• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aaahhhh yiiiis. A Netflix Original.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Teraflops as a metric, is not really equivalent to performance"

Sounds polar opposite to what people hare have been saying.

RedHeat

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, they kinda put TF warriors in their place within the first 10 minutes. I missed that CUs bit in the stream myself

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
"Teraflops as a metric, is not really equivalent to performance"

Sounds polar opposite to what people hare have been saying.

Which is strange to me, because people have been saying flops as a raw metric isn't accurate since the damn Switch and people were trying to direct compare numbers vs. the output of having Xbone and PS4 ports on it, so it definitely wouldn't be the case here on more advanced machines.

That said, XSX has a few advantages on PS5 other than raw teraflops so it's entirely possible it will produce the better looking games.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to watching this. To me, it seems like both machines have advantages over the other, and performance isn't as cut and dry as the spec sheets make it out to be, but we'll see.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
In the end, all decided by the games. Most of my top wants are japanese third parties so...

Wollan

Mostly Positive
Oct 25, 2017
Norway but living in France
But that compares old tech to new tech, right? Comparing the TF from PS4 to PS5 is silly, but PS5 to Xbox Series X comparisons are still valid, as they're using the same tech.
TF is indicative of one aspect of the GPU but frequency clock is indicative of several aspects of the GPU (PS5 has unusually high frequency). Effectively the PS5 will be punching above its 'TF target'.
People look to the final PS5 TF number but I still feel Cerny's point is being overlooked:

H1aFHZJiLEYxmSxkU_23HktouArNAOy--c_A3iU1ILpr3VKFyVxXSf7-_QQ678VslVJ0yx8AEEuGcGh7V1JeqUaLv0UBLuJ-sledlgOjKB8TdywgtpJBZSr8_phBGXx5Smn0lGKj-KlZf9uQG0y5-ZqnDGLOIR8XsfMzu2PCy00mHOaaOIX9HgFd_wMdxixOe0h3xghry-yj5pdMw0oj-Tcl32EMcHkTB1qUGD7Zd5Jl_xAYqMSkyYq2emK1ltzOgz6vjF0tKMbOuy8GJ9-vu8NKt67RHKT5h-_eTX9T_0QqHIJEn-qgZNDuFHzGWRJUqoxa4AbvDjCe8Jo056ImvgbWxXXFURZaFkJzvXeFHc77rMTNpiKJMeo-ay6vbVY331COxGZSBBkB8OPyURgoRo_BRLQTVV4k6uHTXzQb6QhO_q5Bj9Z7F8Q1YSwdX7HCLoX8MaMmpgajm2ctzLuSC2IhKOHJyFTxzKnIH3tqqXtdB3kncAarn0x0GUTnKgYm1DuUl96I_bIEClTT6UlYof5csVZw4nVeYHazT9flsHiKjfZfout93MecH02K7qzA33njCrgw1YehuHT_3tCX934t7seraVo-T5LBqzsNnDxDtQFoHWHNBhxZDNiRBUqSmAfoBzOTVdO3gzT8kmu0mXs99OrvpDAt6s0hHriS-pO8mvN60mgj4OBkLc0PPSWJMJ_zK7SXiXg2BVY5olb-A5m54JoT1WLahhGzCIRkPXOlmJBqFYO0lPec=w600-h190-no

Both of the configurations above have the same TF on a comparison sheet but one is actually a third faster in most aspects and is notably more real-world performent (TF is only applicable to one part of the GPU while frequency affects plenty). As he pointed out, if you can handle the extra power and cooling needs then there's a lot to be said about being faster (it's also easier to fill 36CU's worth of work than 48CU's).

Real world performance benchmarking will be really interesting with the PS5.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
DF mentioned that Sony hasn't mention if the PS5 has Variable Rate Shading or Machine Learning. Aren't both part of RDNA2?

