• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Mod Edit: This is a sponsored video. It says that in the video and in the title of the video. It should be obvious it's a sponsored video. Please do not make posts in this thread about how this is a sponsored video. Everyone who watches the video will know it's a sponsored video because they tell you it's a sponsored video. Sponsored video.

Great video, which just got me to buy Homefront: Revolution. HDR is a huge game changer this gen.

List of games featured: (Thanks Gowans )

Assassin's Creed Origins
Forza Motorsport 7
Homefront Revolution
Final Fantasy XV
Rise of the Tomb Raider
Hitman
CoD WWII
Gears of War 4

Last edited by a moderator:

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm. This makes me want to get Homefront. Damn that game is a looker now.
What kind of game is it? Open world shooter?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty nifty solution for AC:Origins. What was the music track playing during Forza 7?

Gowans

Oct 27, 2017
North East, UK
Really enjoyed this video, was waiting for a nice long run down of picks from DF.

Homefront is on sale for a tenner, I did check the trial pre and after, think I'll grab.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
The views are still independent. Please stop this.
But the content isn't. This is a video I could've seen DF do anyway, with or without corporate sponsoring, but without it, it would've definitely looked a lot different.
I don't think that full independence is possible when content is sponsored by corporate interest.
I am uncomfortable about the way Microsoft uses DigitalFoundry as a marketing tool.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX
I've yet to experience HDR myself, probably when I get a new TV in 2020 or so.

But the content isn't. This is a video I could've seen DF do anyway, with or without corporate sponsoring, but without it, it would've definitely looked a lot different.
I don't think that full independence is possible when content is sponsored by corporate interest.
I am uncomfortable about the way Microsoft uses DigitalFoundry as a marketing tool.
I have no problem with sponsored content. What do you mean by using DF as a 'marketing tool'?

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe your concern arises from taking this shit too seriously.
Why in the seven hells does a company using another company to market their product make you uncomfortable...?

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017

Jesus....

You're simply wrong. MS was confident in their products to have DF pick it apart. Nothing wrong with that.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
So these videos on YouTube are really need on S8 they are unwatchable.

It's choppy. I wish they works actually update the app. I would download from the Patreon but I don't have that much data ;(

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Erm whats the problem here? As an X owner i want to know tbe best implementation of HDR and to understand how different games apply the tech. HDR imo is just as important as 4k, im enjoying gaming more because of it, how is it controversial for DF to produce a video that informs me and others with an X ?

DF done a "best TV for Pro" earlier too, this is extremely helpful given we dont possess the insight and equipment the experts at DF do.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
I've yet to experience HDR myself, probably when I get a new TV in 2020 or so.

I have no problem with sponsored content. What do you mean by using DF as a 'marketing tool'?

Microsoft structured almost their entire marketing campaign for X1X around the power narrative. At the end of this message stand differences that are almost unnoticeable if you see the games in motion side by side on big TVs, meaning that its pretty much impossible to convey these differences in conventional ads or your normal youtube content.
So Microsoft relies on DF to quantify the differences in their videos with resolution counts, framerate graphs, and 300% zooms.

The fact that MS relies on a media outlets coverage here and the fact that they start sponsoring this media outlets coverage of their product is definitely concerning if you ask me.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
Has there been a negative HDR experience on X or Pro yet? Seems like a hard thing to mess up so far.

Marshall

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft structured almost their entire marketing campaign for X1X around the power narrative. At the end of this message stand differences that are almost unnoticeable if you see the games in motion side by side on big TVs, meaning that its pretty much impossible to convey these differences in conventional ads or your normal youtube content.
So Microsoft relies on DF to quantify the differences in their videos with resolution counts, framerate graphs, and 300% zooms.

The fact that MS relies on a media outlets coverage here and the fact that they start sponsoring this media outlets coverage of their product is definitely concerning if you ask me.
Concern indeed.

D65

Oct 26, 2017

Nonsense, have you seen them side by side? This isn't even a thread about comparisons.

gcwy

Oct 27, 2017
Houston, TX

That's quite subjective. If you're watching it on a 4K screen then the differences wth Pro version are significant. In some games it's noticeable even on 1080p screens due to the less aliasing and overall better image quality.

Also, this so far has been the only sponsored video, this and the exclusive coverage of Scorpio back when it was uploaded. If MS promoting their system is concerning to you then I have news for you.

MR ARCADE

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I'm underwhelmed by HDR so far. It gets a lot of praise but I don't see that much of a difference. Perhaps the latest LG firmware ruined my oled settings lately I've been playing with HDR off

Digital

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
If you'd suffer through a slog like Homefront just to be wooed by HDR... yikes. Just watch clips of these games on your HDR monitor.

StuBurns

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
This doesn't seem like a good example of kicking up the 'marketing' angle. It's clearly marked and it doesn't mention PlayStation at all.

If it was like "Forza's HDR is leagues beyond GT Sport's attempt" or something, maybe, just maybe it could be argued. But there's no comparisons made at all.

As for the video, where's RE7? That game has awesome HDR, not patched on the X yet? If not, look out for it when it does.

GNEVERD

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Are you watching DF YouTube face-offs in 4K HDR? It's odd that you say that, because there's a massive difference.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Absolutely 100% concerning.

TaKeRx

Oct 25, 2017
Good thing homefront is on sale because it looked really good on that YT video. Bought!

Hwy_61

Oct 27, 2017
Here's a dumb question!

My tv usually displays HDR in the upper right corner, but it won't do that with these DF videos...how does this work with YouTube?

Nov 11, 2017

Man it's going to be a long generation for you my guy smh

LanceX2

Oct 25, 2017

This is one of the most rediculous things ive read on this site.

So the last 4 years when sony was poaitive over X1 were they paying DF too?

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So we are treating ads now as actual journalism? If DF views are independent how can they say the video is sponsored? I don't mind them doing sponsored videos. But it should be AT LEAST in thread title!

Zappy

Banned
Nov 2, 2017

I love the way you can't notice the difference. I can see the extra blur on the Pro version of BF2 from my iPad screen. These are the biggest differences we've seen this generation.

Add to this, MS gave DF huge exposure during the reveal by giving them exclusivity over specs and information. They've done a lot to promote the excellent work DF do and make the wider community aware.

I'm sure DF only do what they are comfortable with. Frankly I trust their judgement. They are a long long way from
biased. JL has criticised MS plenty and I'm sure that all still stands. The point is that their work is all about covering digital fidelity and right now MS just have the most powerful console to cover.

Oct 27, 2017
Tomb Raider's unlocked framerate mode in the video reminded me that I haven't heard anything about freesync support for Xbox One X.

If DF haven't had time to check it out, has anyone else?

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also it's crazy that user got warned for pointing out that video is sponsored instead of title change... :(