• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
To be clear Xbox has advantages. It will have higher resolutions, It could hit higher framerates but the assets will be pushed farther back or some cuts will be made. Also if i'm not mistak XSX has better RT hardware.These are two different theories on how to make a game :). We all win.

You are not taking into account that there may not be any VRS in the PS5

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
So now SSD's are the most important metric for power, cant make this shit up lol Cant wait for the DF face offs later this year.
its not the most important. the problem is that a lot of you are stuck on one metric or a couple and not looking at what the whole damn architecture puts together as a sum of its parts. this is why specsheet comparisons are stupid. Its like when people see an android phone processor with 8 cores, 16 gigs of ram and think the phone performs better than an iphone with 6 cores and 4 gigs of ram. when literally the OS, the APIs available and the efficiencies found within the architecture really tells how well a system is.

Nostradamus

Oct 28, 2017
But Jason said the PS5 would have more than 10.7 TF. And that the Xbox is behind and will likely come in hot. And that devs are frustrated with the lack of communication. Yet to all of us, it feels like they have been the most transparent. People like to take what he says and turn it into something else.
It's a lot easier to mistake specific details about a GPU than a developer raving about an SSD's capabilities though. And MS could be upfront with the consumers but that doesn't mean they were with the developers when they had to.

I think we need to at least agree that Jason isn't making things up and just reports what he hears. His TF number mistake might just be a misunderstanding between a developer raving about the GPU's capabilities over Stadia's (which is based on order architecture either way). I can also guess that since the specs are out of the bag now, a lot more developers are expressing their experiences to him.

Hellshy

Nov 5, 2017
I am not dismissing him. If he says something with concrete details, I will certainly believe. I am dismissing people using what he says and turning into their own narrative. Shortly after he made the 10.7 TF comment, he he said he had no idea what the TF number was and all he heard were things were double. But, for some reason, no remembers that.

Outlets were sent the info on specs early . Hes not supposed to leak anything and he did follow up and say playstion fans will be unhappy with the numbers , plus when he mentioned not knowing the numbers he put (lol) after it.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't hyping them up "just because"

They are hyping them up because excitement makes them money.

They don't "have" to do it, but it makes all the sense in the world to do so.
They don't need to, there are huge marketing machines taking care of creating hype. If one of the consoles is falling behind in hype, people will just converge to the leading one. Studios still make money because their potential audience is just as big, just on a different console.

The notion that these tweets are insincere because somehow the devs' livelihoods depend on it doesn't make sense.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017

Jason can't say who his sources are, journalism ethic (this is not sarcasm)
But Jason said the PS5 would have more than 10.7 TF. And that the Xbox is behind and will likely come in hot. And that devs are frustrated with the lack of communication. Yet to all of us, it feels like they have been the most transparent. People like to take what he says and turn it into something else.

Jason never said any of that.

He sais both are aiming to be better than Stadia (so, not a TF discussion, but either way, 10.23 RDNA2.0 is better than 10.7 GCN) and that Xbox is behind in communications with the dev community.

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
That is called marketing though. The way things are presented in marketing do not necessarily reflect what is actually going on behind the scenes. Which is why despite Sony's poor marketing for this console so far, devs are finding it to be far more capable and far more exciting than many seem to believe it is. What Jason said about communication was to do with devs though, which is likely one of the reasons you're not seeing as many devs brimming with excitement about the XSX.

JasoNsider

Developer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
If I had one wish it would be that people realize these upcoming consoles are immensely powerful, that multi-platform games will be nearly identical, and that the games in general are going to be phenomenal. It makes me sad to see all this warring instead of outright excitement. Your favorite games in the next generation are going to be wild.

(and, yes, the PS5 looks to be an incredible machine)

Mindtaker

Banned
Feb 4, 2018
If I had one wish it would be that people realize these upcoming consoles are immensely powerful, that multi-platform games will be nearly identical, and that the games in general are going to be phenomenal. It makes me sad to see all this warring instead of outright excitement. Your favorite games in the next generation are going to be wild.

Hopefully. I hope it doesn't end up in the same games with 4K / 60 and some graphic tweaks like RT.

Fj0823

Legendary Duelist
Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica

Yeah but you say that just cause you uh,...bought a Sony camera that one time?

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
They don't need to, there are huge marketing machines taking care of creating hype. If one of the consoles is falling behind in hype, people will just converge to the leading one. Studios still make money because their potential audience is just as big, just on a different console.

