• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
Damn. Well... it's fun with friends and immersive... so... it's got that... at an occasional 10 fps.

Hyperbole

Banned
Nov 16, 2018
I am going to have to go with Jason on this one.......it's not the engine....for one releasing this game in this state points to management imo,. Maybe they don't have the programmer chops to even do a new engine justice. Which really comes down to management also. Maybe they need new talent.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Got deja vu and remembered my time with Skyrim. This is typical Bethesda, they haven't changed. Ever since Skyrim dropped to 0FPS on PS3, I've stayed away from their trash. Stop giving them money.

Digital Foundry's analysis of Skyrim's PS3 performance said:
the effect is impossible to miss and given its severity, the outcry that has followed on forums is very much justified. These prolonged bouts of stuttering render the game almost completely unplayable, even during non-intensive walks down pathways, with some freezes lasting long enough to drag the frame-rate down to zero in places - the first time we've seen this in years of performance analysis here at Digital Foundry.

When the 65 hour game isn't stuttering, we notice that it tends to settle on 20FPS as its baseline, with the new save holding out at around the 30FPS mark. Considering that the same environments are being rendered in each case, this strongly suggests it isn't an issue that can be solved by direct graphical tweaks. Both runthroughs are seeing the same geometry, weather effects, shadows, and presumably have the same LOD settings in play.

Bardeh

Jun 15, 2018
Honestly can't believe a supposed AAA developer is shipping a game in this state in 2018. It's embarrassing.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Although the engine absolutely is at fault for some shit. For instance, Fallout 76 doesn't properly support refresh rates over 72Hz on PC. We're talking about a 2018 AAA game. That is an engine problem and it's inexcusable.
The Kotaku article didnt say that the current state of the engine isnt at fault for some stuff, it said that assuming future games will have the same problems because "the engine is the same" isnt accurate. It very likely will have the same problems though.

VX1

Oct 28, 2017
Europe
They had to release something this year otherwise investors wouldn't have been happy during the fiscal report. This won't be fixed or it will be partially fixed like every BGS game.

The thing is,their parent company Zenimax is not public-it's privately held,they don't have to worry about stock price,investors etc...

It makes this whole thing look even worse.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
This reasoning is horseshit right? I feel like we've heard this every game starting with Oblivion.

Rendering every object in the game world with full interaction and physics IS definitely a point in favor of immersion. However, everything that comes about as a result is a pretty huge point against immersion, and that adds way up. Massive amounts of bugs, crashes, performance issues, and other hiccups rip me out of immersion way harder than being able to pick up rubble immerses me further. They have to realize this, and are just making excuses.

Meanwhile, The Witcher 3 doesn't let me loot every book off a bookshelf, but it still holds Skyrim down and spits in its dumb face over and over again when it comes to immersion.
Well at least I find Skyrim's world is better than Witcher 3. I actually do like how Bethesda designs their open worlds and the micro detail, there's not much negative space within their games everything feels visceral in a way that Witcher or Assassin's Creed doesn't. Those games do larger scale cities better and I hope Bethesda improves next gen in that regard. Still if the physics induced objects are causing the problem I hope they can fix how taxing it is while retaining their distinct style.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
I don't think some of the people at Bethesda are cut out for making the types of games they make and haven't been for a while.

Standards have changed, Bethesda haven't.

Nov 2, 2017
Native 4k at 10-15 fps. I don't understand that. Why not just lower the resolution? It's like they just picked a resolution and completely ignored whether the console could actually run it at that resolution.

But its not the engine, right?
This performance doesn't really have anything to do with the engine though. They chose this performance. It seems they thought it was a worthy trade off for the higher resolution. It could easily run at 30 fps, just not at the resolutions they chose.

Hyperbole

Banned
Nov 16, 2018
Well at least I find Skyrim's world is better than Witcher 3. I actually do like how Bethesda designs their open worlds and the micro detail, there's not much negative space within their games everything feels visceral in a way that Witcher or Assassin's Creed doesn't. Those games do larger scale cities better and I hope Bethesda improves next gen in that regard. Still if the physics induced objects are causing the problem I hope they can fix how taxing it is while retaining their distinct style.
I loved the witcher, but..I did not find the world that well done...but the Cities were awesome, Bethesda's cities were always very weak.

