• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Trieu

Feb 22, 2019
Great to hear.

I am all for developers having an easier time and thus allowing them to make better games / match their visions

Super excited for it !

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Where is all this salt coming from yo?

30% approximate gaps i guess? From people that likely have never pushed near the peak themselves cuz there arent any next gen games even out yet

Real world gaps once these are out in the wild and running games are going to be negligable mark my fucking words

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Now the question I have is, is this just a consequence of finally having a ssd or is it due PS5's ssd being so much faster? As in does this additional speed and power of the ssd actually change things.

It's not only much much faster. It offers innovative features for data management as well. It's a whole new thing, not just extremely fast.

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
Sigh...

Anyone else tired of this? Here i am getting excited that we are seeing a 10X* leap in base hardware and people want to argue over console warrior stuffs

Yes to all this. In the middle on a pandemic people still like to go inside topics they don't care about to shit on everyone else's happiness.
It's quite unbelievable. There's literally no time or space to celebrate or be positive about anything in here lately.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
People do realize most 3rd parties won't use all these new features because Lockhart exists right?
Xbox has the weakest console and devs have to make their games work on that console too.
this is a terrible take. lol. this is like saying the switch holds everybody back.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
people gushing over the ps5 ssd when xbox has basically the same thing just slower. not to mention that the only games that will benefit will be ps5 only games and even then that's if sony don't want to port them to pc at all which they seem to be doing lately. its really not going to change much at all other than the standard benefits you get from using an ssd which both platforms benefit from.
Many developers clearly feel the opposite. Hmmm who to believe 🤔

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
People are acting like PS5 is somehow a budget bin machine because its less powerful than XSX

Its asinine

So glad to have console wars back i really missed it

Gonna go back to playing on my switch and enjoying it despite the attitudes on here
Not sure how you took that out of his post. Third party titles will perform better on the XSX as it's the clear cut more powerful console. PS5 SSD advantages will require specialization that likely we'll only see from first party developers.

It's not to say it's a budget machine if one wants to play multiplatform games on the stronger hardware.

Deleted member 27551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
30% approximate gaps i guess? From people that likely have never pushed near the peak themselves cuz there arent any next gen games even out yet

Real world gaps once these are out in the wild and running games are going to be negligable mark my fucking words
Yea this. It isnt going to be a 1440p/4k difference there both going to hit that resolution. It could be a difference between very high and ultra like on PC and as some PC players know, sometimes it's hardly noticeable.

Jan 21, 2019
Hmm... i mean. Im hyped for ps5. I will definitely get one. but how much hot air is being blown up my ass here?
Is this at all similar to the bullshit that was peddled last gen by some Xbox devs about the power of the CLOUD?
Or similar to the bullshit peddled by Sony about the power of CELL?
Or is this actually legit?
Read the entire Twitter thread by Andrew Maximov. It's real.

VivekTO

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Exciting times ahead game designing wise. let see what devs come up with these new Hardware and SSDs.

Bomi-Chan

Nov 8, 2017
does anyone know, what was the part about "you cant compare ps5-TF with regular TF"?
iam not sure, what kind of magic this actually means. xbox has more raw power, but sony has a variable and compressable tech behind its hardware, or is it something different?

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I wonder how both compression efforts compare to each other. On the one hand we have Kraken from RAD, on the other hand Microsoft with zlib and BCPack.
Edit: according tohttp://www.radgametools.com/oodlekraken.htm:
"Kraken blows that away, with decode speed 3-5× faster than zlib, and 10-30× faster than LZMA. It's just much faster than anything else at its compression level." but both do it in an asic anyway in realtime I guess so it comes down to compression efficiency I guess.

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sigh...

Anyone else tired of this? Here i am getting excited that we are seeing a 10X* leap in base hardware and people want to argue over console warrior stuffs
It's not even console warrior stuff.

I mean, I'm not saying the PS5 is a slouch. It isn't at all. But OF COURSE Sony's first party devs are going to be praising the new Playstation hardware. Do we really think we were gonna have Neil Druckmann on Twitter going off about how much the PS5 sucks?

It just makes threads like this feel a little silly.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how a Sony dev's opinion is less valuable. They are stuck with the PS5, it's the only platform they can develop for for the next 6 years or so. If they weren't happy about it, they'd stay silent.

that's... somewhat stupid. It's also a TLOU promotional screen, not an in-game one. Is he implying devs won't optimize detail in game according to what the player sees?

It seems the less barbaric sequel of the Polygon Mario Kart pie chart.
The images are just there to illustrate the different games. The curves are there to demonstrate the level of detail in relation to the distance between player and object. It is simply showing that despite being on the same hardware, data management allowed devs to present higher visual fidelity (hence TLOU's curve starts much closer to the top) closer to the player and a more optimized, reduced fidelity on objects further away.

Last edited:

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Regarding this technical aspect of both consoles (SSDs): doesn't that potentially mean that either the Xbox Series X's slower storage will hold back the game designs of AAA multiplats or that it will have issues reaching the technical vision devs had in mind when developing this compared to the PS5?
Genuine question.
Solely talking about the storage solution here! I'm fully aware that the Series X has its own strenghts as well.

cgcg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm gonna disagree with that. Series X has a ton of insanely talented first party studios behind it, working with superior hardware. Ninja Theory games and others are going to blow us away.

Yea but even first party still have to develop for the lowest common denominator that is the Lockhart, so all advantages are automatically negated. Am I rite guys?!

elenarie

Game Developer
Verified
Jun 10, 2018
does anyone know, what was the part about "you cant compare ps5-TF with regular TF"?
iam not sure, what kind of magic this actually means. xbox has more raw power, but sony has a variable and compressable tech behind its hardware, or is it something different?

It's just bullshit by console warriors to push things their way, happened last gen and will happen this gen too. Funny to see it again. :D

PS5 TF compares to XBX TF that compares to potato TF that compares to whatever. It is a measurement for amount of floating point operations a piece of hardware can do.

The actual performance of the entire console is a different story. :)

aisback

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony is trying to get rid of any bottlenecks and trying to do this as smart as possible

Monster Zero

Nov 5, 2017
Southern California
You think people are building next gen capable PCs with... HDDs? And a substantial enough number of them to affect game design..?

The poll on this forum right now is close to 20% still using HDD. Also I wasn't referring to HDDs but standard SSDs which have a read/write speed of 500-600 MB/s. That would be the new standard speeds that third party would develop for unless you think Capcom, Namco, Rockstar, From Software, Square Enix, CD Projekt Red, etc are going to suddenly abandon the PC market.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
They were referencing comparing it to the PS4. You can compare the PS5 and XSX.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Hmm... i mean. Im hyped for ps5. I will definitely get one. but how much hot air is being blown up my ass here?
Is this at all similar to the bullshit that was peddled last gen by some Xbox devs about the power of the CLOUD?
Or similar to the bullshit peddled by Sony about the power of CELL?
Or is this actually legit?
We never had a technical presentation of power of the cloud.

Why people who doesn't have any knowledge in games dev or devs in general "think" or "have feeling that".
For those people, if you are in quarantine and don't know what to do, do some research.

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Damn some folks are pissed Sony is getting praises..... What do some of you expect that devs and folks over at DF are just gonna come out and say "PS5 is weaker than X, Sony sucks at TF, their marketing is lying"

digitalrelic

Weight Loss Champion 2018: Biggest Change
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yea but even first party still have to develop for the lowest common denominator that is the Lockhart, so all advantages are automatically negated. Am I rite guys?!
Nope. Lockhart isn't even real right now, but if rumors are correct, it will be a 1080p console which means it won't hold development back one iota.

Last edited: