• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 23046

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
wgjLiZE.png
Thank you 😂

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
So now SSD's are the most important metric for power, cant make this shit up lol Cant wait for the DF face offs later this year.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Yes they are. More consoles sold, more potential customers.

Their words are almost as important as the platform holders in selling these consoles

Lol no they're not. The vast majority of people that buy consoles in general don't know shit about tech and dont care at all about what a dev says on Twitter.

You serious?

All this is is devs sharing enthusiasm about a piece of hardware they see lots of potential in to make game development take the next step. There is nothing insidious here.

Some of yall, I fucking swear.

BAD

Oct 25, 2017
USA
Fair enough.

for this thread overall, people need to read Jason's interview on kotaku -
www.resetera.com

What I actually said on Kotaku Splitscreen about the PlayStation 5's specs

Earlier today, someone made an awful thread based on a lengthy conversation I had on the Kotaku Splitscreen podcast by transcribing a single line from it, and it led to 12 pages of truly embarrassing discourse. Since so many of you commented and reacted without actually listening to the episode...

both consoles will be a beast, TF is only computational, and who cares in the end? The game's are what really matters. Remember the PS3 was super powerful and failed due to its difficulty in developing
I think people just take issue with the suggestion that Xbox's obvious lead in power is somehow worth concern-posting about when all knowledge suggests it has nothing that would hinder devs like some comments imply with these PS3 comparisons, or that PS5 has some easy to use
way to restructure a game to match output on X and PS5. We just don't have evidence for why we should start doubting the specs when it comes to the comparison for multiplatform titles.

FF Seraphim

Oct 26, 2017
Tokyo
So now SSD's are the most important metric for power, cant make this shit up lol Cant wait for the DF face offs later this year.

Who has even claimed this? Everyone knows the XSX is just flat out more powerful when it comes to raw numbers. Sony is doing something different and people wonder how it can bridge the gap between the two.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Yes they are. More consoles sold, more potential customers.

Their words are almost as important as the platform holders in selling these consoles
So the million-dollar marketing strategies platform holders employ is only just about more important than some devs on twitter?

Come on. This makes no sense. These consoles will sell a ton, devs will have a successful platform to release their games on regardless, they don't have to say anything.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
No, not really.

When has a developer ever came out during the lead up to new hardware and said negative things about said hardware?

They have to sell games, it serves them no purpose to not exude excitement over the new hardware.

That's not to say they are lying, but obviously they will pretty much always be positive at the prospect of new hardware.
They are saying it out loud AND in confidence to Schreier. If we heard JS saying, Devs telling me PS5 really lags behind, or something a long those lines you're argument might have merit. We aren't though.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017

I don't think that this is what is being said here, rather that it's more important to have an IO that feeds everything "right on time" to your system than not. Having a 12TF GPU that runs fast but that has to wait for new assets to be there to do something new is not making the best use of those 12TF (thankfully, Series X also has a strong SSD too, but PS5 has gone well beyond in that regards, and it might be a very good thing for a lot of game designs, a thing that cannot be translated in "power metrics" alone, even when it has visual impacts).

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Who has even claimed this? Everyone knows the XSX is just flat out more powerful when it comes to raw numbers. Sony is doing something different and people wonder how it can bridge the gap between the two.
The xbox has slight advantages in GPU power which will not be rendered completely useless by an superior SSD or a potential better RAM setup.
Im not wondering if the gap will be closed. Im wondering what an ultra fast SSD will bring to gamedesign. We know that Insomniac had to throttle the movement speed in Spider-Man because of streaming constraints. Now I wanna see how devs will use the PS5 SSD. LOD and movement speed is the main interest for me.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
There's the clock speed as well(i think), but i'm not really interested in the gap and bridging it so i don't really understand much of it.

It's just weird how they keep saying the SSD will make up the difference but I haven't seen one explanation where it was like oh, that makes sense an doesn't sound like wishful thinking vs the hard specs we have right in front of us, also the XSX has a ssd too, will being twice as fast really allow ps5 to do crazy game designs that xsx cant ? Hard to believe that

Simuly

Alt-Account
Banned
Jul 8, 2019
The only point I'm making is that I wouldn't take these positive tweets as confirmation that the PS5 is remarkable and going to revolutionize the gaming world as we know it with it's god like SSD technology. It's a fine console and I'm excited to own one, but there is no reason to try and be spinning it as somehow more special or incredible than the Series X which looks every bit as impressive if not more so.

Who is spinning the PS5 as more 'special' than the XsX and why on earth would you be insecure about that anyway?! There are plenty of good things to say about the XsX.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This thread needs a goddamn purge.

Random ass verge commenters are suddenly a more believable source than first and third party devs. Fuck is wrong with this site.

This is how console warriors create a false narrative and it should frankly be banned.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Who is spinning the PS5 as more 'special' than the XsX and why on earth would you be insecure about that anyway?! There are plenty of good things to say about the XsX.

