• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Jeffram

Oct 29, 2017
So PS5's SSD can load around 2GB every 0.27 seconds according to the slide. In comparison the PS4 could load 1GB every 20 seconds...
It's really going to make the RAM super efficient, if it was half as fast Ram would have to be filled with more predictive data. It's probably not 1:1 but could be significant.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This "Xbox is just raw power while Sony is crazy optimization" narrative I keep seeing on Era is super grating. People are acting as though MS guys just walked into Best Buy, bought a bunch of off the shelf parts and slapped a box together over a weekend while Sony has a bunch of magical elves working with "secret sauce" for thousands of hours.

Feel pretty confident in saying the MS hardware guys can optimize as well.
Usual suspects, same guys that tried to shut down GitHub rumour and were pushing 13tf, best to use your ignore button.

Trying to push XSX SSD & audio is now stock. Complete nonsense.

Dec 8, 2018
That seems like the charitable / PR way to describe it.

At the end of the day, both the GPU and CPU have maximum performance thresholds. And those are the values that are listed in the spec sheet. But my understanding that is that both thresholds cannot be achieved simultaneously.

I guess you could describe throttling the CPU as "giving the GPU more power," but I dont' think that's how most people would think about it.

Yes they can and at most of the time will.

Oct 25, 2017
Cincinnati
Well DF is making me feel better about the PS5 overall, although power wasn't really that big of a deal to me as I believe you won't see much difference in the games themselves. So after watching this if Sony doesn't fuck up BC like it seems they are then I will go PS5 over XSX. Otherwise I need to sell some games lol.

RingRang

Alt account banned
Banned
Oct 2, 2019
It basically is Matt have been 100% correct on everything regarding these consoles
Weren't all of the insiders here, including Matt saying the PS5 was more powerful just a few months ago? Weren't they saying the Github leak wasn't valid at all? The same Github leak that ended up having the exact same CU count and clocks speeds that were just slight slower?

Then why are DF not calling them out but instead agrees that there are benefits of going small and fast do you think?
Stop and ask yourself the last time you saw DF call out anyone. They don't do that. Unless an absolutely terrible choice is made they're generally going to be positive. You don't get exclusive interviews with Mark Cerny when you call out his decisions and question them.

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
"Teraflops is a metric, it's not really equivalent to performance" - Digital Foundry

vivftp

Oct 29, 2017
That was a great, informative video. Thanks for that DF!

I'm 100% convinced the audio tech they're using on the PS5 has relations to Sony's 360 Reality Audio. As soon as I heard Cerny talk about possibly letting you take a photo of your ear I immediately smiled because 360 Reality Audio does exactly that using your smartphone.

Can't wait to see how everything shapes up as we learn more and see real world examples of what the next gen machines can do :)

TCG276

Dec 17, 2017
its going to be REALLY interesting to see what games designed specifically for PS5 and this SSD setup look like compared to series X ... not just talking about the speed advantage sony have over the MS SSD .. but also the fact that series X games have to run on last gen xbox as well ... so MS simply can't output games with say no mountains in the way of your POV to allow for that background loading last gen had to ..PS5 is free of that restriction not only from an architecture point of view but also a legacy POV.

I know MS is pushing to eliminate generations, but has Sony specifically said they will have PS5 exclusive games right out of the gate? I can't imagine that any new games, within the first few years of the PS5, won't also target the Pro.

Jan 20, 2019
Weren't all of the insiders here, including Matt saying the PS5 was more powerful just a few months ago? Weren't they saying the Github leak wasn't valid at all? The same Github leak that ended up having the exact same CU count and clocks speeds that were just slight slower?

Stop and ask yourself the last time you saw DF call out anyone. They don't do that. Unless an absolutely terrible choice is made they're generally going to be positive. You don't get exclusive interviews with Mark Cerny when you call out his decisions and question them.

No, matt never said that.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
so are we into " specs don't matter " phase yet or are we still trying to push lower specs as something more? We can't skip secret sauce!! Lol

TFs don't matter ... unless you compare the same architecture which we are.

56 cus is better than 36. You can do more in parallel.
No, that's not how it works. Parallelization is difficult to make. Sometimes you can't do it.
Practical exemple :
You need to build a house with either 36 stronger and faster people or 54 less stronger and slower.
If you have 54 woods to move than anyone can lift, your bigger team will crush the other, they will do it in one ride, so basically your smaller team is bottleneck.
If you have 36 woods or less, your smaller team will crushed the other.
If you have 36 woods or less and part of them are too heavy for your bigger team, bottleneck for your bigger team.

It is very, very simplified, but that's the idea.

nib95

Contains No Misinformation on Philly Cheesesteaks
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Nope, Matt said as far as he knew Scarlett/XSX would be more powerful. He even stated around 15% more powerful, which is about right.

Last edited:

JonesXlv

Jun 7, 2018
Seriously. The numbers are what they are. Why people feel the need to make anything more out of it is beyond me. This isn't Nvidia flops vs AMD flops.

It's already insufferable. One console will be stronger than the other. People cannot accept it, and just like XB1, there is this crazy hunt for secret sauce to close the gap.

The specs are done and finalized, XSX has more computational power than the PS5. Can we move on now?

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Someone mentioned it in another thread and I'm going to repeat it here in case some DF guys are reading. I think it would be really valuable to test Cerny's claim in the presentation. Take two GPUs of equal TFLOPS but one that does it with fewer CUs and higher clocks, and see which performs better.

