• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Dec 8, 2018
If one dev dicking around for a week managed to get Minecraft running at 1080/30 at that level of Rraytracing fidelity, then there's always that long shot that proper optimization and enough time/resources could get that to 1080/60. I'd take that over 4k/30 any day.

How will that work on Lockhart? <<<<720/60?

A completely different version made especially for Lockhart and one for XsX and PS5?

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I don't think that is what he mean.
You have people in here saying what devs saying don't matter for what ever reason .( like you said none of them saying it stronger than XSX )
But this one person with second hand information saying it's a big gap so it must be true.

That is how I interpret the "1 dev 2nd hand account says something different" part. Something different to me would be other developers saying the contrary to "the XSX is stronger overall than the PS5".

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Second hand information from an unknown source. Why don't these devs come out and state their opinion with their actual names attached?
What is the difference with the devs saying stuff to Schreier for example?
This guy work in the game industry and hear from colleagues (that understandably don't want to break their NDA or talk publicly), I don't see the issue.

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Both Phil, Larry and Albert have multiple times spend time talking with these guys.

Remember how confusing I thought it was hearing Phil talking about how he detested console warriors and soon after him and the rest of the profiles of MS was continuing engaging with the worst of them again.
I find this quite shocking, any other company wouldn't even acknowledge the existence of nutcases like him.

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
That is how I interpret the "1 dev 2nd hand account says something different" part. Something different to me would be other developers saying the contrary to "the XSX is stronger overall than the PS5".

I guess the difference would be the word quite staggering .
Since all the data point to XSX being stronger but staggering don't seem to be the case.
Any way when games come out we will see how big the gap is compare to how it look on paper and what people\devs saying.

Jan 21, 2019
Because it's not about faster loading screens. SSDs as standard means developers can start building games without hard drives in mind (once the obligatory cross-gen period is over) and that opens up gameplay and world-building possibilities that wouldn't be possible otherwise.
I wonder if some people are just uninterested in this stuff and ask these questions or are facetious because they cannot imagine consoles doing anything that PC's can't or aren't doing. Like, do I live in a bubble where I assume it's kinda obvious that consoles set the baseline and games are made around this baseline. I just don't understand how people, after all this talk haven't understood that these SSDs are a game changer.

Dec 8, 2018
What is the difference with the devs saying stuff to Schreier for example?
This guy work in the game industry and hear from colleagues (that understandably don't want to break their NDA or talk publicly), I don't see the issue.

When he for some reason says that himself to Timdog it begs to question how valid it is.

There is probably no one less biased and bigger console warrior then him on twitter so of all persons to relay this "information" to be could not have chosen a worse one if he wanted to be seen as credible.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Is this dude even an active developer?
He doesn't seem to be (he's working in sports), but you don't need to stay there to keep talking with former colleagues.

edit:
When he for some reason says that himself to Timdog it begs to question how valid it is.

There is probably no one less biased and bigger console warrior then him on twitter so of all persons to relay this "information" to be could not have chosen a worse one if he wanted to be seen as credible.
I'm not sure he even knows who Timdog is tbh. Not everybody replies to someone after checking if they're a console warrior or not, especially on twitter.
It's not like his opinion (not Timdog, the former dev) is particularly remarkable or different from others tbh. He's just saying there's a power gap (which is true) and that the PS5 will still have excellent looking games (also true). And that there's console warriors that don't know much about tech and gamedev in this thread (another fact).

Deleted member 20297

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Sure but that doesn't preclude bias, as anyone working in any industry knows.
When talking about biased devs, what would be a better fit than this thread, right? ;)
In all honesty, either you believe industry people or you don't but we are really getting to a point where people believe that if it's positive for your favorite plastic box you have to believe him and if not, throw shade at these people, they can't be right, and thus only letting opinions into your mind that are only to reconfirm what you already believe.

Jameson

Nov 23, 2017
I wonder if some people are just uninterested in this stuff and ask these questions or are facetious because they cannot imagine consoles doing anything that PC's can't or aren't doing. Like, do I live in a bubble where I assume it's kinda obvious that consoles set the baseline and games are made around this baseline. I just don't understand how people, after all this talk haven't understood that these SSDs are a game changer.
Talk is cheap, No matter who it comes from. If the standard truly did change some people need to see it first.

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
I guess the difference would be the word quite staggering .
Since all the data point to XSX being stronger but staggering don't seem to be the case.

For me the specs clearly say that the XSX is better in graphics overall, this doesn't seem to be the case for several. Most of what I have seen are people either saying that the XSX is stronger or the PS5 is stronger, but not a lot of how much stronger is the XSX than the PS5.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I see Tim dog's name pop up I think of that time he sat outside bestbuy watching to see how many people would buy XBOX consoles after declaring that XBOX would "Win" NPD that month on twitter for weeks.

