• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Ok that's kind of unfortunate. Would have been cool to be able to get an idea of how this compares to current high end GPU's.
In their original next gen video I think they quote some approximate figures..I think they said it's a 20 to 30 or ent perf boost over rDNA 1.

It's when they were measuring the die size and speculating how many cores you could fit in the GPU.

Oct 27, 2017
Oh wow, I've skipped the Xbox One due to how disappointed in the original announcement was and never bought one, but this being retrocompatible across all Xbox gen might pull me back in

Deleted member 40102

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 19, 2018
This monster can handle games like rocket league at 240fps right ?? But the machine it self doesn't support beyond 120fps ?? That's really sad.

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
The Ace Combat 6 footage there makes me think whoever edited the video shares my desire to see that game break its 30fps, low res cap.

Ebtesam

Self-Requested Ban
Apr 1, 2018
Wonder how much I will understand. 🤔
giphy.gif

Deleted member 13560

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is this gonna be the first gen in ages where consoles can actually compete with PC? Native 4K + more 60fps games with SSDs sounds incredible. I built my first PC solely for graphics in 2015 and I kinda miss the simplicity of consoles.

Ampere and Navi flagship cards are rumored to be 17.5 - 18 TFlops. Those will be out before the new consoles are released.

Consoles compete now with PCs. It just depends on what your price point is.

I'm more excited about new rendering technologies and techniques now that the baseline will be bumped up.

Oct 27, 2017
Richard:

"I can only imagine the reason they've gone down this route (of revealing the teraflop number) is that maybe they know they've got more teraflops than Sony."

You don't move like Microsoft has moved since December unless you know something. More than they are letting on it appears. i've long believed that Sony and Mark Cerny set the PS5 at 399. Ever since the reveal in December, I've had 499 ingrained in my head ever since with Microsoft taking a loss on hardware to boot. I've not seen anything to dissuade me from that line of thinking.

Zelda

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So what is the Series X equivalent to in terms of currently available PC hardware? 9900K + overclocked 2080Ti?

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Richard:

"I can only imagine the reason they've gone down this route (of revealing the teraflop number) is that maybe they know they've got more teraflops than Sony."
How do they normally find out? Do some industry inside intel on one another? This is very interesting. Like is Agent Phil a double agent after all? Did he end up giving Sony dirt to MS for a chance of redemption? Lol.

Seriously though, only developers with both dev kit would know near final specs that MS could easily find out and then be confident in their own box TF specs. Is that how likely they found out?

Anyways Cerny has a lot of explanation to do. I'm draining my bathtub right now. Not gonna set up the candles and all that jazz now near my tub. Scre that. Friendship is over. Phil is my new best friend!!

klastical

Oct 29, 2017
How do they normally find out? Do some industry inside intel on one another? This is very interesting. Like is Agent Phil a double agent after all? Did he end up giving Sony dirt to MS for a chance of redemption? Lol.

Seriously though, only developers with both dev kit would know near final specs that MS could easily find out and then be confident in their own box TF specs. Is that how likely they found out?

Anyways Cerny has a lot of explanation to do. I'm draining my bathtub right now. Not gonna set up the candles and all that jazz now near my tub. Scre that. Friendship is over. Phil is my new best friend!!

People in the industry love to talk. Not just game developers but also the people providing the hardware.

Oct 27, 2017

All Microsoft has to do is get confirmation from AMD that they're the only ones using a custom 12 TF RDNA2 APU solution and there ya go. Now they can flaunt all they want because they know they're the only one launching with a 12 TF console this year. I highly doubt Sony goes above that.

LCGeek

Oct 28, 2017
Highly doubt it. Big navi was rumored to trump the 2080 Ti, significantly so. There's also no way AMD throws their upcoming flagship GPU into next gen consoles.

We know this from the past already but it being rdna2 is exceptionally impressive to me. Check old threads we have plenty here thinking it was going to be current navi product.

I started last gen with 7950s which isn't even at 3 teraflops unless you overclock. For about 1.5x the cost of these cards I get next gen consoles that will stomp it. 360 was the first to see a new amd architecture and the next xbox/ps5 will be another example . Console never get the best product but they do get newer features that a lot of pc gamers will have to catch up on themselves.

I don't think anyone getting an xbox or ps5 reading that is gonna think they are getting a bad deal.

