• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP

vinnykappa

Oct 27, 2017
Dev released an apology.

Rough translation:
Our team often reference popular internet memes for placeholders in the prototype stage. We accidentally did not delete all of them in this version because of release sync. We do not have any intention to attack or insult. They have been removed in v1.0.5.

This controversy shows that our team is not careful enough in the due process. As a gaming company, we have a lot to improve. We apologize for all affected parties. Please forgive us.

All responsibilities are on us.

Comments are all insults against the devs.

Theiea

Oct 27, 2017
Where is it being review bombed?

It's still sitting at overwhelmingly positive (95%) on steam.

TheClaw7667

Oct 25, 2017
OP
OP

vinnykappa

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of them are probably gunning for social credit points. That system is turning all public conduct into a performance art to curtail favor with the Chinese state
Not really. Steam is not linked and is still considered "grey area" out of PRC's jurisdiction.

I believe most review bombers are genuinely angry about it.

HugoLiu

Oct 30, 2017
Doesn't this potentially put them into some serious trouble?!
No, the Devs are from Taiwan, an independentstate of China or a independent country depend on whom u r asking, either way, Xi has no juriduction over there.

It's a great game and I feel sad something like this happen.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So for anyone who thinks that the game is at 95% positive right now. Check the review count from the top sellers/new release page.

Steam's reviews are glitched at the moment. Currently the game is at a 69% rating with 7000 reviews. But Steam only lists 4000 with 95% positive. Yakuza Kiwami is also having the same bug where the game has 173 reviews on the store page. But it actually has over 500.

9bUBl5x.png

Deleted member 10601

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Uhh, the Steam client shows me around 11.000 reviews with the half of them negative.
The Steam webpage shows me only around 4000 reviews with around 200 negatives.

EDIT: It looks like the review glitch is fixed now.

Last edited:

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
How brainwashed can you be? This is one of the dumbest review bombs I have seen yet and it is actually strongly affecting the game's positivity on steam.

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
Probably the funniest part to me is that Xi doesn't really look that much like Pooh in the first place.

Xx 720

Nov 3, 2017
I feel bad for the developers, they had a success on their hands, hope this dosent hinder future sales/projects.

Deleted member 10601

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, the Devotion forum is UNUSEABLE now. It needs HEAVY moderation. lol
This is a case where i wish Valve would do better at moderating.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
The game looks awesome, I'm 30 minutes in. But thinking in a refund because I can't deal with the erratic framerate.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Honestly, I'm a bit disgusted by the reaction here. It's pretty shitty and unprofessional on the dev's part to let something like this to slip to the release version.

Deleted member 10601

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly, I'm a bit disgusted by the reaction here. It's pretty shitty and unprofessional on the dev's part to let something like this to slip to the release version.

Is it also shitty and unprofessional to make jokes about Trump or other political figures in games? It is Winnie the Pooh and not some disturbing graphical depiction of Xi Jinping.

Dec 11, 2017
India
Source

Publishers Delisted
Updated on 23rd February, 1:13 pm
Following the controversy, the names of the two publishers - Indievent and Winking Skywalker have been removed and replaced with Red Candle Games.
Proof:
devotion-earlier.jpg

Cached Steam Page

devotion-later.jpg

Current Steam Page

Why Is It A Matter Of Importance?
It's a matter of utmost importance for Chinese players and the entire Chinese gaming community in general. Upon skimming through dozens of the recent reviews, we found one thing that was in common. If the concerned authority of the People's Republic of China finds out about the discussed controversy, not just will they ban the game, but there's a possibility they'll ban Steam entirely.

In a country where games are constantly banned, modified and restricted to users due to several cultural and ideological conflicts, a reference like Devotion's could turn disastrous.

Detention is being review bombed as well
Updated on 23rd February, 1:42 pm IST

Red Candle Games' award-winning 2D atmospheric horror, Detention, is being review bombed as well. The game boasts an Overwhelmingly Positive overall rating but the recent reviews are Mostly Negative and the conversion is happening on a massive scale.