Oracle

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
In what world is a 1.8~ tflop difference "staggering"

That's almost exactly the PS4 Pro -> XB1X raw tflop gap, it's not staggering now, why would it be staggering when the proportional tflop gap will be half the size it is now

absolutely.

I mean its beyond comprehension how minimal the difference is when its looked at like this. All the mumbo jumbo can be tossed aside and simply read this sentence for clarity.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
This isn't meant to be only against Xbox but is there this kind of equivalent on the Sony or Nintendo side? Is there some Sony or Nintendo account that is just pure zealotry. I know when it comes to fanboys in general it's equal on all sides but I swear on Microsoft draws these large nutter accounts

Oh Bruce, you sweet summer child. :P

There are far, far worse then Timdog on Twitter. Far worse. I'm talking about:

• 24/7, round the clock insults straight tweeted at developers/staff/industry heads.
  • Gifs and memes with Phil Spencer dead or getting killed by [insert Sony head/PS logo here] usually photoshopped on a brutal movie scene
  • Cult-like ganging up against the "percieved enemy" i.e., rival fans, and premeditated hacking of accounts to release their personal information (including family, their kids schools, etc.). I believe this happened to Timdog in the GAF days.
  • Lots more disgusting shit that is better off left unknown, by GROWN MEN who some of which have their picture as their avatar and look like regular dudes

You can usually follow the rabbit hole by looking at mega-fanboys like JayTech and co...but trust me, it isn't worth it. You ever go down the rabbit hole on Wikipedia or IMDB, and ask yourself how the hell did you end up here when you originally searched for [completely other thing]? Yep, I did that, lol.

The difference is that TimDog has been responded to by unknowing Xbox staffers more than once, as well as the fact that he used to have a NeoGAF account, which is where he became put in the spotlight.

Edit: beaten, but not really. That tweet is actually extremely timid.

Banamy

Oct 27, 2017

• 24/7, round the clock insults straight tweeted at developers/staff/industry heads.
  • Gifs and memes with Phil Spencer dead or getting killed by [insert Sony head/PS logo here] usually photoshopped on a brutal movie scene
  • Cult-like ganging up against the "percieved enemy" i.e., rival fans, and premeditated hacking of accounts to release their personal information (including family, their kids schools, etc.). I believe this happened to Timdog in the GAF days.
  • Lots more disgusting shit that is better off left unknown, by GROWN MEN who some of which have their picture as their avatar and look like regular dudes

You can usually follow the rabbit hole by looking at mega-fanboys like JayTech and co...but trust me, it isn't worth it. You ever go down the rabbit hole on Wikipedia or IMDB, and ask yourself how the hell did you end up here when you originally searched for [completely other thing]? Yep, I did that, lol.

The difference is that TimDog has been responded to by unknowing Xbox staffers more than once, as well as the fact that he used to have a NeoGAF account, which is where he became put in the spotlight.

Sheesh. I thought that was the worst!! Glad my following base doesn't interact with any of that.

Dec 8, 2018
Probably just turn it off. It would be like having a GPU without raytracing.
If the game is running full ray tracing there are no other lightning solution in the game so just turning it off is not an option you would in that case need another version of the game build around traditional lighting.

This is why there won't be games build around ray tracing but instead it will only be applied in some areas or a hybrid approach.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

Haha I genuinely am a Summer Child. People are fricken nuts

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whenever I see Tim dog's name pop up I think of that time he sat outside bestbuy watching to see how many people would buy XBOX consoles after declaring that XBOX would "Win" NPD that month on twitter for weeks.

giphy.gif

This is some stalker level shit right here.

tryDEATH

Banned
Jun 6, 2018
User Banned (3 days): Console warring over a series of posts; history of similar infractions
I've seen a fwe of Moore's vids pop up on youtube since I started following nextgen news. Guy does seem to know what he's talking about. I did take my daily grain of salt while watching that vid, but it does line up with what many devs are saying on twitter and also aligns with what Jason has said recently. That SSD is revolutionary in certain ways. I really hope we get more details on it soon. Game tech demos would be awesome too. Wonder how long that'll take.

At this point, I don't think there's anything anyone can say or show you that will change your mind. It's clear from the way you've worded your posts up to now that you're very platform biased. Just let the argument go and wait until we get some good next gen titles to compare.

Thats the whole point, no one has shown ANYTHING about this revolutionary PS5 SSD besides a side-by-side comparison to current gen Spider-Man loading time and asset streaming. Nothing vs current gen SSD's or arguments for it, compared to the SSD's that the XSX has. Its all covered in some secret prophetic mysticism.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If the game is running full ray tracing there are no other lightning solution in the game so just turning it off is not an option you would in that case need another version of the game build around traditional lighting.

This is why there won't be games build around ray tracing but instead it will only be applied in some areas or a hybrid approach.