Getting a ryzen 3 apu with gpu performance of about a 2080 with ssd at price point most mid range pc gamers won't be able to beat for at least 2 years is pretty, pretty, fucking good.

icecold1983

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Looks like it will be about 2080 super level. Far cry from the 1070/2060 level GPU many here were predicting

SRTtoZ

Dec 8, 2017
I can't wait for this beast and the PS5. The Elite series 2 is a beast of a controller to match up with this console too. I really hope Sony is working on an elite version of the Dualshock.

Oct 27, 2017
I laughed when Richard said that line about maybe MS specified 12TF because they know they have more than Sony and people are like, "You know, the man has a point." But when another ERA poster said pretty much the same thing, the responses were, "Yikes" and "Actually, it doesn't" Pure gold. Although I acknowledge that a few did agree with the poster as well.

SharpX68K

Nov 10, 2017
Chicagoland

Highly doubt it. Big navi was rumored to trump the 2080 Ti, significantly so. There's also no way AMD throws their upcoming flagship GPU into next gen consoles.

I'm thinking Xbox is getting a GPU in-between the mid-range Navi10 in Radeon RX 5700 and high-end Big Navi

PS5 (rumored 36 CU ?
Xbox Series X - 56 CU ?
Big Navi: 80 CU ?

wccftech.com

[UPDATE]Alleged AMD Next-Gen Flagship Navi 'Radeon RX' GPU Specifications Leaked - 5120 Cores, 24 GB HBM2e Memory, 2 TB/s Bandwidth

The alleged specifications of AMD's next-gen 'Big Navi' GPU powerhouse that powers the enthusiast gaming Radeon RX cards have leaked.

www.tweaktown.com

AMD Big Navi specs: 5120 cores, 24GB HBM2e at 2TB/sec memory bandwidth

AMD's next-gen Big Navi GPU teased with 24GB of HBM2e on a 4096-bit memory bus with an insane 2TB/sec bandwidth.

fWNScb7.jpg

Planet

Oct 25, 2017
HDMI 2.1 only supports up to 120hz.
That's not true, 240 Hz is even possible with HDMI 2.0 at 1080p without HDR AFAIK. It's just that hardly any display offers these refresh rates.

There are already a lot of people unable to tell the difference between 30 and 60 FPS. Yes, it's hard for me to believe it, too, and I don't know if they are blessed or cursed with it, but it's true. The benefits of 120 fps over 60 will be slimmer than that (on a flat screen, VR is another matter), and beyond isn't worth the effort, I figure. Stable framerate is more important, VRR helps but doesn't completely replace it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
I laughed when Richard said that line about maybe MS specified 12TF because they know they have more than Sony and people are like, "You know, the man has a point." But when another ERA poster said pretty much the same thing, the responses were, "Yikes" and "Actually, it doesn't" Pure gold. Although I acknowledge that a few did agree with the poster as well.

well it's still speculation. Are we equally assuming Sony knew the Xbox one power when they listed TF in feb 2013?

DopeyFish

Oct 25, 2017
Ok that's kind of unfortunate. Would have been cool to be able to get an idea of how this compares to current high end GPU's.

it should be comparable to the RTX 2080 Ti.

the one thing we don't really know is how good the RT solution is. We hear rumors that AMD thinks it's better solution than Nvidia but that could be nonsense.

But the fact we have a console coming out that is going to be comparable to high end PC cards of today is pretty damn exciting... even though PC cards are about to vault way beyond it fairly quickly. (both big navi and next RTX cards are expected to be in 20 TF+ range)

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
So in terms of current GPU's out right now, what is this close to equivalent to? I assume a 2080 but maybe someone more knowledgeable can give me a better estimate?

AMD's current RDNA1 RX 5700 XT is 10 TFLOPs and can be competitive with Nvidia's RTX 2070 super, which itself is almost as strong as a 2080. With the gpu in the Xbox having 20% more TFLOPs than the 5700 XT, it might not be unreasonable to expect 2080-performance at minimum, basically making the Xbox stronger than probably ~95+% of current gaming PCs.

Will be interesting to see if PC gpus will have any big jumps in the next year or two, or if they won't be appreciably better than console for the near future.

zid99825

Mar 29, 2019

Maybe Mojang has a ps5 dev kit

jikevgw

Jan 22, 2020
Don't matter what both sys got inside I'm getting both day 1 . I'm a gamer since nes and I always get all sys day 1