union. The cult seems to be inspired by real-life Taiwanese death cults such as the Sun-Moon cult from back in 2013. So I guess you could read "Mainland Citizen" into his name, but it could also be "Citizen of the land," a kind of quasi-spiritual name. I don't know. In the game itself I didn't find anything to suggest mainlanders or the CCP were at fault for any of the events in the game, and I looked at the minor details pretty extensively.

Feraligatre

Banned
Jun 9, 2018
Review bombing is a weird phenomenon in that it gives a concentrated player base an incredible amount of power in dictating a game's financial performance. However, I don't think it's going to last. You have to think every major publisher is looking at this and trying to come up with ways to stop it. Unfortunately I think this is going to burn players in the long run who do still rely on reviews to help them decide on games to buy because it'll force publishers to push back, thereby eroding the integrity of even honest reviews. Couple that with the steady inflation games are getting wherein every site wants to claim a game is much better (or sometimes worse) than they actually perceived it to be in order to generate traffic. Around 2010 or so it used to be a much bigger deal to see games score in the 9s, and 10s were considered the game of the generation. Now a huge amount of games are hovering around an 8 or 9, with 7 being considered mediocre. The optimist in me thinks games are just getting better at achieving their vision, and are thus getting score more favorably. The pessimist thinks games journos are just abusing the system, and eventually scoring games will become redundant, which isn't a bad thing as the argument can be made they're incredibly reductive and detract from the case the reviewer is trying to make.

Just rambling I guess.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I like how some of the users here just posted to defend steam reviews and didnt add anything to the discussion. So defensive qhen their favorite platform gets called.

I like how some of the users here just posted to say that Steam reviews are completely useless and should be removed entirely, not adding anything to the discussion but merely demonstrating their ignorance of the many benefits reviews provide to users.

HugoLiu

Oct 30, 2017

Devs's latest announcement, long story short: They apologized and state it's one of the artist put the controversial material into the game but it does not reflect the opinion of the team, and they were not aware of this until 21st Feb when some player reported this.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
They shouldn't have apologized and should have left it in. More publicity

They have to apologize, it's not just them, it also effect another company Winking Entertainment(Origionally WindThunder<Taiwan based game company that has existed for awhile> and their Shanghai branch made this public statement and it relates to contract law, so Red Candle might be sued and have pay them for the "loss"

Basic translation
Regarding Devotion incident, our company as one of the investor are using the contract "The planning, art and coding and making of the game are made and responsible by B, A is only responsible for the fund and other stuff. A is our company, B is Red Candle, so by contract law, we had no right to review the game, and had no way of nothing that the game asset included such bad content, but as a invester, we should have checked the content of the game before/after it was released, this is our failure as investor and we apolize to everyong.

After our decision, our company has ceased contract/work with Red Candle, and will go through the court to recoup our loss.

Z8S8U4i.jpg

Personally, I hope Red Candle don't get into too much trouble, and the actual sueing won't happen in Taiwan, and if it does, I'll be disappointed in Windthunder.

Last edited:

Chao09

Feb 28, 2018
I had to change the article above to traditional, so something may have been lost, but from what I can tell the name Lu Gongming is simply the character's name, and he founded a cult called the Lu Xin ("land heart") Youth Union. The cult seems to be inspired by real-life Taiwanese death cults such as the Sun-Moon cult from back in 2013. So I guess you could read "Mainland Citizen" into his name, but it could also be "Citizen of the land," a kind of quasi-spiritual name. I don't know. In the game itself I didn't find anything to suggest mainlanders or the CCP were at fault for any of the events in the game, and I looked at the minor details pretty extensively.

I understand that Lu Gongmin can be a coincidence.
I believe you understand how intense the relationship between mainland China and Taiwan is. Some mainlander and supporters of independence for Taiwan dislike(actually, I mean 'hate' ) each other. Unfortunately, Red Candle's "winnie the poof" meme makes people believe they support independence, especially it's a Taiwan company( Winnie the Poof meme first appeared in Chinese social network, so trust me, they don't care just because of the meme. We use that meme more than anyone else do. ). and Red Candle's employee's Weibo account confirms their idea. They start to read into the details of the games. You are probably right, maybe they are over-interpretint it. But don't you think it is not right to sale a game in a market while violating the precepts and customs of that market?

