• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017

OK, brief summary for anyone who can't watch this. I'll edit it into my first post in the topic too:

- Game uses CryEngine tech promoting a grounded, almost photo-realistic look.
- 22 GB Day 1 patch installed for the test.
- Texture resolution, Shadow, Motion Blur and Draw Distance same across all consoles.
- Low resolution assets and streaming shared across all consoles too.
- All consoles suffer from heavy pop in and have objects appear on the same spots.
- Generally visual settings are largely identical with Pro and XBX having slightly larger draw distance.
- Texture filtering is poor on all consoles.

- XB1 and PS4: 900p. No signs of dynamic resolution.
- PS4 gets improved ambient occlusion.

- Pro: Native 1080p with even more enhanced AO than PS4.
- XBX: Native 1440p with AO quality roughly between PS4 and Pro quality
- Besides few terrain pop in differences, not much else different.

- Loading times can be upto 2 mins on standard PS4.
- First boot: XBX is the fastest to load on stock drive, XBO second, PS4 Pro third and PS4 slowest to load
- Loading game from menu speeds: XBX -> Pro -> XBO -> PS4

- OG PS4/XB1: Frame rate is capped at 31 FPS causing uneven pattern and stutters.
- Along with stutters from above, streaming stutters can also occur when traveling.
- Performance generally flip flops between PS4 and XB1 but running causes more streaming issues.
- In-engine cut-scenes cause huge frame drops on XB1 with drops upto 17 FPS.

- Pro and XBX: Also capped at 31 FPS but hold onto the frame rate more steadily than base consoles.
- Pro typically runs a few frames lower than XBX in stress. Neither console eliminates stuttering while traveling.

- Performance wise: XBX -> Pro -> PS4 -> XB1

Last edited by a moderator:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
oh boy, currently in a meeting. Will watch (and post brief summary) after it's over. Definitely looking forward to this one though I feel my gaming laptop will give a much better experience than my PS4 Pro.

--

OK, brief summary for anyone who can't watch this. I'll edit it into my first post in the topic too:

- Game uses CryEngine tech promoting a grounded, almost photo-realistic look.
- 22 GB Day 1 patch installed for the test.
- Texture resolution, Shadow, Motion Blur and Draw Distance same across all consoles.
- Low resolution assets and streaming shared across all consoles too.
- All consoles suffer from heavy pop in and have objects appear on the same spots.
- Generally visual settings are largely identical with Pro and XBX having slightly larger draw distance.
- Texture filtering is poor on all consoles.

- XB1 and PS4: 900p. No signs of dynamic resolution.
- PS4 gets improved ambient occlusion.

- Pro: Native 1080p with even more enhanced AO than PS4.
- XBX: Native 1440p with AO quality roughly between PS4 and Pro quality
- Besides few terrain pop in differences, not much else different.

- Loading times can be upto 2 mins on standard PS4.
- First boot: XBX is the fastest to load on stock drive, XBO second, PS4 Pro third and PS4 slowest to load
- Loading game from menu speeds: XBX -> Pro -> XBO -> PS4

- OG PS4/XB1: Frame rate is capped at 31 FPS causing uneven pattern and stutters.
- Along with stutters from above, streaming stutters can also occur when traveling.
- Performance generally flip flops between PS4 and XB1 but running causes more streaming issues.
- In-engine cut-scenes cause huge frame drops on both with XB1 drops as low as 17 FPS.

- Pro and XBX: Also capped at 31 FPS but hold onto the frame rate more steadily than base consoles.
- Pro typically runs a few frames lower than XBX in stress. Neither console eliminates stuttering while traveling.

- Performance wise: XBX -> Pro -> PS4 -> XB1

Last edited:

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Guessing XBX is the best console version?

Seen comparisons between the consoles and PC and particularly in lighting, PC blows them away

space_nut

Oct 28, 2017
NJ
User Banned (3 days): Constant console warring, ignoring previous warnings, posting incorrect statements
Awesome stuff! 1440p and best fps on the X :) Nearly double the res over 1080p and smoother fps. As always best on the X

And that loading! Extremely high speeds on the X ahead of all the consoles significantly

Though I think this game isn't a good patch for enhancements. Seems the engine is not well optimized

Last edited:

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yowzers. So 1X is the best of bunch but even that is poor. If you have OG PS4 or Xbox, the PS4 is the best choice. If you have all, 1X is the best choice due to loading speeds and overall performance. Still, a poor showing on all systems for a game the does not look that great.

Bouncy sub 30 for OG systems and mostly 30 on next Gen but still has awful drops.

Pop in is also horrible. Even the title screen looks rough.

They need to sort the 31fps out.

OP
OP
Theorry

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
It's been a trend with the op. Every DF thread he posts within 30 minutes is just the video.
He the vid was already up for 35 min. ;)
Just not the biggest fan of putting everything in the OP. DF relies on clicks. People appreciate them and their info so give them a watch. :)

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like a game best avoided on consoles for the moment. Will wait to see what future patches do on PC, as I do think I will enjoy this game.

BouncyFrag

Oct 27, 2017
The frame pacing is a pain on the One X. I tried to play through it but can't. We should get a patch in about week and a half and I'll gladly get back into this as I was enjoying everything else in the game.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the video makes it seem pretty bad on consoles but it actually turned out a lot better than I feared given how PC oriented the dev is (at least on Pro and X). Honestly my only real problem with it is the pop in, besides that performance is pretty steady on Pro. Hopefully they can fix that 31 fps lock to erase the frame pacing, but like I said I'd prefer the pop in to be reduced if possible.

Why no pc comparisons?

I'm sure it's coming, they probably want to have a vid focusing solely on it. This game is one of the rare cases where the PC version is clearly ahead of all console versions in many ways. The lighting and shadows comparison I saw in the OT between pc/pro/X was leagues ahead on pc.