How about it, Dark1x ?

gundamkyoukai

Oct 25, 2017

Nope matt said 15% difference depending on factors and that is where it end up give or take .

pixelation

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So DF says you can get much more out of a GPU with higher clock frequencies than the Tflop count implies and doesn't factor in, primarily because a higher clock frequency means the caches have higher bandwidth, rasterisation rates improve in step with the clock speed etc.

Do we know how much these latter things would improve with a 2.23Ghz GPU (PS5) vs a 1.825GHz GPU (XSX)? In other words a 22.2% clock speed difference. Curious to know what benefits the higher clock speed allows that the Tflop count alone doesn't account for.

DF certainly seems impressed by the approach, and calls it highly innovative.
Shhhh... no positives are allowed, only doom and gloom.

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Dec 8, 2018

No he said he believed Xbox was going to be on top, that GitHub and 9.2TF number was not confirmation of anything and it was not. Why don't you look at his profile he talked quite a bit today.

It's one thing to call out but they don't just not do that they agree with what Cerny says about going small and fast have positive performance benefits that does not reflect on the TF numbers.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019
Compared to what Sony is doing. Yes

Whatever Sony is doing is still "simulating" surround sound ie: matrix effect. You can't get true surround sound from just two speakers. First John was wrong, Atmos can have 118 sound objects not 32. In real life sound sources originates in 3D. That's why in a proper Atmos or DTS X setup the speakers are all around you and above you. Everything else is a simulation.

Tiago Rodrigues

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
So DF says you can get much more out of a GPU with higher clock frequencies than the Tflop count implies and doesn't factor in, primarily because a higher clock frequency means the caches have higher bandwidth, rasterisation rates improve in step with the clock speed etc.

Do we know how much these latter things would improve with a 2.23Ghz GPU (PS5) vs a 1.825GHz GPU (XSX)? In other words a 22.2% clock speed difference. Curious to know what benefits the higher clock speed allows that the Tflop count alone doesn't account for.

Yup...sounds to be Sony is doing almost sorcery with this console and trying their best to do something without going overboard in terms of power. People are down paying everything tbh.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We moved from "the github isn't true" to "TF isn't everything", feels like what happened with Xbox One and PS4. I will buy ps5 first because they make better games but sony made a choice on having a lower perfromance machine (theoretical) they can reverse the disadvantage via price or their gamble on custom hw paying off. But ps5 is definitely weaker than SX just via the numbers.

Any 3rd party dev that chimed on this? I think they would prefer higher TF overall

Oct 31, 2017
That seems like the charitable / PR way to describe it.

At the end of the day, both the GPU and CPU have maximum performance thresholds. And those are the values that are listed in the spec sheet. But my understanding that is that both thresholds cannot be achieved simultaneously.

I guess you could describe throttling the CPU as "giving the GPU more power," but I don't think that's how most people would think about it.
This is false. They actually will be able to deliver their maximum thresholds most of the time. They only throttle in occasional stressful scenarios or situations where they aren't needed as much. In such scenarios either one of them sacrifices power for a small loss in clocks. The "boost" isn't based on temperature like other devices you are used to, instead it's based on workloads and unlike other boost modes it can run at max speeds simultaneously. There's this erroneous idea that the boost mode is like what we get on cellphones and other devices which it isn't.

Garjon

Oct 27, 2017
I cannot believe that people are actually calling DF biased in here, WTF. GTFO to Twitter, Reddit or whatever with that.

Interesting analysis, I honeslty feel like I learned more from this than from the Cerny stream

Shambala

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Aye, there's loads to be positive about both consoles, I'm not sure why people are whinging to be honest.
Yea I really don't think people realize just how much of a jump this gen is going to be.. The games will speak for themselves. But as usual the "numbers game" always take front and center 🤷‍♂️

nib95

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
True. CPU and mem bandwidth matter too. And MS wins in those areas too.

Memory bandwidth is a wash, as the XSX only has that advantage for 10GB's worth. But you're sort of completely omitting the advantages of higher clock speeds (as discussed in the DF video) as well as the SSD and data transfer speeds, controllers, more advanced 3D audio chip etc.

Ultimately, yes, the XSX has the Tflop and performance advantage, but the PS5 has its own advantages. It's not as clear cut across the board as you're making it seem.

Stooge

Oct 29, 2017
No, that's not how it works. Parallelization is difficult to make. Sometimes you can't do it.
Practical exemple :
You need to build a house with either 36 stronger and faster people or 54 less stronger and slower.
If you have 54 woods to move than anyone can lift, your bigger team will crush the other, they will do it in one ride, so basically your smaller team is bottleneck.
If you have 36 woods or less, your smaller team will crushed the other.
If you have 36 woods or less and part of them are too heavy for your bigger team, bottleneck for your bigger team.

It is very, very simplified, but that's the idea.

This is.... Something.

Deleted member 17289

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"It's not who you are underneath, it's what you do that defines you."

Sony first party studios will make the ps5 sing and will probably put out the best looking games of the gen, as they usually do.

Timlot

Banned
Nov 27, 2019

Was it innovative when Microsoft did it? Did it make much of a difference when the Xbox One S gpu overclock to 914Mhz and the PS4 was 800Mhz? Nope. XBS games still had lower resolutions and frames rates. PS4 still had more CUs.

Oct 25, 2017
The is nonsense. You're basically saying they're trading integrity for access.