• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User was warned: Attacking other users (Use the report button next time)
Holy crap people get defensive about Xbox. I said multiple times that I don't have issue with DF doing this video and they did good job pointing out that it's sponsored. I'm excited to watch it on my TV where HDR is supported. All I'm saying is that that sponsored part should be reflected in thread title.
No, we're just annoyed that you're acting like a petulant child that didn't get a snickers bar at the checkout line. You keep going, going and fucking going about the god damn sponsored content. There's a warning to stop, and you keep on fucking going. Holy shit.

THEVOID

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
I also think that sponsored content should be labeled as such in thread titles. At the end of the day its a way to conceal advertisements. There is a reason why Youtube has guidelines like that. ERA should have similar guidelines.

At the very least we should have a discussion thread about how to deal with that, which would also help keep threads like this focussed on the topic and not derail into discussion about how to deal with sponsored content.

Then create that thread.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Holy crap people get defensive about Xbox. I said multiple times that I don't have issue with DF doing this video and they did good job pointing out that it's sponsored. I'm excited to watch it on my TV where HDR is supported. All I'm saying is that that sponsored part should be reflected in thread title.

Thank you for your opinion. You've expressed it, I'm not changing the title. Move on.

resident_UA

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm curious as to what you think makes it that. What do you think would differ about the creation process?

I understand the concern, though, but it was made pretty much like any other video and, in fact, edited by me at my house with no input from anyone else. A friend from this very forum was even visiting while I finished it up and saw how it was made, which is kind of interesting.

We did a video like this for Horizon Zero Dawn as well and I don't recall there being complaints.
My issue was specifically how ERA handled this thread. Not with your labeling. :) I mean the world "sponsored" is there for a reason. It should not be dropped from thread title. Now, what it means is a different argument and people could make their own conclusions. In general I'm ok with it.

Okada

Nov 8, 2017
I'm underwhelmed by HDR so far. It gets a lot of praise but I don't see that much of a difference. Perhaps the latest LG firmware ruined my oled settings lately I've been playing with HDR off

Have you tried downgrading your firmware? I did it to mine the other day and the difference is huge.

Railgun

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Jesus what is going on in this thread.

Looks like the YouTube app on Web OS on LG TV's now does HDR! Looks great, took them long enough. Yet the Youtube app on Android TV still doesn't seem to have it?

etta

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't mind Microsoft promoting their system. But I mind Microsoft paying journalists to promote their system for them.
At the very least, with this sponsoring Microsoft payed DF to leave PS4 and PC games out of the picture.

Thumbnails don't always show. Video could play inside the post. And thread title is misleading. This is not DF video, this is MS video performed by DF.

This is not DF video, this is MS video performed by DF.

You guys take this shit too seriously. When it starts affecting you at an emotional level and makes you react this way, it's probably best to get your life priorities in order.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm curious as to what you think makes it that. What do you think would differ about the creation process?

I understand the concern, though, but it was made pretty much like any other video and, in fact, edited by me at my house with no input from anyone else. A friend from this very forum was even visiting while I finished it up and saw how it was made, which is kind of interesting.

We did a video like this for Horizon Zero Dawn as well and I don't recall there being complaints.
Any chance that Dave is getting HDR capable capture equipment any time soon? I really want to see Star Wars BF2 in HDR, and was disappointed that video wasn't. I understand why you yourself aren't going to cover it, but hopefully he's going to catch up with the good HDR goodness soon.

Witness

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Hartford, CT
I tried the Homefront free trial and I didn't like the gameplay at all. HDR looked nice but that's no reason to buy a game. ACO so far is my favorite implementation of HDR, the sunlight looks incredible on it.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Any chance that Dave is getting HDR capable capture equipment any time soon? I really want to see Star Wars BF2 in HDR, and was disappointed that video wasn't. I understand why you yourself aren't going to cover it, but hopefully he's going to catch up with the good HDR goodness soon.
They already have a device capable of it. It's just that doing HDR videos tends to increase production time (mainly because encoding is way slower). I finished this thing Saturday morning and it took all day to export/encode and upload.

Seganomics

Oct 29, 2017
Microsoft structured almost their entire marketing campaign for X1X around the power narrative. At the end of this message stand differences that are almost unnoticeable if you see the games in motion side by side on big TVs, meaning that its pretty much impossible to convey these differences in conventional ads or your normal youtube content.
So Microsoft relies on DF to quantify the differences in their videos with resolution counts, framerate graphs, and 300% zooms.

The fact that MS relies on a media outlets coverage here and the fact that they start sponsoring this media outlets coverage of their product is definitely concerning if you ask me.

DF did an article on how GT Sport was the poster child for HDR done right. Where was your 'concern' then?

Lethologica

Oct 27, 2017
It's such a damned shame that the folks at DF (especially John since he is the most visible) have to go through this kind of abuse.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I'm going to try and play some of the other games I've bought and barely touched before I pick up Homefront, but I sure as heck hope it shows up on Game Pass. It's probably my favorite implementation on show in this video.

OP
OP
Psychotron

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Not to mention the GT:S vs Forza 7 video. I couldn't even read the comments for that one.

Pay no attention Dark1x . People are so quick to grab the pitchforks, they forget the value of the content you provide. You helped me get Prey on the XB1, then again on PS4 when you declared it the best console version (post update). You've proven yourself consistently. Now please do an Evil Within 2 X patch analysis, lol.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
One thing I found really interesting about this, even if it wasn't really discussed, is how HDR allows for even more creative control over how a game looks. You compare say, ROTTR with it's stark contrasts between light and dark as the show stopping thing, with Gears 4 and it's bright colors, and Homefront with it's dark streets full of brightly lit fires and neon signage. It gives developers even more leverage to lean into a given art style. I see why a lot of people say it's a bigger deal than 4K now that I've got even a low end HDR set. Hoping that OLED goes variable refresh sooooon.