Joeyro

Oct 28, 2017
Jeez the loading time is the biggest offender for me, the only comparable game I remember playing is probably Xcom 2 and it got rougher as it went on. Hopefully they'll be able to lock the fps to 30 and reduce the loading time. I can live with pop-in.

Oct 27, 2017
Not everyone can watch the video immediately. As mentioned above, it's a trend with OP and DF threads. Just drops the video as the OP and abandons thread with no summary.

I think it's fair to give DF the click if you want to have a discussion of their analysis and even better to discuss after watching the video. No Laziness detected...from the OP....

Kraken3dfx

Oct 25, 2017
Denver, CO
PC version it is. I'm sure they'll patch up the console versions to be better at some point, but right now those versions seem really lacking across the board. Other than the occasional hiccup and the known bugs, it's been a pretty flawless, beautiful experience on my GTX1070 setup.

Also running off of an SSD on the PC makes load times way more tolerable.

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want to see a quick little PC vs pro/x comparison there's this

As you can see from the one interior comparison the lighting/shadow differences are incredible.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
How good are the PS4 PRO and Xbone X Settings compared to PC? It's pretty good that they managed to get it run at 30fps

imt558

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Awesome stuff! 1440p and best fps on the X :) Nearly double the res over 1080p and smoother fps. As always best on the X
And that loading! Extremely high speeds on the X ahead of all the consoles significantly

Bragging about game performance and even if they aren't good and then..

Though I think this game isn't a good patch for enhancements. Seems the engine is not well optimized

...criticizing about game performance

Last edited:

Fiery Phoenix

Oct 26, 2017
I really do think this game could have used another 3-6 months in the oven. A lot of these technical hiccups could be ironed out in that timeframe. As it stands, I'm probably not buying it until the end of the year.

Raide

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
How good are the PS4 PRO and Xbone X Settings compared to PC? It's pretty good that they managed to get it run at 30fps

Pretty much identical settings across all consoles, apart from the lack of AO on the Xbox One version. Texture filtering, pop in etc is pretty much the same. One X wins due to 1440p making things look cleaner overall.

Gwynbleidd17

Oct 28, 2017
Oh ok. Do you know which effects are missing?
This is from a different Youtube comparison:

0f7d1120-fc83-4f67-9540-b1417c785636.png

Volumetric lighting is completely missing as well:

02037edb-cfe7-45fa-8836-41309b59aa63.png

Edit: Beaten

Atolm

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder which settings the consoles use. Medium perhaps?

Last edited:

Paul

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Decade old tablet jaguar CPU really isn't designed to run open world game with complex NPC simulation of 2000 entities.
What really gets me besides the pop-in is the initial loading time...on my 7 year old PC with 5 year old SSD the loading takes around 2 seconds....on PS4, 2 minutes. Just brutal difference.

Tyaren

Character Artist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

PS4 Pro and XBox One X too weak for shoes. :(

I think it is fair to say, that is game is not well optimized on consoles. The PC version is vastly superior in performance and the visual department.

Decade old tablet jaguar CPU really isn't designed to run open world game with complex NPC simulation of 2000 entities.
Assassin's Creed Origins however performs and looks quite good on consoles, especially PS4 Pro and X...

Last edited:

Psychotron

Oct 26, 2017
Is this a marketing BOT account? User never seems to add anything meaningful to the discussion apart from terse "Beast"-like drive by comments.

I've posted about how annoying space nut is with that shit and his smiley face at the end. I do have to have to say though that in the actual X threads nut seems fine, lol. It's just bullshit statements like "as always best on the X", which is just a lie and bait for a console fanboy fight.

edit: I see they've been banned. Hopefully he/she will just chill a bit when they come back. Being excited for your machine succeeding is great, it's just the other stuff.

As for the game, fix that frame pacing and I'm in for an X copy. It really looks great but I can't handle bad frame pacing.

Last edited:

Derrick01

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, is that due to the global illumination on pc?

That's probably a big factor. It can be a really demanding game on PC if you turn most things up to ultra but some of that stuff is just plain missing on the pro and X versions. I do wonder how much was taken out for optimization and if it was on purpose or a bug. We'll see over the coming weeks I suppose, but even though it runs pretty solidly on Pro seeing that video really made me wish I had a high end GPU.

Given the scope of this project and how they had to kickstart it to even get it made, I can forgive the bugs and lack of technical polish. It's a rather nice looking open world too, especially the forests areas. I'm trying to find out more but apparently they only had a $5,000,000 budget?

I think their kickstarter and other crowdfunding was around $5 mil but the main goal of that kickstarter was to show their potential investor there was enough interest in the game for them to fund the rest. I think the last estimate I saw was 10-15 million but I wouldn't be surprised if it was a little higher than that. However they've already made the dev budget back and are in the black now with only 500k sold so they're in good shape.

Last edited:

benzy

Oct 25, 2017
Given the scope of this project and how they had to kickstart it to even get it made, I can forgive the bugs and lack of technical polish. It's a rather nice looking open world too, especially the forests areas. I'm trying to find out more but apparently they only had a $5,000,000 budget?

Oct 26, 2017
PS4 Pro and XBox One X too weak for shoes. :(

I think it is fair to say, that is game is not well optimized on consoles. The PC version is vastly superior in performance and the visual department.

Assassin's Creed Origins however performs and looks quite good on consoles, especially PS4 Pro and X...

You can't compare the games, ACO is a product made by a lot of Ubisoft studios with an in-house engine optimized for all the platform, the other is a 3rd party engine, not that good on consoles and the game was made by a new and small studio with limited budget. Even Prey, a small game in scale had problems on consoles and not on PC.