60fps

Banned
Dec 18, 2017
Wait, base PS4 is a locked 20 fps??
It's better than nothing.

Native 4k at 10-15 fps. I don't understand that. Why not just lower the resolution? It's like they just picked a resolution and completely ignored whether the console could actually run it at that resolution.
Yea this is what happens when resolution gets chosen over framerate no matter what. If it was for me I would not allow 4k resolution for any game until it runs at locked 60fps.

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
it said that assuming future games will have the same problems because "the engine is the same" isnt accurate. It very likely will have the same problems though.
Empirical evidence suggests otherwise. There is data to support such presumption.

Like any assumption, it is true until it isn't. Doesn't mean it is unjustified.

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
Empirical evidence suggests otherwise. There is data to support such presumption.
No there isn't. It isn't wrong to assume the next Bethesda release is going to be a stable mess again. It is wrong to allege that an engine change would fix that and staying with the "same" engine wouldn't. That's people pretending they know exactly what's wrong for their games to turn out this way without basis. This is the same line of thought the "Unity games are shit" comments come from.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand how Bethesda executives like Todd Howard aren't embarrassed by this. Their games are a laughingstock for being a bug ridden mess. I guess they still make a lot of money from it, but even so there are other developers who make just as much money yet they seem to put more care into their game's performance.

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
No there isn't. It isn't wrong to assume the next Bethesda release is going to be a stable mess again. It is wrong to allege that an engine change would fix that and staying with the "same" engine wouldn't. That's people pretending they know exactly what's wrong for their games to turn out this way without basis. This is the same line of thought the "Unity games are shit" comments come from.
This like saying, we shouldn't assume the sun won't come up tomorrow. It probably will, but it might not.

As I said there is a long pattern here, we can assume based on past data that using the same engine will bring similar problems, because those problems have existed for many releases since oblivion. Many of the bugs here are positively ancient, if they could fix those then they would have already.

We cannot say that a new engine will be perfect, but we can reliably presume, given how engineers work, that built from the ground up they will attempt to correct for the flaws of the current engine. It may be buggy too, but at least it will have different bugs.

Last edited:

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
This like saying, we shouldn't assume the sun won't come up tomorrow. It probably will, but it might not.
That's a bullshit comparison. It's like you didnt even read the post. For the third damn time, you're well in your right to assume that the next game is gonna be bug ridden again. The problem the article adressed is that people pretend they know an easy fix and talk about an engine like something it isnt.

leng jai

Nov 2, 2017
I don't understand how Bethesda executives like Todd Howard aren't enberrased by this. Their games are a laughingstock for being a bug ridden mess. I guess they still make a lot of money from it, but even so there are other developers who make just as much money yet they seem to put more care into their game's performance.

They still sell a metric shit ton every time and that's what really matters at the end of the day. I mean I bought Fallout 4 so I'm part of the problem, but there is zero chance I'm touching this.

Hyperbole

Banned
Nov 16, 2018

As I said there is a long pattern here, we can assume based on past data that using the same engine will bring similar problems, because those problems have existed for many releases since oblivion.

We cannot say that a new engine will be perfect, but we can reliably presume, given how engineers work, that built from the ground up they will attempt to correct for the flaws of the current engine. It may be buggy too, but at least it will have different bugs.
I agree with Muffin here.....it is probably a case of a lack of talent (Hate saying that but.....)at this point to make the games they want to make,...maybe they need fresh talent. A new engine might not fix anything at all if the issue is with the in house talent and management. Maybe they are not competent enough to even make a good engine....

Nov 5, 2017
Does Todd Howard have no shame? I couldn't sleep at night delivering such faulty products again and again and AGAIN.
Seriously, can anyone at BGS feel pride in what they are doing?

