• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017

30fps ceiling. Drops to the 20's depending on location and number of players.

All the major geometry is there. Feels like the entire package. Looks surprisingly good despite the drawbacks.

Docked mode: 900p with dynamic resolution (goes as low as 729p).

Portable: 720p with dynamic resolution (goes as low as 360p (rare)).

Draw distance is cut with lots of grass pop-in.

Poor texture filtering makes it look blurry.

Some noticeable network lag over wifi.

Last edited:
Oct 29, 2017
Holds up pretty well really! Shame about the poor texture filtering, that's the biggest blemish by far. Hopefully it'll improve over time, like how Epic have improved the other versions since their respective launches.

I hope they do an iPhone X/iPhone 8 comparison at some point! Would love to see how they compare to the Switch version! (Base PS4/Xbone comparisons would be great too, considering that they are a much fairer point of comparison than the XboneX).

Oct 29, 2017
Out of curiosity, how does one log into the same game on two different platforms simultaneously?

They don't. They play as different characters, die on purpose on one console and then spectate the other.

Goes down to 360p... OMG!
30fps is really a downside too.

Well outside that looks like a good port.

It doesn't do that regularly, that's just the lowest it can go. It spends most of its time at around 720p in handheld mode. All versions of Fortnite use a similar dynamic resolution setup.

Deleted member 32018

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Yeah I'm not sure that this was a good comparison to show (I think they did the same with the iPhone X too).

A comparison with the iOS version and perhaps the standard Xbox version would have been better.

It looks like Epic certainly have room for improvement but with how well they've supported the other versions I expect them to definitely improve the performance.

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, I'm impressed at the port and really enjoying playing it. Here's hoping they optimize it further for better framerate and resolution in the coming months.

TheGift

Oct 28, 2017
Central California
Holds up pretty well really! Shame about the poor texture filtering, that's the biggest blemish by far. Hopefully it'll improve over time, like how Epic have improved the other versions since their respective launches.

I hope they do an iPhone X/iPhone 8 comparison at some point! Would love to see how they compare to the Switch version! (Base PS4/Xbone comparisons would be great too, considering that they are a much fairer point of comparison than the XboneX).

This is anectodal of course, but I feel like it runs quite a bit better on my iPhone X.

New Fang

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And this is the version of the game some PS4 owners are furious they can't use their account on.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
comparing it with the One X makes little sense. should have just done the IOS version, and maybe the OG Xbox at worse

Lampa

Feb 13, 2018
Nice analysis, would love to see a comparison to iPhones as well.
Played it in portable mode, didn't mind either the 360p or 30fps. 60 would be better but at least it was rather stable for me. Switch is a 6" 720p screen, lower res way less noticeable than on a TV/Monitor.

Windrunner

Sly
Oct 25, 2017
Those heavy drops to 25fps or less in firefights look really bad, that's barely playable territory.

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
It's not a looker, but it is still fun in portable mode. And the concessions are a bit more acceptable there.

Nov 8, 2017
Has anyone noticed the weird low resolution graininess that occurs on and around models like player characters? Do an emote on the home screen and carefully watch the character, it looks almost like video compression artifacts. You can see it on the mini satellite dish on the party bus as it flies over the island too. Like it's only rendering some of the pixels and the rest are 'filled in', almost looks like a refraction effect. What is that?

My guess is it's some optimization thing that lets it render less pixels per frame. Scrubbed through the video and didn't see it mentioned, but maybe I missed it.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
You really have truly low standards if you think its acceptable to have a game in 2018 to run at 360p/30fps

It's a good job that it hardly ever touches 360p then (Only seen around 480p as the lowest from my rough pixel counts). Continue to point out just the negative parts to fit your agenda though. I'll just have fun playing the game knowing that Epic have been excellent with their post-release support and will improve it further :)

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
It feels like a huge downgrade coming from the PS4 version. Incredibly blurry, noticeably choppy, and full of pop-in and other weird visual anomalies.
And yet I can't stop playing because of how fun it is to romp across the map wiping out noobs.

Oct 26, 2017
Has anyone noticed the weird low resolution graininess that occurs on and around models like player characters? Do an emote on the home screen and carefully watch the character, it looks almost like video compression artifacts. You can see it on the mini satellite dish on the party bus as it flies over the island too. Like it's only rendering some of the pixels and the rest are 'filled in', almost looks like a refraction effect. What is that?

My guess is it's some optimization thing that lets it render less pixels per frame. Scrubbed through the video and didn't see it mentioned, but maybe I missed it.
Yeah noticed that too. As if the game only renders every second line of pixels in these instances and tries to reconstruct the image from that?

Sleve McDichael

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I played one match on Tuesday, in portable mode (and basically stumbled my way into a win), but found the blurry image to make it realllly inferior to the other versions of the game. In some cases I couldn't even tell what I was aiming at in the distance.
Hopefully they can improve the performance with future updates.

Alvis

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Spain
You have really, REALLY low standards if you think its acceptable to have a game in 2018 running at 360p/30fps.
Oh, but it doesn't. That's the lowest it can go, and almost never reaches that number. It hovers around a bit less than 720p usually. And if your brain is functional enough to operate a computer, it is functional enough to understand this, too. So why do you willingly troll? Why do you say this game is "30 FPS 360p" when it factually isn't?

LogN-

Oct 30, 2017
Yikes at 30fps, still cool the game is there but that's a pretty big downgrade. How can you be expected to play cross-plat with such a huge performance difference?

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
You guys can stick to your 30FPS port, while I carry my PS4 with a HDR TV wherever I go in a luggage, complete with a solar panel, in 60FPS goodness.

IvanJCroft

Banned
Jan 15, 2018
Venezuela
never could get into the game on PS4 but now on switch i've already put way more play time in it lol

i play mostly portable and FPS or Resolution haven't been a problem to me at all.