• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
User warned: Creating an initially slanted thread to stoke platform warring. History of similar behaviour.
Following the thread we had for the PS5 spec reveal, I'm making this to compile the reactions from developers across Twitter and other social media. For "Official" reactions, Both Xbox's own YT channel as well as Digital Foundry have uploaded videos on the system:

As for some of the dev reactions:

Developers talked to Patrick Klepek:

Id Software Programmer:

Remedy Technical Producer:
unknown.png

IdSoftware Lead Engine Programmer:
EhlC11rWsAEZELo.jpeg

Infinity Ward Multiplayer Designer:
unknown.png

Game Director (ex EA, Infinity Ward and other studios):
unknown.png

Remedy Communications Director:
unknown.png

unknown.png

Flavorworks Creative Director:
unknown.png

Squanch Games Gameplay Programmer (full thread here):
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

IdSoftware Engine Programmer:
unknown.png

unknown.png

DICE QA:
unknown.png

Last edited:

LilScooby77

Dec 11, 2019
So it seems those devs are not happy about the S at all.

Edit: more positive quotes have been added.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
MS really like their split memory banks

Although a 4TFLOP system of that size makes me wonder what a Switch 2 will be 2-3 years down the line from now

Toumari

Oct 27, 2017
England
I hope this RAM issue doesn't have an impact for third-party Series X and PS5 games, as Series S is now the baseline for next-gen games.

Oct 30, 2017
Yeah I thought this to be pretty obvious.

If Series S specs were sufficient for what developers wanted out of this generation, that would be the baseline.

Instead of getting a pro model, we got the opposite with the S.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering how this console will handle games 3 years from now when most games will be much more demanding.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
I think how the Series S performs once next gen third party games start relying heavily on the GPU will be interesting.

I want the new consoles to take advantage of all the features and potential of the platform.

How many years into the cycle will Series S not be worthy of recommendation? It's also why I don't really like how the iterative consoles worked this gen. This seems like it will be worse.

Chettlar

Oct 25, 2017
Not hearing it's definitively more powerful than the one x is disappointing. I would have at least have hoped for a side grade, and it seems they were almost there too :/ Apparently the goal of ensuring next gen could all do X enhanced at least I just figured was a given.

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
I think it will be fine its basically what devs have to account for on pc

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
RAM allocation looks to be the major concern as to why this console will bottleneck the platform development

Lom1lo

Oct 27, 2017
Not hearing it's definitively more powerful than the one x is disappointing. I would have at least have hoped for a side grade, and it seems they were almost there too :/ Apparently the goal of ensuring next gen could all do X enhanced at lost I just figured was a given.
But it is definitely more powerful

xem

Oct 31, 2017
Here's Robert Bowling responding to someone asking about two of those negative dev responses

Also, I think the Remedy one is more about needing to target another platform (since someone asked if it was about optimization and he said it was) rather than needing to "scale down" the game in a substantial way

Time will tell I guess
ok so hes just proving the point that if Series S didnt exist and the target was just consoles (series X and ps5) then the game could be designed for the higher spec hardware.

Xpider_MX

Aug 13, 2020
México
Here's Robert Bowling responding to someone asking about two of those negative dev responses

Also, I think the Remedy one is more about needing to target another platform (since someone asked if it was about optimization and he said it was) rather than needing to "scale down" the game in a substantial way

Time will tell I guess

The slower part of ram is for OS, ganes uses the 8Gb of faster ram.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
I think in like 2-3 years this will play out similiar to base console versions vs. Pro console versions of games as it is right now towards the end of the gen.

Uzupedro

Banned
May 16, 2020
Rio de Janeiro
I wished for more insight than that, of course this could be due NDA or some shit like that, but this is what people are discussing for months but being ''confirmed''.
Well, time will tell.

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Not hearing it's definitively more powerful than the one x is disappointing. I would have at least have hoped for a side grade, and it seems they were almost there too :/ Apparently the goal of ensuring next gen could all do X enhanced at least I just figured was a given.
...it is more powerful.

Nov 2, 2017
I think how the Series S performs once next gen third party games start relying heavily on the GPU will be interesting.

I want the new consoles to take advantage of all the features and potential of the platform.

How many years into the cycle will Series S not be worthy of recommendation?
The GPU is not the issue. It's the much lower RAM and bandwidth.

Oct 30, 2017

Time will tell I guess
If he's referring to the PS4 to PS4 Pro and Xbox One to Xbox One X situation, it's not really the same.

The vast majority of console owners are playing roughly at 1.3-1.8tf. The games are largely made to be surely playable on those machines. Nothing too intensive for those machines. Then the Pro and X basically up the rendering resolution and some added graphical bells and whistles.

More than 50% of next gen gamers will be playing on a 10 TF machine or above. First are foremost the PS5 and SX versions will be taken care of. Especially as games get more technically demanding.

Deleted member 50232

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 3, 2018

It's definitively more powerful than Xbox one x.

Modern, faster CPU. SSD. Modern GPU.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
As a consumer, it seems fine for me as a complimentary console for people who are primarily on PS (or even Switch) as a way to catch up on Gamepass, backlog BC, or MS first party stuff. I definitely think there could be some concerns as to where it is 2-3 years down the line, specifically for those first party MS games, and whether the S impacts them (especially if the S ends up outselling the X).

YozoraXV

Oct 30, 2017
I don't see the XSS being an issue just push the resolution to 1080p if you are struggling to optimize it.

PC devs have been doing this kind of scaling for years and it wasn't a problem.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
From the initial announcements, I thought GPU and SSD space were the only things that were reduced (losing 8 TF is still a lot though), but yea - if they had to reduce RAM greatly, I definitely feel like it's going to require some ingenuity to build a game around 2 vastly different RAM speeds/capacities that won't seem "compromised".

RSena7

Oct 26, 2017
I find it amusing that posters were dogpiled for being "concerned" about the Series S. I really wonder if it will see the same (or similar) fate as the Kinect before long (i.e. mandatory support being dropped 2-3 years into the generation).

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
Can't wait to finally get more candid dev reactions and opinions about all the next gen machines.

scottbeowulf

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I honestly expected a better reception. Not that it's all bad. But right out of the gate there's more negativity than I thought there would be. It'll be very interesting to get comparisons between games/platforms but we won't get any of that until launch or very close to it.

Shairi

Aug 27, 2018
Like some of the devs in the OP, I also believe that it will lead to issues in optimization and that Series S will hold back next gen in the long run.

I really hoped that Microsoft would drop Lockhart. But it is what it is.

Rivyn

Oct 26, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.