Oct 26, 2017
I don't understand how Bethesda executives like Todd Howard aren't enberrased by this. Their games are a laughingstock for being a bug ridden mess. I guess they still make a lot of money from it, but even so there are other developers who make just as much money yet they seem to put more care into their game's performance.

Rightly or wrongly, What people find fun many times extends beyond what performance is or isn't doing. Game design is a thing. Writing, humor, gameplay loop, etc.

Look at the reasons why a number of people dislike Red Dead Redemption 2.

It's not easy to quantify what about a game resonates to any one person much less a large group of them

Muffin

Oct 26, 2017
As I said there is a long pattern here, we can assume based on past day that using the same engine will bring similar problems, because those problems have existed for many releases since oblivion.

This is reductive reasoning. You're pretending "the engine" (TM) is the only factor here that results in if the game is buggy or isnt. I could say that the next game is gonna be bad because Todd Howard has been a consistent part of Bethesda and it would make just as much sense. Or that factor Y has stayed the same so if its there again in the next game its gonna be buggy again. It's almost as if you have to actually identify the underlying problems and you're pretending it's this one single thing. And if you'd have read the article, you'd know even starting from the point "the engine is the same again" is a flawed assumption.

Edit: I see you already conceded that simply changing the engine isnt a universal fix. Never mind then.

Last edited:

tuxfool

Oct 25, 2017
I agree with Muffin here.....it is probably a case of a lack of talent (Hate saying that but.....)at this point to make the games they want to make,...maybe they need fresh talent. A new engine might not fix anything at all if the issue is with the in house talent and management. Maybe they are not competent enough to even make a good engine....
Yeah, it might not. But unless they're complete amateurs, they'll have a look at the current flaws and will have the ability, without legacy constraints, to design around them.

They may not be entirely successful, but they will have tried. It might exhibit issues, but they will be different. I very much see Bethesda as the "Enterprise software" developer. It isn't the ability of the engineers, but rather management afraid of the risks and downtime involved in making a proper product. Unfortunately, they could have done it from the beginning and every time they bolt on new features on top they're compounding risks that their hand is going to be forced.

Last edited:

EJS

The Fallen
The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
Despite all the crap this game is shoving down our throats, I am still interested - if Bethesda can get it running a bit better. 10-15 FPS on the X is a disgrace.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
In their defence: the cpu in these console are still jaguar. Years are passed. Their engine is not cpu friendly. Is not like the X or the Pro have improved it.

Evergarden

Oct 25, 2017
They really shouldn't have shipped this game. First the beta problem, then 60GB day 1 patch and now this. I wonder what will it take to make them realize their engine is shit.

hydruxo

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
It just works

I've been a longtime fan of Bethesda but playing the FO76 beta was a real eye opener. This game should have never been released in the state that its in. Performance wise it's a disaster.

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
And people will still buy the game by the boat loads and excuse Bethesda for their shoddy work citing nostalgia and idiosyncrasies of their tech.

In their defence: the cpu in these console are still jaguar. Years are passed. Their engine is not cpu friendly. Is not like the X or the Pro have improved it.

Last I checked, all their games were not being sold to as of yet to be discovered hardware besides PC and consoles. This means even after years with the "Jaguar" CPU they still have not been able to optimize their game for it.

Fastidioso

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
And people will still buy the game by the boat loads and excuse Bethesda for their shoddy work citing nostalgia and idiosyncrasies of their tech.

Last I checked, all their games were not being sold to as of yet to be discovered hardware besides PC and consoles. This means even after years with the "Jaguar" CPU they still have not been able to optimize their game for it.
I don't understand what you said in the last sentence. But again, I just said it was full predictable knowing the limit of the console hardware and their engine.

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017
Well, there you go, a full 60 euros -early access- turd of a game. And that's not the worst thing about it. The whole thing is just a terrible idea: a game that doesn't know what it is or what it wants to be. Fallout 76 will haunt Bethesda for years.

zombiejames

Oct 25, 2017
Seen Horizon, Witcher 3, or Red Dead 2? Large open world's that look great, run great, and aren't buggy as shit are definitely possible with these CPUs.