Not, it's not enough that my console is really good, the other console has to be shit. Or I can't justify my purchase

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
I mean that's the only reason I keep hearing on why the ps5 might be better than the XSX, unless I missed something oh an 3d audio
Hi.

I can try and explain the PS5 SSD. Please take a look at this picture:

ETa_f2WU4AU0i-G

The PS5 SSD will make the line in the graph become linear. Currently, assets are made in extremely high quality but have to be compromised because of the low streaming speed of the hard drive. You end up with one or two really nice looking character models, and practically everything in the distance taking a significant cut in fidelity.

The PS5 with its 5 GB /S SSD and additional custom hardware rapidly expands that potential. This means? THE HIGHTEST quality assets can now be in scene! Higher quality textures, highest quality character models, highest quality items in the environment etc. Additionally, there will be SIGNIFICANT reduction in LOD.

This isn't about LOADING times. This is about streaming in the most beautiful work we have and not compromising the vision.

To put it bluntly: PS5 is looking to make everything as pretty as possible by giving devs the ability to stream the largest highest quality assets they have. This is all thanks to the rocket ship SSD.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Lol no they're not. The vast majority of people that buy consoles in general don't know shit about tech and dont care at all about what a dev says on Twitter.

You serious?

All this is is devs sharing enthusiasm about a piece of hardware they see lots of potential in to make game development take the next step. There is nothing insidious here.

Some of yall, I fucking swear.
I said nothing about it being "insidious"

Some of y'all are too emotional about this, I fucking swear.

I simply said positivity is what should be expected out of developers in the lead up to new hardware.

The things they say can and do promote the hardware. That's why we are here talking about them.
So the million-dollar marketing strategies platform holders employ is only just about more important than some devs on twitter?

Come on. This makes no sense. These consoles will sell a ton, devs will have a successful platform to release their games on regardless, they don't have to say anything.
Imagine Sony spends millions advertising their console just for prominent devs to get on twitter and be negative or even indifferent about the hardware. That would clearly hurt the marketing of the console.
They are saying it out loud AND in confidence to Schreier. If we heard JS saying, Devs telling me PS5 really lags behind, or something a long those lines you're argument might have merit. We aren't though.
Again, that would serve them no purpose. Devs almost always talk about the positives. Remember at the launch X1 and PS4 all we heard from devs was that they were both powerful and very close in performance.
It serves them no purpose to talk about differences or deficiencies/difficulties in the hardware.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
This thread needs a goddamn purge.

Random ass verge commenters are suddenly a more believable source than first and third party devs. Fuck is wrong with this site.

This is how console warriors create a false narrative and it should frankly be banned.

Why would anyone care what a first party dev says about the console they have to develop for? Of course they're going to be excited to work with the technology, it's the only technology they can use.

Don't get me wrong, random Verge commenters aren't exactly bastions of empirical truth either. But without major third parties chiming in openly about this, I don't see much to be excited about. Of course Sony studios are going to be happy.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
It's just weird how they keep saying the SSD will make up the difference but I haven't seen one explanation where it was like oh, that makes sense an doesn't sound like wishful thinking vs the hard specs we have right in front of us, also the XSX has a ssd too, will being twice as fast really allow ps5 to do crazy game designs that xsx cant ? Hard to believe that

I'm interested in the stuff Cerny is bringing to the playstation because i want to use it, like the haptics and tempest stuff in vr.
If the SSD allows the PS5 to improve performance and claw a little bit back against the Xbox, i don't care beyond what it does for the playstation. i just don't comprehend what any of the fuss is about, the xbox is a powerful console it doesn't change anything.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
But Jason said the PS5 would have more than 10.7 TF. And that the Xbox is behind and will likely come in hot. And that devs are frustrated with the lack of communication. Yet to all of us, it feels like they have been the most transparent. People like to take what he says and turn it into something else.

To be fair cerny did say that they had the gpu clocked higher but needed to cap it becuase it was causing logic issues. Maybe at one point the console was 10.7? Who knows but I think it's more a mistake to flat out dismiss what Jason says when he knows people working on these machines vs gamers who mostly have no clue how to design a game.

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018
Hi.

I can try and explain the PS5 SSD. Please take a look at this picture:

ETa_f2WU4AU0i-G

The PS5 SSD will make the line in the graph become linear. Currently, assets are made in extremely high quality but have to be compromised because of the low streaming speed of the hard drive. You end up with one or two really nice looking character models, and practically everything in the distance taking a significant cut in fidelity.

The PS5 with its 5 GB /S SSD and additional custom hardware rapidly expands that potential. This means? THE HIGHTEST quality assets can now be in scene! Higher quality textures, highest quality character models, highest quality items in the environment etc. Additionally, there will be no LOD.

This isn't about LOADING times. This is about streaming in the most beautiful work we have and not compromising the vision.

To put it bluntly: PS5 is looking to make everything as pretty as possible by giving devs the ability to stream the largest highest quality assets they have. This is all thanks to the rocket ship SSD.