Betelgeuse

Nov 2, 2017
DF mentioned that Sony hasn't mention if the PS5 has Variable Rate Shading or Machine Learning. Aren't both part of RDNA2?
It has VRS:
www.resetera.com

PS5 and Xbox Series speculation |OT11| Cry Havoc and Let Slip the Dogs of War [NEW NEWS, NEW THREAD - CHECK OUT THE STAFF POST]

Uh that sounds like the plan? Reads to me like "see you at E3". They specifically saved stuff like the price and release date which they'll announce at E3 obviously

PJV3

Oct 25, 2017
London
That sound stuff is going to melt my brain in vr, I'm glad they see the value. I'm quite chuffed Sony are trying some new things.

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
They're right though. An analogy would be Nvidia cards vs AMD's. Nvidia usually has less theoretical Tflops but they perform above its competition.

Spasm

Nov 16, 2017
Watching the vid now. What would we do without you DF guys?

Dark1x , is there any more details about storage expansion options with PS5. MUST a user buy an expensive cutting-edge SSD if they want more storage, or will be able to use cheap external drives as cold storage?

Sonicfan059

Mar 4, 2018
Which is strange to me, because people have been saying flops as a raw metric isn't accurate since the damn Switch and people were trying to direct compare numbers vs. the output of having Xbone and PS4 ports on it, so it definitely wouldn't be the case here on more advanced machines.

That said, XSX has a few advantages on PS5 other than raw teraflops so it's entirely possible it will produce the better looking games.
Flops is the new bits. I remember wondering why a 32bit GBA couldn't produce the same graphics as a PS1 as a kid.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
They're right though. An analogy would be Nvidia cards vs AMD's. Nvidia usually has less theoretical Tflops but they perform above its competition.

Yeah, but we're talking two cards from AMD with the same general makeup and remarkably similar architecture between the two consoles.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
If they can hit $399 with this console, it will be bedlam this holiday

Watching the vid now. What would we do without you DF guys?

Dark1x , is there any more details about storage expansion options with PS5. MUST a user buy an expensive cutting-edge SSD if they want more storage, or will be able to use cheap external drives as cold storage?

Yeah IIRC Cerny mentioned you could use a typical external HDD for fridge games and playing PS4 games

Last edited:

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Really good breakdown, great video.

I totally agree that the SSD is going to be a huge game changer, way more than people think. When you can completely fill your entire pool of RAM in 2-3 seconds, that really opens up possibilities we can't even think of today.

Altair

Jan 11, 2018

That's not a good analogy at all. That's two different architectures. Both the XSX and PS5 GPUs are using the same RDNA 2 architecture.

unrealist

Oct 27, 2017
The teraflops isn't a metric for performance reminded me of this... Apple has always taught that specs arent everything, iPhones always had lower specs compared to the similar gen Android phones. However, iPhones can perform equally if not better than Android phones due to the design and cohesiveness between OS and hardware.

nanskee

Prophet of Truth
Oct 31, 2017
The 3D audio sounds mindblowing, hearing individual droplets in the rain like irl. Seems like the definitive feature for me as someone who is a bit of an audiophile

That's actually crazy if it works that well. I understand the audio part more than the ssd part.

Bobbyleejones

Banned
Aug 25, 2019
The teraflops isn't a metric for performance reminded me of this... Apple has always taught that specs arent everything, iPhones always had lower specs compared to the similar gen Android phones. However, iPhones can perform equally if not better than Android phones due to the design and cohesiveness between OS and hardware.
But that was due to geek bench scores (and just how much resource hungry Android is compared to apple). We have two consoles with the same gpu and cpu manufacturer. How can we not directly compare

CelestialAtom

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 26, 2017
That was an excellent video and does a great job of explaining why the PS5 hardware is truly impressive for what Cerny is trying to accomplish.

liquidmetal14

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Probably the most rational and sound take so far

And this stuff about the speed of which things go on the PS5 is exactly what I've been told.

And devs seem to love it.

bsigg

Oct 25, 2017

This hasn't been the case for 5-6 years now. Apple's mobile chips have crushed what Qualcomm and Samsung have been able to produce.