D65

Oct 26, 2017
John

You should have had a most improved section with Halo 3

That blow my mind

Oemenia

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
User banned (24hr): Don't call out console warriors and then be a console warrior youself
Would've been amazing if Sony sponsored it, shame they don't have the hardware to do so.

Madmackem

Oct 28, 2017
Not to mention the GT:S vs Forza 7 video. I couldn't even read the comments for that one.

Could you checkout agent of mayhems hdr implementation, it seems broken to me on my tv it's very dull washed out with only explosions etc having that hdr pop. Damn video I'm going to have to buy homefront and ff15 they look so good.

1.21Gigawatts

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Munich
DF did an article on how GT Sport was the poster child for HDR done right. Where was your 'concern' then?
That video wasn't sponsored to my knowledge. If thats DFs opinion thats fine.
Although I really wished they had gone into more detail about what makes a good HDR and what it depends on. Thats common criticism for all their videos about HDR so far.
This would also eliminate a lot of questions about the platform exclusive videos they did.
If you explain that HDR implementation is equal across all platforms, because it doesn't have anything to do with horsepower and it just comes down to how devs implement it, it would eliminate a lot of confusion. (See post by Oemenia two above mine)
Not sure how well telling people that HDR implementations are the same across all platforms regardless of horsepower goes along with Microsofts power focussed marketing message for the X1X, though.

My point isn't that DF becomes unreliable when content is sponsored. They are basically the most objective gaming outlet, by nature of the subjects they cover. But sponsored content like this forces them to leave out information that would paint a more complete picture. (Their assessment of multiplatform titles in this video is just as valid for the X1S and Ps4 Pro versions I'd guess. And standard Ps4 and PC, too if they support HDR which I am not sure about)
In the light of their unusual importance to Microsofts marketing strategy I think it would be good if they addressed this.

FireSafetyBear

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No, we're just annoyed that you're acting like a petulant child that didn't get a snickers bar at the checkout line. You keep going, going and fucking going about the god damn sponsored content. There's a warning to stop, and you keep on fucking going. Holy shit.

You seem mad about somebody pointing out that it is indeed SPONSORED.

Jeremiah

Oct 25, 2017
It's a shame DF did not include RE7. Probably the most impressive HDR implementation I've seen.

The game is naturally dark, and light sources are scarce. This plays strongly to HDR, which is all about specular highlights, as DF highlights in the video.
In regular SDR, a scene with a single bulb looks muted when compared to the same scene in HDR. Fluorescent light looks exactly how they should in the game.
In fact, I believe RE7 was the first HDR game released that included an adjustable luminance/black level settings, which is crucial for HDR as DF states.

What I'm getting at is consider RE7 if any of you are interested in seeing HDR on the 1X.

Fafalada

Oct 27, 2017
Alright, which one comparison video has DF done where they claim it's a big difference but isn't really according to a legitimate anecdote?
That's rhetorical, given that "difference" has been a constantly moving goal-post for the entire history of game industry - and at any point in time people disagree what constitutes "big". Ie. people always complained about DFs definition vs. their own.
It's also what fuels discussion in our enthusiast echo-chambers in the first place - if there was unanimous consensus of the said metrics, no-one would ever debate anything in these threads.

Kage Maru

Oct 27, 2017
I'm a huge fan of HDR, so I'm happy they put this out there. I have most of the HDR showpiece titles on the Pro and plan to do the same on the 1X.

The fact that MS relies on a media outlets coverage here and the fact that they start sponsoring this media outlets coverage of their product is definitely concerning if you ask me.

IMO it should be concerning when they aren't transparent about sponsorship, not when they are. With the 1X being a niche product for tech enthusiasts, it makes sense that MS would use outlets that reaches those specific markets. The mid-gen refreshes aren't meant for parents looking for a cheap Christmas gift for their kids, it's meant for gamers that want the better version of their platforms of choice. I don't see a reason to be suspect of this.

Oct 29, 2017
speaking of HDR ...does anyone have any idea why when I play madden on the X it feels like it has a ton of input lag but when I play a game like COD it feels smooth?

Jiraiya

Oct 27, 2017
All this coverage is just making the wait to get the X1X and new Tv next week even harder. I've seen HDR in person, but still cannot wait. Had to stop buying games just to experience them this way.

Glenn Gould

Oct 27, 2017
Hmmm, although I don't actually use the site, as a sponsor via Patreon I'm really not comfortable with them starting to also have commercial sponsored videos such as these. I'll have to give serious thought about ceasing my DF sponsorship.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Time to take of the Delsin cap and put on your thinking one. Almost everything you've said is 'I don't like this' without actually explaining why it's concerning.

In one of DFs previous videos on the X they even say they're going to get a retail unit to compare to their [Sponsored] review unit form MS to compare.

Dark1x

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Hmmm, although I don't actually use the site, as a sponsor via Patreon I'm really not comfortable with them starting to also have commercial sponsored videos such as these. I'll have to give serious thought about ceasing my DF sponsorship.
Well, it's a rare thing, really. It'll be maybe four sponsored videos all year when we put out a new video almost every single day. That's not a lot.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Great work by DF like always.

Getting my XOX on Monday so interested to see these titles myself.

Tarkus

Oct 25, 2017
US

I'm playing Hitman right now because of this video. Smashing work.