• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

resetera bonus:
What John is saying sounds pretty right to me! I don't want to down play GPU power, but I promise everybody that you will be absolutely blown away by visuals on both consoles. However, the SSDs are the big difference when coming into this gen. We're not talking about "load times" in the classic sense. That's an antiquated way of thinking about data coming from your hard drive. For the last 10+ years we've been streaming worlds on the fly. The problem is that our assets are absolutely huge now, as are our draw distances, and our hard drives can't keep up. It means that as you move through the world we're trying to detect and even predict what assets need loading. Tons of constraints get put into place due to this streaming speed.

An ultra fast drive like the one in PS5 means you could be load in the highest level LOD asset for your models way further than you could before and make worlds any way you want without worry of it streaming in fast enough. The PS5 drive is so fast I imagine you could load up entire neighborhoods in a city with all of their maps at super high resolution in a blink of an eye. It's exciting. People don't realize that this will also affect visuals in a big way. If we can stream in bigger worlds and stream in the highest detail texture maps available, it will just look so much better.

I think the Xbox drive is also good! The PS5 drive is just "dream level" architecture though.
www.resetera.com

PlayStation 5 System Architecture Deep Dive |OT| Secret Agent Cerny

I can see why they did what they did. I mean if doing it gets them to be able to clock it as high as 2.23Ghz. that's something. More importantly, though, I think people are missing something about why they could also have used a smaller chip. If it can even be called that. There is SRAM in the...

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, SSDs are a huuuuge deal. Glad both consoles have them.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Good to see and no offence as I'm sure it's genuine but I'd love to see reactions from third party developers as well instead of just Sony first party developers

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Should you be including a tweet from a Naughty Dog Dev in this list?

Edit: Just seen that they're pretty much all first party developers.

Dec 25, 2018
it'll be exciting to have games without load screens (possibly). The only game I can think of that truly had had like no loads was Jak TPL. Maybe there's more, but it's an exciting time regardless.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I hope to see games require a SSD, now that most PC players have been had them and console players are now up to speed.

Ukumio

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Australia
Honestly, I'm much more interested to hear from multiplatform devs rather than developers who work (or have worked) for Sony studios. Not trying to say that I don't think the SSD news is massive, but rather that I'm afraid it will be under utilized by third party devs.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
So judging from these Dev reactions, plenty of people are Era have absolutely no idea what they are talking about (like me but at least I admit to that) and it turns out the PS5 actually is pretty ridiculously good.

____

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, FL
So judging from these Dev reactions, plenty of people are Era have absolutely no idea what they are talking about (like me but at least I admit to that) and it turns out the PS5 actually is pretty ridiculously good.
Experts + professional developers: it's amazing!

Era non-experts: it's trash, Sony dropped the ball, gen over

OP
OP
Equanimity

Equanimity

Oct 27, 2017
London

ViewtifulJC

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Current and Former People on Sony's Payroll Excited to Work on New Sony Console

well at least the first party games could look great

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
i have a feeling it's just all marketing crap. if it is true then great.

i'm just glad both consoles finally have SSDs (i've had one since 2008) and maybe now I can get the most out of my NVMe drives.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
Someone posted that first one pretty much word for word the other day. Very excited to see what Sony can do with it. I've got a nice M.2 and a 15 year old platter in my PC and those with only experience of mechanicals in consoles are going to have their socks blown off by the gulf of difference. I can't wait to see what can be done beyond faster into the level/game and massively improved asset streaming.

Tusken77

Oct 27, 2017
England, United Kingdom
I've basically been saying to friends in the past day what JasoNsider said up there in his quote. People need to understand the bigger picture. What PS5 brings is quite literally a game-changer. Hugely exciting.

Expy

Oct 26, 2017

Devs get the performance for free, it's transparent to the dev. You don't need to "code for it", it's there and you get it automatically.

Oct 27, 2017
They're basically restating what Cerny already said in terms of how it'd affect game design, so if you didn't think he was lying or exaggerating (which I didn't), none of these comments are too surprising. Although like people said, for multiplatform devs, they're not going to have different level design for the PS versions so it'll be interesting to see how much of this they can take advantage of while keeping in mind the game has to look and play well on the other systems it's on

Oct 25, 2017
I fully expect to see some amazing things from first party, but will it translate to the bulk of games that are multiplatform?

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I'm definitely looking forward to what first parties do with the new hardware.

methane47

Oct 28, 2017
Hmm... i mean. Im hyped for ps5. I will definitely get one. but how much hot air is being blown up my ass here?
Is this at all similar to the bullshit that was peddled last gen by some Xbox devs about the power of the CLOUD?
Or similar to the bullshit peddled by Sony about the power of CELL?
Or is this actually legit?

Deleted member 5159

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
ssd's on consoles will revolutionize the whole world as we know it, bye world hunger, bye pandemics, bye global warming. its a revolution baby

Smash-It Stan

Oct 25, 2017
The implication being 3rd party games couldn't/won't?
Not that they wont look great, but the xbox having consistent speed being the whole reason for the way it was built and designed, while the ps5 is all about variables, it does mean that only first parties will use the secret sauce well. This is kinda the Cell Proccessor all over again but its not impossible to work with.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Feels like the SSD in the PS5 might be pretty high-end for a while. Can't wait to see a real game putting all that speed to use. Maybe Skyrim SSD edition lol, where everything doesn't visibly pop into existence in the distance.