Alright so this is interesting, why didn't Sony showcase this as they spoke about the SSD ? Also wouldn't XSX be fast enough to deliver the same thing?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
No one's saying power?

Think of it this way. Say you have a large open world game. Which do you think would benefit developers more: 15% more TFLOPS or 120% faster storage?

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
Alright so this is interesting, why didn't Sony showcase this as they spoke about the SSD ? Also wouldn't XSX be fast enough to deliver the same thing?
The PS5 SSD is over twice as fast and the stupidly high clock speeds are used with a custom hardware called GPU scrubbers which flush the GPU of data as fast as possible. All this was deliberate.

The XSX is fast but - the combination of the three items above (very high GPU clock, SSD, and custom GPU scrubbers) is what's making the PS5 solution so special.

To be clear Xbox has advantages. It will have higher resolutions, It could hit higher framerates but the assets will be pushed farther back or some cuts will be made. Also if i'm not mistak XSX has better RT hardware.These are two different theories on how to make a game :). We all win.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Sony spends millions advertising their console just for prominent devs to get on twitter and be negative or even indifferent about the hardware. That would clearly hurt the marketing of the console.
Sure, if it's widespread, like anything that goes viral. But the point is devs don't have to be negative or positive at all. Are they more likely to be positive than negative because being publicly negative can sour their relationship with the platform holder? Of course. But they're also not about to hype up some console just because. They don't need to "damage control" as people are saying around here.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I mean that's the only reason I keep hearing on why the ps5 might be better than the XSX, unless I missed something oh an 3d audio

The PS5 could be better at certain things than XSX because of the SSD.
That don't make it more powerful than XSX .
XSX is the more powerful system but some people just wondering what the extra SSD speed from sony can do in certain aspects.

Mindtaker

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
The PS5 SSD is over twice as fast and the stupidly high clock speeds are used with a custom hardware called GPU scrubbers which flush the GPU of data as fast as possible. All this was deliberate.

The XSX is fast but - the combination of the three items above (very high GPU clock, SSD, and custom GPU scrubbers) is what's making the PS5 solution so special.

To be clear Xbox has advantages. It will have higher resolutions, It could hit higher framerates but the assets will be pushed farther back or some cuts will be made. Also if i'm not mistak XSX has better RT hardware.These are two different theories on how to make a game :). We all win.

The clocks are variable, probably is the boost clock. Most of the time will be lower.

Dec 8, 2018
No, not really.

When has a developer ever came out during the lead up to new hardware and said negative things about said hardware?

They have to sell games, it serves them no purpose to not exude excitement over the new hardware.

That's not to say they are lying, but obviously they will pretty much always be positive at the prospect of new hardware.

So devs are the new marketing department of game companies now that is the reasons they say these things on their personal twitter accounts.

Is it not just tiring trying to come up with this shit?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
Why would anyone care what a first party dev says about the console they have to develop for? Of course they're going to be excited to work with the technology, it's the only technology they can use.

Don't get me wrong, random Verge commenters aren't exactly bastions of empirical truth either. But without major third parties chiming in openly about this, I don't see much to be excited about. Of course Sony studios are going to be happy.

Most of the people saying stuff with PS5 are not first party devs.
Even 2 people in the OP don't work for Sony any more.
What has happen now is if you work for Sony before it don't matter what you say .

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
So devs are the new marketing department of game companies now that is the reasons they say these things on their personal twitter accounts.

Is it not just tiring trying to come up with this shit?
Like I said, you guys are just too emotional about this stuff.

It's common sense, lots of consoles sell, developers have more customers to sell to.
They should be the most excited out of everybody at the prospects of new hardware.
Sure, if it's widespread, like anything that goes viral. But the point is devs don't have to be negative or positive at all. Are they more likely to be positive than negative because being publicly negative can sour their relationship with the platform holder? Of course. But they're also not about to hype up some console just because. They don't need to "damage control" as people are saying around here.
They aren't hyping them up "just because"

They are hyping them up because excitement makes them money.

They don't "have" to do it, but it makes all the sense in the world to do so.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
To be fair cerny did say that they had the gpu clocked higher but needed to cap it becuase it was causing logic issues. Maybe at one point the console was 10.7? Who knows but I think it's more a mistake to flat out dismiss what Jason says when he knows people working on these machines vs gamers who mostly have no clue how to design a game.

I am not dismissing him. If he says something with concrete details, I will certainly believe. I am dismissing people using what he says and turning into their own narrative. Shortly after he made the 10.7 TF comment, he he said he had no idea what the TF number was and all he heard were things were double. But, for some reason, no remembers that.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019

Dreazy

Oct 25, 2018

Alright crazy how the best breakdown of this I've seen yet is from a resetera user lul
Yeah, no worries.

Im curious. What tangible real life differences do you expect to see between the two consoles? Could you give a break down?

Better res an framerates on XSX ?