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I believe you understand how intense the relationship between mainland China and Taiwan is. Some mainlander and supporters of independence for Taiwan dislike(actually, I mean 'hate' ) each other. Unfortunately, Red Candle's "winnie the poof" meme makes people believe they support independence, especially it's a Taiwan company( Winnie the Poof meme first appeared in Chinese social network, so trust me, they don't care just because of the meme. We use that meme more than anyone else do. ). and Red Candle's employee's Weibo account confirms their idea. They start to read into the details of the games. You are probably right, maybe they are over-interpretint it. But don't you think it is not right to sale a game in a market while violating the precepts and customs of that market?

Not really?
Since there are also actual mainlander/Chinese that don't see the big idea, and don't like the current regime and joke about seeing Premier Xi getting the death penality?
gNAoLq9.jpg

Plum

May 31, 2018
But don't you think it is not right to sale a game in a market while violating the precepts and customs of that market?

I doubt you're going to get any answers other than 'no' here. Subversive art that goes against the status quo has every right to be sold within that status quo, and if a country creates a situation where that can't happen then it's the nation's problem not anyone else's.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

The Winnie the Pooh meme is such a mild jab (along the same lines as calling Trump a cheeto) that the creators disavow, I'm glad some Chinese netizens see it for what it is, regardless of the team's Sunflower Movement-like pro-independence stance (which is clearly there with their musical choices and the way Detention depicted the KMT). I'm not big on markets, though, and I'm not someone who would ever support attacking someone for "violating the precepts and customs of a market," unless it were a clear case of corruption like insider trading, money laundering, etc. If you come to Taiwan and sell five-star flags, I'm not going to attack you for that, regardless of the symbolism of that act.

EDIT: On the topic of hatred between the groups, there isn't really much hatred toward individual mainlanders; the island is a top tourist destination for a reason. Mainlanders have a good time here, and plenty of Taiwanese folks have family back on the mainland. So what if someone is pro-independence? There's a crowd of aunties and uncles who march down the street from Taipei 101 every weekend, singing "China is China, Taiwan is Taiwan;" does any sane person think these people are a serious threat to Chinese hegemony?

Last edited:

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
what do you mean by not really, man. did you carefully read what i said?

I read it, but it's long and rambling, so I don't get the exact meaning of it, but I think the game can be sell a game or any media anywhere as long as no person, animal adult or minor is harmed in the making and distribution of it, whether the market choose to buy it or not is another matter.

And the Winnie the Pooh meme is started by Chinese netizen, and most don't seem to mind, the actual gamer community is more worried about Steam gettign banned, and seem tl blame the Culture agency(They are the one that review and allow media, and have been made fun of for their past targeting of Japanese and even chinese mobage for fanservice content or other)

And Taiwan netizen/gamer are kind of bewildered and amused by this, although there is concern regarding the Winking possible sueing and making Red Candle bankrupt, but insulting other country has been done by Taiwan before, just look at the highschool Nazi parade from a few year ago

Chao09

Feb 28, 2018
I doubt you're going to get any answers other than 'no' here. Subversive art that goes against the status quo has every right to be sold within that status quo, and if a country creates a situation where that can't happen then it's the nation's problem not anyone else's.
Edit: this is a inappropriate and incorrect comparison, I apologize.

Last edited:

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
How about making a video game contained little discrimination against minorities or LGBT while everyone is taught everyone is born equal? Will you consider that subversive art?
I'm not saying I agree with this attack to Red Candle. I'm explaining to you, Taiwan issue is political correctness in China. The subversive part is not about Xi, it's about Taiwan.

There is something called "punching up" when it comes to satire and subversive art. Making a game that contains challenges to Chinese authority when Chinese authority has been pushing your people down for over a century is punching up. Making a game that belittles minority groups who aren't systematically oppressing anyone is punching down, and would be rightfully received with scorn.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
How about making a video game contained little discrimination against minorities or LGBT while everyone is taught everyone is born equal? Will you consider that subversive art?
I'm not saying I agree with this attack to Red Candle. I'm explaining to you, Taiwan issue is political correctness in China. The subversive part is not about Xi, it's about Taiwan.
What a terrible comparison/example.

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
There is something called "punching up" when it comes to satire and subversive art. Making a game that contains challenges to Chinese authority when Chinese authority has been pushing your people down for over a century is punching up. Making a game that belittles minority groups who aren't systematically oppressing anyone is punching down, and would be rightfully received with scorn.

I don't think you really get why some China's gamers are displease about this.

Plum

May 31, 2018

Making a video game with discrimination against minorities and the LGBT community is not making subversive art against the status quo, it's the status quo making non-subversive art against those that aren't the status quo. Another reason why that comparison is awful is that you're born a minority (or become one in some cases) whereas China's control of Taiwan is something that is being forced onto that country's populace.