The notion that these tweets are insincere because somehow the devs' livelihoods depend on it doesn't make sense.
I never said they "had" to

And I never said their comments are "insincere"

You are arguing over points I never even attempted to make.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
There are a half dozen posts who aren't even reading the OP AND writing off impressions because 'lol these ppl work at Sony'. Forgetting Billy Khan who is from ID Software, developers from Breakfall, or the reporting from Jason Schrier.

Moreover, there's another half dozen posts who've convinced themselves the SSD is only about loading times. When there is a tweet in the OP that has a graph demonstrating the challenges of high fidelity assets in scene due to streaming complications.

Than there's your post - who is asking us to question the legitimacy of all these people - because this is a grand delusion of workplace Patriotism.
There is nothing delusional about thinking that the people who work in this industry might want to give a shout to the biggest dog on the block.

I've seen the graphs and data on this subject, and from what I know about these things an SSD all by itself allows for high fidelity assets due to how fast they can be streamed in. I do not believe the PS5's even faster SSD is going to be a noticeable difference maker in all but a few very specific situations. We'll see this when multiplatform games are compared at launch. I realize now that arguing about this until then is just a waste of time. People are going to believe what they want to believe.

Who is spinning the PS5 as more 'special' than the XsX and why on earth would you be insecure about that anyway?! There are plenty of good things to say about the XsX.
There are literally people suggesting that this faster SSD is going to "close the gap" when it comes to the Series X having a faster CPU, GPU, and more memory bandwidth. There is nothing rational about that.

Not, it's not enough that my console is really good, the other console has to be shit. Or I can't justify my purchase
It's funny you say this right after I literally said the exact opposite thing in the post you just replied to. Myself and I think most people are not suggesting the PS5 is bad in any way. It's merely a push back against all this talk about how an SSD is going to change everything we know about making video games as we know it. Both consoles have an SSD, and yes, the PS5 SSD is clearly faster, but the SSD all by itself is a game changer for games.

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
Jason can't say who his sources are, journalism ethic (this is not sarcasm)

Jason never said any of that.

He sais both are aiming to be better than Stadia (so, not a TF discussion, but either way, 10.23 RDNA2.0 is better than 10.7 GCN) and that Xbox is behind in communications with the dev community.

My point is that is what people took that as gospel. And he also said that Xbox recently updated devs on the new specs shortly after he said Xbox was behind with communication.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Uh you mean like exact res an framerates numbers ? If so maybe something like Xbx vs Pro ? 1440 - 1800 vs 2160
Yeah, thats what I meant. I hope you dont take it personally but you are aware that the delta between the two new consoles in GPU power is more than half as small as the one found between Xboxone X and PS4 Pro? A difference of 1440p vs 2160p seems not based on anything we have from the spec sheets. The delta should really not be bigger than native 1800p vs native 2160p, no? What do you expect the differences to be if both hit 4K 30/60 on a game?

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Alright crazy how the best breakdown of this I've seen yet is from a resetera user lul

Better res an framerates on XSX ?

Yeah I am slowly becoming convinced that this is the likely case, especially after watching the NX video this morning.

We also don't really know what software and other features could have an affect on that which the current gen consoles don't"
-VRS
-VRR
-Dynamic Resolution
-Middleware from first and third parties that could solve some problems or slightly make up for some hardware deficiencies (RT)
-How exactly RT works on PS5/XSX GPU's (I think we're waiting on AMD, right)
-The ways major engines like UE cater to the consoles
-etc

I definitely expect some weirdness for the first year at least. Remember when Thief on PS4 looked and ran better than XBO, but for some reason had poor AF implementation, so people ran wild with this "PS4 can't do AF" conspiracy theory?

Oct 27, 2017
So now SSD's are the most important metric for power, cant make this shit up lol Cant wait for the DF face offs later this year.
This is a weird take. No one is claiming that. With visual fidelity and performance, XSX will always have a slight advantage. People are excited because the PS5's architecture has taken some interesting divergent paths from the PC space in that they are pushing system throughput to the max via optimizing both the SSD and the entire I/O pipeline. This will obviously help with efficient utilization of all resources across the entire system pipeline, but it provides more interesting opportunities to change how game worlds and interactions are deigned, aside from visual fidelity and performance. Cerney gave the examples up front in his presentation and provided examples of the performance targets they are going for (think near realtime/sub 1 sec load of assets, etc. in the same vein of inline rom carts of old); this will streamline development by lowering overhead for managing assets in memory, making devs lives easier so they can focus on creating amazing gameplay experiences rather than spending an inordinate amount of time optimizing their streaming engines. It also minimizes world design limitations, LOD limitations, character variety limitations, and interaction limitations. These things all contribute to an expanded breadth of gameplay possibilities. With the visual fidelity and performance being more than adequate and near XSX's, I appreciate the focus on something more than just making the picture on the screen slightly sharper and smoother animating.

Pantato

Nov 5, 2019
The xbox has slight advantages in GPU power which will not be rendered completely useless by an superior SSD or a potential better RAM setup.
Im not wondering if the gap will be closed. Im wondering what an ultra fast SSD will bring to gamedesign. We know that Insomniac had to throttle the movement speed in Spider-Man because of streaming constraints. Now I wanna see how devs will use the PS5 SSD. LOD and movement speed is the main interest for me.
Ok, case study for an hypothetical engine.
Imagine an openworld game. The whole area around you is loaded as low level of detail, and occupies about 2GB in main memory. But what is in your field of view is loaded as high level of detail and takes 8GB in memory. When you do a rotation, new high detail assets are being loaded from the SSD and old one discarded. Human eyes FOV is about 120 deg, that's a third of a full rotation, so a full rotation will cycle 24GB of data. With the PS5 SSD, a full rotation will take about 4 seconds, on SeriesX it will take 10s, considering only raw numbers.
For the SeriesX to match the PS5 speed, a full rotation in 4s, the amount of cyclable high res asset would need to be lowered to 3GB. This kind of engine wouldn't even work with a SATA SSD...
Also, raytracing will be done against the low res assets, which should improve performance without sacrifying too much of visual fidelity.
Of course this is simplified to the extreme, but there are many other ways to take advantage of an ultra fast SSD!

Last edited:

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
My point is that is what people took that as gospel. And he also said that Xbox recently updated devs on the new specs shortly after he said Xbox was behind with communication.

But so, it was not incorrect? Just asking because the way I read through your comments is that we should not trust what Jason is saying, but that's maybe a misinterpretation from my end (sorry if that's the case)

thuway

Oct 27, 2017
There is nothing delusional about thinking that the people who work in this industry might want to give a shout to the biggest dog on the block.

I've seen the graphs and data on this subject, and from what I know about these things an SSD all by itself allows for high fidelity assets due to how fast they can be streamed in. I do not believe the PS5's even faster SSD is going to be a noticeable difference maker in all but a few very specific situations. We'll see this when multiplatform games are compared at launch. I realize now that arguing about this until then is just a waste of time. People are going to believe what they want to believe.
This is precisely the problem! This is what you believe.

You are willing to write off the opinion of seasoned veteran developers from some of the top studios in the world because you have an inherent belief that something Sony spent hundreds of millions of dollars on customizing is a bad solution. You are also willing to write off Jason Schrier who just last week trashed Sony's top studio.

I'm also afraid you haven't actually looked into the customizations Sony has done on the SSD side. It's not just about the SSD being twice as fast. The PS5's SSD has its own CPU, has a very large SRAM pool, has a novel indexing system, has a Kraken engine (equivalent in power to a Zen 2 cores), has GPU scrubbers (to alleviate the burden of GPU stalls) - and I could go on and on and on. This isn't about 2.4 vs 5 gb/s. This is about a REVOLUTIONARY way of how the the console speaks between its parts.

So please - XSX is a great machine and will most likely have better RT / Resolution, but the PS5 SSD is a whole lot better and has a ton of extra hardware in the machine to help it so. The PS5 will have better quality assets per frame - and it was designed with that purpose.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Well to be clear, I'm not saying they should be saying anything critical about the PS5. It looks like it's going to be great.

The only point I'm making is that I wouldn't take these positive tweets as confirmation that the PS5 is remarkable and going to revolutionize the gaming world as we know it with it's god like SSD technology. It's a fine console and I'm excited to own one, but there is no reason to try and be spinning it as somehow more special or incredible than the Series X which looks every bit as impressive if not more so.

But Jason has said that lots of developers have been telling him this, both first and third party. What reason would there be for them to speak about it in such terms if they didn't actually believe it? They're obviously seeing something in it that's really impressing them. Some seem to be taking their praise of the PS5 as being a slight against the Series X, when none of them have said anything negative about it. Go listen to DF's talk about the PS5. They even say that Sony's approach is very different compared to MS. That's not intended to be a knock on MS, it's just pointing out that they're different. Similarly John says that he's happy that they are because it'll make comparisons more interesting since the consoles aren't carbon copies of each other as he'd feared.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
You are not taking into account that there may not be any VRS in the PS5

Why are people still pushing this?

You know it'd be way more believable that you'd be so irritated with inaccurate information if you didn't post inaccurate information on the very same page of the thread.

Urgh

Banned
May 10, 2019

You are willing to write off the opinion of seasoned veteran developers from some of the top studios in the world because you have an inherent belief that something Sony spent hundreds of millions of dollars on customizing is a bad solution. You are also willing to write off Jason Schrier who just last week trashed Sony's top studio.

I'm also afraid you haven't actually looked into the customizations Sony has done on the SSD side. It's not just about the SSD being twice as fast. The PS5's SSD has its own CPU, has a very large SRAM pool, has a novel indexing system, has a Kraken engine (equivalent in power to a Zen 2 cores), has GPU scrubbers (to alleviate the burden of GPU stalls) - and I could go on and on and on. This isn't about 2.4 vs 5 gb/s. This is about a REVOLUTIONARY way of how the the console speaks between its parts.

So please - XSX is a great machine and will most likely have better RT / Resolution, but the PS5 SSD is a whole lot better and has a ton of extra hardware in the machine to help it so. The PS5 will have better quality assets per frame - and it was designed with that purpose.

you appear to have a lot of your identity tied up in an unreleased bit of plastic and are taking skepticism as a personal attack. Please stop doing that.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019

But Jason has said that lots of developers have been telling him this, both first and third party. What reason would there be for them to speak about it in such terms if they didn't actually believe it? They're obviously seeing something in it that's really impressing them. Some seem to be taking their praise of the PS5 as being a slight against the Series X, when none of them have said anything negative about it. Go listen to DF's talk about the PS5. They even say that Sony's approach is very different compared to MS. That's not intended to be a knock on MS, it's just pointing out that they're different. Similarly John says that he's happy that they are because it'll make comparisons more interesting since the consoles aren't carbon copies of each other as he'd feared.
I'm just going to reply to both of you since you're saying similar things.

I would love to be wrong about this. I am really excited about both of these consoles. I will likely own both in short order. Should be exciting times this fall when they're both out. Good day to both of you. :)

meenseen84

Feb 15, 2018
Minneapolis
But so, it was not incorrect? Just asking because the way I read through your comments is that we should not trust what Jason is saying, but that's maybe a misinterpretation from my end (sorry if that's the case)

No I certainly trust him. I'm merely suggesting his words are sometimes taken out of context and hearing things is different than knowing things.

IOTS

Dec 13, 2019
Ok, case study for an hypothetical engine.
Imagine an openworld game. The whole area around you is loaded as low level of detail, and occupies about 2GB in main memory. But what is in your field of view is loaded as high level of detail and takes 8GB in memory. When you do a rotation, new high detail assets are being loaded from the SSD and old one discarded. Human eyes FOV is about 120 deg, that's a third of a full rotation, so a full rotation will cycle 24GB of data. With the PS5 SSD, a full rotation will take about 4 seconds, on SeriesX it will take 10s, considering only raw numbers.
For the SeriesX to match the PS5 speed, a full rotation in 4s, the amount of cyclable high res asset would need to be lowered to 3GB. This kind of engine wouldn't even work with a SATA SSD...
Also, raytracing will be done against the low res assets, which should improve performance without sacrifying too much of visual fidelity.
Of course this is simplified to the extreme, but there are many other ways to take advantage of an ultra fast SSD!
Sound great. Now we only have to see some gameplay, lol.

Phellps

Oct 25, 2017
Well, yeah. But that was in response to this:

A question for everyone in this thread to ask themselves. How often do you see developers shit on a console? How often do you see developers even be critical of a console?

The old adage you don't shit where you make your living comes to mind. PlayStation is the market leader.
This is Alex Jones level conspiracy projection.

Which is why I replied under the perception that you agreed with RingRang.
The bottom line is that developers don't need to comment at all on how good or exciting a new console is. If they are, they're doing it because they're actually excited about it. We know, that devs being negative about it is not something we will normally see because that would sour their relationship with the platform holder, but in that case, they'd all just stay silent.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
I said nothing about it being "insidious"

You're implying it by making this seem like it's about marketing. They are just sharing their thoughts first and foremost.

Some of y'all are too emotional about this, I fucking swear.

No, some of yall are just being ridiculous. (Yall means you specifically)

I simply said positivity is what should be expected out of developers in the lead up to new hardware.

That's not what you said.

You said

"Their words are almost as important as the platform holders in selling these consoles"

Which is literally not how consoles sales have ever worked. You are framing their words as marketing first and foremost when its just people sharing their thoughts and excitement.

The things they say can and do promote the hardware. That's why we are here talking about them.

Talking about anything with any positivity is promotion but that doesn't mean the comments are made in the interest of marketing and selling boxes like you implied. This is horseshit.

Its people excited about new possibilities. Treating it as marketing is literally trying to frame their words as something they aren't.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
Which is why I replied under the perception that you agreed with RingRang.
The bottom line is that developers don't need to comment at all on how good or exciting a new console is. If they are, they're doing it because they're actually excited about it. We know, that devs being negative about it is not something we will normally see because that would sour their relationship with the platform holder, but in that case, they'd all just stay silent.

Agreed. Devs seem happy with MS putting together a box with a lot of needed and forward-facing features that you'd see on PC. Devs seem happy that Sony is trying something new an exotic and exciting. We're all winners here.

MonsterMech

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
You're implying it by making this seem like it's about marketing. They are just sharing their thoughts first and foremost.
no I'm not "implying" anything. Respond to the words i actually typed or leave me alone.

No, some of yall are just being ridiculous. (Yall means you specifically)
Im not the one being ridiculous here.

Devs excited about new hardware is not really notable news, it's to be expected.

That's not what you said.

You said

"Their words are almost as important as the platform holders in selling these consoles"

Which is literally not how consoles sales have ever worked. You are framing their words as marketing first and foremost when its just people sharing their thoughts and excitement.
Im not framing them as anything. Obviously people view them as marketing which is why we have this thread.

Talking about anything with any positivity is promotion but that doesn't mean the comments are made in the interest of marketing and selling boxes like you implied. This is horseshit.

Its people excited about new possibilities. Treating it as marketing is literally trying to frame their words as something they aren't.
Genuine excitement can be and is marketing. They aren't two mutually exclusive concepts.

Devs can be excited and quiet. They know their words hold lots of weight so they are very deliberate in what they do and do not say publicly.

Micerider

Nov 11, 2017
No I certainly trust him. I'm merely suggesting his words are sometimes taken out of context and hearing things is different than knowing things.

Oh Ok, that clears it up, thanks, and I agree :)

Otherwise, I am really enthusiast about both machines, and can't wait for games optimized for them to see the light of day as I also think it could be amazing. And yes, I'd rather talk about that than just explaining why both approaches are great and that we have to look beyond just isolated numbers on a spec sheet.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Interesting comments from someone in the Dev industry in comments section in the latest TheVerge article on PS5 v Xbox XS Link to the article:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/18/...ries-x-comparison-specs-features-release-date

He says Xbox XSX is more powerful and easier to develop for, and Microsoft caught Sony off guard with their initial announcement and they have been scrambling ever since.

Link to the user so you don't have to trawl though hundreds of comments:

https://www.theverge.com/users/JR78#activity

Some extracts:
Yikes. Shame Sony lacked the foresight in planning the PS5.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Until we hear what features the PS5 gpu (like VRS), the only words I am going to take are from the games and company itself. This whole insider situation that just occurred, has really put a damper on 'sources'

Dec 8, 2018
Like I said, you guys are just too emotional about this stuff.

It's common sense, lots of consoles sell, developers have more customers to sell to.
They should be the most excited out of everybody at the prospects of new hardware.

They aren't hyping them up "just because"

They are hyping them up because excitement makes them money.

They don't "have" to do it, but it makes all the sense in the world to do so.

Devs get paid because of the game development they do.

In your POV everybody working in any place should on their personal twitter account as a marketing front for the company they work in.

And also these are third party developer why would they care if they sell one extra copy on PS? They probably get the same from instead getting it on Xbox, Switch or PC.

It's just nonsense

Giant Panda

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly based on the information we have now it appears the differences between XSX and PS5 games is going to be minimal. XSX will probably have ~20%-~10% higher resolution or graphical effects, and a little bit more RT depending upon the workload and game. XSX may have an extra NPC or two onscreen at any one time due to faster CPU speeds. PS5 games will load a bit faster and will have more effective RAM as they are able to load from SSD to RAM at twice the speed.

Maybe we'll learn that one of the console's secret sauces will actually make a bigger difference than expected, but as we stand right now that's not really the case.

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
Until we hear what features the PS5 gpu (like VRS), the only words I am going to take are from the games and company itself. This whole insider situation that just occurred, has really put a damper on 'sources'

I didn't get involved with that stuff so the spec news hasn't bothered me much.
I would like to hear from people about what they want to do with the tech though, i don't count that as insider leaking.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
Interesting comments from someone in the Dev industry in comments section in the latest TheVerge article on PS5 v Xbox XS Link to the article:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/18/...ries-x-comparison-specs-features-release-date

He says Xbox XSX is more powerful and easier to develop for, and Microsoft caught Sony off guard with their initial announcement and they have been scrambling ever since.

Link to the user so you don't have to trawl though hundreds of comments:

https://www.theverge.com/users/JR78#activity

Some extracts:
Oh boy , this won't go well. Get ready for a few more threads today