4A Games (Metro series) says they are fully in on ray tracing and won't use traditional techniques anymore. Raytracing saves so much time for developers and artists, I hope all platforms can manage it successfully.

www.eurogamer.net

4A Games on next-gen: "We are fully into ray tracing"

It's official. 4A Games are fully committed to ray tracing technology for its next big game and the implications are ex…

Dec 8, 2018
4A Games (Metro series) says they are fully in on ray tracing and won't use traditional techniques anymore. Raytracing saves so much time for developers and artists, I hope all platforms can manage it successfully.

www.eurogamer.net

4A Games on next-gen: "We are fully into ray tracing"

It's official. 4A Games are fully committed to ray tracing technology for its next big game and the implications are ex…

Yes it will be used together with old tech just like Metro also is but don't expect it to be purely build around it.

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County

OMG that was a grown ass man right there. Stuff like that makes me want to quit gaming threads it is so repulsive.
That is so embarrassing it breaks out of the embarrassing orb that should just surround that individual and covers me in embarrassment and shame.

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes it will be used together with old tech just like Metro also is but don't expect it to be purely build around it.
That's not what their CTO is saying.

We asked CTO Oles Shishkovstov for his reaction to publicly revealed aspects of next generation console hardware. "We are fully into ray tracing, dropping old-school codepath/techniques completely," he told us.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what Timdog does a for a living. Like his actual day to day job.

Does he actual attend gaming conferences? If I were Microsoft folks I would just ban the dude out of embarrassment.

Dec 8, 2018
That's not what their CTO is saying.

He says they are embracing and going to use ray tracing to the best of their ability and that it have and will completely replace older tech but they don't mean all tech.

Look at this image from the Cerny speak.

jpg

Ray tracing can be used for any or all of these areas but with increased cost for each added.

When he is talking about replacing tech he means one of these areas not all of them.

nelsonroyale

Oct 28, 2017
When talking about biased devs, what would be a better fit than this thread, right? ;)
In all honesty, either you believe industry people or you don't but we are really getting to a point where people believe that if it's positive for your favorite plastic box you have to believe him and if not, throw shade at these people, they can't be right, and thus only letting opinions into your mind that are only to reconfirm what you already believe.

Oh sure, confirmation bias. That is something you ascribe to as much as me. As long as we can recognise that tendency, and accept those that contradict our preferences that is fine. I am just sceptical that there is a staggering difference by any metric.

OG_Thrills

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lol first time I see this 😂😂😂😂😂
OMG that was a grown ass man right there. Stuff like that makes me want to quit gaming threads it is so repulsive.
That is so embarrassing it breaks out of the embarrassing orb that should just surround that individual and covers me in embarrassment and shame.
giphy.gif

This is some stalker level shit right here.

You should have seen his reaction after XBOX "lost" the NPD that month despite him stalking. I laughed until I shed a tear and then blocked dude.

Deleted member 4274

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You should have seen his reaction after XBOX "lost" the NPD that month despite him stalking. I laughed until I shed a tear and then blocked dude.
Please grace us with this high level ether! I hate console wars. both consoles will be dope. I'm only buying PS5 because I enjoyed their VR and I'm kinda locked into their ecosystem. I don't buy Games physically. I could give a shit about power given what they've done with the current systems. If PS5 = checkerboard 4K for multiplats, who cares? I know I can't see the difference. I like their franchises. Same reason why I stay with Apple. I bought shit on theyre App Store. I'd like continued access to it.

Ivanovic

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I have a question to ask. I'm a total console tech noob so please don't jump down my throat.

The Series X has a slower SSD than the PS5. Can Microsoft somehow redesign the Series X to catch up with the PS5's SSD number before launch or is that impossible?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

AllChan7

Tries to be a positive role model
Apr 30, 2019
So if the difference in raw power between the 2 consoles is smaller than the difference between 1X and Pro, wouldn't that mean the difference in power isn't staggering????

Bugalugs214

Banned
Nov 26, 2017
It's not so much a "Devs react to ps5 specs" it's more of a "if this dev doesn't praise the almighty ps5 we're gunna bag them, chase up their history and pile on wankfest"

"But he's not even a dev anymore!111!"
Written by the same people that worship anything that guy uprooting tree stumps in Alaska said

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Are you serious?

A person without any form of proven reliability, that have not worked with game development for MANY years, gives this "information" to Timdog, he is not the source but someone else...

This is as reliable as Schreier?

Did you forget the /s?

Sorry, yes that was /s.
that guy asking for "reliableness" of that sony dev supposedly ignoring all other dev opinions so far.

Dec 8, 2018
It's not so much a "Devs react to ps5 specs" it's more of a "if this dev doesn't praise the almighty ps5 we're gunna bag them, chase up their history and pile on wankfest"

"But he's not even a dev anymore!111!"
Written by the same people that worship anything that guy uprooting tree stumps in Alaska said

Yeah developers using their personal twitter account talking about their own experiences of the PS5 is certainly just as questionable and suspect as someone not longer in game development that engage with timdog on twitter to tell him how someone else told him stuff is certainly equally reliable....