Care to elaborate?

Dest

Has seen more 10s than EA ever will
Coward
Jun 4, 2018
Work
Game went from 4,000 reviews at Overwhelmingly Positive and went to 12,980 reviews at Mixed... Ouch. That's a shame, this game is fucking great.

Chao09

Feb 28, 2018
The Winnie the Pooh meme is such a mild jab (along the same lines as calling Trump a cheeto) that the creators disavow, I'm glad some Chinese netizens see it for what it is, regardless of the team's Sunflower Movement-like pro-independence stance (which is clearly there with their musical choices and the way Detention depicted the KMT). I'm not big on markets, though, and I'm not someone who would ever support attacking someone for "violating the precepts and customs of a market," unless it were a clear case of corruption like insider trading, money laundering, etc. If you come to Taiwan and sell five-star flags, I'm not going to attack you for that, regardless of the symbolism of that act.

EDIT: On the topic of hatred between the groups, there isn't really much hatred toward individual mainlanders; the island is a top tourist destination for a reason. Mainlanders have a good time here, and plenty of Taiwanese folks have family back on the mainland. So what if someone is pro-independence? There's a crowd of aunties and uncles who march down the street from Taipei 101 every weekend, singing "China is China, Taiwan is Taiwan;" does any sane person think these people are a serious threat to Chinese hegemony?

If I sell something, for example, a drink with a hidden five-star flags in Taiwan, and I wrote something sounds similar to "Taiwanese are cult", and I probably did that unintentionally. You all buy that drink happily. And one day you find that flags and the note, what do you think?

As for the second question, yes, some people think these people are.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
A better analogy, though of course not 1:1, is imagine a Native American developer made a game where the cult leader was named "White People" and then the game was review bombed by angry white people who were personally offended. It's absolutely absurd when you take the key pieces of the scenario and transplant it somewhere else. But here there seems to be some really aggressive defense being played that is coming off looking pretty poor.
LMAO the irony at people having yo use a VPN to be able to defend the goverment
Literally Twilight Zone-tier and yet we're actually somehow having a contentious thread instead of uniformly condemning this jingoist rhetoric and actions for what they are.

Jom

Oct 25, 2017
If I sell something, for example, a drink with a hidden five-star flags in Taiwan, and I wrote something sounds similar to "Taiwanese are cult", and I probably did that unintentionally. You all buy that drink happily. And one day you find that flags and the note, what do you think?

As for the second question, yes, some people think these people are.
I wouldn't really care because it'd be saying a bunch of nonsense?

This is talking about Xi being a fucking piece of shit which the vast majority of people would agree. What would Taiwanese being a cult even mean?

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017

I'm only replying to his idea of a game that discriminates against minorities there, and why it wouldn't work compared to a game that challenges privileged classes. We're off in the weeds, though, as this game doesn't have anything like that.

From what I understand Chinese gamers are displeased because an artist left a Winnie the Pooh meme in the game that insults their government, and an ARG (not the actual game) has a cult leader named 陆恭铭 ("Land sacred inscription") that sounds like "Mainland citizen" if you change the last syllable from "ming" to "min." They are upset that the game was marketed to them when it contains these things they find don't put them in the best light. What would you dispute?

clay_ghost

Oct 25, 2017
Probabely something either about Steam possible getting banned by the culture agency due to this action by a Taiwan game dev, or something about putting politic in a game and both should not be mixxed,

From the comments i see yes, that's how they are reacting. Its mostly for selfish reason, most just want to play their games and are pissed that a Taiwan developer should know by now not to create a shitstorm. Hey, gamer culture are the same behind the Great firewall of China i guess.

I'm only replying to his idea of a game that discriminates against minorities there, and why it wouldn't work compared to a game that challenges privileged classes. We're off in the weeds, though, as this game doesn't have anything like that.

From what I understand Chinese gamers are displeased because an artist left a Winnie the Pooh meme in the game that insults their government, and an ARG (not the actual game) has a cult leader named 陆恭铭 ("Land sacred inscription") that sounds like "Mainland citizen" if you change the last syllable from "min" to "ming." They are upset that the game was marketed to them when it contains these things they find don't put them in the best light. What would you dispute?

I don't dispute that. I misread your reply to Chao09.

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
I'm Chinese and I don't get why people are upset...I also don't get the joke in the game...

An Art asset included in this game included a meme about China's Premier Xi is Winnie the Pooh is the main thing.
And the company probabely being green in Taiwan's political situation, and alot of angry people or bot now making it about the two straight indpendence and politic.