Untitled-8.jpg

As captured on 23rd February, 1:41 pm IST

Untitled-6.jpg

As captured on 23rd February, 1:41 pm IST

Twitter Outrage

Last edited:

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
a somewhat apt encapsulation of the Taiwan - Mainland relationship : always underlying tension, but business/economic interests bind them

regardless of review-bombing, a major part of the sales that pushed it up the global steam sales chart came from Mainland China, and the coverage/word-of-mouth from Mainland (netease reviewer gave it 8/10, before I heard anything about it on this forum, now the score changed to N/A...) was really positive. burning a large chunk of the fan base was probably why they had to take it out, and publishers getting out as well

companies can make fun of say North Korea and not worry about the financial consequences. not so much in this case

Last edited:

champloo

Oct 27, 2017
Apparantly the game has been delisted from the Chinese storefront, and Steam is offering a full refund for anyone who purchased.

Shoshi

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Wonderful!
My Taiwanese friend watched a let's play of Devotion during our Japanese class. He told me it's a new Taiwanese game that Taiwanese people thinks is super creepy since it takes place in a Taiwanese traditional hometown environment.
I'm constantly waiting for an official thread on ERA!

I guess we definitely won't see a PS4 port now...-_-

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Thats gonna be a yikes from me dawg

It was a harmless joke for a man who deserves much worse and people got caught up in nationalist propaganda and voiced an insane amount of misplaced outrage

SushiReese

Oct 30, 2017
It is not just a joke. This incident may give China government perfect an excuse to block the Steam in China, or even worse, force Steam to pull off all Red Candles Game from the store.

At first, the game become extremely popular in the gaming channels in Chinese community. Most of the streamers stream the game, millions of viewers watched the game playthrough. The game also receive universal praise from the media, it even become a trending topic in Chinese social media. The public give extremely positive feedback. However, after some users from Taiwan PTT and gaming forum post some screenshots related to OP mentioned and mocked that the game successfully fooled the mainlander into supporting a game to "mock PRC people and KMT supporters(who tend to unify with China)". It attract more attention when people dip deeper into the game.The anger transfer to outrage when people discover that the founder/lead designer's social media, he holds a pro-Taiwan independent political view and make quite a few political posts.

Except for the photos of Xi, the dev staff also intentionally hided many elements to imply the condemnations towards RPC and mainlander Chinese. If you could understand the Chinese, datamined text and images from the game implies that cult in the game is 陆心会(Mainland heart association) which means the association of people are in favor of PRC. Cult leader name is 陆恭铭/陆公民 ,which means "PRC citizens" in Chinese. The Cult Festival in the game is October 1st to October 7th, which is the Nation Festival of PRC. The list goes on. As more hidden messages are discovered, people start feel irritated and get cheated on.

TheTrain

Oct 27, 2017
Is it also shitty and unprofessional to make jokes about Trump or other political figures in games? It is Winnie the Pooh and not some disturbing graphical depiction of Xi Jinping.
I think so, yes. This way they are mocking an entire country. And it would be the same if there was Trump involved or any leader out there.
Also leave the politic out of a videogame, it's amiss really

Musubi

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Between this and the fucking hilarious way that pooh got censored in Kingdom Hearts III I'm just always tickled at how much Xi Jinping cannot get over this.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At first, the game become extremely popular in the gaming channels in Chinese community. Most of the streamers stream the game, millions of viewers watched the game playthrough. The game also receive universal praise from the media, it even become a trending topic in Chinese social media. The public give extremely positive feedback. However, after some users from Taiwan PTT and gaming forum post some screenshots related to OP mentioned and mocked that the game successfully fooled the mainlander into supporting a game to "mock PRC people and KMT supporters(who tend to unify with China)". It attract more attention when people dip deeper into the game.The anger transfer to outrage when people discover that the founder/lead designer's social media, he holds a pro-Taiwan independent political view and make quite a few political posts.

Except for the photos of Xi, the dev staff also intentionally hided many elements to imply the condemnations towards RPC and mainlander Chinese. If you could understand the Chinese, datamined text and images from the game implies that cult in the game is 陆心会(Mainland heart association) which means the association of people are in favor of PRC. Cult leader name is 陆恭铭/陆公民 ,which means "PRC citizens" in Chinese. The Cult Festival in the game is October 1st to October 7th, which is the Nation Festival of PRC. The list goes on. As more hidden messages are discovered, people start feel irritated and get cheated on.
.... so?