• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Ex-Sony Game Designer (F1, Killzone 2, Wipeout)

We will only know when a game is designed for the XSX, any game just being modified to work on it won't have the same level of optimization. Also, there are different levels of RT that different games will have use for.

Second hand information from an unknown source. Why don't these devs come out and state their opinion with their actual names attached?

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand why people get so emotionally invested in these companies and their consoles. Like, these are products. I can understand why you might feel strongly about a game, because games can be art, and art resonates with people. But hardware?

You buy the console you want to buy, others will do the same, and that's about it. The relative "power" of a console should only matter as far as it helps you make that decision. What does anyone achieve by being rude and hostile to others about their choices?

To me it's about the blind faith and attachment some people have for these companies that if you criticize one then you're must be a fan of the other.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
User Banned (1 Day): Console wars
Second hand information from an unknown source. Why don't these devs come out and state their opinion with their actual names attached?

Because they are under NDA and because they want to keep in their jobs, making games for PS5 even if it's underpowered.

Oct 25, 2017
Houston
entire thread of people not believing devs
Tim Dog of all people and 1 dev 2nd hand account says something different and already got someone just like yep true facts

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Oct 27, 2017
Because you don't bite the hand that feeds you. Also NDA.
This. How people can't seem to understand that is mind-blowing. You can't say, "Hi. I'm a developer at Ubisoft and the SX shits all over the PS5." The best we'll get (assuming no long-term NDAs) is confirmation of what we already know (the SX is more powerful) and then some qualification about how the PS5 is still good.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Because they are under NDA and because they want to keep in their jobs, making games for PS5 even if it's underpowered.

He hasn't worked for Sony for several years and now works in a different field in sports software (not games or gaming hardware related), so I don't think he'd be under any sort of NDA, but likewise that doesn't mean he would necessarily want to divulge information that could get friends in trouble.

Right now we have sources like JSchreier and Moore's Law is Dead claiming the devs they've spoken to say both console trade blows or get roughly similar frame times, but then we have this new tweet claiming the opposite.

I guess we'll only know for sure when the games finally actually release.

Side note, this is a pretty good video that discusses some of the business side applications and considerations too.

Cyborg

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

A lot is but it seems that RT is weaker on PS5 like other things are. And it seems RT benefits from a powerful GPU it could be that RT implementation is much better on XSX. Its not completely impossible what that ex-dev is saying. Also the memory bandwidth on PS5 could be posting some troubles.

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017

Ex-Sony Game Designer (F1, Killzone 2, Wipeout)

We will only know when a game is designed for the XSX, any game just being modified to work on it won't have the same level of optimization. Also, there are different levels of RT that different games will have use for.

Dude is credit as "Other" in Killzone 2, barely touched anything Sony related in over a decade, focused most of his career in pre 2010 Formula 1 games (which are Multiplat)... But sure.... "Ex Sony Dev" is the catchy title i suppose...

I guess "Guy that did some work in a sony title almost 20 years ago and now works on Marketing platforms for sports team agrees with Xbox Fanboy" is not as catchy...

ioa6nPA.jpg

BB00fjc.jpg

I mean... for fucks sake people. Are you all THIS bored that you must scramble to add dots to your side of your argument with whatever someone posts online? Talk about tangential....

Alucardx23

Nov 8, 2017
Tim Dog of all people and 1 dev 2nd hand account says something different and already got someone just like yep true facts

I have seen several examples of developers stating how strong will the PS5 be, but I haven't see any examples from developers saying that the PS5 will be better in overall than the XSX, can you share these?

Anarion07

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
What are we arguing about again? Ive gotten lost in all this craziness.
Well XBX is better than PS5 in TF but PS5 is better than XBX because SSD so its actually the same but devs say PS5 will be a beast but they're first party and also third party but only indie so tht doesnt count and now one ex sony dev says the difference is staggering in favor of XBX so actually both consoles will be quite fucking amazing.

Hoo-doo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

You can't trust developers who put their name and reputation on the line, instead we lean on unknown sources. Surely they are more legit.

This damn thread sometimes.

STech

Sep 24, 2018
He hasn't worked for Sony for several years and now works in a different field in sports software (not games or gaming hardware related), so I don't think he'd be under any sort of NDA, but likewise that doesn't mean he would necessarily want to divulge information that could get friends in trouble.

I was talking about the "second hand opinions"

Dec 8, 2018
A lot is but it seems that RT is weaker on PS5 like other things are. And it seems RT benefits from a powerful GPU it could be that RT implementation is much better on XSX. Its not completely impossible what that ex-dev is saying. Also the memory bandwidth on PS5 could be posting some troubles.

Using math you can calculate how MS reach their numbers and it's based on CU and clockspeed and the amount of RT on PS5 should be the same difference as the TF difference roughly 15% less.

Deleted member 20297

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dude is credit as "Other" in Killzone 2, barely touched anything Sony related in over a decade, focused most of his career in pre 2010 Formula 1 games (which are Multiplat)... But sure.... "Ex Sony Dev" is the catchy title i suppose...

I guess "Guy that did some work in a sony title almost 20 years ago and now works on Marketing platforms for sports team agrees with Xbox Fanboy" is not as catchy...

ioa6nPA.jpg

BB00fjc.jpg

I mean... for fucks sake people. Are you all THIS bored that you must scramble to add dots to your side of your argument with whatever someone posts online? Talk about tangential....
He still spent more time on actually making games than all arm chair developers who attended the udemy "getting a CS degree by watching a gdc video" will ever do.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017
I can't believe console wars are still a thing in 2020. Some of the stuff I'm seeing on Twitter... Like, damn some people need to grow up lol

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Hes been at it so long hes gotta be a grown ass man by now

This isn't meant to be only against Xbox but is there this kind of equivalent on the Sony or Nintendo side? Is there some Sony or Nintendo account that is just pure zealotry. I know when it comes to fanboys in general it's equal on all sides but I swear on Microsoft draws these large nutter accounts

metalgear89

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tim dog been at it since neogaf. This mofo is probably a gen x/boomer. How pathetic do you have to be console warring at that age.

Deleted member 22585

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
EU
Well XBX is better than PS5 in TF but PS5 is better than XBX because SSD so its actually the same but devs say PS5 will be a beast but they're first party and also third party but only indie so tht doesnt count and now one ex sony dev says the difference is staggering in favor of XBX so actually both consoles will be quite fucking amazing.

Haha great write-up :-)

Bruceleeroy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Orange County
Tim dog been at it since neogaf. This mofo is probably a gen x/boomer. How pathetic do you have to be console warring at that age.

I can't believe console wars are still a thing in 2020. Some of the stuff I'm seeing on Twitter... Like, damn some people need to grow up lol

Truly it's so nuts. I understand if your a kid and can only afford one system but once you are not strapped and can afford more than the one system how can you not just appreciate all of them

Patent

Self-requested ban
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
North Carolina
This isn't meant to be only against Xbox but is there this kind of equivalent on the Sony or Nintendo side? Is there some Sony or Nintendo account that is just pure zealotry. I know when it comes to fanboys in general it's equal on all sides but I swear on Microsoft draws these large nutter accounts
Im sure that there are but the top brass of xbox deals with them directly and thats the main difference kinda puts them in the spotlight how it seems to me anyways

VanWinkle

Oct 25, 2017

ioa6nPA.jpg

BB00fjc.jpg

I mean, I see no reason not to believe that he's talked to devs, though. It's possible that some devs just much prefer the Series X's architecture and appreciate the added GPU/CPU power.

Kaswa101

Oct 28, 2017

Next time on DRAGON BALL Z

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
There's definitely saddos as equally sad, but high ups at Nintendo and SIE don't really shine a spotlight on them, unlike on the Xbox side.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
In what world is a 1.8~ tflop difference "staggering"

That's almost exactly the PS4 Pro -> XB1X raw tflop gap, it's not staggering now, why would it be staggering when the proportional tflop gap will be half the size it is now

Stixitnu

Self-requested ban
Banned
Apr 9, 2018
Imagine having to post Timdog to prove a point. Couldn't be me. Guy is a fanboy of the highest order

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017
I have seen several examples of developers stating how strong will the PS5 be, but I haven't see any examples from developers saying that the PS5 will be better in overall than the XSX, can you share these?

I don't think that is what he mean.
You have people in here saying what devs saying don't matter for what ever reason .( like you said none of them saying it stronger than XSX )
But this one person with second hand information saying it's a big gap so it must be true.

Adum

May 30, 2019
I know but if you believe that means they can get it to 4K60FPS a increase of more that would require more than 4 times the computation and then some is not probable in any sense.
If one dev dicking around for a week managed to get Minecraft running at 1080/30 at that level of Rraytracing fidelity, then there's always that long shot that proper optimization and enough time/resources could get that to 1080/60. I'd take that over 4k/30 any day.